PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Configure My New Cockpit!

johnnylarue
05-23-2017, 03:05 PM
After a great deal of hemming and hawing (and heated price negotiations), I'm the proud new owner of a lovely 2002 Litespeed Tuscany. :hello: (I'll attach a de facto "before" photo.)

Its first owner was nice enough to let me take it home with me to test drive it for the weekend, and he knew what he was doing: this ride would simply not be denied. It's incredibly fast and sure-footed, efficient on climbs, and much to my surprise, a noticeably smoother feeling ride than my vintage Colnago Mexico--which I've always thought of as "compliant to a fault". Anyway, the honeymoon is going very well so far. (A ride last night in the cool air on some mostly deserted city streets was... amazing. :D)

In addition to a bit of minor upkeep (new chain, pedals, and lube on everything), I've decided to go for a "comfort fit" on this frame, which is obviously racing/crit-oriented, but definitely a good match for my size.

I'm fixing to replace its current (kinda ugly) 120mm stem with a black 90mm, and will likely replace the old cheapo stock Trek handlebar with something with a shorter reach to make riding on the hoods more comfortable. I actually enjoy riding in the drops in its current configuration--it feels very natural--but the old Ultegra hoods are quite long and the reach is just slightly uncomfortable for me. And given that I'll be riding in the city a lot being able to ride somewhat upright to look around is important.

SO, TL;DR:

1. Should I replace the stem first, the bars, or just do both all at once?

2. Are there any consensus picks for shorter stems and compact handlebars out there? Would be great to keep the budget within $100 or so.

Thanks for reading and any scathing insults or insights you have to offer. ;)

PS: Not the biggest fan of the fade on the original fork, but it rides well so I'm putting off a fork upgrade for the time being.

Hombre
05-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Get yourself one of these and use paint stripper or acetone to remove the graphics for a stealth look
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KALLOY-UNO-AL-7050-Ultra-Light-Weight-Stem-31-8-7-Degree-Black-/122072788324?var=&hash=item1c6c1aed64:m:mEdEz8A5Gp7A7D3A804PvJQ

Then this, since you mentioned you like riding in the drops. Shallow so the drop isn't so deep. Plus a shorter reach
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-Gossamer-Wing-Compact-Bar-31-8x44cm-Black-/311831026437?hash=item489a93db05:g:YSMAAOSwzgBY0v8 S

All for under $100

MagicHour
05-23-2017, 04:24 PM
For budget cockpit parts I'm a big fan of Deda Zero 1 or Zero 2 stuff - I ride their RHM02 bar which is very nice. For that frame though, you could also go Ritchey Comp level which is also nice and might look a little more aesthetic appropriate for that era frame. Their Neoclassic bar (WCS not Comp) is modern compact take on a classic curved road bar, I have this on my other bike.

1. Should I replace the stem first, the bars, or just do both all at once?

2. Are there any consensus picks for shorter stems and compact handlebars out there? Would be great to keep the budget within $100 or so.

echelon_john
05-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Keep the silver seatpost and get a Ritchey Classic silver bar & stem. The carpet (crankset) must match the drapes (cockpit).

MagicHour
05-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Yes very important, whether you go black or silver, listen to this guy - should be all the same.

The carpet (crankset) must match the drapes (cockpit).

Hombre
05-23-2017, 04:52 PM
It has been decided. Speak no more, look no further.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kiUAAOSw4YdYyxYL/s-l1600.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ritchey-Classic-Road-Handlebar-44cm-31-8-HP-Silver-/401313838820?hash=item5d702b36e4:g:kiUAAOSw4YdYyxY L
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/N1kAAOSw3mpXDqm9/s-l1600.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ritchey-Classic-C220-Threadless-Alloy-Road-Stem-6d-Silver-90mm-x-31-8mm-/361534040542?hash=item542d1ba9de:g:N1kAAOSw3mpXDqm 9

A little over budget but well worth it.

R3awak3n
05-23-2017, 05:08 PM
as much as I love silver I think that bike has plenty and would look great with black cockpit and black seat post.

