PDA

View Full Version : OT:"Simplifying Life" what works for you?

stephenmarklay
05-14-2017, 06:33 AM
Your answer can be about bikes or about anything else.

For instance, to get started on a bike topic, can you get away with one bike for the road, to do centuries and get the groceries after a hard group ride?

While I am at it, how about going to the grocery less all the while wearing a reversible shirt made of wool that you can wear for a bit before washing?

I am trapped between a technology addiction (Phones etc), with a consumer mentality but feel like life would be more rewarding without so much dependence on stuff.

The other week we went away for a little weekend getaway and normally that means filling the car to the roof with crap. This time each of us (wife and two kids) got to take a backpack only (just for fun) and I found that I packed enough clothes, even within a backpack, for 3 weekend getaways. It was a good experiment and made the trip so much better. We left earlier with less grief, and packing up leaving was a 10 minute deal not 2 hours.

Anyone else try to simplify things?

Bentley
05-14-2017, 06:46 AM
Let me know how this works, great idea. I'm not sure I'm disciplined enough and it likely requires focus and commitment. I have way too much going on in life, not sure I have the bandwidth for this. That said, this might free up some bandwidth.....

joosttx
05-14-2017, 08:43 AM
I retired.

jensenn
05-14-2017, 08:52 AM
We moved to New York.

The limited space and not owning a car has really put into perspective that much of what we own, we don't really need. Ways in which we have been trying to simplify our life are trying to get rid of things we don't use and only buy things that will be used a lot or can be reused.

I try to throw away or donate a few things per week. I lay things out and if I haven't used it in some time or even forgot about it for a bit, I know that I can live without it, then it gets given away, to the sidewalk, or donated.

Mr. Pink
05-14-2017, 10:35 AM
A condo.

paredown
05-14-2017, 11:02 AM
A friend used to keep the 'trip box'--minimum kit for weekend camp (utensils, a few food staples, small stove etc)--by the back door. Grab some fresh food and your sleeping bag and hit the road. I always thought that was great--sort of the idiot's version of always having the camper or trailer stocked with the minimum stuff so you can hit the road quickly.

We've been working at getting rid of stuff we are not using--we had a period when we were could not replace anything; consequently everything we had seemed valuable.

Now, things have freed up a little, and we are trying to get a bag or two a week out the door. Someone else who has nothing needs the clothes or whatever more than we do!

Most of my old computer gear is gone, most of the extra bike parts are gone. Books are next--I have my working academic's library in my specialty, and if truth be told, I am not likely to read most of them again, and somewhere there is a young scholar dying to get his hands on a copy of some of the rarer ones...

Mzilliox
05-14-2017, 11:26 AM
just stop...
I have been living like this for my entire adult life. I try not to overconsume, im still wearing 20yr old t shirts, etc etc. my only purchases ever anymore are bikes and bike stuff, and thats a good thing to spend money on!

i just got a smart phone, before that i was disconnected. i find now with the smart phone i just end up not bringing it along because its so damn big. so do that sometimes. i mean really, how often do you actually have to get back to someone before you get home. be honest. just disconnect.

stop eating out so much, and learn to cook.

Garden, grow your own, spend time on this and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

ride with a book, then stop in a pretty place and read it, leave your phone behind, disconnect.

next time you want to watch tv, think about why? are you bored? could you be learning something instead? could you be fixing something? could you be sitting by a river watching birds and bugs?

go have a drink with some people at a local watering hole.

stop going to any chain store, chain restaurant, chain anything, its the first step to breaking free.

read more books

take pictures of stuff

fly a kite, build a kite, whatever.

don't just ride to get excersize and get faster, start subbing it for car trips. run to the bank or post office on your bike and don't hurry.

just stop doing stuff you think you have to do because society says you have to. society is a big mess, and its not making people all that happy.

keep thinking, don;t accept anything as true until you know its true. and if its too good to be true, it is.

fuzzalow
05-14-2017, 11:28 AM
A co-op.

Truth is, we still got a lotta stuff in storage, remaining including a car and a motorcycle being of my toys from a previous life. So until we get out from underneath all of that stuff which remains, we are not yet free from the thrall of unneeded possessions.

Burden of possessions is IMO relatively easy to solve. Because once you've had stuff, in whatever form of quality or quantity, it is easy to walk away from it because you've already had it. I dare say that in downsizing/simplifying, from both a wants/needs perspective and an emotional perspective, getting rid of 90% or more of all the stuff that's a part of your life is easy.

Simplifying life from a goals, spiritual or outlook perspective is far too involved and unique for any approach of anyone to be useful to anyone else. But I'd like to offer one thought as an overarching advice that works and yet sounds counter-intuitive and that advice is: Learn to say no.

Ernesto
05-14-2017, 11:36 AM
100% This. Thank you!

just stop...
I have been living like this for my entire adult life. I try not to overconsume, im still wearing 20yr old t shirts, etc etc. my only purchases ever anymore are bikes and bike stuff, and thats a good thing to spend money on!

i just got a smart phone, before that i was disconnected. i find now with the smart phone i just end up not bringing it along because its so damn big. so do that sometimes. i mean really, how often do you actually have to get back to someone before you get home. be honest. just disconnect.

ride with a book, then stop in a pretty place and read it, leave your phone behind, disconnect.

next time you want to watch tv, think about why? are you bored? could you be learning something instead? could you be fixing something? could you be sitting by a river watching birds and bugs?

stop going to any chain store, chain restaurant, chain anything, its the first step to breaking free.

read more books

take pictures of stuff

don't just ride to get excersize and get faster, start subbing it for car trips. run to the bank or post office on your bike and don't hurry.

just stop doing stuff you think you have to do because society says you have to. society is a big mess, and its not making people all that happy.

keep thinking, don;t accept anything as true until you know its true. and if its too good to be true, it is.

54ny77
05-14-2017, 11:39 AM
stick with 10-speed. ;)

Mr Cabletwitch
05-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Simple Rule, if you pick it up or look at it and feel a passion for the item or what the item allows you to do, keep it. If you pick it up or look at it and you don't feel a burning desire to use or play with it, move it along. I use this rule with bikes, electronics, stereos, all kinds of stuff. I wouldn't call my self a minimalist by any stretch of reality but I don't horde things like the previous generations of my family did and that feels good to me.

