PDA

View Full Version : Air Caddy bike shipping?

David Kirk
05-15-2017, 04:08 PM
I wonder if anyone here has used the triangular "slice of cake" shaped Air Caddy bike shipping boxes and if so what do you think?

dave

weisan
05-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Dave pal, here's my take.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1718707&postcount=20

tiretrax
05-15-2017, 04:44 PM
They look great, but a lot depends on the monkeys that handle it. I'm fairly certain JMoore had one abused by FedEx, damaging his Bedford to the point that it had to be repainted.

zank
05-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Dave, I use them on my builds now. Happy to answer any questions on or off line. In short, the only downside is needing a large vehicle to transport it to the shipper if I can't get a pickup arranged. Other than that, I love them.

zmudshark
05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Bikeflights has it's pricing in their dropdown menu. It costs considerably more.

Jmoores problem was that the mail store people opened the box, and rearranged it.

I was there when it was packed. He had a number of witnesses. It wasn't the box, the box is great.

FWIW, the best box I ever used was an old Trek Madone box. It had straps to hold the frame/fork down, and pads for the wheels.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/U6dTpUABz8_V3Mj3imtnOwegdkbF95G0cS1MAUblo2QYr2Y3pj lw7ys-KnwIh4Fcxh2V_DDNnVySNQ=w293-h220

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jGK80w_0FmRtuZXmfAAPiJMUuDH0oS1EUMDX8ceYV4oTifM1UP nEJkdHbj-hq0hsvjEmb7_N0xV6g=w293-h220

David Kirk
05-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I'm looking for a way to send bikes to trade shows or big rides with the minimum of hassle and packing/unpacking time. When you have just a short period of time on a Sunday evening after a 3 day trade show the idea of breaking down bikes so that they will fit into a standard bike box is very unappealing...been there and done that.

So I'm looking for a way to ship complete bikes with little hassle and assembly and without knowing anything about them I wonder how well this system worked.

What do you think Zanc? Would this be a good way to go for a trade show?

dave

weisan
05-15-2017, 06:02 PM
i'm looking for a way to ship complete bikes with little hassle and assembly...

The air caddy will do just that.

05-15-2017, 06:07 PM
Wish I had a picture of how my friend just shipped their bike... just took the handlebars off and stuffed into a cardboard bike box with nothing else, then put that box in another box. :p

dustyrider
05-15-2017, 06:10 PM
What kind of volume would be realistic?

Seems like a small shipping container could be outfitted pretty easily. Or even a panel van or mini-van.

I'm sure cost is a big factor, but if your time is as worth as much as mine, it could be worth it. You might be able to modify it into a small office of sorts once bikes are out. Of course, if you're bringing like 3 bikes, I'm way over thinking things again. I just know it doesn't seem to cost all that much to ship something as big as a car, when FedEx wants as much as they do for one bike, and you have to protect it from the holligans they hire to "handle" packages.

David Kirk
05-15-2017, 06:31 PM
This is more than anyone asked for but here goes.......when one ships a crate to a trade show it needs to get shipped to the "advance warehouse" where it sits for a day or week waiting for the show to open for set up. Once it can be moved over the crate is moved from the warehouse to the loading dock for a fee. It then lands on the loading dock and needs to be moved from there to your booth. This is called "drayage" and typically runs $400 - $500...each way. That's not a typo.

So by the time I ship a crate with bikes to a show I'll pay about $1200 - $1500 for the shipping of the crate each way, and then pay for it to be moved from the warehouse to the loading dock (typically about $100) and then pay $400 drayage each way. So just to get a crate with three bikes to my trade show booth it can cost $3600+. Add my airfare and lodging to the mix and pretty soon you are talking real money.

So I'm thinking about the Air Caddy thing to get to a trade show or two on the east coast. It would cost me about $100 for the (reusable) box and $400 to get it to/from the the show for a total of about $500 per bike. Contrast this to the $1200 per bike I shipped in a crate and the numbers look pretty good. Still big but not nearly as big.

