PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Fatality

ZippRider
08-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Today I lost a very good friend and cycling companion...

August 22, 2006

2 officers killed during charity ride

By Vic Ryckaert
vic.ryckaert@indystar.com

Two off-duty police officers on a cross-state bicycle ride for charity died today when they were hit by a truck in western Indiana, a state police spokesman said.

A box truck collided with the group of riders about 12:30 p.m. on Ind. 63 near Perrysville, about five miles east of the Illinois border, the Vermillion County Sheriff’s Department said.
State police spokesman Sgt. Ray Poole confirmed that two riders were killed. Their names were not immediately released. Three other riders were injured.

The officers were taking part in a 13-day bicycle trek around the state to raise money for the survivors of fallen officers.

The 1,058-mile ride began last Wednesday from the Indiana Law Enforcement and Firefighters Memorial near the Statehouse. More than 30 bicyclists were expected to participate in portions of the ride; eight cyclists were planning to ride the entire route.

The officers were said to be on a stretch heading from Boswell to Terre Haute and were scheduled to wrap up at 5:30 today. They were expected to reach Newport around 2:30 p.m.

The officers were doing the ride in segments, heading east out of Indianapolis to Richmond last week, then across the northern tier of the state, and then down south along the western border of the state.

Money raised supports Indiana Concerns of Police Survivors, which provides support for families of officers killed in the line of duty and helps send them to Washington, D.C., for annual memorial services.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

cydewaze
08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
I wonder if this means the driver (assuming he was at fault) will get more than the usual slap on the wrist.

I'm getting sick of reading about the "oops, you killed someone, but at least it was only a cyclist" stories.

RABikes2
08-23-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. How very sad.
RA

Chad Engle
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Truly sorry to hear about this. God bless and keep their families.

Bud
08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Sorry to hear about this. It's sad to see so many "fatality" threads. This one caught my eye in particular because it occurred where I was born and raised (IN).

We all need to be advocates for cycling.

Thoughts are with you in your time of loss, man.

gasman
08-23-2006, 10:51 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss and the poor famlies who lost their Father/Husband/Son/ Friend. My condolances.

dbrown
08-23-2006, 11:22 AM
The local news report showed an interview last week with one of the victims. They had interviewed him while he was riding his Serotta on a trainer.

ada@prorider.or
08-23-2006, 12:12 PM
what a tragedy

and what a country that this goes on and on

and nobody does something to stop this

JasonH
08-23-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm getting pretty tired of ada's constant US bashing, anybody else?

Who are you to say that nobody is doing anything? What a patently absurd statement.

ada@prorider.or
08-23-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm getting pretty tired of ada's constant US bashing, anybody else?

Who are you to say that nobody is doing anything? What a patently absurd statement.

i think family of the victoms would not agree with you
how the hell this was possible

and its not the attend for me to offend any one
but i read and see so much of this so called accidents

and its not ADA saying this but cees beers
ADA is my wife name
who also said i would not ride there on a bike for pleasure
if you say how dangerous it is for some on a bike

(own experiance)

and i do not want to start a war about this tragedy
becuase thats what it is

(what do you about this,to stop this so called accidents)
i at least write some letters to mare´s about this,and ideas how to change it)

Louis
08-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Trying to get this on a more objective footing:

Is any evidence that could be used to determine whether or not drivers in the US behave in a more reckless fashion toward cyclists than drivers elsewhere in the world?

If there isn't then have no way of knowing if Cees is right or wrong in what he says. If that is the case, who knows, he may be right.

I think some are a bit thin-skinned when it comes to criticism, whether it is justified or not.

Louis

Ken Robb
08-23-2006, 03:29 PM
I too find ADA's comment rude. I guess the USA is the only country that he has ever heard of that has traffic accidents.

