PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about a smart phone

Ralph
05-17-2017, 03:48 PM
I guess it's time I got a smart phone. Give up my flip phone. So I can text easier. My kids won't answer phone calls hardly, or E mails.....but they answer a text immediately.

I'm 76, and I don't fight technology. Have an Android tablet I use a lot....admittedly mostly to read the paper every day or books from local library. Have a new Windows 10 laptop. Use that a lot....scan business things around, etc. Except for mornings, I'm always home, so hardly ever get a phone call or text. I go days without a call or text sometimes. Can read a text on my flip phone OK, but sending a reply a pain.

I don't get many phone calls. I don't get many text messages. With my flip phone, when wife calls and I'm on the bike, can just reach into back pocket, flip open the phone, and talk while riding (if I'm on the local trail). it's a free phone, so don't care if it gets wet, or I drop it, etc. It works.

My wife has a I Phone 6, and when we travel use her phone for texting, NAV, checking stock quotes, etc. Just don't want to spend what a new I phone costs.....and it' not really about the money....I just don't need it.

But....have noticed Sprint (our carrier) has some under $200 LG smart phones that look like they do every thing I need. (they look similar to an I Phone). Is there any reason why one of those would not be fine for me? I know most of you are "techies", and probably don't understand where I'm coming from, but some of you think like me I know. I'm also feel a little like I'm being forced to buy something I don't really need....cause this is how society is now. Maybe just get a Wallmart phone, and add minutes and data as I need it.

However....I still like how a flip phone works better than a smart phone.

EDS
05-17-2017, 03:53 PM
I guess it's time I got a smart phone. Give up my flip phone. So I can text easier. My kids won't answer phone calls hardly, or E mails.....but they answer a text immediately.

I'm 76, and I don't fight technology. Have an Android tablet I use a lot....admittedly mostly to read the paper every day or books from local library. Have a new Windows 10 laptop. Use that a lot....scan business things around, etc. Except for mornings, I'm always home, so hardly ever get a phone call or text. I go days without a call or text sometimes. Can read a text on my flip phone OK, but sending a reply a pain.

I don't get many phone calls. I don't get many text messages. With my flip phone, when wife calls and I'm on the bike, can just reach into back pocket, flip open the phone, and talk while riding (if I'm on the local trail). it's a free phone, so don't care if it gets wet, or I drop it, etc. It works.

My wife has a I Phone 6, and when we travel use her phone for texting, NAV, checking stock quotes, etc. Just don't want to spend what a new I phone costs.....and it' not really about the money....I just don't need it.

But....have noticed Sprint (our carrier) has some under $200 LG smart phones that look like they do every thing I need. (they look similar to an I Phone). Is there any reason why one of those would not be fine for me? I know most of you are "techies", and probably don't understand where I'm coming from, but some of you think like me I know. I'm also feel a little like I'm being forced to buy something I don't really need....cause this is how society is now. Maybe just get a Wallmart phone, and add minutes and data as I need it.

If you are used to using your wife's iphone 6 just get the cheaper iphone SE.

jmoore
05-17-2017, 03:59 PM
If you are used to Android tablets then the learning curve on the phone will be shorter. There are a few Android models that are "active" which means they are waterproof and dust proof, etc. Mine is a Samsung S6 Active. Never a problem in almost 2 years. Riding, hunting, it goes everywhere.

For what you are doing, anything will be fine. You will pick up on how they work pretty quickly.

Another option is that your wife has Apple so if you stay in that family then it will make stuff like FaceTime and figuring out apps easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mistermo
05-17-2017, 03:59 PM

This isn't bad advice, but if you've already got an android tablet, then get an android phone. Everything will sync better. Also, I'm with you on the flip phones. From a purely phone perspective, I don't think smartphones are an improvement.

Ralph
05-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Yes....I don't have any issues using wife's 6. I'm not like some old people...who don't understand tech. I use it all the time....better than my wife actually. But it's her phone, not mine.

Mark McM
05-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Are the LG phones locked to Sprint, or connected to a contract? Personally, I will no longer get a locked phone, nor sign a cell carrier contract.

Most Android phones behave like smaller versions of Android tablets. For the most part, they use the apps, so you can share apps between your Android tablet and an Android phone.

For no-frills-but-decent-spec smart phones, you might want to look at the Motorolo Moto G line of phones. The Motorolo Moto G phones tend to use a more pure version of Android operating systems (no GUI skinning like LG and Samsung tend to do). The unlocked multi-carrier phones Moto G4 phone is about $180.

Ralph
05-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Yes....I get apps, and all that. Can connect phone to TV etc. I'm not necessarily tech challenged....like some old folks.....I'm just tired of the spending.

jmoore
05-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Inexpensive Android is the way to go then. Moto makes great phones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

aki
05-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Alternatively you can set up a Google voice account so that you can text from your pc or tablet.

Ralph
05-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Are the LG phones locked to Sprint, or connected to a contract? Personally, I will no longer get a locked phone, nor sign a cell carrier contract.

