PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Brooks bar tape?

Makuman
05-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Just wondering how they feel before I shell out $50 for tape:). Comfortable or if they will last a long time? Thinking of the natural color to matchy matchy my saddle.

Ken Robb
05-26-2017, 11:46 PM
I like mine. I have my bars high so there is little pressure on my hands and I don't need a squishy padded tape.

One of our pals sells Handlebra and the reports are that it is even nicer than Brooks.

merlincustom1
05-26-2017, 11:51 PM
It feels good and wears well. Great grip in the rain. Some leather cleaner every once in awhile. I'm glad I made the switch. I used to change tape twice a year due to wear/dirt, but this is a mon-issue with leather. I just decided to replace it with some custom leather from Busyman.

bismo37
05-26-2017, 11:53 PM
If you're looking at the Cambium cotton tape, I've read it is difficult to put on because it's got no stretch and is stiff. Haven't tried it but I might soon to match a Cambium saddle.

I have Brooks leather bar tape which is easy to apply. No cushioning compared to modern synthetic or cork tapes. The stuff lasts forever and wears well, though. Only drawback I've encountered is that the Brooks leather is slippery IMO.

Makuman
05-26-2017, 11:58 PM
I like mine. I have my bars high so there is little pressure on my hands and I don't need a squishy padded tape.

One of our pals sells Handlebra and the reports are that it is even nicer than Brooks.

Wow those are really nice! That's got to be the most expensive bar tape out there!!

Makuman
05-27-2017, 12:03 AM
It feels good and wears well. Great grip in the rain. Some leather cleaner every once in awhile. I'm glad I made the switch. I used to change tape twice a year due to wear/dirt, but this is a mon-issue with leather. I just decided to replace it with some custom leather from Busyman.

I could be wrong...maybe Busyman has to be the most expensive tape out there...I couldn't find a price but dang they look like a great custom tape and saddle pair!

Makuman
05-27-2017, 12:06 AM
If you're looking at the Cambium cotton tape, I've read it is difficult to put on because it's got no stretch and is stiff. Haven't tried it but I might soon to match a Cambium saddle.

I have Brooks leather bar tape which is easy to apply. No cushioning compared to modern synthetic or cork tapes. The stuff lasts forever and wears well, though. Only drawback I've encountered is that the Brooks leather is slippery IMO.

Post a pic if you do and I will if I beat you to it! I do have a cambium natural that I think will look pretty awesome matching.
Never had leather tape but have lizard skins. They can get slippery when wet.

nighthawk
05-27-2017, 12:08 AM
I have also liked the Brooks tape that I've used. Wraps clean, looks good, feels great (I don't wear gloves generally or need any padding)... wears fairly well. Have rewrapped tape multiple times without issue.

I have also used handlebra... and would say that it is noticeablly higher quality leather.. softer, wraps really smoothly... but you pay a premium (just about twice as much, right?).

I also like Fizik microtex.. so what the heck do I know.

Hilltopperny
05-27-2017, 04:42 AM
I have used both the leather and cambium wraps. The leather is good, but not much padding if your into that. The cambium cotton has no give, gets dirty quickly and is slippery when wet. Not a fan of the cambium cotton tape, but it does seem quite durable.
I put fabric leather wrap on my Mxxxxxo and prefer it to the brooks. Berthoud makes some nice leather wrap as well, but even more expensive.

marciero
05-27-2017, 05:00 AM
The Brooks leather is luxurious and looks great. I also dont wear gloves and love the feel. I also use microtex on other bikes and prefer a hard smooth feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cicli
05-27-2017, 05:01 AM
I like Brooks tape. It works well.

csm
05-27-2017, 07:01 AM
It feels nice. My wife ordered some to match the saddle on her Fargo. It looks good too.
I can get pic if desired.

ColonelJLloyd
05-27-2017, 07:57 AM
I've used the Brooks tape, but I think the Velo Orange seamless tape is better.

lookout2015
05-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Handlebra, Berthoud, and Cinelli Imperial are a bit nicer if you don't mind the cost differential - fewer / no seams, bit thicker

sales guy
05-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Does installing it on a bike for a show count as using it?

It seemed really nice. Was a pain for bar end plugs and getting it to lay right around the lever bodies was more of a pain, but it seemed nice.

Plavcan
05-27-2017, 02:06 PM
I use the Brooks microfibre tape. Wasn't sure when I ordered it and didn't want to shell out the $ for leather if it wasn't gonna work. Feels great, terrific color match with the honey B17.

Rimbaud
05-28-2017, 12:04 AM
Who knew there were so many leather tape options? I think I'll try some HandleBra on my next bike (current bike is not worthy :(). I wonder how well the white holds up/cleans up?

Another option is the Grand Bois tape sold by Compass Cycles (seamless).

merlincustom1
05-28-2017, 05:54 AM
I could be wrong...maybe Busyman has to be the most expensive tape out there...I couldn't find a price but dang they look like a great custom tape and saddle pair!

My Busyman stuff just arrived. I picked a perforated design with a contrasting color underneath. The tape was $155.

Makuman
05-28-2017, 11:18 AM
My Busyman stuff just arrived. I picked a perforated design with a contrasting color underneath. The tape was $155.

How much was the saddle?

Catman
05-28-2017, 11:33 AM
It's good tape. Bontrager also makes a few leather look tapes that wear pretty well, but the colors are limited.

merlincustom1
05-28-2017, 01:27 PM
How much was the saddle?

$250. He does quality work

bismo37
05-29-2017, 12:49 AM
Just put on Brooks Cambium "cotton" bar wrap to match the Cambium C17 saddle. Both are "rust" color. (The Brooks Cambium rubber tape has no "rust" version.) It is thinner than regular tapes so you can see the contours of the underlying cables but that's no biggie. It's also so thin that it offers no cushioning if you want that sort of thing. The grippiness is better than the Brooks leather tape it replaced. (I thought Brooks leather tape became slippery once it worn in.)

The cotton Cambium tape was actually easy to wrap. The adhesive strip on the back lets the tape lay down nice, flat and snug as you wrap. Overall, it has a nice finish. I'm happy with it.

(Excuse the garage bike space clutter.)

http://i.imgur.com/xoyDzYk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PAFHCci.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dmI6SVN.jpg

cachagua
05-29-2017, 11:17 AM
That's not clutter. I can see the floor!

That tape looks great, though, h'mm. Might have to try that. If it were really hard as a rock, one could add a little cushion underneath, I'll bet.

tuscanyswe
05-29-2017, 12:12 PM
$250. He does quality work

Thats not bad. The smps cost a lot more. Nice saddle tape combo!
Edit: not that much more actually after checking its just that it ads up :)
370 aud = 275 usd for the work + original cost of saddle + shipping both ways.

Makuman
05-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Just put on Brooks Cambium "cotton" bar wrap to match the Cambium C17 saddle. Both are "rust" color. (The Brooks Cambium rubber tape has no "rust" version.) It is thinner than regular tapes so you can see the contours of the underlying cables but that's no biggie. It's also so thin that it offers no cushioning if you want that sort of thing. The grippiness is better than the Brooks leather tape it replaced. (I thought Brooks leather tape became slippery once it worn in.)

The cotton Cambium tape was actually easy to wrap. The adhesive strip on the back lets the tape lay down nice, flat and snug as you wrap. Overall, it has a nice finish. I'm happy with it.

(Excuse the garage bike space clutter.)

http://i.imgur.com/xoyDzYk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PAFHCci.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dmI6SVN.jpg

Looks great! Think I will have to try it out myself.