Big Dan
08-23-2006, 03:36 PM
I see a lot of people getting killed and nothing else........ :(

ada@prorider.or
08-23-2006, 03:42 PM
I too find ADA's comment rude. I guess the USA is the only country that he has ever heard of that has traffic accidents.

well its almost except (swiss) where the hold bike race´s
and do not close the road for other trafiic

hardly seen anything like this in europa asia

i seen on highways in usa cyclist middle of the night
through the days ,beleive me in europa its not possible
you are on tv or on thye radio instantly!!
but normal is USA

no bike pads no separate lane´s

it must be me i would go mountain biking instead

Samster
08-23-2006, 03:43 PM
what a tragedy

and what a country that this goes on and on

and nobody does something to stop this

indeed! and no one gets hit/killed by cars in europe? you need to do some basic research before you make statements like this.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jul03/jul21news
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2005/jul05/jul19news2

or even better, take a course on basic marketing to help polish your approach to a potential customer base.

ada@prorider.or
08-23-2006, 03:57 PM
, take a course on basic marketing to help polish your approach to a potential customer base.

again i am here as a privat person not to market anything!

my work has nothing to do with it
the only thing i polish is my bike my wife and my kids

(but i think you would not understand that humour)

Samster
08-23-2006, 04:03 PM
the only thing i polish is my bike my wife and my kids

(but i think you would not understand that humour)
absolutely correct.

ada@prorider.or
08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
absolutely correct!

well its stays a tragedy for the family involved in those death
let we please thinki about them ,and how to prevent those things happening in the future instead or arguing here about marketing and as always money

telenick
08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
...but first my sincere condolences to all who are feeling the weight of this accident in their hearts. I can feel their pain as I write this. I have lost two close friends to bicycle/auto collisions.

Now, I'm gonna chime in here because my perception is that cees is right on the money.

Hear me out...

I am the son of Italian immigrants. My whole extended family is in Florence. I go there frequently. Travelling back and forth really defines my perception of the contrast in cycling awareness and tolerance between Italians and Americans. And let me tell you, the contrast is like night and day. Generally speaking, Europeans love cyclists and Americans abhor them.

Forget polished delivery. Forget being cautioned for a rude response to this and every bicycle/auto collision. In fact, we all need to get rude about this issue with legislators, law enforcement and so on. Write a fookin letter for petey sakes.

Bottom line ...the contrast needs to lessen.

Samster
08-23-2006, 04:21 PM
indeed! and no one gets hit/killed by cars in europe? you need to do some basic research before you make statements like this.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jul03/jul21news
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2005/jul05/jul19news2

or even better, take a course on basic marketing to help polish your approach to a potential customer base.in retrospect, that last line was a personal attack and in bad form. as such, my apologies to mr. beer.

well its stays a tragedy for the family involved in those death
let we please thinki about them ,and how to prevent those things happening in the future
yes.

landshark_98
08-23-2006, 04:29 PM
I've only ridden in France and Italy, so hardly have a world wide experience, but the difference when I rode there as opposed to here is night and day. Sure there are accidents everywhere - Germany, Australia, US have featured prominently in these tragedies the past year or so.

But let's face it, in general Americans are in love with powerful cars and loath anything that gets in their way or slows them down. Driver's attention spans are short, and many are poor drivers to begin with, and are far too easily distacted by cell phones, drinking, impatience whatever. Many are completely intolerant of anyone that is "different" from them.

It has been sad observing the response to the tragic death we had here in Eugene earlier this summer. Since that incident I have been cursed and confronted on numerous occasions by rural residents some of whom think we are qoute "skinny assed, funny dressed city folks with a death wish" who have no right to slow down hard working honest americans with our trivial recreational pursuit of bicycle riding. I have been flat out amazed how a cyclists death has enraged a segment of the community against cycling. Broken bottles in roads and changing markers on organized rides, letters to the editor, personal confrontations in rural markets. We are all too often an intolerant, myopic, impatient society. And this from Eugene - on of the last bastions of hippie dom.

Chad Engle
08-23-2006, 04:43 PM
This forum constantly bashes drivers and the system for not doing anything about these types of accidents. Cees mentions it and the hammer comes down. :confused:

Louis
08-23-2006, 04:46 PM
This forum constantly bashes drivers and the system for not doing anything about these types of accidents. Cees mentions it and the hammer comes down. :confused:

Not to be too political, but given how things are going in the world for the US these days, I think some are a bit on the defensive side...