Most Android phones behave like smaller versions of Android tablets. For the most part, they use the apps, so you can share apps between your Android tablet and an Android phone.

For no-frills-but-decent-spec smart phones, you might want to look at the Motorolo Moto G line of phones. The Motorolo Moto G phones tend to use a more pure version of Android operating systems (no GUI skinning like LG and Samsung tend to do). The unlocked multi-carrier phones Moto G4 phone is about $180.

No contract...will buy the phone. Probably are Sprint only.

eddief
05-17-2017, 04:57 PM
does Android, you can buy them unlocked, and the camera is a killer. I almost never use mine for talk, but addicted to the google and the camera and texting.

for instance:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S6-Platinum-Sprint/dp/B00V7FWPVO/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1495058325&sr=1-5&refinements=p_n_condition-type%3A6503241011

choke
05-17-2017, 05:11 PM
I don't get many phone calls. I don't get many text messages.

Maybe just get a Wallmart phone, and add minutes and data as I need it.I would go the Tracfone route. IMO it's silly to pay a monthly fee for a phone if you don't use it much. I am the same as you, my phone doesn't get used often, and I switched to a Tracfone about 2 years ago. It works just fine and I saved about $200 a year.

If you don't like the phones that Tracfone offers you can also purchase one outright and use it with their service....obviously it has to be an approved model though.

rnhood
05-17-2017, 05:16 PM
I have an iPhone 6 and like it a lot. Since its a couple generations old now, the stores discount them. This the path that I recommend going, especially since your wife has one too.

If you have to have an android, then I recommend the something in the Moto G line as recommended above. You can pay a lot more, and get less a phone.

Mark McM
05-17-2017, 05:16 PM
The Samsung S6 is an excellent phone, but it misses one of the OPs important criterias: He doesn't want to pay extra for features he neither needs or wants. The Samsung S6 (unlocked) is north of $400, which is more than twice as much as other phones under consideration.

Fatty
05-17-2017, 05:21 PM
$80. Eighty bucks. My flip phone died early and I replaced it with this.
Couldn't be happier.

https://www.consumercellular.com/api/assets/ProductImages/Motorola-Moto-G4-Play-Black/Motorola-Moto-G4-Play-Black-Front.jpg?w=355

https://www.consumercellular.com/api/assets/ProductImages/Motorola-Moto-G4-Play-Black/Motorola-Moto-G4-Play-Black-Front.jpg?w=355

Climb01742
05-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Having one type of phone for both you and your wife would, I'd think, be the easiest answer. She could help with initial learning curve for you with an iPhone, then as you get up to speed, your greater comfort with tech could help her get more from her phone. My wife and I both have iPhones and our cross-learning, cross-tips, cross-discoveries make life easier.

Ralph
05-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Great ideas. Thanks

p nut
05-17-2017, 06:29 PM
I'll add onto the iPhone SE suggestion. I've had various iPhones since the 3G launch. I love the size of this one, as I can easily put it in my top tube bag, pocket, etc. It's "cheap" enough that I don't have to treat it like a $900 iPhone 7. Battery life is excellent, as well. That's one thing you have to be careful of with the cheaper smartphones. 3hr usage time can get annoying. Past iPhones had this issue (I remember getting 2-3 hours on my iPhone 4 and 5), but the latest gen's seem to be doing really well.

Ralph
12-20-2017, 02:03 PM
After listening to the advice on here, I decided to purchase a IPhone SE 32 GB from Consumer Cellular. $160 and unlocked if I want to take it somewhere else. It's a small phone, which I like, and does all I need it to do. Wife bought unlocked IPhone 6 ($200), and daughter Iphone 7 ($550) from them.

I know there are lots of cell phone plans out there, for folks with different uses and needs, but we are very satisfied with Consumer Cellular so far for where we live. 3 Iphones with unlimited text and talk with 3 G's data for $66/mo (after 5% AARP discount) which includes all taxes. Just got tired of expensive plans with leased phones and required insurance. No dropped calls yet.

Thanks again folks.

HenryA
12-20-2017, 02:16 PM
After listening to the advice on here, I decided to purchase a IPhone SE 32 GB from Consumer Cellular. $160 and unlocked if I want to take it somewhere else. It's a small phone, which I like, and does all I need it to do. Wife bought IPhone 6 ($200), and daughter Iphone 7 ($550) from them.

I know there are lots of cell phone plans out there, for folks with different uses and needs, but we are very satisfied with Consumer Cellular so far for where we live. 3 Iphones with unlimited text and talk with 3 G's data for $66/mo (after 5% AARP discount) which includes all taxes. Just got tired of expensive plans with leased phones and required insurance. No dropped calls yet.

Thanks again folks.

Perfect!

Your new phone should suit your needs for some time to come. I think phones are nearly as developed as the triangle frame bicycle. (although on a much shorter time frame) The makers keep coming out with new features/colors/bling but the old ones still work just fine for most folks.