Fat Robert
08-22-2006, 07:23 AM
ok

so what did you bros eat yesterday?

maybe we can help each other with some of our old guy habits

maybe dbrk, the wise bon viviant, can sort us all out

breakfast: 4 van's waffles. 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries

snack: clif builders bar

lunch 1: 2 oz pastrami, 1 oz swiss cheese, mustard, pickle, on a fresh rye bagel from the local place

lunch 2: 2 oz corned beef, 1 oz pepper cheese, mustard, pickle, on a fresh whole wheat bagel from the local place

snack: clif bar

snack -- pita with hummus

did a 1 hour recovery ride

dinner -- sandwich on the way back to school (4 oz roast beef, 1 oz swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle on rye bread)

protein shake before bed (boosts the ol GH without you doin the GH, yo)

this is about what I eat most days during the week...

92degrees
08-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Breakfast
3 egg omelette, cheese, ham; slice of ww toast with PB, fruit salad with yogurt

Snack
cheese

Lunch
salad with leftover chicken, leftover fruit salad

Snack
banana

Dinner
grilled pork, sweet potato, edamame, salad

Desert
fudgecicle

Snack
fruit, yogurt, nuts, cereal

Michael Maddox
08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Brunch:
2 sunflower-seed butter and fruit spread (Polaner blackberry) on sugar-free, whole-wheat bread

2 fat free Oscar Mayer hot-dogs (right outta the package)

Dinner:

chicken and vegetable fried rice (made it myself and not too sure of the portions--didn't eat it all myself, ya know): 1/2 breast of chicken (trimmed), 8 oz broccoli, 4 oz carrots, 4 oz celery, 4 oz shallots, sesame oil, fresh garlic and ginger, and a PILE of rice

4 Newman's Own chocolate-mint sandwich cookies

2 Coke Zeros

Water throughout the day

Awful, ain't it? :)

coylifut
08-22-2006, 08:41 AM
2 eggs
2 slices of toast
chicken sandwich
water melon
yogurt
power bar
cashews
giant burrito
german chocolate cake

it was a good day

pale scotsman
08-22-2006, 08:52 AM
I eat like crap.

Breakfast: Peanut Reeses energy bar, glass of OJ and 2 cups of coffee.

Lunch: Chorizo burrito smothered in salsa verde from the local Mexican joint and agua con limon. Dear Jesus, thank you.

Afternoon Snack: Raisins and water. Fish Oil caplet too.

Dinner: BBQ Meatballs, Chicken fried rice, Potato salad, chocolate cream pie and water.

slowgoing
08-22-2006, 09:18 AM
This thread is making me hungry.

Serpico
08-22-2006, 09:20 AM
breakfast: bowl of shredded wheat cereal with soy milk

lunch: grilled tuna steak and white jasmine rice

after ride snack: 3 fig newmans

dinner: bowl of miso soup/noodles

misc: 3 cans of Fresca, lots of water

wakeup in middle-of-night snack: 3 fig newmans

Samster
08-22-2006, 09:28 AM
breakfast: 2 eggs

lunch: salad w/ranch dressing, 6 or so oz. tilapia, a lump of wild rice, coke- 2 glasses.

dinner: grilled mackerel, don't know how much, salad w/ oil+vinegar.

no snacks, but tea and coffee throughout the day. water.

Birddog
08-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Breakfast: Eggos and Steakums with International Mocha Fench Vanilla Flavor instant coffee.

Snack:1/2 pkg Keebler Strawberry Cheesecake Sandies 12 oz Coke

Lunch: can of Vienna Sausages and some Chef Boy r Dee Raviolis 32 oz Mtn Dew

Snack: rest of the cookies, Reece's Nutgageous, and a Frappacino

Dinner: 2 Cans of Hormel beef Tamales smothered with Pace Salsa and melted cheese (the orangy stuff) a couple Corona's and some Black Forest Cheesecake for desert.

You are what you eat,
Birddog

Fat Robert
08-22-2006, 09:42 AM
man. you non-racers enjoy yourselves, yo

are we seeing any trends, either good or bad? how are we to define good and bad? let's not have this be just a list. discussion, yo.

92degrees
08-22-2006, 09:46 AM
lotta added sugar going down. that's my observation.

is this about you trying to lose weight?

