PDA

View Full Version : 29" Mountain Bike Rims -- a little wider please?

cachagua
05-26-2017, 01:15 AM
There must have been endless discussion of this around here, and I'm just not remembering the right search terms...

Anyway, what are people using for rims, to go with 29X2.2 or 2.4 tires? I tried a pair of 2.2s on Belgium-Pluses, and it really looked wrong.

I mean -- after all, that's *why* there's such a thing as Belgium-Pluses, right? Because someone put a 28C on an Open Pro and it looked wrong!

All kidding aside: what are the next increments in width, in a nice-quality 700C rim-brake rim? Not crazy downhill wide, not Fat Bike wide, just somewhat wide.

RudAwkning
05-26-2017, 01:29 AM
There must have been endless discussion of this around here, and I'm just not remembering the right search terms...

Anyway, what are people using for rims, to go with 29X2.2 or 2.4 tires? I tried a pair of 2.2s on Belgium-Pluses, and it really looked wrong.

I mean -- after all, that's *why* there's such a thing as Belgium-Pluses, right? Because someone put a 28C on an Open Pro and it looked wrong!

All kidding aside: what are the next increments in width, in a nice-quality 700C rim-brake rim? Not crazy downhill wide, not Fat Bike wide, just somewhat wide.

I like the WTB KOM i25 rim. If you want a stiffer rim or are really hard on your $hit, go with the Frequency i25.

Mikej
05-26-2017, 06:37 AM

What are you even getting at? When you bring up wide rims and 29er in the same sentence, be prepared. You will most likely not find any of the newer wide inner width rims in rim-brake. But if you want 29er rims for a mountain bike, Stan's ARCH MK3 are built for 2.25-2.4" mtb tires.

.RJ
05-26-2017, 07:01 AM
I have several wheels built now with Easton/Race face arc rims - they've been great. Reasonable price, come in different inside widths (24/27/30/35/45mm).

Notubes has a few options too, around 26 & 29mm wide inside.

old fat man
05-26-2017, 07:49 AM
I have several wheels built now with Easton/Race face arc rims - they've been great. Reasonable price, come in different inside widths (24/27/30/35/45mm).

Notubes has a few options too, around 26 & 29mm wide inside.

But he wants to run rim brakes with his 2.2+ tires...

RudAwkning
05-26-2017, 09:41 AM
But he wants to run rim brakes with his 2.2+ tires...

oops. missed the "rim brake" part.

commonguy001
05-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Probably not nice enough but the Sun Rhyno Lite is an option. It's something like 27-28 mm wide.
I'd probably just ride the Heds as they're a nicer and lighter rim.

sandyrs
05-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Heavy and not fancy but there's http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/cliff-hanger-622

kingpin75s
05-26-2017, 01:44 PM
I have a set of CK / Belgium Plus rim brake 29er wheels and will be running 2.35 Nobby Nics up front and 2.25 in the rear for one of my non-suspension corrected 29ers.

Look fine and no issues. My shop swears by them for this use, but HED is of course local here.

They are not wide but the are light and very strong and I expect to be able to run in the low 20s upfront for midwest XC.

Run them is you have them I would recommend.

That said, the Rhyno Lites and Cliffhangers mentioned above are both good rims. I will be building a set of wheels based on the Cliffhangers at some point, I expect. Seems a bit heavy duty for your needs but sweet rims.

cachagua
05-27-2017, 01:04 AM
I know, rim brakes. What a cave-dweller! But there they are on the bike, and I don't quite see a new frame, calipers n' levers, discs, and hubs in the next few paychecks, so -- go with what I've got.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I might try the Suns or keep using the Belgium Pluses I've already got. They feel a little weird to mount such a big tire on, and they do result in the light-bulb-shaped tire section we're all taught to dread, but there's this: if I put the 2.2s on the B+ wheels, I can switch to Bon Jons on TB-14s and not have to adjust the brakes.

I love not adjusting brakes!

d_douglas
05-27-2017, 04:05 AM
I know, rim brakes. What a cave-dweller! But there they are on the bike, and I don't quite see a new frame, calipers n' levers, discs, and hubs in the next few paychecks, so -- go with what I've got.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I might try the Suns or keep using the Belgium Pluses I've already got. They feel a little weird to mount such a big tire on, and they do result in the light-bulb-shaped tire section we're all taught to dread, but there's this: if I put the 2.2s on the B+ wheels, I can switch to Bon Jons on TB-14s and not have to adjust the brakes.

I love not adjusting brakes!

As you know, if you have disc brakes, no need to adjust pads between wheel sets!!

That said, I would just use what you have and not sweat it. Unless this frame is a masterpiece, I would guess that the moment you try a disc brake setup, you'll see how much better they are. I would just sell the frame and fork and wheels and invest in a DB setup.
Bear in mind, I am incredibly cheap, so I completely understand your position - I just wouldn't invest more money in a rim brakes off-road bike.

FYI, my road bike uses Belgium rims and they're very nice (for road)

I've owned 26" rim brake Cliffhanger rims (on disc hubs) and they were also of excellent quality. Heavy but super nice.

kingpin75s
05-27-2017, 11:34 AM
As you know, if you have disc brakes, no need to adjust pads between wheel sets!!

I think that you might find that is not the case. Unless you use the same hubs for both wheel sets, you generally have to make adjustments for wheels swaps with disc rakes as well. There are minor variations as to where the rotors land between hub models. This has been my experience and I have seen a lot of threads reporting the same.

RudAwkning
05-27-2017, 07:56 PM
I think that you might find that is not the case. Unless you use the same hubs for both wheel sets, you generally have to make adjustments for wheels swaps with disc rakes as well. There are minor variations as to where the rotors land between hub models. This has been my experience and I have seen a lot of threads reporting the same.

Yup. I've had to sand down the spider on some centerlock rotors to get alternate wheelsets to line up between the pads.

charliedid
05-28-2017, 08:31 AM
http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/cliff-hanger-622

ColonelJLloyd
05-28-2017, 09:27 AM
I just wouldn't invest more money in a rim brakes off-road bike.

Agreed. The few options for a wider rim are going to add a lot of weight for very marginal gains in width. You might even find that your brakes cannot accommodate a 30mm rim or you will have a bad straddle cable angle and performance and modulation will suffer.