67-59
08-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I have not had the privilege of riding in Italy or France, but from everything I have ever read, cees and the last few posters seem to be right on.

I love lots of things about the USA, and I'll get all over someone who criticizes many of the positive attributes of our country. But the sad reality is that WAY too many of our drivers do suck, and have the attitude that cyclists don't belong on the road. That is not to say that bad things don't happen elsewhere -- I know they do -- but I've read way too many articles lately about some US rider getting killed. And to add insult to injury, the articles often express views of authors and drivers that "it's too bad, but the guy/gal was asking for it." Our country does lots of things right, but protecting cyclists ain't one of them....

Spinner
08-23-2006, 04:54 PM
ZippRider, sorry for your loss. And condolances to the affected families. As a native Hoosier, this incident saddens me greatly.

It has been my observation that for many American drivers, the idiot switch is flipped-on as the ignition key is inserted. Many folks display little or no regard for fellow motorists, let alone cyclists. And the advent of cell phones has made the entire matter worse.

I have no problem with cees beers and his comments. Sadly, I think he is right.

It is my hope that this latest tradegy in Indiana will move police forces and the courts around the country to tighten-up on those who choose to use autos as tools of homocide.

Samster
08-23-2006, 05:02 PM
i see both sides. a lot of drivers in this country absolutely suck. and, frankly, so do a lot of cyclists in the way they ride.

in this country, it seems that a significant fraction of our two-wheeled brethren are as completely clueless as their four-wheeled counterparts. the umbrella they share is the culture and attitudes of this country.

that doesn't justify vehicular homicide, but there are two sides to this coin.

i don't claim to know how european drivers drive or how european cyclists ride.

ada@prorider.or
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
i see both sides. a lot of drivers in this country absolutely suck. and, frankly, so do a lot of cyclists in the way they ride.

well meaby that is a part of the problem
almost evry kid here goes to shool on the bike ,its a way they are raised

meaby there is the key of the whole thing ,try to let the kids bike on shools i know its a problem in lot of case´s to let them bike to shool ,but meaby as a sporting event at shool like we have here gynastic´s they learn how to ride a bike in the USA is that not a good thing to propose to the schools and gouverment!!
just a idea

ShortRider
08-23-2006, 06:16 PM
But I do second the sentiment that there seems to be a greater anti-cycling, anti-different and in general, intolerant ethos in the US currently. I think that before the rise of a president who claims his actions to be guided by God, and the rise of the radical "christian" right in general, that people were far more tolerant. Now, it seems to me that intolerance is the prevailing ethos.

The fact is, if people are always going around thinking, "I am right because I am "christian," "white," "straight," "rich," "hardworking," "not cycling and blocking traffic," (fill in the blank with what you wish)" their actions no longer need to follow "norms" of behavior: after all, they are right, you are therefore, by definition, wrong, and thus less worthy, more dispensable.

Until that prevailing ethos of intolerance changes, I think things will not change very much. Again, just my theory, so don't scream at me too much.

gdw
08-23-2006, 06:23 PM
This isn't the place to post your political opinions.

JohnS
08-23-2006, 06:41 PM
But I do second the sentiment that there seems to be a greater anti-cycling, anti-different and in general, intolerant ethos in the US currently. I think that before the rise of a president who claims his actions to be guided by God, and the rise of the radical "christian" right in general, that people were far more tolerant. Now, it seems to me that intolerance is the prevailing ethos.

The fact is, if people are always going around thinking, "I am right because I am "christian," "white," "straight," "rich," "hardworking," "not cycling and blocking traffic," (fill in the blank with what you wish)" their actions no longer need to follow "norms" of behavior: after all, they are right, you are therefore, by definition, wrong, and thus less worthy, more dispensable.

Until that prevailing ethos of intolerance changes, I think things will not change very much. Again, just my theory, so don't scream at me too much.
Geez, and things were just hunky-dory before GWB came into office? Then why did they have to enact the Civil Rights Act of 1964? ShortRider, you must have a "Short" memory.

