PDA

View Full Version : Best of the bargain Campagnolo pre-built wheels?

paredown
05-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Time is the scarce resource... I'm still gathering parts for the couple of wheels I'm planning but want to get riding...

I'm looking at picking up a pair of bargain Campy wheels, and wondered which of the bargain wheel sets is the best deal.

I see older gen Khamsin for < $117
Khamsin G3 (newer) <$148
Vento G3 ~$212
Sirrocco 35 ~$240
(And this is just Bike Pro--haven't even started on the sales.)

The Khamsin's especially seem cheaper than you can buy parts!

What I have now are a few sets of Chorus or Centaur 32 3x; one with Open Pros (waiting on front to be redone), one with DT RR 1.1 and one with Ambrosio Evolution (need truing and/or rebuilding--not really happy with these).

So whatever I bought should be complimentary and/or more zoot than the standard stuff I've got. Not ready for tubulars (been there, not affordable for me yet), not ready for really wide (no suitable bike), so I'm still in the 23/25 range on tires

Also I see a couple of pair of used Protons (one on the 'Bay from one of our guys; one on the board both < $200)--so that would also be an alternative, if used Protons would be better than new bargain wheels.

Thoughts?

thwart
05-26-2017, 11:30 AM
What I have now are a few sets of Chorus or Centaur 32 3x; one with Open Pros (waiting on front to be redone), one with DT RR 1.1 and one with Ambrosio Evolution (need truing and/or rebuilding--not really happy with these).

So you have decent choices of wheels now. I'm missing what would you gain with the above... ?

You may want to try some used carbon clinchers (Reynolds Attacks, for example) for a different feel. Yeah, pricier than the above, but significantly 'different'.

BTW, Vittoria Corsa Elites have changed the cost/benefit issue of running tubulars. Same price as decent clincher tires, and yet very good tubular performance.

ntb1001
05-26-2017, 11:35 AM
I bought a set of Sirrocca 35 for my daughter's bike. I havent ridden them...but they seem like a really nice wheelset...and they look great. My daughter is young, so she's not hard on them...but she also isnt really cautious about pot holes and such, and the wheels seem really good.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

jghall
05-26-2017, 11:47 AM
I'm with thwart in that I'm not sure you're gaining much. Other than having a cool set of new wheels.

That said, imo, the Zonda's are best bang for buck. Obviously a bit more dough than those listed.

From the list below, Sirrocca would be as low as I'd go.

tv_vt
05-26-2017, 11:47 AM
How about stepping up a bit and getting some Zondas? I've never seen a negative comment about them. (I have a pair and so does my wife.)

dana_e
05-26-2017, 11:54 AM
with the wide rim, the new ones

Ralph
05-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Zonda's.....at 1550 grams.....and super strong..... are the best low priced wheel bargain out there....with Shimano or Campy Freehubs......period.

thirdgenbird
05-26-2017, 12:14 PM
I got going to echo the Zonda vote. They may be the best wheel value period.

From your list above, I would go khmasin g3 if I wanted a shallow rim and scirocco 35 if deeper was preferred. If it didn't manner, I would go with the scirocco 35. If I remember right, these are the cheapest wheels with the lighter alloy axle hub front and rear.

DarkStar
05-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Zonda's.....at 1550 grams.....and super strong..... are the best low priced wheel bargain out there....with Shimano or Campy Freehubs......period.
Have Zondas, and they are strong, also fast. 2d season under my 215lbs and not a single issue to report.

paredown
05-26-2017, 01:37 PM
So you have decent choices of wheels now. I'm missing what would you gain with the above... ?

You may want to try some used carbon clinchers (Reynolds Attacks, for example) for a different feel. Yeah, pricier than the above, but significantly 'different'.

BTW, Vittoria Corsa Elites have changed the cost/benefit issue of running tubulars. Same price as decent clincher tires, and yet very good tubular performance.

Voice of reason--I think I got fired up about other people's choices of cool wheels in that thread--you know, you start thinking that you are so retro if you are "still" riding Open Pros...

I may still want to go high zoot at some point, but you've got me thinking about tubulars (again)--and carbon would be cool to try, just so I said I did.

Zondas sound like a great price point to try out pre-builts. I may get there....

Thanks all,

Dean

Hilltopperny
05-26-2017, 01:43 PM
My favorite pre built campy wheels are neutron ultras. I picked some up new last year for around $500 overseas. I haven't made the jump to carbon yet and after buying the neutrons I don't feel the need.

Open pros with chorus hubs were my favorite wheels prior to the neutrons and still a great set of all around wheels.

alexstar
05-26-2017, 01:54 PM
At this point, I say go with the Zondas... they can be had for not too much more $ and they are great wheels. The Khamsin or Vento will roll fine but the Zondas are head and shoulders above them.

galgal
05-26-2017, 02:46 PM
I'll add to the Zonda recommends. Have 2 pairs, including the wider C17s. Excellent wheels for price. Replaced Record/OPs and are appreciably better. I doubt Khamsins or Ventos will be an improvement over Chorus/OP, apart from being new. Neutrons would be great too. I think there is a tubular set on NYC CL/ebay for $290. A while back, there were even cheaper clincher Neutrons on Bay Area CL.

cadence90
05-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Again, Zonda. The best bargain by far.

The lower-tier,older models are not worth it imo.

Tickdoc
05-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Partial to neutrons. Bought mine used so they weren't that much...damn fast and light.

sw3759
05-27-2017, 03:30 AM
i'll pile on by saying the zonda's are the best bang for the buck campy pre builts imo.I'll bet the new wider c17 is even better
neutrons are great wheels too but can be a bitch to mount most tires on them.

ceolwulf
05-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Hard to argue with the Zondas but Scirocco 35s are pretty great for what they are. Somewhat aero, not at all light but very very strong. Actually Khamsins are pretty much as good minus the aero part. I use them for gravel and I weigh just about 16 stone*. Never once touched either of these with a spoke wrench. Great training wheels, both of them.

*sounds heavier that way somehow?

Catman
05-28-2017, 01:18 AM
I have a set of Zondas on one of my rides (Serotta Concours) & they're great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk