PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Gluing

Hysbrian
08-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Ok so I'm going to try to glue my tubulars "sans-tape" this year. Can someone outline the basic steps that I need to follow to give this a try.
...time to bust out the elmers right??

pdxmech13
08-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I believe that both Too Tall and Cees have outlined this in the past.
Just use the search.

Big Dan
08-23-2006, 10:17 AM
If you search the forum you can find some good info.
This is from Park Tools...

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=101

Hysbrian
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I found most of the info in the forum. Parktools shows using a paint brush to put the glue on, whats the trick to keep it from just gluing itself together?

Big Dan
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I use a sandwich bag to apply the glue.
Move the bag around your fingers when it gets too sticky.

:cool:

coylifut
08-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I use a sandwich bag to apply the glue.
Move the bag around your fingers when it gets too sticky.

:cool:

thats a good idea, that way you can get it really thin and even across the surface

Too Tall
08-23-2006, 12:03 PM
First off, dang your creed just went up a notch or two :)

Work quick and use alot less glue than you think you need. Newbs tend to over apply glue. Very thin layers (multiple) is key to a great glue job. Panaracer cement has a nice brush built in...however I find tubes are easier to use for working quick and I can get all the glue out without resorting to dumping the can onto plastic...ick.

Congratulations :)

coylifut
08-23-2006, 12:08 PM
First off, dang your creed just went up a notch or two :)

Work quick and use alot less glue than you think you need. Newbs tend to over apply glue. Very thin layers (multiple) is key to a great glue job. Panaracer cement has a nice brush built in...however I find tubes are easier to use for working quick and I can get all the glue out without resorting to dumping the can onto plastic...ick.

Congratulations :)

did his cred up up because he's not using tape? I mean, he's a cx racer how much farther can his cred go up?

Needs Help
08-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Go here:

http://www.engr.ku.edu/~kuktl/

and click on Bicycle Research on the left. Then click on:

Tubular Tires: Adhesives and Practice (Parts 1-4)

Read the other listed articles on tubular gluing as well. The authors wrote the Park Tool instructions.

Shredder
08-23-2006, 02:55 PM
What's wrong with tape? Isn't it way easier to work with?

djg
08-23-2006, 07:48 PM
I like the park tools web site.

As an alternative to plastic bags, you might try nitrile or latex gloves. A big box of them costs a pittance and they'll keep the glue (or grease, for that matter) off your hands. I know I'm not the only one who finds a truing stand helpful as well--it's not that you need it, it's just that it's easier to keep things neat if the wheel is sitting on a stand.

Needs Help
08-24-2006, 01:42 AM
I know I'm not the only one who finds a truing stand helpful as well--it's not that you need it, it's just that it's easier to keep things neat if the wheel is sitting on a stand.
If you don't have a truing stand, suspending the wheel between two cardboard boxes also works quite well.

Dave B
08-24-2006, 06:42 AM
What's wrong with tape? Isn't it way easier to work with?

Yeah what is wrong withthe tape stuff. I used Tufo's extremem gluing tape on the recomendation of biketiresdirect.com I didn't buy ti from them, but they said it is wicked easy to use and just as good.

Was I dupped?! :)

Hysbrian
08-24-2006, 08:26 AM
well I used tufo tape last cross season and ran into a problem. I think that the contact area on it wasn't wide enough, and mud/water/snow was able to work its way in there. This wasn't a problem duing the race as it would hold fine, it was after the race, once the mud had dried that the tire would just kind of pop off.

I switched to this http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/tubulartape.html for the rest of the season and wsa set. No problems at all.

So how much glue are we talking like those little tube should get me through 1 set of wheels?

tbushnel
08-24-2006, 08:32 AM
If you don't have a truing stand, suspending the wheel between two cardboard boxes also works quite well.

thats a great idea. I have a stand but as a backup or to avoid messing up the stand thats a neat trick.
Ted.

coylifut
08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
well I used tufo tape last cross season and ran into a problem. I think that the contact area on it wasn't wide enough, and mud/water/snow was able to work its way in there. This wasn't a problem duing the race as it would hold fine, it was after the race, once the mud had dried that the tire would just kind of pop off.

I switched to this http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/tubulartape.html for the rest of the season and wsa set. No problems at all.

So how much glue are we talking like those little tube should get me through 1 set of wheels?

all the tires i've seen roll at cross races have been taped

Cary Ford
08-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Always amazed at how something as simple as gluing tubulars can be debated ad... ad naseum...

Make sure you mount your tires on the rims for a day or two without any glue to stretch them so you don't have to fight it when you're gluing.

You don't need a truing stand, cardboard boxes. You don't need a paint brush. Plastic bag or wrap on your index finger's enough to keep your hands clean while applying the glue.

If you use an entire tube of glue for one set of wheels, you've used too much glue!!!

3 VERY THIN coats on a brand new, never before glued rim. ONE thinner coat on the base tape on the tire. Let the glue get tacky, almost dry really.

Stick the tire on, put a little air in it, make sure it's centered, then pump that sucker up to 130-150 psi and let it dry.

Then stop worrying and start riding.