An example of something I don't use but I still feel passion for are my kayaks, I haven't used them in about a year, but I still feel a burning desire to kayak. I just don't have the time. I also have the storage space so I keep them, I feel good about that. On the flip side I had a very high end Yamaha stereo receiver I don't use anymore, I found a nice guy that would appreciate it so I sold it to him for what he can afford, I feel good about that too.

ceolwulf
05-14-2017, 11:55 AM
I keep trying to get rid of stuff but the time required to sell it is itself a major obstacle.

Being unemployed this last winter did help me make a lot of progress in that though. So ... get laid off? :eek:

Clean39T
05-14-2017, 12:00 PM
just stop...

read more books

take pictures of stuff

:beer: very well put ^^^^

Clean39T
05-14-2017, 12:42 PM
A condo.

Yes - or at least as small of a house as you can find if you don't want to be in the city in a high-rise building..

paredown
05-14-2017, 12:47 PM
I keep trying to get rid of stuff but the time required to sell it is itself a major obstacle.

Being unemployed this last winter did help me make a lot of progress in that though. So ... get laid off? :eek:
Or have a health crisis as I did this past winter. I could not do stuff that was physically taxing, but boy did I go through lots of papers and stuff!:beer:

ptourkin
05-14-2017, 01:20 PM
I bought the Marie Kondo book. Maybe I can find it under all the stuff on my coffee table...

oldpotatoe
05-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Maybe being alone, at least for a while. Not in the cards tho. :(

GonaSovereign
05-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Listen, I still believe you need minimum three different types of booties for cycling, but for life in general I'm all about the zero-sum rule. If you want something new, something needs to go. If there's a cost to getting something, you'll consider whether you need it.

I also purge a lot of cycling components and kit by giving it to local juniors or sending it to Cuba. Knowing the stuff gets used by a deserving human is better than haggling for a few bucks.

jlwdm
05-14-2017, 03:12 PM
I am really good about getting rid of things I do not really like or use. On the other hand I buy a lot of things. I buy things that I hopefully will like for a long time or forever. I don't mind paying a lot for things I really like, but I hate buying things I don't love even if they are really great prices.

Bikes are easy for me as I could get by with one road bike. I have owned my first custom, a Serotta, for almost 10 years and have loved it the entire time. My CSI is on permanent trainer duty, but I hope to start riding it soon. I do have a set of Archetypes with White Industries hubs that I have had for 3 years and have never ridden - don't need them. I have a Spectrum Ti that I won that sits in Seattle - 50 miles in 6 1/2 years. I have family in the Seattle area and hoped to ride it more. I mainly went to Seattle to my mother but she passed away about 6 weeks ago. Just before she died I purchased a lot of cycling clothes for Seattle so now I am at least ready to ride there. I plan to do a couple of rides in WA this summer. But I could get buy with one road bike.

I don't keep spare bike parts around. And I don't buy and sell bikes. I buy them and ride them.

My house is too big so that means having a lot of stuff. Where I work and live it is the bottom end of the market so it is kind of a cost of doing business. I do have a three car garage with only 1 car - but I have been looking.

Two weeks ago I drove a load of possessions from AZ to TX. Included were a lot of home accessories that were acquired from around the world and mean too much to me to ever get rid of.

I have always liked clothes and have quite a few, but I definitely get rid of anything I am not wearing. I have lost a lot of weight in the last six months so I have been buying a lot of clothes and making a lot of trips to the goodwill.

I also enjoy watches, but I have thinned down to four watches and multiple straps for variety.

After my father died my mother would give us kids money for Christmas and birthdays. I tracked what I received and used the money to buy bikes and watches so that I had something to show my mother that I bought with the money and something I loved.

I also enjoy audio/video and I do have one streamer/pre-amp/amp to get rid of.

Although I have two vacant garage bays I do not use them for storage.

I am eating at home more and reading more, but I put too many miles on my car. Also got rid of my Post Office box. I am not taking any magazines or newspapers and early this year I cancelled my cable tv. I have a small wall antenna for one tv and use Amazon Prime Video. My plan is to jump from one streaming service to another - just using one or two at a time. I tried Directv Now but was not a fan and cancelled it.

So in summary I buy a fair amount of stuff, they are things I really like and I do get rid of things I don't love or use. I have also cut back on other things in my life.

Jeff

Don49
05-14-2017, 03:33 PM
I bought the Marie Kondo book. Maybe I can find it under all the stuff on my coffee table...Yes, that book has helped me make long lasting changes when nothing else really worked. https://smile.amazon.com/Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering-Organizing/dp/1607747308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494793264&sr=8-1&keywords=kondo+organizing

I've been trying to simplify and minimize since I was 15 without much success. One small success has been going paperless at home, that did reduce paper clutter but sort of shifted it to digital clutter.

I seem to hit emotional roadblocks when I try to declutter, I pickup something that evokes memories, get distracted, and give up on the process. What has worked for me is convincing myself that I'm going to make a household move and start organizing and paring down in preparation.

I was displaced once for 27 months when an earthquake destroyed my house. I had literally 48 hours to pack up and store stuff, and move into a friends spare bedroom. I took a road bike, a mtn bike, and a suitcase of personal stuff, everything else being in storage. That was the best two years of my life in many ways, being free of possessions and household responsibilities.

paredown
05-14-2017, 03:42 PM

I was displaced once for 27 months when an earthquake destroyed my house. I had literally 48 hours to pack up and store stuff, and move into a friends spare bedroom. I took a road bike, a mtn bike, and a suitcase of personal stuff, everything else being in storage. That was the best two years of my life in many ways, being free of possessions and household responsibilities.

Not by natural disaster, but I had a similar feeling when I went to the UK for graduate school. Computer, half a dozen indispensable reference books, and the clothes that I could carry in one large suitcase.

Made me realize how little we need to be comfortable, and how little our "selves" are about what we own. I picked up a truly awful "mountain bike" at a police auction, a press pot for making coffee, carried a door home to my 'flat' to use as a work surface etc...