Don
08-23-2006, 07:02 PM
There is a way we all can help make cycling more accepted and safer in this country. Join the League of American Bicyclists and use your efforts to promote their Safe Routes to School program, their willingness to lobby on the Hill for "Share the Road programs," their supporting actions in various state battles (mine included in our law suit against the Florida Department of Transportation) and their constant efforts to educate motorists, pedestrians and law enforcement personnel.

Too often we take too much for granted. If we, those who love our sport, aren't willing to commit time and finances to protect what we love, who will?

spiderlake
08-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Zipprider, my thoughts are with you and my sincere condolences on the loss of your friend. No matter where a senseless death occurs (US, Europe) it is a life ended and potential gone unrealized.

I generally feel safe on the roads here in the US just as I do in Europe. However, Cees does have a point in that Europe seems better able to accomodate cyclists and the whole culture that surrounds them. Perhaps it is because of the utilitarian nature of bikes and that they are simply everywhere but European drivers seem to co-exist peacefully with cyclists.

gone
08-23-2006, 07:37 PM
There is a way we all can help make cycling more accepted and safer in this country.
There is a second thing we can do: take action to make the routes we ride safer. I'll give two local examples from the area I live in.

A contractor was hired by the county to install water & sewage lines to support a new subdivision. The route these lines took ran parallel to a road with bike lanes on both sides. The contractor dug trenches along the road, tearing up the bike lanes, installed the pipe and covered it over with gravel. Goodbye bike lanes.

A developer building a subdivision installed curbing that literally shunts anyone using the shoulder out into traffic where the speed limit is 55 mph - there's no where else to go.

In the first case, I called, wrote and complained to the county roads supervisor as well as the sheriff's office. The contract required the contractor to "restore the roadway" which they clearly didn't do. Ultimately, they were required to come out and repave the bike lanes.

In the second, since this was in the city limits I called the city manager and the chief of police to report an unsafe intersection. Long story short, the developer relaid the curbing.

In addition to the attitude of the drivers there is the secondary issue of making city and county highway departments do their jobs to protect the safety of all users of the roads. That's something we all can do. This took a few hours of my time and the result is a few roads that I and others ride that are a little safer. If you see something that's unsafe for cyclists, take the time to call, write and complain. Your tax dollars are building the roads you use.

2LeftCleats
08-23-2006, 08:34 PM
It amazes me the direction this thread has taken. Not having ridden or driven extensively in Europe, I'm ill-prepared to compare US drivers with those overseas, but but I suspect the gist of many of the statements is accurate: US drivers aren't used to sharing the road with cyclists and don't know how to behave. (We've all collected our share of anecdotes.) But while this no doubt contributes to many of the cycling accidents in the US, I think it's irrelevant in this particular case. As reported in the local paper, the cause is under investigation. The group of riders were followed by a support vehicle, compete with flashing warning sign. The offending truck driver, drove into the support vehicle, which in turn struck the riders. Whether the truck driver was tired, intoxicated, or suffered some sort of medical problem hasn't been disclosed, but it seems unlikely that it represents malice.

67-59
08-23-2006, 09:29 PM
It amazes me the direction this thread has taken. Not having ridden or driven extensively in Europe, I'm ill-prepared to compare US drivers with those overseas, but but I suspect the gist of many of the statements is accurate: US drivers aren't used to sharing the road with cyclists and don't know how to behave. (We've all collected our share of anecdotes.) But while this no doubt contributes to many of the cycling accidents in the US, I think it's irrelevant in this particular case. As reported in the local paper, the cause is under investigation. The group of riders were followed by a support vehicle, compete with flashing warning sign. The offending truck driver, drove into the support vehicle, which in turn struck the riders. Whether the truck driver was tired, intoxicated, or suffered some sort of medical problem hasn't been disclosed, but it seems unlikely that it represents malice.

I suspect ignorance and/or carelessness are as likely as (perhaps more likely than) malice. But the guys are dead (like many before them), so I don't think it much matters now. And yes, this particular incident could have been one of those unusual cases caused by a medical issue, but even if it is, that doesn't change the reality that US drivers are generally ignorant, careless and yes, sometimes malicious, when it comes to cyclists. I think that's why this thread has taken this direction....

