PDA

View Full Version : OT: roof top cargo boxes

etu
05-20-2017, 07:39 AM
need to get one of those boxes to carry camping gear and stuff.
seems to be quite a few models and choices.
recommendations/personal experiences?
will be mounted on a Prius.

melonyogloo
05-20-2017, 07:53 AM
I have used a Yakima Skybox 16 with my Subaru Outback for the past three years. I used it for snowboard and camping gears and I like it. REI is having a sale on Yakima and Thule roof boxes right now.

Mr. Pink
05-20-2017, 07:56 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=160455&highlight=Roof+top+cargo+box

estilley
05-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Thule Motion L or Force M are good sizes for the Prius. Super easy to take on and off the car.

Skybox 16 is less expensive but not quite as "sleek". Longer skis are possible with this one (up to 185cm vs 170s ish with the Thule).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ravdg316
05-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Buy it at REI so you can try it out and return after a year if it doesn't fit your needs. Thules look sleeker but are almost double the price. Thanks to the skybox I'm able to take 4 people plus ski gear (boards skis etc) comfortably to the mountains in a Honda Fit. The box does effect the way the car handles in the wind, though, so I keep it off the car and save it for big trips.

etu
05-20-2017, 04:19 PM
heading over to REI tomorrow
thanks!

pdmtong
05-20-2017, 04:42 PM
the 16 is the best all around size for a car since you can still open the trunk or liftgate. as you note, with the 20% now is the time to buy it.

dont get swayed by the mid-size. even if you have a larger vehicle, the larger boxes just allow for packing longer items, not necessarily heavier items. so give some thought as to what goes up there. I have a suburban and passed on the 18 or 21.

AngryScientist
05-20-2017, 04:47 PM
i agree with the REI idea and 20% off right now, but if you havent already take a spin around craigslist for a few minutes, especially since you are in densely populated area.

the one thing about a cargo box is that they arent necessarily easy to store once off the car, and people who live in the city, and smaller homes without garages in the burbs are usually eager to get rid of newish bulky items like roof boxes for a fraction of new cost.

pdmtong
05-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Mine is stored at my dads house. No room in our tiny garage or shed. Once I dispose of more things I will hang the box vertically on a garage wall. Yakima sells a short rack bar configured for this purpose.

kgreene10
05-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Don't put your dog up there. Little advice from Romney.