When my wife and I moved to the UK a decade later, I lost the discussion about doing the same thing again--she was more tied to her "stuff". We passed up a perfect opportunity to sell all of our furniture to some recently divorced guy who came to the open house for the house sale, and wanted to buy it all... Instead we moved a lot of stuff across the pond and back. (To be fair, I did pack a Pod with tools and other stuff and stored it in Seattle.:D)

john903
05-14-2017, 04:16 PM
This is a great topic and just kicking around ideas says something about yourself, that you are open to getting rid of stuff. I have always moved around as a kid, then military 20 years so it is kind of ingrained in me not to have a lot of stuff. After I retired from the military we got rid of lots of stuff one general rule was if we had not used it in 4 years it is out of here. So we sold or house moved to a rural town on 3 acres. We remolded a hay shed so our house is 300 sq ft and our shop is bigger set up for my wife's wood working business and my bike shop. So some of our guide lines are no matter how big your back pack is you will fill it so be aware of its capacity. Every couple years just look around and if it has not been used out it goes (my mountain bike back in March). Learn to say No. As much as I derive joy from helping others I have to say no sometimes and just do nothing or read a book. We are also a bit different in that we don't do any social media, we have friends over for a meal, we only have a trac phone for emergencies on road trips.
Anyway have fun, you will find it kinda fun getting rid of stuff and or appreciating the things you do have.

54ny77
05-14-2017, 04:47 PM
What do you do, for example, when your spouse refuses to let go of, for example, that [item] from 5th grade that is boxed up with about 4 tons of OTHER assorted crap...all of which of course holds SO MUCH sentimental value that zero thought has gone into any of its existence...until the bin is pulled for potential tossing out. Of course then it's holy hell why are you throwing that out, how dare you?!?!?!?

Hypothetically, of course. :crap:

(Of course, this is speaking as one who has a box of about 30 bike chains, enough to last a couple decades, because the deal was too good to pass up....:D)

jlwdm
05-14-2017, 05:27 PM
What do you do, for example, when your spouse refuses to let go of, for example, that [item] from 5th grade that is boxed up with about 4 tons of OTHER assorted crap...all of which of course holds SO MUCH sentimental value that zero thought has gone into any of its existence...until the bin is pulled for potential tossing out. Of course then it's holy hell why are you throwing that out, how dare you?!?!?!?

My mother moved from a house she had been in for over 50 years to a 750 sq ft independent living apartment. The house she moved from was not large but it had a basement full of stuff of my sisters and a little of mine. I flew up to Washington State to help get rid of things and organize what she needed as I am good at that. I bet there were not more than 1 or 2 items that my sisters and I wanted to keep.

Jeff

fuzzalow
05-14-2017, 05:30 PM

Hypothetically, of course. :crap:

(Of course, this is speaking as one who has a box of about 30 bike chains, enough to last a couple decades, because the deal was too good to pass up....:D)

If you have the space in a home to store it, then dontworryboudit. Even if it seems nonsensical to you.

Until there is a immutable need & requirement to triage possessions to survive pending changes to space availablility, it is not existential to warrant fighting that battle. Because until the circumstance becomes elevated to a true, quality of life issue, those keepsakes are not viewed as under threat as your downsizing wishes are ungrounded and purely theoretical.

The short version is simply this: Pick battles with the Missus prudently and it is often better to live to fight another day. When the time comes when you gotta do what you gotta do, you'll both know it.

People live in houses to fill 'me up with stuff. It's the American way. We've all done it.

54ny77
05-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Hah! Pick the battles, got it. :beer:

Funny how we did the inverse: from about 800 or so sq. ft. in the city to the usual 'burbs house, which also has this thing called a basement. The irony is in total we still effectively only use about 1000 sq. ft. of living space (a few rooms, basically).

The rest of the space: filled with crap. Like cases of paper towels....whereas in the city we'd buy 1 or 2 rolls since that's all we had room for!

:banana:

If you have the space in a home to store it, then dontworryboudit. Even if it seems nonsensical to you.

Until there is a immutable need & requirement to triage possessions to survive pending changes to space availablility, it is not existential to warrant fighting that battle. Because until the circumstance becomes elevated to a true, quality of life issue, those keepsakes are not viewed as under threat as your downsizing wishes are ungrounded and purely theoretical.

The short version is simply this: Pick battles with the Missus prudently and it is often better to live to fight another day.

People live in houses to fill 'me up with stuff. It's the American way. We've all done it.

fuzzalow
05-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Hah! Pick the battles, got it. :beer:

Funny how we did the inverse: from about 800 or so sq. ft. in the city to the usual 'burbs house, which also has this thing called a basement. The irony is in total we still effectively only use about 1000 sq. ft. of living space (a few rooms, basically).

The rest of the space: filled with crap. Like cases of paper towels....whereas in the city we'd buy 1 or 2 rolls since that's all we had room for!

:banana:

HaHa, it's all in the head. 1000 sq. ft. in a house feels OK 'cos you got lots more space available - all you gotta do is use it. 1000 sq. ft. in an apartment is actually not bad but it might not feel as spacious as what & how you voluntarily cordoned yourself off to in your house 'cos now you know 1000 sq. ft. is all you've got. And 800 sq. ft. is even tighter than that, that could be difficult over a longer term. When we rented on 76th Street it was a 1BR @ 750 sq. ft. and that was in many ways a very unpleasant way to live. It was temporary but that still didn't exculpate unpleasantness in space that always felt hemmed in with.

Things like how much use of storage eats into living space and floor plan layout mean everything in an apartment, as you already know. Hundred things to consider before deciding on an apartment. Then you gotta win it. Brutal.

Enjoy your house, you've earned it.

Ralph
05-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Good topic. You especially start thinking about this when you get old like me. Do you own your stuff, or does it own you?

is that paid for 4/2 3 car garage pool home an investment....or does all that opportunity cost money not making you income keep you from doing some of the things you want to do in your final years? In Florida....Am I tied down because I think I need to be here to cover the roof if we have a hurricane? Why? Do you really have a use for all that tuff you have accumulated? Saving it for your kids....they don't want it!