And these are trade shows that there is no way I would drive to. The drive from Bozeman to the east coast is pushing 45 hours and life is too short to sign up for that stuff in the middle of winter.

dave

William
05-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Dave, this might be a little outside the box ( :) ), but have you ever checked into plastic reusable bulkPak containers? I took pictures of this a while back at a friends shop because I thought it was pretty smart. I could see this as being a very viable way to ship multiple bikes to trade shows and it would keep things very well protected. Can handle a lot of weight in and on top. Go together like a puzzle for easy packing and take down and are reusable.

http://www.orbiscorporation.com/products/bulk-containers#.WRo5H1I-Ind

William

William
05-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Scratch that. I see your reply above mine.

William

William
05-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Just curious, can you ship to an outside address and roll them in yourself, or do you "have" to use the drayage service to bring items to your booth?

William

weisan
05-15-2017, 06:50 PM
This is more than anyone asked for but here goes.......when one ships a crate to a trade show it needs to get shipped to the "advance warehouse" where it sits for a day or week waiting for the show to open for set up. Once it can be moved over the crate is moved from the warehouse to the loading dock for a fee. It then lands on the loading dock and needs to be moved from there to your booth. This is called "drayage" and typically runs $400 - $500...each way. That's not a typo.

So by the time I ship a crate with bikes to a show I'll pay about $1200 - $1500 for the shipping of the crate each way, and then pay for it to be moved from the warehouse to the loading dock (typically about $100) and then pay $400 drayage each way. So just to get a crate with three bikes to my trade show booth it can cost $3600+. Add my airfare and lodging to the mix and pretty soon you are talking real money.

So I'm thinking about the Air Caddy thing to get to a trade show or two on the east coast. It would cost me about $100 for the (reusable) box and $400 to get it to/from the the show for a total of about $500 per bike. Contrast this to the $1200 per bike I shipped in a crate and the numbers look pretty good. Still big but not nearly as big.

And these are trade shows that there is no way I would drive to. The drive from Bozeman to the east coast is pushing 45 hours and life is too short to sign up for that stuff in the middle of winter.

dave

dave pal, looking at the numbers and the challenges you described, there might be a business partnership opportunity between the show organizer or a framebuilders coalition with a local bike shop(s) that is willing to handle the logistics including the build and the last-leg transport to the trade show location.

I have flown three international flights with Air Caddy. Not a scratch. The box is beaten up a bit, but can do at least another trip or two. They also sell replacement box minus the hardware, cheaper.

David Kirk
05-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Just curious, can you ship to an outside address and roll them in yourself, or do you "have" to use the drayage service to bring items to your booth?

William

You hit on the key thing here. Most hotels will allow you to ship a bike to the hotel a day or two before you arrive and since it shipped by Fed Ex you can plan with reasonable accuracy when it will arrive (not at all true with a crate and over the road shipping). So ship the bikes to the hotel, drag them up to the room, do the basic assembly, and roll them into the show. At the end reverse it and have prearranged Fed Ex tags made up and then get on the plane and come home.

dave

jmoore
05-15-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm a fan of the Air Caddy. The guy who runs it was instrumental in getting my claim through FedEx and paid. If for no other reason than that, it's worth it to me.

The AirCaddy box is great and is easy to use. Just hope the shipper doesn't open it. A-holes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

weisan
05-15-2017, 06:58 PM
From the other thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204953)....

http://www.thevanillaworkshop.com/opendisbox

weisan
05-15-2017, 07:20 PM
So I'm thinking about the Air Caddy thing to get to a trade show or two on the east coast. It would cost me about $100 for the (reusable) box and $400 to get it to/from the the show for a total of about $500 per bike.

I just went and checked on Bikeflights.com - shipping from coast to coast using AirCaddy, 4-day ground service $115.

dustyrider
05-15-2017, 07:44 PM
They get you on the way in and they get you on the way out! Sounds like the individual boxes and the hotel, with beer in the sink full of ice, might be the best way to go.

David Kirk
05-15-2017, 08:03 PM
They get you on the way in and they get you on the way out! Sounds like the individual boxes and the hotel, with beer in the sink full of ice, might be the best way to go.

