PDA

View Full Version : Athens, GA

katematt
05-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Headed down for NCAA Tennis tourney @ UGA this week and looks like I'll have some down time between matches. Thoughts on the following appreciated.

Bike shop (rental)
Routes, or place to find them, hills (?)
Saloon/brewery (craft beer selection most important)
Restaurants
Anything else you can think of.

Cheers.

jruhlen1980
05-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Check out Independent Baking Co. Owner is a cyclist who used to be from my hometown and started one of the better bakery/restaurants in town, moved to Athens a few years ago and started that place.

KJMUNC
05-16-2017, 01:34 PM
ooooh, so jealous of your trip! I spent my undergrad there and argue that it's one of, if not the best college town in America.

Lots of options around town for all your questions, so here goes:

Bike shops/rentals: check The Hub, Sunshine Cyclery, and Georgia Cycle Sport. Not sure who has rentals or not but they're all good shops.

Routes: check with the shops, but there are plenty of long mileage loops and good country hills. In the winter there's a group called the Winter Bike League (WBL) made up of local/domestic pros who routinely go out for very challenging 80-100mi+ loops out of town. Georgia Cycle Sport sponsors the UGA club team so they should have the scoop on rides if others don't.

Saloons: so many great ones to choose from. Local breweries are Terrapin (the hometown, old school favorite), Creature Comforts, and Copper Creek. As for great pubs: Trappeze has the biggest selection, but the Globe is the old standby (or where grad students and professors drink non-macro beer). Allgood is another good spot downtown...as is South Kitchen.

Restaurants: There are really three areas to consider: downtown, Prince St., and Five Points.
Downtown: The Last Resort, the National, The World Famous, and Ted's Most Best....many more
Prince: The Grit/Bottleworks, and Big City Bread Café (incredible breakfast!)
Five Points: The Royal Peasant, The Pine, Five and Ten

Other: Go see a concert at Georgia Theatre....it's an institution. Check out who's playing at The Classic Center and/or 40 Watt....you never know who's in town. Walk through North Campus.....it's the oldest chartered public university in the US and is a beautiful campus. Go find "the tree that owns itself"...about 0.5mi west of campus. Check out the art museum on south campus....incredible collection. If you like football, go to the Butts-Mehre facility and see the UGA football museum.

All of the spots above are mid/higher end range. If you just want hole-in-the-wall or hipster spots check out The Roadhouse, Nowhere Bar, or Little King's Shuffle Club.

So much to do....you'll have a great time no matter where you pick!

katematt
05-16-2017, 03:44 PM
^ That about covers it. I owe you a beer/s

Many thanks!

ColonelJLloyd
05-16-2017, 03:47 PM
You could replenish your carbs/protein at Weaver D's.

KJMUNC
05-16-2017, 04:29 PM
You could replenish your carbs/protein at Weaver D's.

Yep, I almost listed that as well but forgot!!

And also while you're there.....look up at the sign and realize that R.E.M. named an album after it.....

chismog
05-16-2017, 04:40 PM
A bunch of places (including the original at Manhattan Bar) do a cocktail with a really spicy Blenheim's ginger ale + Maker's Mark with a slice of lemon. It's great!

joosttx
05-16-2017, 09:11 PM
A bunch of places (including the original at Manhattan Bar) do a cocktail with a really spicy Blenheim's ginger ale + Maker's Mark with a slice of lemon. It's great!

Beat me to it. Hot ginger Markers at the Manhattan Club. The Manhattan Club was my favorite bar when I was in grad school there. Weaver D's. Pollo Loco or whatever they changed their name to is a great place with great food too.

Clocked has great burgers

taz-t
05-16-2017, 11:04 PM
two words: Taco Stand

joosttx
05-16-2017, 11:53 PM
two words: Taco Stand

Thats the name! Got to go here.

BSBD
05-17-2017, 01:07 AM
Taco Stand is good.
Check out Terrapin Brewery.
Also, check out Jittery Joes for coffee.

Heisenberg
05-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Beat me to it. Hot ginger Markers at the Manhattan Club. The Manhattan Club was my favorite bar when I was in grad school there. Weaver D's. Pollo Loco or whatever they changed their name to is a great place with great food too.

Clocked has great burgers

Manhattan Club, ****yeah. Was my go-to when I was busted up between Speedweek and USPRO.

katematt
05-31-2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks for all the input.

What a great town, and bike friendly too.

Rented a bike from the Hub and got in a few rides between the tennis matches. Gotta say, either its due to the fact that there are absolutely no bike lanes outside of town and/or the folks down there are very friendly, but I have never experienced more gracious drivers. After the first person slowed down before it was safe to pass be I was surprised, but after at least 30 over 3 rides I was dumbfounded. Rolling beautiful country riding down there.

Thanks for all the restaurant tips, the were used and enjoyed. Oh and finding a good beer and a place to drink it is definitely not hard in Athens.

Cheers.