PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2.5 days in Vancouver, BC - any recommendations for day hikes?

tylercheung
05-17-2017, 01:01 AM
So, we may be staying in Vancouver for a couple of days in June - we are looking to a few day hikes in addition to the supposedly famous Capilano bridge and park. Just figured to see if there were recommendations for short half-day (or maybe full day) hikes that were "must do/sees"? Am thinking of renting a car to check out Whistler vs. hanging around closer to the city itself...

m_sasso
05-17-2017, 04:13 AM
Forget the Capilano Suspension Bridge, it is just a tourist trap and money grab, go to Lynn Canyon Ecology Centre and Suspension Bridge, way genuine, more spectacular, free and you can swim with the fish!

Plenty of hikes out of the Lynn Canyon Centre also, or the Grouse Grind/hike, Cleveland Dam and Park for some spectacular views of the city and area.

Take the car or your bikes and visit the Triple Crowns, Mount Seymour, Grouse Mountain and Cypress Mountain in one day for some amazing views and hikes, stop in Edgemont Village for ice cream, the Salmon House or the Beachhouse Restaurant in West Vancouver for dinner!

Go to the UBC Museum of Anthropology, one of the very best in the world and you won't be sorry, Nitobe Memorial Garden, UBC wonderful and some what economical place for accommodations also.

Go to Squamish Chief/hike, the Lions/hike and Horseshoe Bay, Lighthouse Park, Whytecliff Park.

Go to SFU, architectural wonder, remember the SF movie The Groundstar Conspiracy filmed there, Burnaby Mountain Park, hike the Burnaby Mountain Conservation Area, Harry Jerome Burnaby Mountain Velodrome, Barnet Marine Park.

Hike to the Quarry Rock in Deep Cove, or Jug Island in Belcarra.

Go to the Richmond Olympic Oval and ROX, Garry Point Park, Steveston Fisherman’s Wharf and Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site, I got you covered with National Park free pass, Crescent Beach, White Rock Beach.

So many choices, rent some bikes and go to Granville Island and Market, Chinatown, Gastown, Stanley Park and walk/hike or ride the Lions Gate Bridge over West Vancouver Ambleside Park.

Walk Coal Harbor, Spanish Banks or West Vancouver water front, ride the Sea Bus to North Vancouver and visit Lonsdale Quay Market.

Tell me a little bit more about what you really want to do, who you are bringing/children, hiking ability, what area of Vancouver you are staying in and I will provide you with plenty more local suggestions that shouldn't be missed.

So much to see and do around Vancouver, be warned, you will wish you were staying longer, came here in 1979 to go to school from Michigan and never felt the desire to leave again.

paredown
05-17-2017, 06:18 AM
Forget the Capilano Suspension Bridge it is just a tourist trap and money grab, go to Lynn Canyon Ecology Centre and Suspension Bridge better, just as spectacular, free and you can swim with the fish!

Plenty of hikes out of the Lynn Canyon Centre also, or the Grouse Grind/hike, Cleveland Dam and Park for some spectacular views of the city and area.

Take the car or your bikes and visit the Triple Crowns, Mount Seymour, Grouse Mountain and Cypress Mountain in one day for some amazing views and hikes, stop in Edgemont Village for ice cream!

Go to the UBC Museum of Anthropology, one of the very best in the world and you won't be sorry, wonderful, some what economical place for accommodations also, go to Granville Island and Market.

Go to Squamish Chief/hike, the Lions/hike and Horseshoe Bay, Lighthouse Park, Whytecliff Park.

Go to SFU, remember the movie The Groundstar Conspiracy filmed there, Burnaby Mountain Park, hike the Burnaby Mountain Conservation Area, Harry Jerome Burnaby Mountain Velodrome, Barnet Marine Park.

Go to the Richmond Olympic Oval and ROX, Garry Point Park, Steveston Fisherman’s Wharf and Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site, I got you covered with National Park free pass, Crescent Beach, White Rock Beach.

So many choices, rent some bikes and go to Chinatown, Gastown, Stanley Park and walk/hike or ride the Lions Gate Bridge over West Vancouver Ambleside Park.

Tell me a little bit more about what you really want to do, who you are bringing/children, hiking ability, what area of Vancouver you are staying in and I will provide you with plenty more local suggestions that shouldn't be missed.

