PDA

View Full Version : Shimano BB Life?

jharsha
08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
What kind of lifespan can one expect from an external bearing Shimano BB (5000 miles, no rain rides)? I recently switched to a set of Shimano compact cranks and after about 80 miles started hearing an irregular "click" when pedaling. Are the bearings servicable or should I just replace the BB? Thanks

columbusslx
08-23-2006, 01:17 AM
Yes, serviceable, or better put, replaceable, as in you can drive out the bearings if you have the tools and push new cartridges in, but I am not sure about the economics of it when the BB's are not that much to start with.

Phil Wood has a bearing upgrade that might be of interest. I haven't seen it but if it is as nice as their other stuff...it might be a good option for longer life.

scottie
08-23-2006, 02:13 AM
I've been using a DA10 bottom bracket and it's done a good 12000 miles (through rain mud and other nasties!) without an issue and still going strong as if it was new. I blew apart isis drive bbs within a month and think these are the greatest things ever made, but I have also heard bad reports. My two bbs are great!
Just a report of my experience!
cheers,
Scottie.

stevep
08-23-2006, 06:24 AM
on the isis.
i am told that the platinum bbs work fine and last well... but the platinum pros ( the more expensive bb ) have wear problems.

might try that as a solution. i dont know what is different but believe that its the case.

pdxmech13
08-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Installed properly the bearing life should be longer than the older bearing design just on life. However this dosen't address weather conditions and regular cleaning. On average I have replaced worn SHIMANO BB's for customers after about three years.

sspielman
08-24-2006, 02:28 PM
on the isis.
i am told that the platinum bbs work fine and last well... but the platinum pros ( the more expensive bb ) have wear problems.

might try that as a solution. i dont know what is different but believe that its the case.

Doesn't the Pro have the Ti axle and the Platinum the steel one? I wonder if this might be due to some flexing issues with the Ti version. The Ti ISIS axles are known to be effed in the event of a good hard fall....So, maybe they are thinning them out to the limit.....