Fat Robert
08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
lose significant weight? me? no way, jose.

in the age and food thread, some remarked that they were having to change their diet in reponse to their agin metabolism. i thought that if we took a look at what we eat, and also perhaps the timing of when we are eating different things (PRO/CHO/Fat) we might be able to raise the consciousness.

as for me, i'll be 160-162 during the september races (i need all the help i can get, to compensate for my crappy decision-making), then gain a couple of pounds back in the fall...6% body fat and winter don't mix for my oldish self.

92degrees
08-22-2006, 10:04 AM
lose significant weight? me? no way, jose.

in the age and food thread, some remarked that they were having to change their diet in reponse to their agin metabolism. i thought that if we took a look at what we eat, and also perhaps the timing of when we are eating different things (PRO/CHO/Fat) we might be able to raise the consciousness.

as for me, i'll be 160-162 during the september races (i need all the help i can get, to compensate for my crappy decision-making), then gain a couple of pounds back in the fall...6% body fat and winter don't mix for my oldish self.

got it. it's crazy cool that you can eat that many servings of grains and maintain. i envy :cool:

bcm119
08-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Breakfast: bowl of uncooked oats/handful of raisins/tablespoon of maple syrup/skim milk

snack: 1 cup black tea, 1 cinnamon raisin bagel, 1 banana, 1 powerbar

lunch: Amy's black bean burrito, cup of strawberry yogurt, handful of green grapes

snack: apple, handful of peanut/raisin/m&m stuff

dinner: stir fried veggie/tofu stuff with basmati rice, 1 beer (deschutes ipa)

Thats a typical weekday. My s.o. is vegetarian so dinners are usually stir frys or indian or pasta, but I will occasionally get a meat hankering and bring home some salmon or make a turkey sandwich for lunch.

Also, 1 beer often becomes 2.

Chad Engle
08-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Someone please enlighten me regarding it's benefits. I used to drink a little of it when the baby was having allergy issues with cow's milk.

Is it a flavor preference thing, an anti-eat-animals thing or is it healthier for you than skim?

92degrees
08-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Someone please enlighten me regarding it's benefits. I used to drink a little of it when the baby was having allergy issues with cow's milk.

Is it a flavor preference thing, an anti-eat-animals thing or is it healthier for you than skim?

No offense to anyone, but milk doesn't come from soybeans or rice. It comes from animals. Soy milk is scary stuff, ATMO.

Fat Robert
08-22-2006, 10:20 AM
dude

i milked a soybean once

took all day man

never doin that again

johnmdesigner
08-22-2006, 10:22 AM
My wife is a gourmet cook and so we eat pretty well at home. No prepared food - all made from scratch. I realize this is hard to do for most people but it's very important for your health.
Me, I'm eating:
Less meat (no potatoes or bread with meat, just vegetables)
Fresh fish (asian style or grilled with vegetables)
Fresh fruit and plain whole yogurt in the am
No snacks during day - light lunch (no take-out)
I really love good beer and wine and its really hard for me to cut back
If I'm really hungry I'll take soymilk and fresh fruit and dump it in the blender for a smoothy.
And this is what my lovely missus made for my post-recovery (60 mile) lunch :p

92degrees
08-22-2006, 10:25 AM
dude

i milked a soybean once

took all day man

never doin that again

imagine a grain of rice!

nick0137
08-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Perfectly timed thread. What with work, an injured elbow and holiday, I've had the best part of 6/7 weeks without any serius riding, let alone training or racing. So, as usual, I find myself heavier in August than I was in February. Surely that's the wrong way round? (Maybe I should move to Australia?)

So, serious milage and serious non-eating is the order of the day. Serious milage (at least 300 miles per week) i can do. Get the iPod stoked up and just ride your bike. The non-eating kills me.

So, yesterday was:

Breakfast - small bowl of muesli.

AM snack whilst riding - one energ bar and 2 small packs of raisins.

Lunch: salad with small amount of humous, rye biscuits, yoghurt covered brazil nuts.

PM snack at desk: a couple of rye biscuits.

Dinner: 2 sausages, 1/2 baked potato, cauliflower and broccoli with cheese sauce.

Loads of water to fill me up.....

