PDA

View Full Version : Riding Alone

roadie7
08-23-2006, 05:25 AM
When I started serious cycling about 15 years ago, I enjoyed and looked foward to taking long rides alone. I trained and rode 2 AIDS RIDES from N. C. to D.C. During the last 2 years I don't like taking long rides (over 30 miles) by myself. I don't have the motivation to ride long distances by myself and even shy away from them. Has anyone else experienced this change? If so, what have you done about it?

Thanks.

Ray
08-23-2006, 06:13 AM
When I started serious cycling about 15 years ago, I enjoyed and looked foward to taking long rides alone. I trained and rode 2 AIDS RIDES from N. C. to D.C. During the last 2 years I don't like taking long rides (over 30 miles) by myself. I don't have the motivation to ride long distances by myself and even shy away from them. Has anyone else experienced this change? If so, what have you done about it?

Thanks.
I don't do as many long rides overall, but I still ride solo most of the time and my longer rides are almost always solo. I've tried riding centuries with other people and it just hasn't worked. Even if you're really well matched, I usually go through different periods of feeling good, feeling bad, feeling in between on long rides and they rarely match up with someone else. So one of us will be working too hard part of the time and one will be going slower than desired. So I do my longest rides solo or, if on an organized ride, I float up and back through the group depending on how I'm feeling at the moment.

But after riding for about 10 years and going through years where I usually did a 60-80 mile ride at least once a week, this just doesn't happen anymore. I did 65 yesterday, but it was my first metric + in a few weeks. I've only gone over 70 2-3 times all year. Lots of 40-60 mile rides but only occasionally longer ones. I'll probably do a century or two in September because it's always good to reassure yourself you can still handle it, but I've never had a problem getting through them, so I feel less compunction about this also.

Maybe because I've been there, done that or maybe because I'm working for myself now and can ride far more often, I can get plenty of miles without doing long rides. I used to be limited to 25-35 miles after work during the week, so did a long one on the weekend to get my fill. Now I ride plenty regardless, but in smaller chunks.

-Ray

Avispa
08-23-2006, 11:32 AM
...the more I have always enjoyed riding alone. For me the opposite is always being true; I like riding alone more often.

I think that riding with others becomes a responsibility, and therefore a burden, for me as I always have to look out for the other riders. It must be my nature.... This doesn't mean I don't like to ride with others, but I feel more relaxed by myself.

At the begining of the season I don't mind riding with a little group. But I prefer to ride alone almost all the time. This is especially true since I live in a metropolitan area: Drivers tend to get more antagonistic here when they see a big group on the road. Whereas, when I ride alone, I hardly have gotten hassled by anyone.

gone
08-23-2006, 01:17 PM
I average 10-12k miles per year and ride by myself the vast majority of the time. Since you said your issue with doing longer rides is motivation, here are some things I do to keep the interest level up and juices flowing:

Vary your route. Even when you're doing 40 miles, doing the same route every day makes you feel like you're on a 40 mile long treadmill. Even doing the same route in the opposite direction (assuming a loop) helps.
Put the bike in the car and go someplace. Doesn't have to be far, just some place different where you're "exploring".
Pack some tunes. Although I personally don't like listening to music while I ride (don't like giving up one of my senses), many of my friends do. I frequently do listen to language CD's since they are spoken and there are enough gaps for me to hear what's going on around me.
Have a goal. Just riding around all the time gets boring. I get together with friends from around the country at different locations 3 times a year and we hit it pretty hard for a week. I focus my riding on being in shape for those times of year.
Reward yourself. When not doing a specific training day, do an out and back with the turnaround at a coffee shop, ice cream stand, whatever. Stop and smell the roses.
Push yourself. When you've established a goal and program that gets you there, work hard, make yourself hurt. Don't do it all the time but it is fun to get fit and fast. Those hard training sessions are tough while you're doing them but are very satisfying and give you a sense of accomplishment.
Even when doing your regular route, explore a bit. "I wonder where this road goes" adds some spice.

Bottom line: unless you're getting paid to do it, it's supposed to be fun. There are many reasons for riding long distances aside from racing (higher level of fitness, endurance events, just plain enjoy it) but if you get to where you're just grinding out miles it ain't no fun.