William
08-24-2006, 05:44 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

William

djcwardog
08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
As reported in the local paper, the cause is under investigation. The group of riders were followed by a support vehicle, compete with flashing warning sign. The offending truck driver, drove into the support vehicle, which in turn struck the riders. Whether the truck driver was tired, intoxicated, or suffered some sort of medical problem hasn't been disclosed, but it seems unlikely that it represents malice.

I am struck by the sad irony that these two fine and dedicated police officers leave families behind - who now are potential recipients of aid from the cause the officers died riding in support of...

Just tragic! I ride in the country sometimes and the speed differential between my bike and the 55+ mph cars - even those cars with drivers who are alert and have no problems sharing the road with me - often gives me cause for alarm.

Dekonick
08-24-2006, 03:53 PM
My prayers go with you and your friends families. A sad loss to say the least.

Be safe out there!

bcm119
08-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this. Its a tragedy that is being played out too frequently all across the country.

And I think Cees has a very good point here.
well meaby that is a part of the problem
almost evry kid here goes to shool on the bike ,its a way they are raised

meaby there is the key of the whole thing ,try to let the kids bike on shools i know its a problem in lot of case´s to let them bike to shool ,but meaby as a sporting event at shool like we have here gynastic´s they learn how to ride a bike in the USA is that not a good thing to propose to the schools and gouverment!!
just a idea

We are increasingly afraid to let children ride to school. We are simply afraid of everything now, and it seems to be a vicious circle. Adults are afraid of teenagers, which makes them feel more alienated, and they have more problems. We buy larger and larger cars to protect our kids from other large cars. We work longer hours to buy bigger houses that we don't have time to maintain. Our culture simply has no time or room for cyclists.

The typical american view of cyclists is this: there is a time and place for cycling, between the end of your office job day and your microwave dinner, and its 5:15pm to 6pm, in the next suburb over from where you work, in a padded gym classroom with all the other exercise freaks.

I think the fundamental difference between here and across the pond is that europeans respect the concept of leisure activity and enjoyment of life.

93legendti
08-24-2006, 04:33 PM
well its almost except (swiss) where the hold bike race´s
and do not close the road for other trafiic

hardly seen anything like this in europa asia

i seen on highways in usa cyclist middle of the night
through the days ,beleive me in europa its not possible
you are on tv or on thye radio instantly!!
but normal is USA

no bike pads no separate lane´s

it must be me i would go mountain biking instead

If my memory is correct, it happened during a race in Mexico a few years back. I think Marco Pantani also had a bad accident after a car came on the course during a race in '95 or so, in Italy...yes?

Zipp, sorry for your loss...

oracle
08-24-2006, 04:58 PM

i agree.

oracle
08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
...but first my sincere condolences to all who are feeling the weight of this accident in their hearts. I can feel their pain as I write this. I have lost two close friends to bicycle/auto collisions.

Now, I'm gonna chime in here because my perception is that cees is right on the money.

Hear me out...

I am the son of Italian immigrants. My whole extended family is in Florence. I go there frequently. Travelling back and forth really defines my perception of the contrast in cycling awareness and tolerance between Italians and Americans. And let me tell you, the contrast is like night and day. Generally speaking, Europeans love cyclists and Americans abhor them.

Forget polished delivery. Forget being cautioned for a rude response to this and every bicycle/auto collision. In fact, we all need to get rude about this issue with legislators, law enforcement and so on. Write a fookin letter for petey sakes.

Bottom line ...the contrast needs to lessen.

that echoes my perpective.
give cees a break
he has an opinion

bcm119
08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Relating to this subject, a local racer (and serotta forumite) posted this to
our racing listserve in a discussion of a local vehicle/cyclist accident. I
found it to be a well articulated, keen observation. I won't mention the
author's name unless he wants to chime in here.

“There would be no motor vehicle / bicycle accidents if
cyclists did not ride on roads. But they do ride. Both cyclists and motorists
have not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to share the roads safely.
We all know that. How shall we convince everyone who uses the roads of
that? I know there are groups and organizations that promote safe cycling
and safe motoring. Let's give them our support.”