Serpico
08-22-2006, 10:56 AM

I like the way it tastes with honey and shredded wheat cereal--simple as that

I used to drink skim milk, but I like the taste of a particular brand of soy milk (Trader Joes Organic*) better. Skim milk taste watery to me, and I'm not interested in drinking 2%. The soy milk I found* tastes good and has a nice consistency.

1centaur
08-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Reading this thread, I guess I have to start thanking the metabolism gods.

Breakfeast - A few ounces of yogurt, a couple of ounces of Go Lean Crunch, some dried cherries, a banana, and an apple, plus water.

Lunch: A fairly large salad: lettuce, an egg, corn, peas, 2 oz tuna, green peppers, olives, parmesan, olive oil. Plus water.

Snack total for the day: Luna bar, Cliff nectar bar (or 2), Cliff regular bar.

Dinner: Many ounces of whole grain cereal with dried cherries and maple syrup and skim milk; a peanut butter and honey sandwich (whole grain bread; natural PB), and a banana. Maybe another apple.

About 64 ounces of Dasani a day.

That's my workweek schedule, with 12 miles on the trainer every night.

Weekends, more carbs, longer rides, no salads.

Don't eat red meat, don't drink alcohol, currently don't eat within 2 hours of bedtime.

BMI is about 20-21, never have much problem with weight gain on this diet/exercise schedule. Have a desk job. 46 years old today.

If I had to eat the diets many of you do to stay thin, I'd be pretty unhappy.

yeehawfactor
08-22-2006, 08:22 PM
breakfast-3/4 cup oatmeal w/soy milk
spirutein protein/vitamin stuff

lunch-big burrito-not a great choice

1.5 hour ride

dinner-boca meatless chicken patty on one piece of bread
a cup of cheerios
some blueberries

i've been doing reasonably well eating late, though i do need to work on dividing these calories up over the course of the day. that burrito divided up over the course of the day as sandwhiches would have done well............

obtuse
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
protein shake before bed (boosts the ol GH without you doin the GH, yo)

this is about what I eat most days during the week...

you're eating a protein shake before bed to raise gh levels? you're screwed up bub. did you ask the shop teacher at the local high school to help you with your home made altitude tent too?

obtuse

p.s. the real trick is a nap right after you train.

manet
08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
I like the way it tastes with honey and shredded wheat cereal

sweet

obtuse
08-22-2006, 08:33 PM
No offense to anyone, but milk doesn't come from soybeans or rice. It comes from animals. Soy milk is scary stuff, ATMO.

or coconuts.

here's what i ate today: (this is not a joke.)

a cup of coffee

a bucket of chicken

three twenty ounce budweisers.

obtuse

manet
08-22-2006, 08:40 PM
or coconuts.

here's what i ate today: (this is not a joke.)

a cup of coffee

a bucket of chicken

three twenty ounce budweisers.

obtuse

All the while, Tarbelly stood in the door...

Fixed
08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
ride all the time
eat next to nothing
live like a monk

take drugs

cheers

aach
08-22-2006, 10:00 PM
breakfast:
big bowl oats w/ raisons,toast, peanut butter, oj w/ protein powder, water and 2 cups strong coffee.
snack:
banana, water
lunch:
1 corned beef sandwich w/ mustard and miricle whip(multigrain bread)
1 turkey sandwich w/ mustard, lettuce, 2 glasses of milk
snack: power bar and water
supper:
hamburger patty w/ bbq sauce, home grown potatoes w/ assiago cheese, salad w/ oil and vinegar dressing, whole grain toast w/ olive oil. milk and a PALE ALE!! (sometimes have a good glass of red wine instead of the ale)

see ya dude

Fat Robert
08-23-2006, 04:50 AM
you're eating a protein shake before bed to raise gh levels? you're screwed up bub. did you ask the shop teacher at the local high school to help you with your home made altitude tent too?

obtuse

p.s. the real trick is a nap right after you train.

yeah

mp

whatever

keno
08-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Campari and soda
Wheat thins and peanut butter
Cream cheese on garlic bagel chips
Peanuts from down south
2 fudgicles
roast beef sandwich
one cup of black coffee (natures' little broom, as fly calls it)
much diet ginger ale, water, orange juice
gazpacho
raisins
deli turkey from the package

All snacks, no meals, weigh 183 (at one point 240), older than dirt, am mindful of calories and 3,500 of them to shed a pound, otherwise pay attention to cravings and try to stop eating when it begins to hurt. BTW, I listed food for the soul first, otherwise random and as memory clicked in.

keno

GoJavs
08-23-2006, 07:40 AM
I've lost about 12 lbs so far. It's not really that hard for me because I've always struggled to keep the weight on. I've basically cut chocolate, soda, desserts, chips...you know all the stuff that makes eating worthwhile.

