PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anybody else notice forum logins timeout quickly?

dgauthier
05-26-2017, 03:37 AM
How long is the timeout before a member is logged out due to inactivity? I imagine it's been this way for years, but it seems I can't even finish a post before I'm logged out and have to log in again. At least the content of my post is preserved. Is it just me?

AngryScientist
05-26-2017, 06:18 AM
that sounds odd.

might be something with your browser?

i havent logged in in months it seems.

eddief
05-26-2017, 07:40 AM
either. always up all the time.

Keith A
05-26-2017, 07:47 AM
How long is the timeout before a member is logged out due to inactivity? I imagine it's been this way for years, but it seems I can't even finish a post before I'm logged out and have to log in again. At least the content of my post is preserved. Is it just me?I don't think there is any setting in vBulletin which logs out a user after a certain about of time...but I can check. Did you turn on the "Remember me?" when you log in?

NHAero
05-26-2017, 10:42 AM
I have 'remember me' checked and have to log in almost every time I go away from the page, and it's been that way for a long time. Running Firefox on a Mac OS.

I don't think there is any setting in vBulletin which logs out a user after a certain about of time...but I can check. Did you turn on the "Remember me?" when you log in?

gemship
05-26-2017, 10:55 AM
How long is the timeout before a member is logged out due to inactivity? I imagine it's been this way for years, but it seems I can't even finish a post before I'm logged out and have to log in again. At least the content of my post is preserved. Is it just me?

I've had this problem too for years but I don't post much. I don't use the remember me option nor is my browser up to date so maybe that may have something to do with it?

Keith A
05-26-2017, 11:05 AM
I did a quick search on the Internet, and I found reports of similar problems on other vBulletin forums. There were a number of recommendations to delete all your cookies to resolve this issue. So if you can, give this a try and let me know if this helps or not.

dgauthier
05-26-2017, 04:02 PM
I did a quick search on the Internet, and I found reports of similar problems on other vBulletin forums. There were a number of recommendations to delete all your cookies to resolve this issue. So if you can, give this a try and let me know if this helps or not.

Thanks. I'm running Safari on fully patched El Capitan. As others have mentioned, it's been this way for years. It's no big deal, I just thought I'd bring it up.

I regularly delete my cookies, cache and history from the terminal (because it creeps me out to see Competitive Cyclist ads coming up on CNN), so I don't think deleting my cookies will affect anything. I never turn on "Remember Me" though, which might just do the trick. I'll try it and report back.

Keith A
05-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Thanks. I'm running Safari on fully patched El Capitan. As others have mentioned, it's been this way for years. It's no big deal, I just thought I'd bring it up.

I regularly delete my cookies, cache and history from the terminal (because it creeps me out to see Competitive Cyclist ads coming up on CNN), so I don't think deleting my cookies will affect anything. I never turn on "Remember Me" though, which might just do the trick. I'll try it and report back.Thanks for the detailed info. Please do let me know if this makes a difference as I'd like to solve this problem for everyone.

cadence90
05-26-2017, 04:35 PM
I can't even finish a post before I'm logged out and have to log in again. At least the content of my post is preserved.
I have also had the timeout problem, ever since I joined.

That said, this feature is fantastic. It has saved me many, many times.

jlwdm
05-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Can't remember the last time I logged in.

Jeff

monarchguy
05-26-2017, 09:22 PM
I don't have the "Remember Me" box checked, so get logged out fairly quick. It's about 15 minutes or so. Wish it was longer, but not really a problem.

-- Dan

dgauthier
05-27-2017, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the detailed info. Please do let me know if this makes a difference as I'd like to solve this problem for everyone.

I can confirm turning on "Remember Me" when I log in completely eliminates the problem. Thanks for the tip.

I tend to never use "remember me"-style buttons because I don't want my browser to be an unfettered gateway to all my accounts. This is a *bike forum*, fer heaven's sake, so it should be fine, and emptying my cache immediately makes the browser forget me anyway.

cadence90
05-27-2017, 05:53 AM
I can confirm turning on "Remember Me" when I log in completely eliminates the problem. Thanks for the tip.

Double confirm.
I had no idea what "Remember Me" did before this thread, but it works great.

dgauthier
05-27-2017, 05:55 AM
Double confirm.
I had no idea what "Remember Me" did before this thread, but it works great.

I used to know what "Remember Me" did, but I forgot. :D

cadence90
05-27-2017, 06:09 AM
I used to know what "Remember Me" did, but I forgot. :D

:D :D :D

All I know is that it is not what my ex did.