And when you die....the kids just call a flea market guy to come get it for pennies. Lots to think about here....not just for you younger folks. Maybe....after prudent saving and investing....living now is a better idea. I'm retired from Merrill Lynch....the investment company. Even back when I worked.....I always told my clients....no need to live super cheap all the time.....after you meet your savings goals....it's OK to spend the rest.

Dana Kilalps
05-14-2017, 06:46 PM
If you have the space in a home to store it, then dontworryboudit. .

It's nice to have a house full of stuff to play with even if there are very long periods of time it goes unused. A lot of old stuff has gone way up in cost to get one or is no longer attainable. I think it is considerate to get rid of everything if one is near death so as to not inconvenience those left behind.

fuzzalow
05-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Good topic. You especially start thinking about this when you get old like me. Do you own your stuff, or does it own you?

is that paid for 4/2 3 car garage pool home an investment....or does all that opportunity cost money not making you income keep you from doing some of the things you want to do in your final years? In Florida....Am I tied down because I think I need to be here to cover the roof if we have a hurricane? Why? Do you really have a use for all that tuff you have accumulated? Saving it for your kids....they don't want it!

And when you die....the kids just call a flea market guy to come get it for pennies. Lots to think about here....not just for you younger folks. Maybe....after prudent saving and investing....living now is a better idea. I'm retired from Merrill Lynch....the investment company. Even back when I worked.....I always told my clients....no need to live super cheap all the time.....after you meet your savings goals....it's OK to spend the rest.

Not trying to bogart the conversation but I agree with much of this as a valid view. It gets to what I consider a much more salient issue on fundamental goals and happiness after attaining some degree of maturity along with an added dose of introspection. Because in many regards, consumerism or materialism is a lie and a very easy rabbit hole to fall down into. The ease of buying into a shallow lifestyle with a focus on wants and trivial creature comforts has sustained the boomer generation of which I am a part. But I think that mode of life and living has started fraying around the edges, even for us boomers, a long time ago. In many respects the solution offered in consumerism felt so easy which by the very nature of its simplicity made that solution so corrupt - a lifetime chasing wants.

I don't think the millennials view life in the way I as a boomer do. But then I really don't know how millennials think and what they believe in outside of the influence I've had on my own family. I don't think millennials will make the same mistake boomers did, they'll make their own mistakes, nothing I can do about that. But for me I'll try not to keep making the same mistakes that were viewed as birthrights of my own boomer generation. That this topic is even up for discussion means that I am not alone in thinking this way.

Tandem Rider
05-14-2017, 07:24 PM
I am watching this thread closely, we are getting ready for a cross country move, and we will have about 2/3 the space and 1/3 the storage we do now. We are going through our stuff, all our parents are passed and we inherited households of stuff, cue George Carlin. :help:

Tickdoc
05-14-2017, 07:32 PM
I just....can't....do it.

I have hoarding tendencies....kept in check by my wife. God bless her.

I like the look of a modern house.... a clean house, but it also gives me the willies. Cold, uncomforting, sterile environments make me sad.

I find comfort in my clutter.

Not exactly your point, but it hinders my ability to purge and clean.

Now if I could find a way to live in simple clutter? Maybe.

giverdada
05-14-2017, 07:45 PM
i'm with you on those tendencies to hold on to stuff, and on that super-difficult emotional block of getting rid of stuff. i'm an extremely sentimental person, and it's bad from both sides: stuff reminds me of nostalgic good ol' days, and stuff makes me hope for a good ol' future when i'll actually be able to use it. case in point: my father-in-law passing away and leaving behind a dream garage full of tools and projects. i'd love to have somewhere to put it. i'd love to have the time to do anything with it. none of this is in the cards.

as for getting rid of things and paring down and all that: i rely heavily on my partner's shrewd approach to clutter, my extremely limited funds, the perspective of who needs what more (me and my passions or my kids and theirs), and the fact that i have nowhere to put anything. the shed is nearly empty now after some purging a couple of weeks ago. next to go is the basement crap. we are getting priced out of our rental house and are thus screwed and needing to look for new living quarters. likely they will be smaller. moving. it helps with the purge. so does flooding and medical emergency. every now and again i need to get in the right mindset, then i tear through boxes and things and make a garbage bag and a burn bag. then i take the burn bag on a weekend trip to my parents, and many marshmallows are roasted. cleansing feeling. and then i can't find anything anymore... :crap:

stephenmarklay
05-14-2017, 09:12 PM
I bought the Marie Kondo book. Maybe I can find it under all the stuff on my coffee table...

Interesting. I started listen to her on the Tim Ferris podcast but with the translation etc I did not finish. I was preoccupied with something so I will try again.

stephenmarklay
05-14-2017, 09:13 PM
just stop...

read more books

take pictures of stuff

Thanks for the ideas. “Just Stop” is pretty tough to tell an addict :crap:

John H.
05-14-2017, 09:39 PM
Cutting the tether to your smart phone is a great start.
People, are addicted to those things.
I like to say that the smartphone is the new smoking.
People are totally addicted to it, and the act of checking it, etc..

weisan
05-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the ideas. “Just Stop” is pretty tough to tell an addict :crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

stephenmarklay
05-14-2017, 09:45 PM

I just ordered the book on audible...

stephenmarklay
05-14-2017, 09:50 PM
Cutting the tether to your smart phone is a great start.
People, are addicted to those things.
I like to say that the smartphone is the new smoking.
People are totally addicted to it, and the act of checking it, etc..

I cannot get rid of it but I am going to limit it for sure. I totally agree with you. I already set my auto respond to tell people, including my work clients, that I will be checking email 1x per day.

Mr. Pink
05-14-2017, 10:22 PM
I moved six times between '01 and '14, and, I tell ya, that's a great way to eliminate useless stuff from your life. Have you used it lately? Are you going to read that book again? (Hint:Libraries and used book stores) Are you ever going to spin that vinyl or CDs in the age of ITunes and Spotify? What makes you think you're going to wear those clothes you haven't worn in ten years? Trust me, you'll feel better letting go. Anyway, you now live in a time when you can fit a thousand books and tens of thousands of songs in a shoulder bag.

