PDA

View Full Version : OT: Memorial Day

KJMUNC
05-24-2017, 11:50 PM
Had a free afternoon on my trip to DC this week so I walked down to Arlington Nat'l Cemetery and wound up spending all afternoon there. I have a friend and a relative buried there, both of which were very raw to see in person, even after 10-20yrs.

Watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and just walked around and thought about how every headstone was it's own story. Sure, many didn't die in war and are veterans who chose to be buried there, but it doesn't change the fact that there's a group of people who died in defense of the lifestyle we so often take for granted.

Regardless of your political leanings it's a sobering and powerful experience. I was glad to see two groups there: hundreds of Honor Flight vets from WWII and Korea and tons of school kids. Important to get closure for a lot of those who actually experienced it and good to see so many of a different generation at least visualizing what the impact of war means. Heard at least 10 honor guard shots while I was there so it's a never ending affair....especially with the remaining WWII vets fading away and Korea not far behind.

Makes the minutae of day to day life seem pretty small in comparison.

paredown
05-25-2017, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the reminder.

We happened to drive out of DC last weekend across the Memorial Bridge in the late evening, and just looking up at that ghostly lit building on the high ground gives me shivers...

superbowlpats
05-25-2017, 06:42 AM
I travel to DC a lot for work. Have walked through Arlington a number of times. Its hallowed ground, truly a humbling experience. Same with the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall.

Bentley
05-25-2017, 06:42 AM
Very nice note and reminder, thanks.

I had the privilege of attending a memorial service at Arlington several years ago, it was for a friends Dad. I would offer its something everyone should do. The services are very formal, but they bring you back to the service of the deceased. It was a very powerful and sobering experience. The service was lightly attended, typically they occur at a time very separated from the death so its generally just the immediate family, attendance is not a problem as an observer.

I would also recommend attending the review at the Marine Barracks at 19th and I during the summer, it will both break your heart and make you proud.

Thanks for helping us remember

Ray

Ken Robb
05-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Very nice note and reminder, thanks.

I
I would also recommend attending the review at the Marine Barracks at 19th and I during the summer, it will both break your heart and make you proud.

Thanks for helping us remember

Ray

Isn't it 8th and I?

ColonelJLloyd
05-25-2017, 11:52 AM
...it's a sobering and powerful experience.

Sure is.

Bostic
05-25-2017, 11:53 AM
My wife and I visited there in 2012. Very hot day, upper 90's. We also watched the changing of the guard. Very powerful.

The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is another powerful visit. So much history in that building.

It's not just a day off.

572cv
05-25-2017, 12:02 PM
I spent an afternoon there in early March, with wife and daughter. We went and found great-grandfather's memorial. It's in the center of the picture attached, as it turns out. Arlington is a powerful place, a noble gesture, a place of grief, of love, of pride.

A great post to begin the Memorial Day Weekend. Thanks to all who served.

54ny77
05-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Thank you for the post & remembrance.

As someone with family in military, I unfortunately have a constant reminder of what bad--and I mean horrendously bad--places there are in the world.

Tickdoc
05-25-2017, 12:19 PM
good post.

This comic always comes to mind this weekend.

http://media5.picsearch.com/is?d8hV8aR9xhFWIP4qlDQ4iwhim44QC7LBol3AVXjR8t8&height=232

BlueFly
05-25-2017, 12:23 PM
I often remember how others have struggled/suffered so that I may have such a fortunate life.

Thank you.

Bentley
05-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Isn't it 8th and I?

You are right, different place.

Ray

OtayBW
05-25-2017, 03:34 PM
I've been meaning to go to the Viet Nam memorial. That's always had a powerful pull on me. On a different, but related note, I went up to the 911 memorial last Fall and also found that to be extremely moving. The large footprint voids with the vanishing pools, and that Freedom Tower is, I think, one of the most beautifully designed and constructed buildings that I have ever seen.

Matthew
05-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the post. Proud to be an American. With all of it's faults, still the greatest nation on earth. Happy Memorial Day to all. To those that have served, sacrificed some or all, I thank you. Matthew

tiretrax
05-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Everything above, I repeat. The Marine parade is one of the most moving things I've seen in my life.

choke
05-25-2017, 05:18 PM
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/BlackHills1/posters/memorialday.jpg

Johnnyg
05-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful post. I served in the Army and went to Nam. After 20 plus years i finally went to the Vietnam Memorial. I ended up speaking to a HS class who happened to be there. I answered there questions and hugged the teacher, we both cried. This experience was so therapeutic for me. This encounter just happened and i will never forget it. Every day is a gift. Memorial Day......

Bruce K
05-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Boston Common Flag garden.

One flag for every person from Massachusetts who lost their lives for this country (37,000 in all) from the American Revolution through today with a special section for those lost on 9/11.

Very sobering.

BK

jghall
05-27-2017, 09:04 PM
there's a group of people who died in defense of the lifestyle we so often take for granted.

Amen that that.

AngryScientist
05-27-2017, 09:09 PM
I often remember how others have struggled/suffered so that I may have such a fortunate life.

Thank you.

good post. truth.

AngryScientist
05-27-2017, 09:14 PM
O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

metalheart
05-27-2017, 09:29 PM
I always remember him on this day. A classmate and friend, died in a bombing run over Laos, MIA, body never recovered......

Catman
05-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the post. Far too many miss the true meaning of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sg8357
05-28-2017, 04:55 PM
“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.”

Bruce K
05-28-2017, 06:15 PM
A buddy of my Dad's is 98 years old now.

WWII veteran - retired Colonel - ski/mountaineering troops, 101st Airborne, D-Day, Bastogne, unit that included the company that the story "Band of Brothers" was written about but I don't think it was Easy Company.

The stories he told were jaw dropping.

He will get a call tomorrow.

BK

john903
05-28-2017, 06:33 PM
My wife and I were at lunch and an older gentleman and his wife came in and sat near us. He had a ball cap on that said WW2 Veteran Armored division. After we finished our meal I went over and said hello and we talked for a few minutes. He was a tanker from 1943-45 he was a very happy person with a warm smile, it made my weekend. Sadly you don't see to many WW2 Veterans anymore so I always make it a point to talk with them. I try not to take for granted the life and privileges we enjoy here and meeting him drove that home.
Have a great day

LegendRider
05-28-2017, 08:01 PM
This is the telegram my grandfather received notifying him that his brother had been KIA in the Battle of Anzio (Italy, WW2). By all accounts, he was a great guy and it saddens me that I never got to meet him.