PDA

View Full Version : How to get out of a funk after lower back injury

zlin
05-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Hi, Paceliners. Not much of a writer here but I'm looking for some advice. I'm cleared to be back on a bike after a couple months of PT. I've been working through l5 s1 disk issues in physical therapy and at a point where I can ride on a trainer for 30 minutes and get back outdoors for short rides very soon.

Any tips for getting back into shape, staying motivated, and working back up to regular group rides when you're much slower?

How did you pull yourself out of a funk after injury?

paredown
05-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Start slow, and do what you can.

It sounds trivial, but I had a crappy spring, 2nd surgery in March (not back though) and have been slowly building up strength and endurance. It seems pathetic but it is a victory that I can now stay on my feet for most of a day, and actually get stuff done.

Yesterday and today I actually gardened--shoveled dirt and all.:beer:

Bentley
05-17-2017, 07:35 PM
I'd go with what your Dr recommends, but core work helps me stay on the bike.

Ray

swaterfall
05-17-2017, 08:08 PM
I went through a long battle with l5s1 disc problems and for me hydration plays a huge roll. I didn't want to believe that at first but I experience way less symptoms if I keep up with my hydration.

Is gonna take time but you will it's if you are dedicated to your PT, especially core work and flexibility.

giordana93
05-17-2017, 09:05 PM
enjoy the scenery.

seriously, it is amazing what you don't see on a fitness-oriented ride. find a good scenic route, maybe some neighborhoods you always ride by but never through and hit em up. errands on the bike.
also, don't count miles, count minutes, as in I was able to do a half hour ride, up to an hour ride, etc. who cares how many miles (maybe remove the bike computer)

pay attention to bike set up too

wallymann
05-17-2017, 09:20 PM
...like 12 years back.

PT and core strength is key, along with hamstring flexibility.

make a strong/active core your new normal.

consider a suspension seatpost for the first 6+ months back on the bike.

Mr. Pink
05-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Don't give up! Yeah, horribly cliched, but, it works. I'm into a second full year of PT after knee problems, and, all I can tell you is that, I'm not all the way back, but much better than last year. Of course, at my late age, I'll probably never be all the way back, but, what's the alternative? TV and pills? Nuh uh, nosiree.

.RJ
05-18-2017, 06:34 AM
I'm going through the same thing, problem with L5/S1 that has caused some muscle imbalance (or maybe its the other way around). No surgery required but a good PT has helped me turn the corner I think.

Best thing I did was start leaving the garmin/gps at home. Go ride. Come back when you're ready.

dgauthier
05-18-2017, 07:09 AM
Just ride. Skip the group rides until you're back in shape.

Hilltopperny
05-18-2017, 07:33 AM
I have lower back issues as well. I ride by myself at my own pace and let my body tell me how long to ride for. Position and fit are very important when you have issues with your body.

Stay focused and don't try to do too much too fast. Once you feel like you can push yourself then slowly start doing so.

Tickdoc
05-18-2017, 08:02 AM
worth a look:

https://books.google.com/books/content/images/frontcover/4ApHidQhZcgC?fife=w300-rw

zlin
05-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Cheers for the feedback and tips, I really appreciate it. :beer:

No garmin or strava if you can believe it! I have a software job and cycling is my unplugged time. Sadly, the last several months tapping in front of a screen has won out and surfaced this injury. Luckily, I have a great PT and following all steps which is really helping, plus my posture is much improved. Standing desk for most of the day over slouching in a chair. Looking back it's clear how this happened and that's frustrating. Hard to believe that I'd be able to get out of bed without pain again but I am moving forward.

Great reminders to slow down, take in the scenery and stop along the way. I'm committed to the slow game and long term improvement over a pills and surgery.

Just ready to get back out there now that the weather is much improved and finding it hard to get on that first ride due to the 'what ifs' of going backwards after finally making progress in pt.

GregL
05-18-2017, 09:17 AM
Great advice in this thread! Went through a "bad back" period ten plus years ago. At its worst, I was completely dysfunctional. Couldn't sleep, stand, or sit without pain. Fortunately, found a great physical therapist who taught me how to get and stay pain-free. Keep up the PT and be patient! With a lot of work and a little luck, you'll become pain-free AND you'll appreciate cycling even more.

Greg

HenryA
05-18-2017, 12:17 PM
.... snipped a bunch out here

Just ready to get back out there now that the weather is much improved and finding it hard to get on that first ride due to the 'what ifs' of going backwards after finally making progress in pt.