It's a shame how so many boomers are insisting upon holding on to their biggest albatross, the house. Usually, that house was bought to hold more than two people and a lot are paying taxes for a school system that's no longer needed. Such a drain on the finances, which, on average, are pretty awful for most after age 55. Think of the awesome bike vacations you can take with the money you spend on landscaping alone over a decade, let alone a new roof and heating system and air conditioning and........... It's not as though that thing is going to appreciate much more in your lifetime. That game ended in 08.
Don't get me going on buying two 50,000 dollar cars for the household.

jlwdm
05-14-2017, 10:22 PM
I cannot get rid of it but I am going to limit it for sure. I totally agree with you. I already set my auto respond to tell people, including my work clients, that I will be checking email 1x per day.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but I need to be accessible to clients by email, text and phone. Part of running my own small business.

Jeff

Mr. Pink
05-14-2017, 10:26 PM

Yeah, sorry, but, in a lot of companies and businesses, you wouldn't last long if you insisted on those terms.

SoCalSteve
05-14-2017, 10:34 PM
I moved six times between '01 and '14, and, I tell ya, that's a great way to eliminate useless stuff from your life. Have you used it lately? Are you going to read that book again? (Hint:Libraries and used book stores) Are you ever going to spin that vinyl or CDs in the age of ITunes and Spotify? What makes you think you're going to wear those clothes you haven't worn in ten years? Trust me, you'll feel better letting go. Anyway, you now live in a time when you can fit a thousand books and tens of thousands of songs in a shoulder bag.

It's a shame how so many boomers are insisting upon holding on to their biggest albatross, the house. Usually, that house was bought to hold more than two people and a lot are paying taxes for a school system that's no longer needed. Such a drain on the finances, which, on average, are pretty awful for most after age 55. Think of the awesome bike vacations you can take with the money you spend on landscaping alone over a decade, let alone a new roof and heating system and air conditioning and........... It's not as though that thing is going to appreciate much more in your lifetime. That game ended in 08.

Not sure where you live, but where I live from 2008 to 2016, my home doubled in value. Oh, I bought it in 2002. Had I believed that it "ended " in 08, I would not have been able to retire at 59 years old last year( partially from the sale of my house in 2016 ).

Mr. Pink
05-14-2017, 11:06 PM
OH, yeah, well, California. That doesn't count. And, betcha whomever bought that thing from you ain't making no money on it for a while.

You didn't buy another house in California, I hope.

estilley
05-14-2017, 11:11 PM
I went from a high-ish paying job (for my age group) in NYC to a low one in PDX with school tuition obligations.

Stopped buying clothes, except for bike stuff of course! I work 5-6 days a week so shirts are taken care of there and then it's just cycling pants/shorts, which are lasting well despite a few small holes.

Social life is far different from NYC but I spend it doing more fun/productive things, i.e. riding/running with friends, cooking dinner, or talking about local issues.

I'm riding more than I ever have, making meaningful purchases for things that work and get lots of use, and the basket bike is seeing a ton of miles!

I feel every hour of the day is time well spent rather than time being something that couldn't pass fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalSteve
05-14-2017, 11:14 PM
OH, yeah, well, California. That doesn't count. And, betcha whomever bought that thing from you ain't making no money on it for a while.

Not yet, we wanted to lease a condo at the beach to see if it's something we'd be happy with. Since our lease will be up in about 6 months, we are looking to buy in the building.

So yes, I'd buy in CA again in a heartbeat. Best financial investment I ever made was buying real estate in Los Angeles. In 2002 I thought I paid too much for my home. I saw it increase in value every year I lived there.

Mr. Pink
05-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Yeah, but, how old are you? At a certain point in life, all that capital tied up in a home does you no good unless you want to leave it to the kids. You have to live somewhere.
And, c'mon. Those prices are not sustainable. Didn't we learn anything from 08? But, then again, it's California. A different world.

SoCalSteve
05-14-2017, 11:37 PM
Yeah, but, how old are you? At a certain point in life, all that capital tied up in a home does you no good unless you want to leave it to the kids. You have to live somewhere.
And, c'mon. Those prices are not sustainable. Didn't we learn anything from 08? But, then again, it's California. A different world.

I am 59, have no kids and firmly believe that real estate will continue to go up.

And,who said I'd tie up a bunch of capital? Put down 20%. What I learned from 2008 was to hold onto my house for another 8 years and sell it for a boatload of money.

Lots of other hot real estate markets outside of California. Not that different of a world. Even though, there have been many times in the last few months I would love to see us to secede from the rest of the country....:crap:

pdmtong
05-15-2017, 02:01 AM
Its simple. Be happy with where you are and what you have.

People over things.

jlwdm
05-15-2017, 03:24 AM

Plenty of other robust real estate markets besides CA.

Jeff

Mr. Pink
05-15-2017, 06:26 AM
Plenty of other robust real estate markets besides CA.

Jeff

Not really. Denver's hot, but, they never bubbled. Don't even mention Manhattan. That's not an American market, it's a place to launder foreign money and home to our great, immoral financial industry. Miami bounced back with South American and Euro money. Maybe there's a few more, but, overall, it's still a pretty warped market when about ten percent of "homeowners" are still underwater.
Homes are too damn expensive. That's sorta my point. Amerca spends an enormous amount of money on homes, thinking that they're great "investments", when they should only be a place to live. We have an entire generation of young people who can't afford hardly anything because they're saddled with over 1.3 trillion of student debt. Tell them the housing market is sane. But, boomers still gloat that they made a bundle on their home, while its just a result of low interest rates and policies that favor the haves, not the have nots. It's kinda crazy to read that some people think that, at this level of pricing, that they're gambling on another doubling of their homes value. Bernie Maddoff smirks in prison.
Sooner or later you have to cash out, to make that "investment" worth it. You just can't go on flipping homes until the grave. I'm pretty sure St. Peter has a pretty nice crash pad up there, so he won't be interested. Besides, old people just don't move a lot. It's hard, I've done it a lot. Settle down.

