PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Hollowgram SI Compact Crank

bourquek
08-23-2006, 09:19 AM
I just picked up my System Six with factory spec Compact Crank.

Cannondale's website advertised my System Six with thier new Cannondale Hollowgram SI Compact Crank (50x36) which looked wicked cool. The crank arms are made by Cannondale while the rings are made by FSA.

I just picked up the bike and to mine and my LBS's surprise Cannondale changed the spec to a Shimano Compact Crank (50x34). I confess I was slightly disapointed since the Cannodale Cranks looked sweet.

My LBS said that Cannondale could get me a Hollowgram SI crank if I really wanted it but I know I probably shouldn't since the shifting is very smooth right now and I don't want to mess with it. Both in the rear and in the front. Shifts awesome.

I'm just curious why Cannondale changed the spec without telling the customer. Why would Cannondale develop their own crankset only to change it. My LBS said they didn't know either.

Xyzzy
08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
They must have changed the frame, too, since the SI bottom bracket shell is much larger than a standard one.

Well, they do sell an adapter to fit in the SI shell to use regular bottom brackets. Can you tell if this is what they have done?

Personally, I'd consider the Shimano crank a serious downgrade. In Cannondale's overpriced scheme, my SI crank arms are $250 each. Each arm. Not including the spider, chainrings or bottom bracket. The freaking specialized tools to work on the darn thing cost me $150.

sspielman
08-23-2006, 12:44 PM
They must have changed the frame, too, since the SI bottom bracket shell is much larger than a standard one.

Well, they do sell an adapter to fit in the SI shell to use regular bottom brackets. Can you tell if this is what they have done?

Personally, I'd consider the Shimano crank a serious downgrade. In Cannondale's overpriced scheme, my SI crank arms are $250 each. Each arm. Not including the spider, chainrings or bottom bracket. The freaking specialized tools to work on the darn thing cost me $150.

...that is still alot cheaper than the previous "Magic" models that were about $800-$900....butt ugly, but they were very functional

Xyzzy
08-23-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't think anyone pays full price. Like their 613 frames go for $2500. Who would pay that?

When you buy the whole bike they kinda give you a discount. I guess you just pray you never need a replacement. They are awfully strong so I am not too worried about that.

The bearings are incredibly huge and expensive. I have a spare set but the originals are still perfect after more than 10k miles.

Proxy
08-23-2006, 01:23 PM

Cannondale's website advertised my System Six with thier new Cannondale Hollowgram SI Compact Crank (50x36) which looked wicked cool. The crank arms are made by Cannondale while the rings are made by FSA.

I just picked up the bike and to mine and my LBS's surprise Cannondale changed the spec to a Shimano Compact Crank (50x34). I confess I was slightly disapointed since the Cannodale Cranks looked sweet.

My LBS said that Cannondale could get me a Hollowgram SI crank if I really wanted it but I know I probably shouldn't since the shifting is very smooth right now and I don't want to mess with it. Both in the rear and in the front. Shifts awesome.

I'm just curious why Cannondale changed the spec without telling the customer. Why would Cannondale develop their own crankset only to change it. My LBS said they didn't know either.

I have 200+ onmy system six, you are going to love it - just get the frame/fork and the hollow and build it the way you want to - if you are 175+ get the bb, its that good + a Q of ~144

Grant McLean
08-23-2006, 03:42 PM

Are you sure the shop actually order you the right version bike?

Cannondale doesn't sell a version of the systemSix in the threaded bb/ compact
spec. I bet what happened is the shop ordered the dura-ace crank bike,
and switched the crank to shimano compact, possibly because of availability.

If you do want compact, as was pointed out already, the cannondale crank
needs a totally different frame, with the SI bb. So i think the shop is very
confused if they think they can switch your bike to a hologram crank!

I'd check with the shop to find out what really happened.

g

shinomaster
08-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Get what ever you want!! Not what the shop got you..

alancw3
08-23-2006, 06:16 PM
i have to agree with everyone else here. i have a 2006 six13 team with the si crank and it is like bulletproof. at first i was going to get the shimano version but this is what was available so i bought it and could not be more pleased with the crank.

it is my understanding that the sleeve that is either installed at the factory or by the lbs to accommodate the shimano bottom bracket is epoxyed in and once installed is not removeable.

i would tell the lbs you want what you ordered. good luck. either way enjoy!

John H.
08-24-2006, 09:30 AM
You mentioned that the hollowgram crank has a q-factor of 144mm. Do you know the q-factor of a dura-ace 7800 crank?

Proxy
08-24-2006, 10:39 AM
You mentioned that the hollowgram crank has a q-factor of 144mm. Do you know the q-factor of a dura-ace 7800 crank?

campy is 147

CalfeeFly
08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
People who use the SI cranks love them plus the oversized bearings in the shell make a lot of sense. I'd get what I ordered.

old fat man
08-25-2006, 10:13 AM
your frame is probably SI compatible. Cannondale had some delivery problems with the SI cranks so they were substituting in the interest of getting the bikes out to customers. Yes SI frames can be used with an adaptor and conventional cranks. Check your frame and if it is in fact SI compatible, tell your shop to tell Cannondale you will be eagerly waiting your SI cranks once they are available. In the meantime you can ride what they gave you.

Fixed
08-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Get what ever you want!! Not what the shop got you..
amen wise words
cheers

bourquek
09-02-2006, 08:11 PM
People who use the SI cranks love them plus the oversized bearings in the shell make a lot of sense. I'd get what I ordered.

Do you think there would be a difference in shifting quality between a Shimano Compact and the SI Compact?

