PDA

View Full Version : White Industries T11 hub thrust washers question

NHAero
05-21-2017, 05:04 PM
The WI instructions are very detailed and nicely illustrated with photos. I've got my rear hub disassembled to replace bearings and there are two thrust washers instead of the one shown clearly in the photos, and I'm not even certain where #2 came from since I wasn't expecting it. I think it came from between the freehub outer bearing and the fixed axle end on the axle (the thrust washer shown in the instructions is between the inner side of the freehub, where the pawls are, and the hub shell bearing).

Does this second thrust washer ring a bell with anyone? It's clear the hub has been apart before - for one thing, the freehub parts are greased and WI specifically say DO NOT GREASE in caps :-)

Thanks!

Tony
05-21-2017, 05:18 PM
If you also call them WI, 707-769-5600. They are very helpful!

NHAero
05-21-2017, 06:25 PM
I agree! I re-assembled the hub after replacing the bearings, and used just the one thrust washer shown in their instructions, but I'll call tomorrow to verify.

If you also call them WI, 707-769-5600. They are very helpful!

November Dave
05-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Just use one thrust washer. Between the cassette body inboard bearing and the drive side hub shell bearing. There's only one thrust washer in a T11 rear.

The lubricant that comes in the hub looks an awful awful lot like grease (off white looking) so you've probably got the original stuff in there. When I service them I wipe all that off and use thinner stuff.

WI are great to deal with.