Plan to ride the bike around the block once. After that, and if you still feel good, go a little longer. Then go home and celebrate your success. Baby steps at first and with little or no expectations of "performance".

Mzilliox
05-18-2017, 12:49 PM
enjoy the scenery.

seriously, it is amazing what you don't see on a fitness-oriented ride. find a good scenic route, maybe some neighborhoods you always ride by but never through and hit em up. errands on the bike.
also, don't count miles, count minutes, as in I was able to do a half hour ride, up to an hour ride, etc. who cares how many miles (maybe remove the bike computer)

pay attention to bike set up too

This is my biggest thing about group riding. nobody ever sees anything on the ride, all too busy trying to show off. i like riding pace because you can see tons of things. Turkey and deer don't even run away when you are on the bike.

go for adventures, bring a book and a snack, have fun! lifes too short.

.RJ
05-18-2017, 01:37 PM
This is my biggest thing about group riding. nobody ever sees anything on the ride, all too busy trying to show off

Find a different group :)

zlin
06-19-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm back, baby! (slow but happy!)

Back is improving through PT and I was able to get out Friday evening for a short roll around town. Took Sat off and put in a nice and slow Sunday afternoon ride.

Looked back and I went to doc on 4/4 without being able to tie my own shoes or walk without 8/10 pain and now I'm on trainer for 30 mins a day with 30 mins of stretches/yoga based off PT. Using my standing desk instead of sitting has made a big difference along with posture tips from PT.

Want to say thanks for the community and advice to all who shared.

Next up is how to get a fishing rod attached to the bike for those rest/stretching stops!

fuzzalow
06-19-2017, 09:31 AM
I have lower back issues as well. I ride by myself at my own pace and let my body tell me how long to ride for. Position and fit are very important when you have issues with your body.

Position and fit as a priority should not be looked as remedial but as preventative. Ride correctly, fit & position-wise, and never get into the the circumstance where your back was ever put at risk in riding a drop bar sporting bicycle. Perhaps too late as advice for the OP but there are other readers of this forum that might still benefit from hearing this.

Stay focused and don't try to do too much too fast. Once you feel like you can push yourself then slowly start doing so.

Mostly agree but the nuance is if riding requires overt and strenuous action on the back to ride then the rider contact point geometry alignments and the bike fit & position are suspect. Road cycling is legs, heart and lungs and mostly everything else is relaxed and just comin' along for the ride.

To the OP, welcome back to two wheels and enjoy the ride.

Mzilliox
06-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Congrats! ive been looking for ways to get the rod attached for my rides here soon too.:beer:

AngryScientist
06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Congrats! ive been looking for ways to get the rod attached for my rides here soon too.:beer:

i'm thinking the rod holder is the easy part. carrying the catch home would be a bit more of a challenge!

illuminaught
06-19-2017, 10:18 AM
After I shattered my pelvis, I set goals of high cadence and slowly ramped up my power while riding on the trainer... Took me a while to get comfortable on the road/trails again...
Do yoga and push yourself. You should know the point where the pain goes bad, but lower back injuries are going to hurt for everything (including exercises that are good for it...).
MD advice is biased to avoid the possibility of reinjury, which doesn't foster recovery.

Jimbo251
06-19-2017, 10:22 AM
I've been going thru lower L5 SI problems for a year.
Couple good points to focus on.
1) Don't stress!
2) Don't put yourself in a position that your not ready for; don't go out with your buddies who are stronger, have been riding, and want to do rides that are beyond your ability.
3) Ride by yourself and put no expectations on your ride.
4) You'll have setbacks, be patient and don't give up. when your back says I don't want to ride today, don't. When you have a good day enjoy the bike.
5) What others have said; stay hydrated and do stretching plus core work.
6) Realize that it'll take time, your not going to get your fitness back in a day or a month. Write the year off and just try for small but steady improvements.

I feel for you.
You'll get stronger!

julseas
06-19-2017, 01:22 PM
I've had L4/L5 - L5/S1 issues for over 10 years, and the things that help me the most are:
-stretching glutes/hamstrings
-foam rolling quads
-avoiding very climb-intensive days
-keeping my weight down
-and if you can swing it, sports massage can be really helpful to get into damaged tissue

rousseau
06-19-2017, 01:31 PM
worth a look:

https://books.google.com/books/content/images/frontcover/4ApHidQhZcgC?fife=w300-rw
Thanks for this recommendation. As a stiff, middle-aged desk jockey, I've been looking for a comprehensive stretching guide. Hopefully this will get me limber.

weisan
06-19-2017, 01:59 PM
don't worry about "performance", make it fun again.