Hindmost
05-23-2017, 05:34 PM
If you have a target for drop and reach that makes selecting a stem easier. And if you have a reach-to-the-hood measurement in mind that makes selecting the handlebar easier as well.

johnnylarue
05-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Thanks, folks!

My plan (it was a secret but I guess I can trust YOU guys) was to go black with with the stem and handlebars and throw some silver bar tape on 'em. I thought that might help maintain the black/silver symmetry from the front to the back. I also like the continuity of black spacers coming out of that black headset...

I feel conflicted about the seatpost. It's a nice steel Campy Record post. Comfortable and handsome, but obviously not the lightest thing in the world. Not gonna put it on the chopping block just yet...

johnnylarue
05-23-2017, 05:49 PM
If you have a target for drop and reach that makes selecting a stem easier. And if you have a reach-to-the-hood measurement in mind that makes selecting the handlebar easier as well.

Thanks, Hindmost. It's tough 'cause I haven't been "fitted" and have been pretty good at adjusting things by feel so far, but I'm also coming from the world of vintage steel with threaded quill stems, etc.--a bit more analogue-style flexibility built into that old tech.

I guess I can tell that my arms feel comfortable resting on the top of the bar as it stands, so I'm probably looking at moving the hoods closer to me by about 5 or 6cm. If I get a similar +17 degree rise on a 90mm stem, it'll get me a bit less than 3cm closer (due to the difference in height), and I figure going compact with the bars should take care of the difference...

johnnylarue
05-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Keep the silver seatpost and get a Ritchey Classic silver bar & stem. The carpet (crankset) must match the drapes (cockpit).

I thought that rule went away with the advent of hair dye and, uh, Brazilian waxing? ;)

Seriously though, I hadn't considered it. Maybe all silver (including tape!) is the way to go after all...

Gosh, all these important decisions to make--this must be what it's like to be president. :D

Gummee
05-23-2017, 06:09 PM

This

Nice stuff. I have it on my steel FN

Tape must match the saddle or hit a highlight color on the bike.

M

Tickdoc
05-23-2017, 06:15 PM
I seem to remember seeing a cool deda dark metal stem and handlebar combo on here for sale recently....would look awesome on this bike, imo.

Oh, and congrats!

johnnylarue
05-23-2017, 07:31 PM
I seem to remember seeing a cool deda dark metal stem and handlebar combo on here for sale recently....would look awesome on this bike, imo.

Oh, and congrats!

Thanks, Tickdoc! Haven't had a new-to-me ride in several years. I hope I never get used to how fast and smooth this thing is...

I'll investigate the darker metal option. I did briefly consider a titanium stem but it seems excessive for something with little to no performance advantage over aluminum.

Edit: That "titanium grey" Deda stuff looks great! I'm gonna keep an eye out for it. I remember the late-80s Shimano 600 stuff that came on a lot of Miyata bikes had a similar (albeit matte) vibe as well.

Pastashop
05-23-2017, 08:04 PM
FSA Compact is a nice bar, and a Ritchey WCS or a Syntace stem would be reasonably slim to blend well with the rest of the bike. I would normally need a 100 mm stem with a classic reach bar and brake levers, but also have this combo that works well - now laying around - that is a 120 mm stem and the FSA bar... can't find the photo with 9 sp STIs, but it looks and feels even better...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/060343a4b1267358dc2f0a5a658fb2c9.png

(I had raced on the Fuji at some point and ridden it plenty – it's actually a very well behaved bike, but that's another thread...)

johnnylarue
05-24-2017, 01:51 AM
Awright, I think I get where everyone who suggested the Ritchey set is coming from. They look really fridgin' nice together, if I may be so bold. Their lines are certainly slim and in keeping with the profile of the older Tuscany design. I think it could really work.

Guess I'll save the black hardware vibe for when this Tuscany gets its inevitable full makeover several months down the line.

Now to hunt me some bargains...!

