PDA

View Full Version : New bike--I'm on the Serotta team now...

paredown
05-23-2017, 06:20 AM
Picked this up on the weekend--friends purchased it for me (sight unseen) off Craigslist and kept it at their house until we got down to DC--after a sharp-eyed Paceliner spotted it.

Serotta CSi--and some interesting choices for parts (probably most disappointed in the Shimano 600 hubs/mismatched rims--I saw the Campy rear mech and assumed--but I think it is probably someone's aftermarket Campy spacers for Shimano because it shifts very nicely.)

OTOH, it's got the cool (and I think titanium) Syncros seat post (and I think the stem may be titanium as well). Too bad the seatpost shot is out of focus, because below the tubing decal is a shop decal from Germany!

Still thinking about what gets put on this, but even on a test spin, it feels as good as people say! And it gives me a nice 8 speed setup to use on a semi-retro build!

I'm psyched!

Looked at the serial # thread--serial is CS 57 973, has 25 Year anniversary decal, brazed cable stops so probably 1997 production?
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1461481&highlight=csi#post1461481

Hilltopperny
05-23-2017, 06:33 AM
Beautiful bike and congratulations:hello:

rwsaunders
05-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Great find...take a better shot of the lugs as I believe that the 25th anniversary model had some nice details.

paredown
05-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Great find...take a better shot of the lugs as I believe that the 25th anniversary model had some nice details.

Will do--those pics are the seller's. I need to strip and clean, and I will photograph then.

rustychisel
05-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Looks proper nice... congrats.

Gawd... I gotta thing about yellow bikes. Lovely.

Clean39T
05-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Lovely indeed!

soulspinner
05-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Nice!

David Kirk
05-23-2017, 09:14 AM
Have fun!

dave

colker
05-23-2017, 10:24 AM
Build that thing w/ BLACK campagnolo.

Seatpost is syncros titanium. Stem is steel(specialized?).

Clean39T
05-23-2017, 10:43 AM

This ^^^ or Force22 - judgement-free zone here..

paredown
05-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Man--the one thing I don't have--black Campy... so it will likely be alloy 10--unless the other bike does not work out, and that frees up a Chorus set.

Tested the stem--indeed it is steel--I just saw the color difference and knew it wasn't alu...

No bike fun today--I'm rebuilding the wood stove. Thought I was losing my mind, but the dealer did in fact send me a large extra piece that literally does not fit my stove.

Meanwhile I have been scratching my head and thinking I was doing it wrong.

Now the debate is, do I let them know and send it back or sell it on eBay for the annoyance factor?

Ken Robb
05-23-2017, 12:50 PM
what is that fork?

paredown
05-23-2017, 01:20 PM
what is that fork?

Carbon--but I don't know anymore than that. When did they start using the F1 fork and marking them as such?

pjbaz
05-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Nice, man

kingpin75s
05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
(and I think the stem may be titanium as well)

Cannot see that well from the picture, but profile looks a bit like a steel Sweet Parts stem. Nice stem, if that is the case.

Nice score. Enjoy.

paredown
05-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Well--a couple of shakedown rides after checking it over (replaced a spoke in the back wheel and touched it up for true) and doing a cursory clean:

All the stories about the CSi being a wonderful frame seem to be true. Feels like the custom Mooney that I dumped in the "Great Recession"--in terms of liveliness, balance and tracking it doesn't get any better than this IMO. (And this is with a pretty funky front wheel (one of those old Matrix with fake bladed spokes,) not great tires and a seat that I don't love:));

Why did we ever go away from Campy 8--shifts like an old BMW--positive and precise?;

OMG--I am so out of shape after the long winter of discontent and layoff--:eek:

Still thinking about cockpit--the levers as they are mounted are rotated up, but I think the stem that is on there is a tad too long, so I may go back to a 120 (I measure it at 130)

Thanks for the good thoughts & info!

tv_vt
05-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Carbon--but I don't know anymore than that. When did they start using the F1 fork and marking them as such?

Looks like an F1.

DrSpoke
05-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Well--a couple of shakedown rides after checking it over (replaced a spoke in the back wheel and touched it up for true) and doing a cursory clean:

All the stories about the CSi being a wonderful frame seem to be true. Feels like the custom Mooney that I dumped in the "Great Recession"--in terms of liveliness, balance and tracking it doesn't get any better than this IMO. (And this is with a pretty funky front wheel (one of those old Matrix with fake bladed spokes,) not great tires and a seat that I don't love:));

Why did we ever go away from Campy 8--shifts like an old BMW--positive and precise?;

OMG--I am so out of shape after the long winter of discontent and layoff--:eek:

Still thinking about cockpit--the levers as they are mounted are rotated up, but I think the stem that is on there is a tad too long, so I may go back to a 120 (I measure it at 130)

Thanks for the good thoughts & info!

I recently picked up a '96 Atlanta w/Campy Chorus 8-sp and steel fork. A very nice bike and I like it. All it needed was cleaning and a bit of oil. It would be about 9.5 condition except from some seat stay damage near the brakes that I missed at inspection (no paint damage). The brakes feel more firm than Record10. I wish it had a bit lower gearing though. I'd still love to find a nice CSi in my size.

sw3759
05-28-2017, 02:19 PM
great score with the csi.fantastic frames,for sure an F1 fork,great performing fork just kind of porky and not much room for anything over 25mm.

stem appears to me to be a "profile for speed" tig stem,they were Ti colored steel.pretty low cost stem but gets the job done til you find a nicer stem that suits that frame

cachagua
05-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Why did we ever go away from Campy 8--shifts like an old BMW--positive and precise...

Thanks for the encouragement, I will very shortly be putting some Campy 8-speed on the road.

On my Serotta, natch!

This will join my two Dura-Ace 8-speed bikes, and my three Suntour 8-speed bikes, so I'm not going to be much use to you with your question.

But I can tell you, you're going to love it.