PDA

View Full Version : Litespeed T5g disc/fork clearance...

TEMPLE
05-17-2017, 02:57 PM
...this one will appeal to the people who hate disc brakes!

So, I have run into an interesting problem that I hope some of you can help solve. I've got a 2015 Litespeed T5g (great bike, love it) and up until recently, I was using a Whiskey fork instead of the Litespeed fork that came with the bike. A few days ago I decided to swap the forks so I could put some big meats on the bike and get it off the pavement. However, the spider of the brake rotor rubs the post mount on the Litespeed fork. There's a tiny amount of clearance until I tighten the thru-axle, and once it's tight, it's gone. The contact is fairly minimal, but it's definitely audible and I can feel resistance.

All I could think of trying was to switch the end caps on the hub, and to try a smaller rotor (140mm instead of 160mm). Predictably, neither worked. My next thought would be to find rotors that are thinner or inset a little more. All I need is a millimetre! Would switching to a centrelock hub give the rotor more clearance? Different wheels entirely? I am not opposed to spending money (I need the retail therapy anyhow) but I am really attached to Mavic wheels.

A few details about my setup:
Mavic All Road wheels
Avid BB7 cable brakes
Avid rotors, 6 bolt, either 140mm or 160mm
Stock Litespeed T5g fork, 100mm thru-axle

I have emailed Mavic and Litespeed for help, but figured I would pick the brains here as well.

Thanks!

TEMPLE

ColonelJLloyd
05-17-2017, 03:02 PM
You're using the Avid 2-piece rotors?

Some of my recent dealing with clearance issues would lead me to believe that Shimano centerlock rotors would not give you more clearance and may actually be further outboard.

TEMPLE
05-17-2017, 05:15 PM
You're using the Avid 2-piece rotors?

Some of my recent dealing with clearance issues would lead me to believe that Shimano centerlock rotors would not give you more clearance and may actually be further outboard.

Just the regular kind. One piece?

Hrm, that's unlucky that the Shimano rotors aren't closer to the hub. What about the 6 bolt Shimano rotors? The two piece kind, I mean. Worth trying?

Ultimately, this all must be dependent on the hub, I suppose?