Hombre
05-24-2017, 02:08 AM
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fark/images/7/7b/113_mr_burns_excellent.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160313182405

cadence90
05-24-2017, 02:31 AM
Awright, I think I get where everyone who suggested the Ritchey set is coming from. They look really fridgin' nice together, if I may be so bold. Their lines are certainly slim and in keeping with the profile of the older Tuscany design. I think it could really work.

Guess I'll save the black hardware vibe for when this Tuscany gets its inevitable full makeover several months down the line.

Now to hunt me some bargains...!
https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/96/960597/3089830-1130898912-592884

Really.

Clean39T
05-24-2017, 10:02 AM
A bit OT :: have you found a good source to learn about all the different Litespeed models over the years? I'm often puzzled by the hierarchy.. I do know I want a Blade at some point tho [emoji41]

johnnylarue
05-24-2017, 11:16 AM
A bit OT :: have you found a good source to learn about all the different Litespeed models over the years? I'm often puzzled by the hierarchy.. I do know I want a Blade at some point tho [emoji41]

This is a fun resource for old Litespeed catalogs (not all links work):

http://www.tirides.com/wp/fabricators/jkl/litespeed/litespeed-catalog-archive/

You should be able to piece the hierarchy together from the "order of appearance" of each model. I know the earlier Blade (2002/3) wasn't a consensus favourite among reviewers, but I can't speak for more recent editions. (The Tachyon seemed to be the more popular choice in the tri bike category.)

johnnylarue
05-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Target 1 Acquired! 😎

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ritchey-Classic-Road-Bar-44cm-HP-Silver-31-8-x-44-/172684574508?hash=item2834cd7f2c%3Ag%3AUjEAAOSwK6R ZH4NU&_trkparms=pageci%253Ab2ea9441-40dc-11e7-95fe-74dbd180b281%257Cparentrq%253A3ce48a8e15c0ab64b887 3741fffffef5%257Ciid%253A1

Ken Robb
05-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Since you love the way it rides I'd suggest painting the fork rather than taking a chance by replacing it with one that may not provide as good a ride.

johnnylarue
05-24-2017, 08:59 PM
1697940346Since you love the way it rides I'd suggest painting the fork rather than taking a chance by replacing it with one that may not provide as good a ride.

I considered stripping and clearcoating it, but since I've decided to go with silver hardware I think I'll leave it as-is for now, and maybe revisit when I get around to giving her a more comprehensive facelift with black components sometime in the future.

I'm also one of the few people who actually likes the yellow Litespeed decals, and the fork looks kinda badass from the front with these (horrible photo due to laziness):

Ken Robb
05-24-2017, 09:43 PM

I considered stripping and clearcoating it, but since I've decided to go with silver hardware I think I'll leave it as-is for now, and maybe revisit when I get around to giving her a more comprehensive facelift with black components sometime in the future.

I'm also one of the few people who actually likes the yellow Litespeed decals, and the fork looks kinda badass from the front with these (horrible photo due to laziness):

I was worried that a guy who raved about the ride of his new bike might screw it up seeking cosmetic "improvement". I think the fork looks fine.

johnnylarue
05-25-2017, 03:13 PM
I was worried that a guy who raved about the ride of his new bike might screw it up seeking cosmetic "improvement". I think the fork looks fine.

A fair concern. ;)

No, apart from some minor reach adjustments I really don't want to mess with the road feel of this bike. It's a true joy to ride.

johnnylarue
05-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Okay, here's a skill-testing question for all you fussy bike aesthetes.

My current Campy seat post has a nice matte silver finish which matches up nicely with the brushed titanium of the frame. Should I go all-in and swap it out for a shiny matching Ritchey post as well, or leave well enough alone on the back end?

colker
05-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Replace the stem w/ a -10º... if you have too much drop, replace the frame w/ a bigger one.
You like how it rides? cool. Then forget what i just said but.. never, never replace a campagnolo seatpost of that vintage. Those are perfect.

tuscanyswe
05-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Nice looking bike! I had a tuscany and my memories of it are very fond!

I had same fork paint on mine but opted to get an all black fork later on. I much like you thought the painted fork was pretty neat but also at the same time thought it dident really quite match the titanium finish.

