PDA

View Full Version : New Tubeless Tire from Mavic

Clancy
05-22-2017, 09:04 AM
So I spoke to a Mavic rep the other day. He stated he will soon be going to a sales meeting where Mavic will debut a new tubeless tire and wheel system that he claims allows the tubeless tires to be mounted by hand and inflated with a floor pump. The claim is also that the tires can be removed by hand.

This I want to see

ColonelJLloyd
05-22-2017, 09:25 AM
So I spoke to a Mavic rep the other day. He stated he will soon be going to a sales meeting where Mavic will debut a new tubeless tire and wheel system that he claims allows the tubeless tires to be mounted by hand and inflated with a floor pump. The claim is also that the tires can be removed by hand.

This I want to see

That's not all that difficult to achieve with stiff sidewalls. My Maxxis Ikon mounted and sealed up seemingly by just looking at it.

sandyrs
05-22-2017, 10:17 AM
That's not all that difficult to achieve with stiff sidewalls. My Maxxis Ikon mounted and sealed up seemingly be just looking at it.

Seconded, that description is pretty much standard for every mtb tire I've used and even some CX tires (Schwalbe X-One and Clement PDX specifically).

JStonebarger
05-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Doesn't stiff sidewall = high rolling resistance?

ColonelJLloyd
05-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Doesn't stiff sidewall = high rolling resistance?

Yes. Which is why I'm not particularly excited about these tires given the claim.

cpamplin
05-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Just this morning I mounted new Hutchinson Fusion tubeless tires on new Easton EA90 tubeless ready wheels, for the first time, by hand. Using a floor pump. It was easy. Seems like a pretty achievable goal for Mavic.

ultraman6970
05-22-2017, 12:21 PM
They are going to call it "whatever" and sell them like the last idea in cycling for a lot of money.

Clancy
05-22-2017, 01:50 PM
I've mounted plenty of MTB tires by hand, but still used a compressor to inflate. We are talking road tubeless. 25c and 28

My understanding from the Mavic rep is their new tires will be able to be installed and removed by hand, no levers. And inflate using an everyday floor pump. If that is true it will make road tubeless available to anyone who knows even the most basic of bike maintenance.

Not so sure that type of ease of installation is out there by others. Could be wrong, but I haven't come across it.

ColonelJLloyd
05-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Not so sure that type of ease of installation is out there by others. Could be wrong, but I haven't come across it.

I believe you are correct. I was trying to offer a reason that this is the case. That reason is that stiffer sidewalls are necessary to achieve this degree of installation ease. I suppose everyone has their own equation as to the trade offs between ease of installation and ride quality. Perhaps Mavic has really created a game-changer. Guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Personally, I don't see myself ever purchasing 25mm and 28mm tires again, tubeless or not. I'm still riding tubes (latex) on my 32mm tires.

Mark McM
05-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Isn't the reason that high pressure/flow is require to mount tubeless tires largely due to the need to force the bead onto the tight fitting "shelves" by the rim sidewalls? I have some tubeless-ready rims, and even with ordinary clinchers/tubes it takes about 40 psi for the beads to seat onto the shelves. Without a tube to hold the hold the air, I imagine it would take quite a large air flow to develop this pressure.

Do the Mavic tires not require such high forces/pressures to seat the beads on the rim shelves?

eippo1
05-22-2017, 02:58 PM
I believe you are correct. I was trying to offer a reason that this is the case. That reason is that stiffer sidewalls are necessary to achieve this degree of installation ease. I suppose everyone has their own equation as to the trade offs between ease of installation and ride quality. Perhaps Mavic has really created a game-changer. Guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Personally, I don't see myself ever purchasing 25mm and 28mm tires again, tubeless or not. I'm still riding tubes (latex) on my 32mm tires.

Can't say I've ever equated anything Mavic with ride quality. Tried a couple levels of Ksyriums and turned my bike into a stiff & uncomfortable ride no matter what tire I used. Maybe their $1200+ offerings are different, but I don't want to spend the money to check it out.