Don't forget the pizza. Pizza on Sunday night is a staple.

dave

e-RICHIE
05-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Last week I used my first ever Air Caddy to ship a bicycle to a show in Michigan. Despite what they (!) say, I'd be wary of any frame size over 58cm c-t. I had a 59cm c-t bicycle in it and the seat lug area with the minimal of protection hit the top of the carton. I decided the only safe bet was to install a throwaway seat post in it and wrap this part to death such that the carton popped up a tad in that area. A good bicycle box from the LBS might be just as good or better, without the boutique expense.

weisan
05-15-2017, 09:04 PM
http://alicehui.com/bike/misc/caddy.jpg

https://www.shipbikes.com/images/AirCaddy_inst.pdf

sales guy
05-15-2017, 09:31 PM
Dave,

thats what Allied used to bring their bikes to NAHBS this year. They had them all stacked in a Sprinter and it seemed to work well for them. They looked huge the van tho. Like no room for anything else.

Rob1519
05-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Bikeflights LA to NY $51.00 in a Thule hard case. Cost of the case is about $350.00, but it seems like the case would pay for itself after a few trips.

I just went and checked on Bikeflights.com - shipping from coast to coast using AirCaddy, 4-day ground service $115.

jmoore
05-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Last week I used my first ever Air Caddy to ship a bicycle to a show in Michigan. Despite what they (!) say, I'd be wary of any frame size over 58cm c-t. I had a 59cm c-t bicycle in it and the seat lug area with the minimal of protection hit the top of the carton. I decided the only safe bet was to install a throwaway seat post in it and wrap this part to death such that the carton popped up a tad in that area. A good bicycle box from the LBS might be just as good or better, without the boutique expense.
I put my 64cm in the AirCaddy but you have to pull the rear wheel and strap it to the side. Also wrapping the chainring in foam tube helps protect it. But it's tight.

e-RICHIE
05-16-2017, 09:00 AM
I put my 64cm in the AirCaddy but you have to pull the rear wheel and strap it to the side. Also wrapping the chainring in foam tube helps protect it. But it's tight.

Disassembling the rear wheel, and then deciding to dangle the chain or even remove it - these would be a deal breaker for me. The boxes are spendy, and it takes a good while to construct them. If I can't "just" take the front wheel off and deposit the bicycle within, I'd opt for industry supplied bicycle boxes. Uline makes them. Others do. Or you can have them fabbed by a corrugated company. I use Champlin-Packrite in Hartford for mine.

sitzmark
05-16-2017, 09:05 AM

dave

Very much a union thing - depends on the convention city, the convention venue, and the size/number of items hand-carried into the convention center. If the floor manager at a large expo center notices what he/she believes is an attempt to do an "end-around" the contracted floor labor, an automatic charge can be billed to your booth space, or your larger booth logistics can suffer - like getting support during the show or timely delivery of crates to pack up afterward. Again, really depends ... if your booth is a 10x10 "pop-up" and a rented table or two, much of what you do will be overlooked.

If you have an island presence with major structures, not a bad idea to negotiate something with the services staff assigned to your booth space to let them know the bikes coming through the front door is for convenience. Will also help if you need to store the Air Caddies/boxes during the show and get them back in a timely manner so you can pack and go. If shipped to a hotel and assembled there, rolling the bikes in through the front door of the convention hall will be less of an issue than carting large boxes through the door.

jmoore
05-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Disassembling the rear wheel, and then deciding to dangle the chain or even remove it - these would be a deal breaker for me. The boxes are spendy, and it takes a good while to construct them. If I can't "just" take the front wheel off and deposit the bicycle within, I'd opt for industry supplied bicycle boxes. Uline makes them. Others do. Or you can have them fabbed by a corrugated company. I use Champlin-Packrite in Hartford for mine.
I use one of those plastic chain tensioner that attach to the dropout. It seems to work fine. And slotting the rear wheel in is easy enough.

But to each their own. There are plenty of ways to ship and I only ship one bike back and forth a few times a year.