So much to see and do around Vancouver, be warned, you will wish you were staying longer, came here in 1979 to go to school from Michigan and never felt the desire to leave again.
Excellent list! Born and bred Vancouverite--all I would add would be-

-Any of those day hikes would be great--my favorite was Eagle Bluffs/Black Mountain-- (starts just above Horseshoe Bay) and takes you up the back side of Cypress Bowl--or you can just drive up the ski area parking lot and hike to the same spot and cut out a couple of thousand feet of climbing. If you feel ambitious on your bike the ride up Cypress (or up Grouse) is a true challenge.
http://www.clubtread.com/routes/Route.aspx?Route=246
Or a better listing here: http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Black-Mountain-Eagle-Ridge-E-Cypress-Provincial-Park-near-Vancouver-BC-13

-if you are out at UBC to see the Museum of Anthropology (which is worth seeing for the building alone!), across the street is the Nitobe Gardens, one of the best classic Japanese Gardens outside Japan.

dgauthier
05-17-2017, 09:43 AM
(...) Am thinking of renting a car to check out Whistler vs. hanging around closer to the city itself...

Your stay is quite short, but if at all possible, take the train to Whistler. The scenery along the way is not to be missed.

geordanh
05-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Forget the Capilano Suspension Bridge, it is just a tourist trap and money grab, go to Lynn Canyon Ecology Centre and Suspension Bridge, way genuine, more spectacular, free and you can swim with the fish!

Take the car or your bikes and visit the Triple Crowns, Mount Seymour, Grouse Mountain and Cypress Mountain in one day for some amazing views and hikes, stop in Edgemont Village for ice cream, the Salmon House or the Beachhouse Restaurant in West Vancouver for dinner!

Go to the UBC Museum of Anthropology, one of the very best in the world and you won't be sorry, Nitobe Memorial Garden, UBC wonderful and some what economical place for accommodations also.

Go to SFU, architectural wonder, remember the SF movie The Groundstar Conspiracy filmed there, Burnaby Mountain Park, hike the Burnaby Mountain Conservation Area, Harry Jerome Burnaby Mountain Velodrome, Barnet Marine Park.

So many choices, rent some bikes and go to Granville Island and Market, Chinatown, Gastown, Stanley Park and walk/hike or ride the Lions Gate Bridge over West Vancouver Ambleside Park.

Walk Coal Harbor, Spanish Banks or West Vancouver water front, ride the Sea Bus to North Vancouver and visit Lonsdale Quay Market.

This list is perfect. Planning to do any riding? Once you get away from the traffic, there are some spectacular rides.

Polyglot
05-18-2017, 12:51 AM

I agree with everything except the part about Simon Fraser University. I took my daughter there for a university visit when she was choosing where to study and the visit was among the most depressing days that any of us has ever spent in the greater Vancouver area.

Lynn Valley is definitely the place to go, avoid Capilano like the plague.

45K10
05-18-2017, 06:01 AM
I lived in Vancouver a few years back and M Sasso nailed the places to go for a hike. I do agree with Polygot though, the Simon Fraser campus looks like set for a 70's Soviet movie. The MTBing is good around there though.

Now if you want to start an interesting discussion ask which noodle house you should go to when your in town.

Have a good trip!

Jexbrah
05-18-2017, 02:56 PM
This list is perfect. Planning to do any riding? Once you get away from the traffic, there are some spectacular rides.

Not to hijack the tread, but curious which rides you recommend?

tylercheung
05-18-2017, 10:55 PM
I lived in Vancouver a few years back and M Sasso nailed the places to go for a hike. I do agree with Polygot though, the Simon Fraser campus looks like set for a 70's Soviet movie. The MTBing is good around there though.

Now if you want to start an interesting discussion ask which noodle house you should go to when your in town.

Have a good trip!

Hm, OK, I'll bite - which noodle houses are good? :)

Thanks for the recs - we'll look through these!

warren128
05-19-2017, 02:12 AM
My wife and I just came back from Vancouver, and I just wanted to say that yes, we were tourists, but I didn't feel particularly "trapped" at the Capilano Park. It was a very convenient trip to the park via the free shuttle bus from Canada Place (or various hotels), and we willingly paid the entry fee. The park was great, we thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, YMMV depending on how jaded you are. :)

m_sasso
05-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Hm, OK, I'll bite - which noodle houses are good? :)

Thanks for the recs - we'll look through these!

That all depends, do you want Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Thai or Italian noodles?

Epicus07
05-19-2017, 04:04 PM
We are staying at Paradise Valley Campground in North Squamish over memorial day weekend.

I'm primarily interested in mountain biking but would consider doing a day hike (Lion?).

Can you guys recommend any awesome trails in Squamish?

I love fast and flowy trails that aren't super steep or require big drops. I normally ride greens and blues.

My wife would love a scenic cross country that isn't too technical. I'd love to find a fun ride that would get her more into mountain biking.

m_sasso
05-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Take the vehicle or hitch a ride up to Whistler and ride the Sea to Sky trail back to Squamish. http://www.trailsbc.ca/tct/lower-mainland/squamish-whistler