What is needed are new spokespersons that can promote “sharing the road”
among the non-cyclist and the anti-cyclist population. Having someone like
Lance Armstrong as a spokesperson would be a waste of time and money,
because he wouldn’t reach the target audience. I truly believe that
organizations like NASCAR and the NHRA need to be at the forefront of a
national campaign that promotes sharing the road with cyclists. If NASCAR
ran Public Service Bulletins with Jeff Gordon, or Dale Ernhardt Jr. telling their
fans how they respect the rights of cyclists and give cyclists a wide berth
when passing, I believe that it could be tremendously effective. I am not
trying to stereotype NASCAR or NHRA fans (I am a fan of both), but I do
believe that fans of automobile racing would be a key audience to target.
Other organizations that could have an impact are the beer manufacturers
(Budweiser, Miller, Coors), Country Music (Toby Keith, Faith Hill, Tim
McGraw) and the American Automobile Makers (Ford, GM, Mopar).

It is a very divisive society that we live in today. Modern politicians and talk
radio have nurtured an “us against them” attitude, and we are asked to
choose sides on topics like the war, gay rights and immigration. Lately,
cycling on public roads has people choosing sides once again. What are
needed are new alliances among groups and organizations that may have
completely different agendas, but seek a common goal. I would love to see
USA Cycling, the League of American Wheelmen and OBRA form alliances
with the previously mentioned organizations to promote mutual respect
among cyclists and drivers. I can cry out that I am a cyclist and I want
respect, but I would either be preaching to the choir or my cry would fall on
deaf ears. However, if Jeff Gordon would say, “He’s a cyclist, I respect his
right to be on the road and you should, too”, now that would be a message
that could change a lot of attitudes. How do we get there from here?

ZippRider
08-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Governor comments on trooper's death

Aug 24, 2006 06:24 PM EDT

Lt. Gary Dudley

Funerals are scheduled next week for the two police officers killed in this week's bicycle accident in western Indiana.
Investigators returned to the scene of Tuesday's accident today to finish reconstructing the chain-reaction accident. Indiana State Police Lieutenant Gary Dudley and Retired Lake County Sheriff's Department Chief Gary Martin died when a truck slammed into a support vehicle just behind them.

Governor Daniels says there are no words to describe his feelings. Lieutenant Dudley trained many of his troopers at the police academy in Plainfield.

"These men were each obviously very remarkable. Lt. Dudley left such a mark - I know so many troopers who trained under him, that saw him almost as a mentor or even a father figure as well as a friend - and he will be irreplaceable in that respect," said the governor.

ZippRider
08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Bicyclist Mourns Officers Death

Aug 24, 2006 05:41 PM EDT

Bicyclist Mourns Officers Death

Steve Knight

Lt. Gary Dudley

By Mike Corbin
News 8 @ 6:00

IPD Officer Steve Knight is in shock and lucky to be alive. He was one of the officers on the charity bike ride where two others were killed. He spoke out for the first time Thursday.

"There's a lot of questions that need to be answered yet. I know what I saw and I know what my other cyclists saw that I was with," said Knight. "It was like time stood still. When the impact occurred and I looked back everything went in slow motion and I knew I had to get out of the way."

Because of the pending investigation, Knight couldn't say exactly what he saw, but he considers himself lucky to be alive. Knight is one of the organizers of the Indiana C.O.P.S. bike ride and has known Lt. Gary Dudley for years.

"What I saw, no one should have to see that. I considered him not just a good friend of mine, but somebody that I admired," Knight said of Lt. Dudley.

Knight knew Dudley well, rode bikes with him, planned projects with him. Now Lt. Dudley is gone and Knight is mourning with Dudley's loved ones.

"I know I speak for Monica and Rich, I really miss him already," Knight said.

Officer Knight says the Indiana C.O.P.S. charity bike ride will continue in the future. He says he really wants officers to finish the final leg of the ride. He says if they don't do it as a group, he'll do it alone, for himself and his friend Gary Dudley.

JasonH
08-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Chad Engle
This forum constantly bashes drivers and the system for not doing anything about these types of accidents. Cees mentions it and the hammer comes down.