David Kirk
05-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Very much a union thing - depends on the convention city, the convention venue, and the size/number of items hand-carried into the convention center. If the floor manager at a large expo center notices what he/she believes is an attempt to do an "end-around" the contracted floor labor, an automatic charge can be billed to your booth space, or your larger booth logistics can suffer - like getting support during the show or timely delivery of crates to pack up afterward. Again, really depends ... if your booth is a 10x10 "pop-up" and a rented table or two, much of what you do will be overlooked.

If you have an island presence with major structures, not a bad idea to negotiate something with the services staff assigned to your booth space to let them know the bikes coming through the front door is for convenience. Will also help if you need to store the Air Caddies/boxes during the show and get them back in a timely manner so you can pack and go. If shipped to a hotel and assembled there, rolling the bikes in through the front door of the convention hall will be less of an issue than carting large boxes through the door.

I once had a guy ask me to prove I wasn't a hired help (non union) brought in by a company. Hoes does one prove that? They followed me to my booth and I showed them my driver's license to show my name is the same as the company name and this seemed to ease their minds. But they still stood right outside my booth waiting for me to make a mistake and have all my hired help come in with carts full of stuff. There was some talk that I'd need to pay to be allowed to carry my own stuff in and I told them I'd call the cops and then they left.

Nice that they were so helpful.

dave

GregL
05-16-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm certainly not anti-union, but in the case of trade shows/expositions the union labor borders on extortion. The ridiculous charges are nothing but a barrier to entry for small businesses. $50 to vacuum the carpet for 5 minutes? $100 electrician fee to plug in an extension cord? The list goes on and on...

Greg

sitzmark
05-16-2017, 11:16 AM
I once had a guy ask me to prove I wasn't a hired help (non union) brought in by a company. Hoes does one prove that? They followed me to my booth and I showed them my driver's license to show my name is the same as the company name and this seemed to ease their minds. But they still stood right outside my booth waiting for me to make a mistake and have all my hired help come in with carts full of stuff. There was some talk that I'd need to pay to be allowed to carry my own stuff in and I told them I'd call the cops and then they left.

dave

It is a "dance". 30 years of medical trade shows under my belt with (very) large and small companies. Permanent employees of a company can now perform most set up activities without running into state laws and union agreements. Third party contractor's not permanently employed by a company - not so much. The large convention venues (Moscone, McCormick, etc) have exhibitor bills of rights that are good to flip through at least once. Smaller venue convention facilities connected with hotels are generally easier to navigate ... or not if someone wants to be a %&#*.

Kinda developed a "feel" over the years for what works in my best interest and what doesn't.

sales guy
05-16-2017, 12:01 PM

dave

dave

Dave,

I get it. I couldn't justify the costs to ship everything out to Interbike last year and NAHBS this year. My wife keeps insisting it's cheaper and I am like HELL NO!

My displays are solid wood plus 4 metal legs for each, lighting, extension cords, signage and everything, it costs a literal fortune!

Then, they charge you for storage for the crate you ship things in. You forgot that cost in your post.

Last year at Interbike I had a similar issue with the union guys. Oh, and don't forget, they yell at you for using the elevator, but yell at you for using the stairs and carrying everything in yourself. The entire thing makes zero sense. They got pissy about my working on my own booth. They wanted to charge me for fixing their own screw-ups! I told them I didn't want certain things in the booth. They put them in there. I asked them to remove them and they were going to bill me. Pretty messed up. I had one woman screaming at me cause the bike I was carrying in got within 4 feet of her while she was taping the carpet down. They are insane there.

I still find driving the easiest. Less chance of a problem with the bikes, displays or anything else. I can take my time and see the sights too. I know it's a drive and a half at times. Vegas is 30 hours for me. Not quite as far as you but I still think driving is the way to go.

David Kirk
05-16-2017, 12:10 PM

dave

dave

Dave,

I get it. I couldn't justify the costs to ship everything out to Interbike last year and NAHBS this year. My wife keeps insisting it's cheaper and I am like HELL NO!

My displays are solid wood plus 4 metal legs for each, lighting, extension cords, signage and everything, it costs a literal fortune!