Your frame has the integrated headset, mine did not. If i were you and later decided to get another fork i would go with an integrated fork as it will look more fluid with your frame imo, after all it was designed for that type of fork and i believe yours to was bought with such a fork originally (tho i could be wrong bout that).

not mine:
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/tuscany/topphoto.jpg

Hindmost
05-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Daytona seatpost 27.2? Switch the post to the Ritchey and sell me the Campy.

johnnylarue
05-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Replace the stem w/ a -10º... if you have too much drop, replace the frame w/ a bigger one.
You like how it rides? cool. Then forget what i just said but.. never, never replace a campagnolo seatpost of that vintage. Those are perfect.

Appreciate the vote of confidence for the post. It's pretty, and comfortable, so I'm not eager to get rid of it by any means.

Frame fits me great--I'll be going from that (awkward looking) +17 stem to a much more reasonable but hopefully still comfy +6, 90mm. This will be a city commuter for me, so a shorter reach to the hoods and a semi-upright riding position are pretty crucial.

johnnylarue
05-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Nice looking bike! I had a tuscany and my memories of it are very fond!

I had same fork paint on mine but opted to get an all black fork later on. I much like you thought the painted fork was pretty neat but also at the same time thought it dident really quite match the titanium finish.

Your frame has the integrated headset, mine did not. If i were you and later decided to get another fork i would go with an integrated fork as it will look more fluid with your frame imo, after all it was designed for that type of fork and i believe yours to was bought with such a fork originally (tho i could be wrong bout that).

Yup, agree on most counts. This one is straight from the original owner, so I know this is the fork that came with this frame. This was the first year Litespeed went with integrated headsets, so it's possible they were still hashing this stuff out... Rides beautifully in any case.

And thankfully the headset has been properly maintained. The races are in perfect shape. Bearings are just starting to show their age so there's a tiny bit of stiffness in the steering with the headset properly torqued, but it's silent, no creaks, and I've got a fresh set of bearings coming so all's well on that front.

Buying a used bike is a double-edged sword: you stand a chance of inheriting someone else's problems, or you can get a bike that's been put through its paces and passed 10+ years of quality control with flying colours, which can be reassuring. :cool:

johnnylarue
05-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Daytona seatpost 27.2? Switch the post to the Ritchey and sell me the Campy.

Hands off, Hiney! :D

johnnylarue
08-28-2017, 11:24 PM
So I've been riding my Tuscany all summer and I love it. Easily the best bike I've ever owned--the perfect blend of comfort and power transfer for my speedy joyrides.

New chain, Ritchey Classic 90mm stem and 42mm bars (thanks to this very thread!), found some ugly old caps for the 9-speed Ultegra brifters, and threw on a set of MKS Urban Platforms with half-cages for versatility in the city. All told, its first owner had done a good job of tastefully highlighting the yellow so I decided to keep its original look intact for this go-round. I may still decide to go full stealth titanium and black when the time comes for a serious component overhaul, but this suits me fine for the time being.

Anyway, I figured I'd snap a few quick photos before I swap out its old yellow-wall slicks for some winter Gatorskins. Note that I'm a marginally better photographer than these pics suggest--I just didn't have it in me to stray from my ugly ass balcony this evening! :p

AJM100
08-29-2017, 03:52 PM
I recently rebuilt a Litespeed Veneto . . . lose the decals for a much cleaner look IMO . . .

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204947&highlight=veneto

johnnylarue
08-29-2017, 07:30 PM
I recently rebuilt a Litespeed Veneto . . . lose the decals for a much cleaner look IMO . . .

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204947&highlight=veneto

Very nice build, AJM! I think I'll wind up going that route when the time comes to replace/upgrade the original Ultegra groupset and fork. Black everything. Clean, sleek and easier to hide in a bike rack.

That said, I seem to be in the minority on this but I really like these late-90s era fat yellow LS decals. They're one of the reasons I noticed these bikes in the first place some 20 years ago. Then again, my Colnago Mexico has gold lettering too, so maybe I'm just suffering from a sort of yellow-centric Stockholm Syndrome. ;)