Hope this helps.

Ken Robb
08-23-2006, 01:30 PM
I ride alone a lot because group rides are full of idiots and maniacs. The idiots want to ride slower than I do and the maniacs want to ride faster than I do. Every year there are more maniacs and fewer idiots. :rolleyes:

znfdl
08-23-2006, 01:36 PM
gh:

Nice post.

Roadie:

I also do most of miles alone. I had one very tall long distance training partner (guess who), but he got the racing bug. I found another long distance rider, but we can not get things to work out to ride together. So I go merrillee on my way. My longest solo rides are usually 140 miles. I use these rides to escape the pressures of a family and my job. Additionally, GH gave some great advice.

For me long rides are zinfully good, both mentally and physically.

saab2000
08-23-2006, 01:48 PM
I love riding alone. Therapeutic. And nobody there to try to race with, even if it is only in the head.

I almost NEVER get bored riding alone.

J.Greene
08-23-2006, 01:59 PM

Thanks.

I don't do them solo much either. I have a riding buddy that I prefer. We can ride 50 miles hardly talking, trading long pulls and enjoying the ride. It's like having the benefit of riding solo and with friends. I also enjoy riding our tandem with my wife. It's a great way to catch up with what's going on in her life that we don't share during normal home hours.

JG

spiderlake
08-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Mostly alone except for mountain biking and that usually turns into a solo ride as the group gets shattered.

The majority of my riding in the last month has been my daily bike commute which is 36 miles round trip. The ride home in the afternoon is great but the mornings would benefit from having someone with me. More for motivation than anything else since 6AM is early and cold!

Group rides, IMHO, are great for pushing my effort. It almost always turns into a race for me while solo rides I will back off and relax more.

lemondsteel
08-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Most all the ideas and opinions have been made........ my 2 cents worth.

I have been actively riding since my teens, as far as endorphin addiction goes, and 90% of my rides are alone or with another rider I know WELL. I now ride with my son who is 21 (I'm 53) and we rarely ride with the local club. Reason being is the relaxation it provides. I can actually yawn and feel like I can fall to sleep on a very brisk 20+mph 30mile ride. Sure I work hard but the mental state that accompanies the endorphin rush can actually be so engulfing that I kind of drift off. My son experiences the same. (could be the strong odor of all the meth labs in our county) just a thought.
When we do ride with others you're always watching the wheel in front or what's going on up front. NOT relaxing at all. I do think my son needs to ride with a pack more often but he just about refuses to. Someone give me some "you need to do this because".......

onekgguy
08-23-2006, 02:38 PM
There was a time a few years ago after I crashed hard on my bike (a dog ran out in front of me) and it took me some time to get back in the groove. For a couple years it seemed I seldom rode over 50 miles. I used to love to do long distance rides but those seemed a thing of the past. I didn't dwell on it, I just got what I could out of the rides I was doing. I'm not sure where the break through came but I eventually rediscovered my love for longer distances and I'm back to riding the way I used to. I wouldn't try to force it.

How is your fitness? If you're struggling on the bike and your fitness isn't where it needs to be for the longer distances that may be all the reason you need to understand why you're not enjoying longer rides. Do you ride long distances with others?

As for me, I'm a solo rider nearly all of the time. I'm not much for watching the wheel in front of me or having to point out every bit of road debris to those behind me...I just wanna ride and listen to my tunes along the way.

Kevin

Fixed
08-24-2006, 07:36 AM
a long ride by myself are my most enjoyable rides kinda like play time
cheers

alancw3
08-24-2006, 08:37 AM
i almost always ride alone now. seems like i do my best thinking on life while riding alone. i find when riding in a group that i always have to compromise my speed for the group. solo for me all the way now! the only thing is the possibility of a breakdown far from home. small tradeoff for the benefits of the solo ride.

Larry
08-24-2006, 08:44 AM
IMHO.......it is much safer to ride with one trusted friend, whose riding habits you know well. Also two bikes are much more visible than one.
The conversation is also very stimulating and therapeutic.
The danger factor goes way up with the solo rider. This has been my experience in the Dallas area.

L