PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a 9-speed cassette on a 10-speed Dura-Ace hub?

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2006, 10:29 AM
I got a great deal from SC53 at the FL Ramble on these wheels for my cross bike project with DA 10-speed hubs. But I want to keep everything 9-speed so I can interchange the wheels from my road bike. Can I use a 9-speed cassette on this 10-speed hub? does it take some sort of adapter? If so, where would I get it?

BBD

Smiley
08-23-2006, 10:35 AM
NO not with a Durace 10 speed hub , yes with an Ultegra 10 speed hub, looks like the Queen gets a 10 speed make over :)

Jeremy
08-23-2006, 10:42 AM
You cannot use a stock Shimano 9sp cassette on a stock D/A 10sp hub. The splines are taller, so the 9sp cogs will not fit. The i.d. of the splines are the same, which is why 10sp cogs fit on 9sp hubs. There are two ways to use 9sp gearing with the 7800 hub. The D/A freewheel body can be machined to accept 9sp cogs. It is easy if you have access to a lathe. I have done this as an experiment without any problems. Once done, the alloy splines are essentially the same as those on a DT or King hub. The second way is to order 10sp individual cogs from Cycle Dynamics, but use 9sp spacers when you install them.

Jeremy

Bruce K
08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Umm, Dave....

I guess your cross bike will be 10sp.

Or, you could ugrade the Queen and use the 9 speed parts on the cross bike.

BK

coylifut
08-23-2006, 11:12 AM
will the 7800 hub accept a 9 speed free hub body as a replacement?

Jeremy
08-23-2006, 11:24 AM
will the 7800 hub accept a 9 speed free hub body as a replacement?

The design is completely different. The 9sp body is self-contained with internal pawls and springs that engage teeth built into the inside surface of the cassette body. It is bolted to the hubshell with a 14mm (I think) hollow bolt. The 10sp 7800 body "floats" on the axle (the design is very similar to Campy) and has external pawls and springs that engage in a driver rimg that is part of the hub shell.

Jeremy

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2006, 11:50 AM
. . . it sounds like I have a coupla choices . . .

1) Get myself a lathe and modify the hub . . . Ouch! No, thanks!
2) Make my cross bike 10 speed instead of 9 speed . . . nope.
3) Get a 9-speed DA hub and have the rear wheel rebuilt . . . umm, maybe. Depends on cost.
4) Get the individual cogs and spacers from Cycle Dynamics and put together my own cogset . . . Umm, vague maybe. Sounds like a PITA.
5) Try to sell these wheels for the same price i got them for $200 for the set, and go from there with no financial loss. They're brand new Open Pro silver rims with these brand new and unused DA hubs . . . might be the best way out of this.

Any other suggestions? . . . that are biologically possible, that is! ;)

BBD

Smiley
08-23-2006, 11:58 AM
BBDave sc53 gave you a STEAL of a deal , look at how much just the hubs alone would cost you. Up-grade to 10 speed you el-cheapo :)

coylifut
08-23-2006, 12:01 PM
. . . it sounds like I have a coupla choices . . .

1) Get myself a lathe and modify the hub . . . Ouch! No, thanks!
2) Make my cross bike 10 speed instead of 9 speed . . . nope.
3) Get a 9-speed DA hub and have the rear wheel rebuilt . . . umm, maybe. Depends on cost.
4) Get the individual cogs and spacers from Cycle Dynamics and put together my own cogset . . . Umm, vague maybe. Sounds like a PITA.
5) Try to sell these wheels for the same price i got them for $200 for the set, and go from there with no financial loss. They're brand new Open Pro silver rims with these brand new and unused DA hubs . . . might be the best way out of this.

Any other suggestions? . . . that are biologically possible, that is! ;)

BBD

how about one of those j-tek shift mates? you'll still need to run a 10 sp cassette and chain, but it'll click 9 times with your shifters.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html

vaxn8r
08-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Time to upgrade. You'll love 10 sp. anyway. But, if you want to sell them I'll take them.

coylifut
08-23-2006, 12:22 PM
the buzzards are circling above. I bid $201

Bruce K
08-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Dave;

I left you a voicemail at work.

Call me and maybe we can engineer a tradde for a new set of 9sp cross wheels from cyclocrossworld.com

BK

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
So many vultures--uh, I mean folks anxious to help! ;)

Smiley, I know full well that Sarah gave me a heck of a deal. No dispute there! But I have no funds available to upgrade TWO bikes to 10speed, because that's what it would take.

Jeremy has offered to help me out with his lathe . . . He says he's done three of these before.

BBD

ergott
08-23-2006, 09:32 PM
http://www.madtvstore.com/ProductImages/look-what-i-can-do-black-sm.jpg

Look at me! I've got a lathe!

Louis
08-23-2006, 09:56 PM
That's gonna be one heck of a king-size lathe if the wheel is already built up!

I can see how you would do it on an un built-up hub, but how the heck do you get it in there if it's already part of a wheel?

ergott
08-23-2006, 10:06 PM
That's gonna be one heck of a king-size lathe if the wheel is already built up!

I can see how you would do it on an un built-up hub, but how the heck do you get it in there if it's already part of a wheel?

Freehub bodies are removeable.

93legendti
08-23-2006, 10:09 PM
how about one of those j-tek shift mates? you'll still need to run a 10 sp cassette and chain, but it'll click 9 times with your shifters.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html

Thanks for the tip! I have a pair of Dr. Cotcamp's Record Carbon Ergo shifters and no Campy wheels to use them with--voila!

Louis
08-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Oh.

Yet more proof that I've been late to change over to the new technology.

I've played around with freewheels and rebuilt old style hubs, but none of my "modern" cassette hubs have enough miles on them for me to have had to deal with them (yet).