Grant McLean
09-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Do you think there would be a difference in shifting quality between a Shimano Compact and the SI Compact?

it's not so much about shifting as weight. The SI frame/cannondale crank
saves weight over the shimano crank, with the regular threaded bb.

I heard last week that cannondale was late delivering si cranks and they've
been subsituting the shimano cranks.

Did you figure out if your frame is SI or threaded?

If you got the shimano bike, it should have cost less, Cannondale lowered
the price because the substitute in definitely a downgrade.

g

bourquek
09-02-2006, 08:42 PM
it's not so much about shifting as weight. The SI frame/cannondale crank
saves weight over the shimano crank, with the regular threaded bb.

I heard last week that cannondale was late delivering si cranks and they've
been subsituting the shimano cranks.

Did you figure out if your frame is SI or threaded?

If you got the shimano bike, it should have cost less, Cannondale lowered
the price because the substitute in definitely a downgrade.

g
My bike is a System Six so it should've came with the SI as advertised on Cannondale's website. I paid the same MSRP with the Shimano Crank. Is my LBS going to let me take the bike back to get the SI crank? I've put a hundred miles on the Shimano crank so it's a used crank at this point.

rwsaunders
09-02-2006, 09:00 PM
I just checked CDale's website and the System Six team comes with an Ultegra crank for 2007, on one of the models. Are you sure that the LBS didn't give you a 2007?

Grant McLean
09-02-2006, 09:44 PM
My bike is a System Six so it should've came with the SI as advertised on Cannondale's website. I paid the same MSRP with the Shimano Crank. Is my LBS going to let me take the bike back to get the SI crank? I've put a hundred miles on the Shimano crank so it's a used crank at this point.

dude, ask your dealer, not us.

g

Xyzzy
09-03-2006, 05:02 AM
The shift ramps and pins on my SI chain rings are "generic" in that they (supposedly) work pretty good with Shimano or Campy, but they are not optimised for either. It still shifts very very well, but not quite as perfect as a regular Campy crank. (I've never ridden DA so I have no idea how that shifts.)

(They are also, on mine, 130BCD so I wouldn't be able to put on Campy rings. I'm very happy with what I have now, though. I do wish I could get a SI ring with 50 teeth.)

So, in summary, it is possible the Shimano crank might shift a bit bettter than the SI one. I'd still choose the SI one.

bourquek
09-03-2006, 08:47 AM
I just read the System Six's Owner's manual. It says the SI bottom bracket can use an adapter "to enable the use of standard English/68mm bottom bracket cranksets. The adapter is removable on alloy BB frames, however, repeated removal and reinstallation could result in damage to the SI BB shell and is not recommended." Man, what a pain in the @ss.

stevep
09-03-2006, 08:54 AM
I just read the System Six's Owner's manual. It says the SI bottom bracket can use an adapter "to enable the use of standard English/68mm bottom bracket cranksets. The adapter is removable on alloy BB frames, however, repeated removal and reinstallation could result in damage to the SI BB shell and is not recommended." Man, what a pain in the @ss.

why would you want to repeatedly take it in and out?

put me in the shimano crank is better category... and 5 years from now will be easy to service by replacing the bb, etc
never been a fan of proprietary cranks, bbs, headsets, stems etc, etc.
they get changed and rearranged and parts become difficult to find years later...too much testing in the marketplace for me.

John H.
09-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I measured SI cranks to be about 140mm q-factor. Dura-Ace 7800 is more like 150mm.

rwsaunders
09-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I checked the 2006 lineup and the Pro 1 and Pro 2 versions of the Six13 series come with the Ultegra and FSA cranks as standard equipment. Only the Team Replica, Team 1 and Team 2 versions spec the SI.

Check the Cannondale site....perhaps that is what you purchased.

bourquek
09-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I checked the 2006 lineup and the Pro 1 and Pro 2 versions of the Six13 series come with the Ultegra and FSA cranks as standard equipment. Only the Team Replica, Team 1 and Team 2 versions spec the SI.

Check the Cannondale site....perhaps that is what you purchased.

This is the model I bought below.

http://cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-7RST3C.html

However, I just noticed this link today. It looks like they changed the crank spec on the Ultegra model from SI to Shimano.

http://cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/road/systemsix/model-7RST3D.html

Serpico
10-26-2006, 04:22 PM

can someone clarify this? I just purchased a caad7 frameset that takes an si bb/crankset

if I use an adapter (to run a campy ultra torque) can I take it out later and put an si bb/crankset in?

Thanks

Xyzzy
10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes.

Serpico
10-26-2006, 04:31 PM
***--I just called local c'dale shop (Big Shark in St. Louis) and the cat said once I put an adapter in it's done--can't do si later

Xyzzy
10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
He's thinking of a Synapse Si dealio.

Read the instructions for the adapter. They are somewhere on Cdale's site.

Serpico
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
that's exactly what I told him!--I specifically read that only the Synapse was one way

thank you

Xyzzy
10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.cannondale.com/Asset/iu_files/118544_SI_BB_Adapter.pdf

ereitenbach
01-15-2008, 04:33 AM
i have to agree with everyone else here. i have a 2006 six13 team with the si crank and it is like bulletproof. at first i was going to get the shimano version but this is what was available so i bought it and could not be more pleased with the crank.

it is my understanding that the sleeve that is either installed at the factory or by the lbs to accommodate the shimano bottom bracket is epoxyed in and once installed is not removeable.

i would tell the lbs you want what you ordered. good luck. either way enjoy!

I have just removed my DuraAce Crank and MegaExo BB from my System Six because I bought an si crank. Before I try to force out this sleeve does anyone know for sure if it is really epoxyed in or just pressed in?