PDA

View Full Version : OT: positive outcome via chipping pet

TBLS
05-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Short story found dog walking on 5 lane road in traffic; no tags, etc. Animal control was able to ID owner within minutes via chip....all safe now!

Nice to know the technology works!!!

Lanternrouge
05-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Chipping is great. Combining it with GPS collars is even better. Both of them combined with keeping the dog secure is the best, though sometimes they are canine Houdinis.

chiasticon
05-19-2017, 01:14 PM
nice to hear, and good on you for helping out! was just looking into this for our new pup yesterday. it's apparently a very sorted thing with several chipping companies popping up, taking your cash, existing for a few years, then disappearing, doing who knows what with your data. at least, according to my vet...

new pup is a runner, so we need this! :)

Lanternrouge
05-19-2017, 01:25 PM
AVID chips are pretty popular, so will likely be around for a while. If you've got a runner, a Whistle GPS collar is great. It helped me recapture an escapee who otherwise might have ended might have been lost. They aren't perfect, but worth it for peace of mind.

Tickdoc
05-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Nice job!:beer:

05-19-2017, 09:20 PM
AVID chips are quite popular. All the chips are simple RFIDs and can be read by almost any scanner so brand isn't that important. It's more a matter of finding data once you have a chip code. But what you can also do is sign up for AKCReunite.org. This is a program by AKC that will file any chips, tattoos, some photos, records of any identifying marks, and you can activate that detailed record instantly if your dog goes missing. Then every AKC Reunite member and every AKC member gets an email alerting them to a lost dog. Police, shelters, and so on all get the blast as well. It handles any chip regardless of brand and you get a tag for your collar that has the AKCReunite phone number and record number, plus the chip code plus your own phone number and the dog's name. This all makes it a lot easier to identify the dog and get it home. If you find a dog with a chip but it had slipped its collar, the chip will link automatically to all this information if the dog's on the network. It's a great system that not enough people know about yet.

gavingould
05-20-2017, 09:15 AM
highly recommend the AVID chip.
the greyhound rescue i got my dog from (unfortunately he passed on about a month ago) chips them as part of the adoption process, obviously they're runners and have a tendency to chase almost anything if they can.
it's really cheap for the peace of mind it can give.

earlfoss
05-20-2017, 01:43 PM
That's a good outcome!

I think it would be a good idea for the government to mandate that all USA Americans have these implanted.

fa63
05-20-2017, 02:01 PM
At one point, our cat was gone for about three days. It turned out that she was having too much fun terrorizing the other animals in our neighborhood... One of our neighbors, who didn't know she was ours, ended up catching her in action and took her to a nearby vet to see if she was lost/chipped. She was, and we ended up receiving a somewhat embarrassing call to come and pick her up...

So yes, chips work!

Louis
05-20-2017, 02:19 PM
A story with a happy ending! :hello::hello::hello:

Ronsonic
05-20-2017, 07:51 PM
That's a good outcome!

I think it would be a good idea for the government to mandate that all USA Americans have these implanted.

The needle on my Troll-O-Meter is bent.

jumphigher
05-20-2017, 07:54 PM
I got someone's cat back to them by taking him to a vet and having him checked for a chip. Sure enough he had one and we were able to reunite him with his human. :)