Edit: I've been following this blog for years now. He cuts through the BS well, and is well respected. He specializes in California.

http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com

Check out that first headline. Nearly 40% of 18-34 year olds live with mom and dad in California. Can't even afford to rent. That's a good market? Harrumph, when I was a young man, I could pretty easily afford to get my lazy butt out of my parents home right after college, and I wasn't working on Wall Street. If I put my nose to the grindstone and knew what I know now, I would have bought a home, but, then again, I would have been immobile, not able to advance my career as I did. But these kids haven't even left home. Sad.

stephenmarklay
05-15-2017, 06:39 AM

I have two kid in grade school (2nd and 6th) but in 10 years or so how house situation will change for sure. I am not thinking downsize as much as just having a place to hang my hat. We have a very small condo right now that we have rented for 10 years. That may be the place.

stephenmarklay
05-15-2017, 06:42 AM
I don't know what kind of work you do, but I need to be accessible to clients by email, text and phone. Part of running my own small business.

Jeff

So do I. I sell real estate. I will still answer my phone and respond to txt as needed but I am using some ideas to lower that rate as well.

The most successful agent I know around here has always answered her calls etc at 2 strategic times in the day. Otherwise she could not get her work done.

stephenmarklay
05-15-2017, 06:44 AM
Yeah, sorry, but, in a lot of companies and businesses, you wouldn't last long if you insisted on those terms.

I am not worried about what others can’t do actually. I am setting myself up for the way I want to live not how others want me to live.

stephenmarklay
05-15-2017, 06:55 AM
Its simple. Be happy with where you are and what you have.

People over things.

Agreed. I will go one step further and say people and experiences over things.

In this consumer society we have lost our perspective. I am slowly starting to see that the “things” I have either serve a purpose or they don’t and that my emotional tie to that thing has to be connected to the experiences gained not the shiny object itself.

I just bought a new motorcycle. It is an adventure style so I can do off road etc. This weekend I took a class, fell down, got stuck in the mud, broke a part etc.

In the past I would not have wanted it to get dirty. Now, I am starting to understand it’s place in my life along with the other things I have.
I think I will be able to let go of things with this new perspective.

stephenmarklay
05-15-2017, 06:58 AM
I went from a high-ish paying job (for my age group) in NYC to a low one in PDX with school tuition obligations.

Stopped buying clothes, except for bike stuff of course! I work 5-6 days a week so shirts are taken care of there and then it's just cycling pants/shorts, which are lasting well despite a few small holes.

Social life is far different from NYC but I spend it doing more fun/productive things, i.e. riding/running with friends, cooking dinner, or talking about local issues.

I'm riding more than I ever have, making meaningful purchases for things that work and get lots of use, and the basket bike is seeing a ton of miles!

I feel every hour of the day is time well spent rather than time being something that couldn't pass fast enough.

Nice!

tuscanyswe
05-15-2017, 07:12 AM

You obviously made the right choice! Sounds sweet!

AngryScientist
05-15-2017, 07:23 AM
i dont have much to add, but will say that my wife does ALL the cooking in our house; however - of course for mother's day, the kids and i got up early and made breakfast.

well, it was literally like a scene out of a sit-com. flour everywhere in the kitchen. maple syrup on the floor. eggs broken where eggs shouldnt be broken. etch etc. the look on my wife's face when she saw the state of the kitchen was priceless.

haha! we all had a good hard laugh.

breakfast was delicious though. and we all had fun making food.

currently we eat out a lot, but i think more adventure in the kitchen would enhance our lives a bit and add in some family time.

so that's my answer to the inquiry, as a suggestion - cook with the people you like more.

Pegoready
05-15-2017, 07:35 AM
Cutting TV. It's too easy to turn it on, get inundated with advertising, news cycles designed to entertain and/or cause hysteria, and terrible programming. We do watch Netflix and collect news from select sources. I literally can't think during the rare times I watch real network TV, on JetBlue or when I visit my parents.

Using an AdBlocker in my browser is also an amazing life simplifying tactic. Unfortunately it's an arms race, between adblocking software and websites who need you to see their paid advertising.

I get a great joy from using high quality things until they're threadbare and paying a local mechanic, cobbler, or tailor to repair them rather than replace.

I'm far from perfect and have an affinity for outdoor gear. I try and buy high quality and preowned, and re-sell or give away what I don't use.

chiasticon
05-15-2017, 07:41 AM
not a ton to add for the whole life thing. but lately I've been working hard on slimming down the bike stable to what I feel is "necessary." for me, that's two road bikes (fast one for summer, and one that fits fenders and fat tires for everything else) and two cross bikes (because racing cross means two bikes). I sold two frames recently and still have a couple more to go. mostly I've just come to the conclusion that while I like the other bikes a lot, having extra stuff that I'm not using as much as I should just sucks. especially when it's awesome stuff other people can enjoy. and it's extra stuff I have to keep working or have to move around to actually get to the bike I am riding.

I still have way too many wheels though.

ChrisSnyder
05-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Konmari.

We live in a 3/2 house with a 2-car garage, all full of crap. Attic full, garage full so we could barely get one car in there, closets stuffed, totes under the beds. We thought we'd need a bigger house when a kid arrived, but after a good month of Konmari, we now have both cars in the garage, an empty attic, an entirely vacant room with an empty closet, no totes full of winter clothes stashed around the house, etc. etc. We took about 5 truck loads of perfectly good stuff that we just didn't use anymore to charity.

It has made a huge difference in our day-to-day lives as the stress from seeing clutter has all but disappeared.

Mzilliox
05-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Konmari.

We live in a 3/2 house with a 2-car garage, all full of crap. Attic full, garage full so we could barely get one car in there, closets stuffed, totes under the beds. We thought we'd need a bigger house when a kid arrived, but after a good month of Konmari, we now have both cars in the garage, an empty attic, an entirely vacant room with an empty closet, no totes full of winter clothes stashed around the house, etc. etc. We took about 5 truck loads of perfectly good stuff that we just didn't use anymore to charity.

It has made a huge difference in our day-to-day lives as the stress from seeing clutter has all but disappeared.

Thanks for picking this topic to join our forum! welcome and great first post.

My wife and I moved a lot when we first got married. It started with a move to South Africa for 2+ years. and we weren't quite sure what was after South Africa. So we got rid of almost everything we had at that point (which wasn't much since we were 2 kids just through college trying to make it in Portland.) At first throwing things out felt very strange and destructive. but once the stuff was gone there was a sense of freedom. It as interesting to think we had just gotten rid of all of our stuff and were getting ready to actually start living!

