PDA

View Full Version : Need a new helmet, like Lazer's, dunno anything about new models. Any users?

54ny77
05-14-2017, 09:15 PM
I've been using a Helium for the past 4-5 years, really like the fit on me (size large). Need a new one.

Went online to order and Helium is no more. Now can't really tell which are the better models, they all look pretty nice. Anyone have something new from them? Which one, and how do you like it?

I just like the fit of Helium. I can't wear anything from Giro, Bell, Specialized or Garneau. Have tried 'em all, they look positively ridiculous on my odd-shaped cabeza.

false_Aest
05-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Look into Smith.

I am 100% in love with the koroyd tech.

markoprotic
05-14-2017, 10:12 PM
I would recommend KASK Protone. Fit and finish are the best I've seen.

macaroon
05-15-2017, 03:33 AM
I like the Lazer O2; I think it'd fit anyone.

I've been using them for years though, so not sure how they compare to more "modern" helmets (if such a thing exists?)

GScot
05-15-2017, 06:30 AM
I'd say the Z1 is the replacement for the Helium. I went from Bell to LAS to Lazer and didn't think a helmet could be so comfortable. I scored a Z1 MIPS from forum sponsor Bike Tires Direct for something like $178 on a one day sale. And there is newish standard Z1 in the classifieds this morning.

About fit I was going to get a Helium as well after having tried one a couple years ago when browsing my old LBS. When I got around to it they were all gone.

old fat man
05-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Long time Genesis user here. The Helium was supposedly the upgraded version of the Genesis but I found it to feel heavy/tipsy and much less comfortable than the Genesis. Both Genesis and Helium are discontinued. The Z1 is their top shelf option - if I was you, I'd snag that Large in the classifieds if it's still available.

I now use the Blade, which is less than half the price of the Z1 but fits amazingly well and looks great - better in every aspect than the Genesis/Helium. If you want to buy new, look at the Lazer Blade.

zank
05-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Another Blade user here. Best fitting helmet I've ever had, but I know everyone's noggin is a different shape.

nooneline
05-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I'll echo some comments. If you liked the Helium, the Genesis is practically identical. It's not too hard to find some Genesis helmets for sale.

If you want to save a few bucks, get the Blade. The Blade and its high-end companion, the Z1, both fit really differently than the Helium, Genesis, and O2 did. They're a bit deeper, I feel, and they come in 3 sizes instead of 2.

The Blade is probably the best value helmet I can think of. It feels like something twice the price.

People love the Z2, but for me, it fits a little awkwardly - that additional temple protection they have (which is good!) just feels like a lot of helmet too close to my face.

colbyh
05-15-2017, 10:26 AM
I can't wear anything from Giro, Bell, Specialized or Garneau. Have tried 'em all, they look positively ridiculous on my odd-shaped cabeza.

I have the same shape head, apparently. The Z1 and the Kask Protone fit similarly for me and while I have the Z1 (and love it) the Protone really is a level up in quality.

54ny77
05-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the tips.

Been scanning online for prices, and FYI Performance Bike has closeouts on Lazer Helium in black & red, but in a medium. If that fits you, it's $99.

EDS
05-15-2017, 12:58 PM
The Z1 is nice. Same sizing as the Helium which I still have and is my Z1s immediate predecessor (prior to that I was a "Bell" fit rather than a "Giro" fit). That said, the Z1 is spendy and not sure I would have pulled the trigger on one without team deal.