Then, they charge you for storage for the crate you ship things in. You forgot that cost in your post.

Last year at Interbike I had a similar issue with the union guys. Oh, and don't forget, they yell at you for using the elevator, but yell at you for using the stairs and carrying everything in yourself. The entire thing makes zero sense. They got pissy about my working on my own booth. They wanted to charge me for fixing their own screw-ups! I told them I didn't want certain things in the booth. They put them in there. I asked them to remove them and they were going to bill me. Pretty messed up. I had one woman screaming at me cause the bike I was carrying in got within 4 feet of her while she was taping the carpet down. They are insane there.

I still find driving the easiest. Less chance of a problem with the bikes, displays or anything else. I can take my time and see the sights too. I know it's a drive and a half at times. Vegas is 30 hours for me. Not quite as far as you but I still think driving is the way to go.

I hear you.

As for the drive - I am the entire company and if I'm not standing the bench I'm not bringing in any money....so to drive for 3-4 days each way adds up to more than a week I'm not at the bench. Due to the down time flying is the cheapest for me by far.

I had the same thing happen at Interbike 20 something years ago.....they put carpet down that we didn't order and electricity we didn't order and when we asked to have them removed they gave us a bill for removal.

The very idea of unions is a good thing in my book......no child labor, 8 hour works days, overtime...etc....all good things I think. But it has gone way too far to intimidate show exhibitors to shake them down for $100 to plug in the extension cord. That is criminal.

dave

sales guy
05-16-2017, 08:40 PM
I hear you.

As for the drive - I am the entire company and if I'm not standing the bench I'm not bringing in any money....so to drive for 3-4 days each way adds up to more than a week I'm not at the bench. Due to the down time flying is the cheapest for me by far.

I had the same thing happen at Interbike 20 something years ago.....they put carpet down that we didn't order and electricity we didn't order and when we asked to have them removed they gave us a bill for removal.

The very idea of unions is a good thing in my book......no child labor, 8 hour works days, overtime...etc....all good things I think. But it has gone way too far to intimidate show exhibitors to shake them down for $100 to plug in the extension cord. That is criminal.

dave

It is! It's disgusting what we get hit for. I wasn't overly pissed at NAHBS, but Interbike last year, $480 for 3 gallons of hot water and some tea bags!!!!

Not kidding.

I had a tea and biscuit service on Wednesday and that's what they charged. And it was for 2 hours! Fortunately the lady who was delivering it was super nice and gave me more water and more other things(tea bags, lemons, milk and such) than what I paid for. She felt bad and was super nice. Actually let me keep it longer too.

I get what you're saying about losing money and time for shows. Maybe you can get someone to drive things out and you fly out to save on time and money. I am terrified about things happening to the bikes. I mean, you get something there and it's trashed and there goes the show. I LOVE that the show is in Hartford next year. Sorry, i know it's a million miles away for you. But wonderfully close for me. Only 9 hours if I drive slow.

If you ship stuff out here and want me to drive it over, let me know. Happy to help.

But, your wins last year hopefully made up a little bit for the time off and all.

jmoore
05-16-2017, 08:44 PM
This thread is making me think twice about getting a table at NAHBS and/or Interbike next year. Sheesh.

Buzz Killington
05-16-2017, 09:52 PM
I'm assuming your talking about NAHBS in Hartford.....here's my suggestion even though you didn't ask for it. Ship the bikes to Savile Road or Blue Sky and fly into Albany. Pay them to have the bikes assembled and ready to go before you get there. Rent a minivan at airport, pick up the bikes and drive to Hartford. Then reverse at end of show. I assume you can walk the bikes into the show without the fees but I don't know. I apologize if my advice is lame.

sales guy
05-16-2017, 10:22 PM
I'm assuming your talking about NAHBS in Hartford.....here's my suggestion even though you didn't ask for it. Ship the bikes to Savile Road or Blue Sky and fly into Albany. Pay them to have the bikes assembled and ready to go before you get there. Rent a minivan at airport, pick up the bikes and drive to Hartford. Then reverse at end of show. I assume you can walk the bikes into the show without the fees but I don't know. I apologize if my advice is lame.