Now we have yearly good will purges. Books, poor fitting clothes and bad gifts get donated to folks who could give them a second life.

and get rid of your cable subscription! no more sitting down to mindlessly flip. now if there is something i want to see i have to find it online and watch, rather than just watching anything. so i am only watching tv when there is something specific i actually want to see, not just for distraction.

stop getting the latest update. your last edition works fine.

drive your car till it stops running not till it stops looking fresh.

go for picnics in new places. this is something the wife and i are exploring this year. we spend our travel time going far, but we rarely find the gems which are near. its time to find the gems which are near, some probably bikeable.

stuckinthecity
05-15-2017, 09:55 AM
One of the most difficult choices I made when I moved was to not take my books (aside from treasured gifts) or CDs with me, moving entirely to streaming and a Kindle.

Ken Robb
05-15-2017, 10:56 AM
I retired.

This worked for me too! :-)

Ken Robb
05-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Thanks for picking this topic to join our forum! welcome and great first post.

stop getting the latest update. your last edition works fine.

I guess this is why I am down to ONLY 3 bikes and they are all 9 speed. :-)

Ken Robb
05-15-2017, 11:05 AM
I was a Realtor for 36 years so I have seen LOTS of overstuffed homes. It's really funny to see $60,000 cars parked on the street because the double or triple garage is jammed with unused crap that wouldn't sell for $1,000 at a very successful garage sale.

But there was one time when I convinced clients to get rid of all the junk and declutter before we listed their home for sale. Once all the crap was gone they realized they didn't NEED a bigger home after all so I lost 2 sales. :D

Mr. Pink
05-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Haha, that's funny.

EDS
05-15-2017, 12:51 PM
A tip of my hat to all those with children who have managed to "simplified life". My youngest turns two this week and I while I want to press pause on her growing up (she is in a really cute phase right now, even if her favorite word is no) I do look forward to life without diapers, strollers and car seats.

fuzzalow
05-15-2017, 01:48 PM
A tip of my hat to all those with children who have managed to "simplified life". My youngest turns two this week and I while I want to press pause on her growing up (she is in a really cute phase right now, even if her favorite word is no) I do look forward to life without diapers, strollers and car seats.

Enjoy the time, they grow so fast and the time goes by in the blink of an eye.

I was gonna chime in to say that providing material goods and "things" are easy and the least of your worries, but then I caught myself that this is wrong if you add in the cost of a college education as "things" you must provide - which is not easy and trivial by any stretch.

My original point was that to provide material things for your kids in a country as wealthy as ours is not all that iffy a proposition. We are a great country and we live mostly better than most other nations - especially the average demographic of this forum. But the biggest & most important thing isn't what you give to them but rather what kids "get" from you: Attitudes, perceptions, ethics, outlook on life, ways & means of making judgements and decision making, yada yada yada. All not material things like they would wear on their back but ideas and thoughts that reside inside their head that they learned from you from the very day they were born.

You won't know this yet because your youngest is two. But the biggest and best payback has yet to occur which is when you get to the point where your kids are post-college young adults and you judge them positively in the light and complexity of adulthood. Only then will you know you did OK. And even then it never ends because they will be your kids until the day you die.

The comedian Louis CK often riffs on parenting and he jokes that "you don't want to be the person who brought a $h!tty person into the world" - he wasn't talkin' about a person who had nice things. Harsh but true & cruel but fair.

How does this come back around to the OP topic of simplifying life? Because I think solving this mystery for yourself isn't about what you do - lotsa testimony in this thread about how people get rid of stuff, like that's enough just to get rid of stuff. I believe getting closer to a liveable answer about this is not about what you do, it is about how you think. Thoughts, beliefs and ideas drive action.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

SoCalSteve
05-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Enjoy the time, they grow so fast and the time goes by in the blink of an eye.

I was gonna chime in to say that providing material goods and "things" are easy and the least of your worries, but then I caught myself that this is wrong if you add in the cost of a college education as "things" you must provide - which is not easy and trivial by any stretch.

My original point was that to provide material things for your kids in a country as wealthy as ours is not all that iffy a proposition. We are a great country and we live mostly better than most other nations - especially the average demographic of this forum. But the biggest & most important thing isn't what you give to them but rather what kids "get" from you: Attitudes, perceptions, ethics, outlook on life, ways & means of making judgements and decision making, yada yada yada. All not material things like they would wear on their back but ideas and thoughts that reside inside their head that they learned from you from the very day they were born.

You won't know this yet because your youngest is two. But the biggest and best payback has yet to occur which is when you get to the point where your kids are post-college young adults and you judge them positively in the light and complexity of adulthood. Only then will you know you did OK. And even then it never ends because they will be your kids until the day you die.

The comedian Louis CK often riffs on parenting and he jokes that "you don't want to be the person who brought a $h!tty person into the world" - he wasn't talkin' about a person who had nice things. Harsh but true & cruel but fair.

How does this come back around to the OP topic of simplifying life? Because I think solving this mystery for yourself isn't about what you do - lotsa testimony in this thread about how people get rid of stuff, like that's enough just to get rid of stuff. I believe getting closer to a liveable answer about this is not about what you do, it is about how you think. Thoughts, beliefs and ideas drive action.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

It is a good story and you should stick with it!!!

Sold my large house, retired and moved to much smaller digs. Sold, gave away or threw away a boatload of stuff. Yes, that helped simplify my life, but...Fuzz is correct, it's taken me a long time to come to the realization that with my early retirement, I was given a gift. A gift of freedom and a way to live a healthy and hopefully a long and happy life.

Yeah, my positive thoughts, beliefs and ideas are what motivate me daily to get up and live, really live. Eat well, exercise, cycle and go out to lunch with my friends. Enjoy simple pleasures.

A simple life, truly worth living....:hello:

MattTuck
05-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Maybe I am the contrarian here.

Getting rid of stuff that you don't use regularly strikes me as foolish. It is one thing to say, "oh, the kids have grown up and we don't need to keep their clothes anymore." But recently, I've seen people begin to fetishize minimalism and they want to get rid of all of their stuff.