By saying nobody does anything about it, he was bashing everybody that does try to promote safety and awareness in the country.

As far as who has worse drivers, or more wrecks, I'd be inclined to believe that due to the relative sizes of the US and other countries there's no way we'll ever fall out of the forefront. But that's all semantics since it obviously doesn't matter where you're at. If it happens it's tragic, no matter what the level of tolerance is.

Chad Engle
08-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I didn't take his post as bashing anyone. I think WE are all a little ethno-centric and thin skinned at times. imho. I guess his opinion is irrelevant as he doesn't live here....

KKevin
08-25-2006, 11:03 AM
I remember watching the first news coverage of this and werent there other cyclists hurt?

ZippRider
08-26-2006, 01:54 PM
I remember watching the first news coverage of this and werent there other cyclists hurt?

Yes, he was bruised and has a lot of road rash.. There were 10 or 12 riders at the time. No one else went down. My understanding from talking to one of the officers who was riding was hearing a loud crash and looking back to see what happened. He said then everyone was trying to get the hell out of the way.

Needs Help
08-26-2006, 02:44 PM
There is a way we all can help make cycling more accepted and safer in this country. Join the League of American Bicyclists
Thanks. Just joined.

crossjunkee
08-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Here's an update from Indiana Bicycle Coalition. Please be careful.

Cops Riding for C.O.P.S
No doubt you heard about the terrible tragedy that occurred last week during the Cops Ride. The funeral for one of the officers, Gary Martin, was 8/28 in NW Indiana. The funeral for the
other officer, Gary Dudley, is 8/29 in Indianapolis, In addition, there is a memorial ride on Thursday (8/31) in Indianapolis to finish the COPS ride in Crown Hill (see below)
For additional information about this and future activities, please visit www.indianacops.org

For those who are interested in participating the final leg of the COPS ride.... On Aug. 31st at 2pm we are gathering at the John Hinkle Field House on the Bulter Campus. The ride will start at 3pm into the Crown Hill Cemetery to present the donations to Concerns of Police Survivors and to honor out fallen heroes. All are welcome to come...its only about 2miles..... Please pass on the ride information. Thanks!

Officer Monica Zahasky BPD 1396

The Indiana Bicycle Coalition office received several calls from the media about this tragedy and I had the opportunity to speak with the media about bicycle safety this past week. Although some in the media have wanted to paint this incident as a bicycle safety issue, it truly is a motor vehicle safety issue that had tragic consequences for the bicyclists in the wake of the crash.

I also had the opportunity to speak with police officer Steve Knight who helped organize the ride and was riding with the group when it happened. Officer Knight was out bicycling on this past Saturday with his daughter and girlfriend at a local club ride. From my conversations with him both on Wednesday and on Saturday, it was very clear that although this was a very tragic accident, it had very little to do with bicycle safety. The officers were doing everything correctly on a four lane divided highway with a passing lane and shoulder. Their support vehicle was hit from behind by a fully loaded semi going 62 mph. Anything in front of the semi going less than 62 mph would have been hit. After hearing Officer Knight's description of the crash, it is a miracle the majority of the bicyclists were not injured or killed. Officer Knight has ridden from Indy to Washington DC and around the perimeter of the state three times prior without any incidents. The bicyclists are understandably shaken from the crash but are very strong in their resolve to finish the ride in honor of not only who they started out honoring but also their friends and colleagues who can't finish the ride with them on Thursday.

I invite everyone to join in celebrating the life of these two officers whose lives were tragically cut short by supporting the cause they were riding for, COPS, as well as the cause we all have in common, bicycling.

The Indiana Bicycle Coalition would like to do everything we can to prevent future bicycling fatalities and injuries. Here's two suggestions:
Contribute to the COPS (Concerns of Police Survivors)- visit www.indianacops.org for additional information.

Contribute to Indiana Bicycle Coalition's efforts to help educate motorists on the rights of bicyclists by making a donation at www.bicycleindiana.org. Put "Share the Road" in the note to indicate the purpose of the donation. Any contributions for our "Share the Road" campaign to help educate the general public on bicycle safety and the rights of bicyclists to ride throughout Indiana would be appreciated.