PDA

View Full Version : figured out actual tire clearance on 2016 rim brake Domane

eddief
05-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Just in case someone might be interested, I determined I can fit 28 mm Conti 4000 S tires mounted on A23 rims. Inflated tires measure just over 30 mm. Front one fits with room to spare. Rear one fits with just barely a margin of reasonable safety. I know my 28 mm Michelins are a bit smaller so may run Conti front, Michelin rear. Inflated to 75 in the back and 65 in the front, the bike seems really responsive and handles our **** roads quite nicely. I think even I can feel the stiffness in the big bottom bracket compared to my normal steel and ti bikes.

Bentley
05-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Timely thread. I am in a cycling program locally that occurs at a local bike shop that is a well known Trek Dealer. I was wandering around the shop prior to the class and I saw what appeared to be a Boone/Crockett with some nice wide tires. Turns out it was a Domane with 34's and it appeared that it could take upto 35's. Honestly this bike could be the cure all bike. It was a nice looking ride and with that flexy seatpost my guess is that it rides great.

Just another solution to my already large problem :)

Ray

benb
05-25-2017, 10:38 AM
I ran Conti 700x28c "Grand Prix Four Season" tires for a while last summer on my 2016 Domane 5 Series.

It has Ultegra 6700 rim brakes.. loads of clearance.

Pretty sure the LBS said 30s should be fine on the front end of the rim version of the Domane, and they thought it "balanced" the feel since the rear end has the Isospeed decoupler but the front doesn't have anything.

The disc version has lots more clearance.

I've been mostly satisfied running the 26 specialized Turbos or whatever they are called.. super fast/grippy and good enough on the comfort side. It's a very comfortable frame so I don't feel like I need a ton of tire.