A solid idea. And yes, you can walk the bikes in. That's allowed. Interbike is much stricter regarding booths and set ups. NAHBS, not as bad. But a completely solid idea.

sales guy
05-16-2017, 10:25 PM
This thread is making me think twice about getting a table at NAHBS and/or Interbike next year. Sheesh.

It depends on what you are showcasing. Smaller things, not so bad. Bikes or larger booths you need built out, totally different.

Interbike is the bad one. NAHBS was fine at least for me anyways. But the costs do get outrageous.

jmoore
05-17-2017, 07:20 AM
It depends on what you are showcasing. Smaller things, not so bad. Bikes or larger booths you need built out, totally different.

Interbike is the bad one. NAHBS was fine at least for me anyways. But the costs do get outrageous.
It would be my gloves. The last show I did I had three small totes. I just setup everything on the supplied table and hung the banner.

sales guy
05-17-2017, 09:00 AM
It would be my gloves. The last show I did I had three small totes. I just setup everything on the supplied table and hung the banner.

well if you can cart it in on a small folding cart you're fine. But you won't have a supplied table at interbike unless you rent one. nahbs, you get a table with your booth.

I use a small folding cart to bring in a couple totes with display legs, lighting and electrical stuff in them. at interbike, they may yell at you to use the stairs. it was stupid, but i got told no, but people behind me were told yes for the elevators. and then at the end of show, same thing!

nahbs is really good. as long as you don't piggyback you're solid with Don. Interbike is a waste of money in my opinion. it's 2750 for a 10x10. and you don't get anything. and if you are new, they stick you in a ****ty area. and the show is getting smaller and smaller. I went last year cause of a new product launch. But I am thinking things like Campy Gran Fondo and NAHBS are better spent monies.

One thing I miss at NAHBS is the big book they used to have. Sadly it's gone.

jmoore
05-17-2017, 09:11 AM
well if you can cart it in on a small folding cart you're fine. But you won't have a supplied table at interbike unless you rent one. nahbs, you get a table with your booth.

I use a small folding cart to bring in a couple totes with display legs, lighting and electrical stuff in them. at interbike, they may yell at you to use the stairs. it was stupid, but i got told no, but people behind me were told yes for the elevators. and then at the end of show, same thing!

nahbs is really good. as long as you don't piggyback you're solid with Don. Interbike is a waste of money in my opinion. it's 2750 for a 10x10. and you don't get anything. and if you are new, they stick you in a ****ty area. and the show is getting smaller and smaller. I went last year cause of a new product launch. But I am thinking things like Campy Gran Fondo and NAHBS are better spent monies.

One thing I miss at NAHBS is the big book they used to have. Sadly it's gone.
You and I need to talk about the bike industry. Would you be willing to jump on a call sometime?

sales guy
05-17-2017, 12:24 PM
You and I need to talk about the bike industry. Would you be willing to jump on a call sometime?

Sure thing, when ever you want. I'll send you a PM.

SpokeValley
05-17-2017, 01:12 PM
I'm certainly not anti-union, but in the case of trade shows/expositions the union labor borders on extortion. The ridiculous charges are nothing but a barrier to entry for small businesses. $50 to vacuum the carpet for 5 minutes? $100 electrician fee to plug in an extension cord? The list goes on and on...

Greg

Ditto this. We do eight or so trade shows in my real job and the only thing missing is an eye patch, peg leg, a parrot on their shoulder, and answering every question with "Arrrrgh".

My favorite charge: a so-called "trash can" that's a corrugated box with an open top, about 12" x 12" x 24", with a can liner in it.

Last charge for that piece of technology (in Orlando): $35.

sales guy
05-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Ditto this. We do eight or so trade shows in my real job and the only thing missing is an eye patch, peg leg, a parrot on their shoulder, and answering every question with "Arrrrgh".

My favorite charge: a so-called "trash can" that's a corrugated box with an open top, about 12" x 12" x 24", with a can liner in it.

Last charge for that piece of technology (in Orlando): $35.

I love the booth cleaning fee(vacuuming) for $85.