PDA

View Full Version : new material for building frames

bthornt
05-17-2017, 07:49 AM
This may be of interest to some members of the forum.

https://gearjunkie.com/dyneema-carbon-bike

Black Dog
05-17-2017, 08:17 AM
These fibres like Dyneema and Inegra, have been in use in the canoe world for several years. When laid up with carbon or kevlar they add a tremendous amount of impact resistance.

eddief
05-17-2017, 08:51 AM
https://www.dsm.com/products/dyneema/en_GB/about/stories/dyneema-powers-team-giant-alpecins-new-riders-shorts.html

Mark McM
05-17-2017, 09:37 AM
This may be of interest to some members of the forum.

https://gearjunkie.com/dyneema-carbon-bike

These hybrid composites don't add strength or stiffness to carbon fiber (they actually decrease strength and stiffness). What they do is reduce brittleness. In other words, under impact, these composites won't shatter into pieces - they'll stay in one piece, but they will still be damaged (bent and mangled).

I see these hybrid composites mostly being used in low to medium end bicycles, where a little extra weight can be traded for an increase in safety. I don't think they'll be used at the very high performance end.

wallymann
05-17-2017, 10:26 AM
spectra is a comparable fiber, and IIRC kestrel forks featured that fibre in their layup...and that's going way back!

doomridesout
05-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Note that "stiffness" is not one of the characteristics they cite as a benefit of Dyneema.

colbyh
05-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Note that "stiffness" is not one of the characteristics they cite as a benefit of Dyneema.

if the strength to weight ratio is higher than normal carbon layups then I see no reason why a higher, or at least comparable, level of stiffness wouldn't be possible.

Mark McM
05-17-2017, 12:35 PM
if the strength to weight ratio is higher than normal carbon layups then I see no reason why a higher, or at least comparable, level of stiffness wouldn't be possible.

Dyneema fibers have both a lower strength, and a lower stiffness than (most) carbon fibers. Replacing carbon fibers with an equal mass of Dyneema will result in a composite that has a resultant strength and stiffness that is smaller than if it was all carbon.

A carbon fiber/Dyneema composite is somewhat like laminated glass. Laminated glass is no stiffer or stronger than the glass alone, and may be slightly thicker and heavier - but when laminated glass is struck with excessive force, it doesn't shatter into many sharp pieces, it stays together in one piece.

bicycletricycle
05-17-2017, 02:06 PM
I wonder if they would be be useful in mountain bikes, to keep the frame together longer in an incident, giving the driver a little more time to safely recover. sometimes I here about kevlar being used this way but I am not sure how well it works.

These hybrid composites don't add strength or stiffness to carbon fiber (they actually decrease strength and stiffness). What they do is reduce brittleness. In other words, under impact, these composites won't shatter into pieces - they'll stay in one piece, but they will still be damaged (bent and mangled).

I see these hybrid composites mostly being used in low to medium end bicycles, where a little extra weight can be traded for an increase in safety. I don't think they'll be used at the very high performance end.

eippo1
05-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Didn't Bianchi use one of these fibers in its Kvid frames in 2013 or so?

numbskull
05-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Dyneema fibers have both a lower strength, and a lower stiffness than (most) carbon fibers. Replacing carbon fibers with an equal mass of Dyneema will result in a composite..........

I just want to thank you for all that I learn from your informative posts. I'm sure I speak for many others as well.

tuscanyswe
05-17-2017, 06:15 PM
I just want to thank you for all that I learn from your informative posts. I'm sure I speak for many others as well.

You r, as i said b4 to

djg21
05-17-2017, 08:19 PM

Allied is using innegra in its frames. https://alliedcycleworks.com/materials-technology/. I've yet to ride one, but I've been looking at them.