PDA

View Full Version : Biking in/around Kansas City, MO

kingpin75s
05-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Just spent the last 48 hours in Kansas City, MO with the family. Had not been through in about 25 years and wanted some good BBQ and to just do another 1 day drive trip with the family this month. It did not disappoint.

As I was sitting at Brioche Pastry on Main St before heading home this morning, I noticed a guy riding a Soma at the light. I sat and enjoyed my very flakey Croissant and a Cappuccino and watched a decent amount of bike traffic cross Main while I was there.

City seemed pretty easy to get around. I plan to get back more often. Was curious what the road, dirt and trail riding was like in the area. Any KC locals here?

jruhlen1980
05-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Just spent the last 48 hours in Kansas City, MO with the family. Had not been through in about 25 years and wanted some good BBQ and to just do another 1 day drive trip with the family this month. It did not disappoint.

As I was sitting at Brioche Pastry on Main St before heading home this morning, I noticed a guy riding a Soma at the light. I sat and enjoyed my very flakey Croissant and a Cappuccino and watched a decent amount of bike traffic cross Main while I was there.

City seemed pretty easy to get around. I plan to get back more often. Was curious what the road, dirt and trail riding was like in the area. Any KC locals here?

I live a few miles west so I don't have much experience in KCMO, plus it's a big city so it depends where you're talking about. But there's a lot of cycling of all flavors in town, gravel, road, MTB, CX, etc. @jgrooms could probably answer some specifics, if he sees this.

There's lots of climbing to be had in western MO and eastern, and not terribly hard to get to. Gravel is big around here.

TAW
05-22-2017, 12:22 PM
I lived in KC until about 8 months ago. I lived in the north part and there's some great road riding around the airport and just north of there. I worked at a bike shop in Parkville called Epic Bike and Sport and they can tell you quite a bit about the riding scene for road and trail.

kingpin75s
05-22-2017, 02:39 PM
I live a few miles west so I don't have much experience in KCMO, plus it's a big city so it depends where you're talking about.

Stayed in the Union Station area as I prefer to drive as little as possible when I visit somewhere.

Expect I will stay in the same area going forward. Will probably bring a cross bike for a combination of city riding and hitting gravel if accessible enough from my base location.

Skipped the Almanzo 100 this year for the first time after 5 straight years riding it. Was not the worst year to miss with my usual riding crew cancelling early this year and the weather pretty tough. Most of the riders I know bailed at the 40 mile mark in Preston this year so was happy to be in KC for a tough edition of the annual suffer-fest.

kingpin75s
05-22-2017, 02:42 PM
I lived in KC until about 8 months ago. I lived in the north part and there's some great road riding around the airport and just north of there. I worked at a bike shop in Parkville called Epic Bike and Sport and they can tell you quite a bit about the riding scene for road and trail.

Will have to scout all the good local shops before next visit. Thanks.

icepick_trotsky
05-22-2017, 02:47 PM
I travel to KC a fair amount for work. If you want to shop for the nicest bikes in the most disorganized possible conditions, I recommend Volker.

kingpin75s
05-22-2017, 03:20 PM
I travel to KC a fair amount for work. If you want to shop for the nicest bikes in the most disorganized possible conditions, I recommend Volker.

Volker will be on the list for sure. Was closed Saturday evening, but took a peek through the window while killing some time before our reservation at Q39.

Room 39 next door looked like a nice spot for dinner as well, but maybe not for the kid.

icepick_trotsky
05-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Volker will be on the list for sure. Was closed Saturday evening, but took a peek through the window while killing some time before our reservation at Q39.

Room 39 next door looked like a nice spot for dinner as well, but maybe not for the kid.

I've eaten there. Pretty nice contemporary French/neuveau American.

ahumblecycler
05-23-2017, 03:38 AM
Lived in KC for nearly 9 years before making way east to DC/NoVA.

Volker was my team shop, and I continue to do business with him. Deals can be found throughout the store - bring cash to support the locally owned business.

Many cyclists will do laps around the downtown airport, which is just a hop skip away from Union Station. From there, you can venture down 9 to Parkville and continue north up to Weston and beyond. Gravel starts becoming more prominent once you get north of Parkville.

KC cycling allows you to mix up terrain and surface - you can do 100 miles on flat or hills (you'll always have wind) and either on pavement or gravel.

KVN
05-23-2017, 11:01 PM
My parents live in Shawnee KS, I like riding out by Lake Quivira and on the Mill Creek Trail. There are mtb trails in Shawnee Mission Park if you want to do some mixed terrain riding.