Woke up this morning for my usual bowl of Honey Nut Cherrios and out of curiosity I tried to measure what THEY consider a serving size.... :crap: OMG...Turns out what I thought was a sensible 150-200 calorie breakfast was a 600+ calorie feast, based on my serving size!!!! :confused:

Guess tomorrow we're switching to Instant Oatmeal. Yikes.

stevep
08-23-2006, 07:55 AM
THEY consider a serving size.... : . Yikes.

what, you eat more than 2 cheerios plus an eyedropper 1/2 full of no fat milk... for breakfast?

chrisroph
08-23-2006, 09:03 AM
bowl muesli with dollop of yogurt and sliced peach
2 hr mtn bike ride, power bar and two bottles of water
tuna fish sandwich with lettuce and tomato
snack--potato chips
senor taco burrito with corona and lemon

still too fat but happy

92degrees
08-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Guess tomorrow we're switching to Instant Oatmeal. Yikes.

Find a can or box of steel-cut oats (McCann's is good). They are much lower GI and will leave you full longer, without the sugar bump of very processed instant oats. ATMO.

SManning
08-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Breakfast-Strawberry yogurt, English Muffin with Four Fruit preserves and Orange juice

Lunch-Pasta salad with chicken, grapes and celery and some crackers and lemonade.

Snack-A peach

Dinner-Chicken with Orzo and cottage cheese

Snack-homemade ice cream

I also drank water throughout the day.

Combining exercise with breastfeeding a baby is a great way to burn calories. There are some days where it's really hard to keep up, especially when I've ridden my bike for 2 hours.

yeehawfactor
08-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Find a can or box of steel-cut oats (McCann's is good). They are much lower GI and will leave you full longer, without the sugar bump of very processed instant oats. ATMO.
they also have an awesome taste that is best described as natural. i can't handle the flavor of fake oatmeal.

Grant McLean
08-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Woke up this morning for my usual bowl of Honey Nut Cherrios and out of curiosity I tried to measure what THEY consider a serving size.... :crap: OMG...Turns out what I thought was a sensible 150-200 calorie breakfast was a 600+ calorie feast, based on my serving size!!!! :confused:

i love honey nut cherrios, but consider them dessert.

anything with "honey" in the title is just code for "sugar".

g

GoJavs
08-23-2006, 06:13 PM

----
Thanks for the advise. I'll check it out. Honey Nut Cheerios has served me well as a intermediate step to get out of my Pop-Tart addiction...But, I guess it's time for bran-this or bran-that.... :crap:

92degrees
08-23-2006, 06:36 PM
----
Thanks for the advise. I'll check it out. Honey Nut Cheerios has served me well as a intermediate step to get out of my Pop-Tart addiction...But, I guess it's time for bran-this or bran-that.... :crap:

They may be an aquired taste at first. Much better for you, tho. A few slices of banana in the pot with some vanilla and cinnamon goes a looong way. Raisins too. (sitting here waiting for dinner)

GoJavs
08-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Steve - what's the best way to make steel-cut oats in a 'reasonable' amount of time (i.e. for breakfast in the AM)?

92degrees
08-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Steve - what's the best way to make steel-cut oats in a 'reasonable' amount of time (i.e. for breakfast in the AM)?

You can shorten up the cooking time considerably by soaking the oats overnight in the milk. Personally, I cook them the night before and in the morning just add a splash of milk on top, stir it up a bit, and then nuke them and stir again. There's no way I could cook them before riding in the morning!

If you must, McCanns makes a quick cook version that is not steel cut, but it's much less processed than Quaker, etc. Those cook in a few minutes. I use those for my son before school.

GoJavs
08-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks, Steve! :)