First off, it would have been better to not acquire stuff that you don't need in the first place, because then you'd have cash instead of stuff you don't need. But once you have it, unless it is really frivolous (like you own pile of vinyl records but don't like music), there isn't much point to getting rid of it; especially if it is something that might use in the future. The carrying costs are so low for most things, the only real benefit is you free up some space.

In a world where it seems you can acquire material goods at every corner store, they seem to be devalued. Back in the day, (colonial America) people use to specify who go their nails in their will. We're talking iron nails here, made by blacksmiths, so you could build your house. If you were moving, you'd tear down your house and take your nails with you.

I'm not suggesting everyone become a pack rat. But I do think that if you buy quality stuff to begin with, and it lasts a long time, there is no reason get rid of it. There may come a day when you need it, or someone you love needs it. I am reminded of the time I got my first mountain bike. I had a little huffy BMX type bike before that, and since I no longer "needed" my Huffy, I gave it to my next door neighbor. My dad was not too happy. I was too young to realize, but my cousin's family, a few years younger than me, was very poor. And he could have really used the bike, and appreciated it.

Just getting rid of something because you're not using it is like a farmer giving away his fields that are currently lying fallow. Now, if you have clutter that is of questionable value, like old issues of Scientific American, I can see getting rid of that. But clothes, that are still wearable, and that fit you, why? Reminds me of that rent your clothes thread from a while ago.

Learning to live with what you have is a better use of your time/energy, and will actually help you because you won't go acquire more stuff.

As far as simplifying your life, I think the key thing is to have goals and priorities and check back against them frequently to judge whether you are allocating your time/money/energy where you want, and re-evaluate on a regular basis to confirm those are still the things that are important to you.

d_douglas
05-15-2017, 04:00 PM
I am at heart a minimalist. My wife, however, is a nostalgic and she cant part with things. She has always been that way. We've had many fights about this and I realized long ago, that I would be divorced from my sweet lady if I did not mellow out about minimalism.

Her Mom passed away 4 years ago and her Dad about 3 months ago. We have so much of the crap that she couldn't part with sitting in our crammed basement and my blood pressure boils every few times I go down there, as I have told her that I don't want our kids cursing us when they are obliged to sift through this memorabilia/garbage when we die (I have a 5 and 7 year old). Some of it is pretty cool, and some of it is just junk, but it has memories attached to it that she cannot shake.

That said, our house is cluttered with lots of stuff from two kids who are, by nature, hoarders and a Mom who wont change. I totally support minimalism, but in an effort to have happiness rule my life, I need to reconsider priorities of clutter.

On the upside, I don't have a TV!

54ny77
05-15-2017, 04:43 PM
A lot of that sounds like telling a morbidly fat person wouldn't it be nice if they had made better choices in life!

(Other than the last sentence, of course. That's spot on. :)

Getting rid of stuff that you don't use regularly strikes me as foolish. It is one thing to say, "oh, the kids have grown up and we don't need to keep their clothes anymore." But recently, I've seen people begin to fetishize minimalism and they want to get rid of all of their stuff.

First off, it would have been better to not acquire stuff that you don't need in the first place, because then you'd have cash instead of stuff you don't need. But once you have it, unless it is really frivolous (like you own pile of vinyl records but don't like music), there isn't much point to getting rid of it; especially if it is something that might use in the future. The carrying costs are so low for most things, the only real benefit is you free up some space.

In a world where it seems you can acquire material goods at every corner store, they seem to be devalued. Back in the day, (colonial America) people use to specify who go their nails in their will. We're talking iron nails here, made by blacksmiths, so you could build your house. If you were moving, you'd tear down your house and take your nails with you.

I'm not suggesting everyone become a pack rat. But I do think that if you buy quality stuff to begin with, and it lasts a long time, there is no reason get rid of it. There may come a day when you need it, or someone you love needs it. I am reminded of the time I got my first mountain bike. I had a little huffy BMX type bike before that, and since I no longer "needed" my Huffy, I gave it to my next door neighbor. My dad was not too happy. I was too young to realize, but my cousin's family, a few years younger than me, was very poor. And he could have really used the bike, and appreciated it.

Just getting rid of something because you're not using it is like a farmer giving away his fields that are currently lying fallow. Now, if you have clutter that is of questionable value, like old issues of Scientific American, I can see getting rid of that. But clothes, that are still wearable, and that fit you, why? Reminds me of that rent your clothes thread from a while ago.

Learning to live with what you have is a better use of your time/energy, and will actually help you because you won't go acquire more stuff.

As far as simplifying your life, I think the key thing is to have goals and priorities and check back against them frequently to judge whether you are allocating your time/money/energy where you want, and re-evaluate on a regular basis to confirm those are still the things that are important to you.

BobO
05-15-2017, 05:22 PM

Agreed, it's important for people to be introspective and honest with themselves as to who they really are. Live the life that you actually want to live.

MattTuck
05-15-2017, 05:42 PM
A lot of that sounds like telling a morbidly fat person wouldn't it be nice if they had made better choices in life!

(Other than the last sentence, of course. That's spot on. :)

That wasn't my intention. :)

my point was simply that getting rid of [good, usable, functional] stuff for the sake of getting rid of stuff doesn't make sense to me. Getting rid of junk/trash/clutter that has no value, well that I am all for. And if you have a reason to get rid of stuff, (moving, running out of space, etc.) that seems logical also. If you have the space, and the stuff is functional (even if it is used rarely), it doesn't make sense to me to get rid of it.

Llewellyn
05-15-2017, 05:46 PM

my point was simply that getting rid of [good, usable, functional] stuff for the sake of getting rid of stuff doesn't make sense to me. Getting rid of junk/trash/clutter that has no value, well that I am all for. And if you have a reason to get rid of stuff, (moving, running out of space, etc.) that seems logical also. If you have the space, and the stuff is functional (even if it is used rarely), it doesn't make sense to me to get rid of it.

I didn't interpret Matt's original comment like that. I agree with a lot of what he says as well as with a lot of the other comments that have been posted in this thread.

To the OP - great topic for a thread :hello:

dustyrider
05-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Isn't the idea of a simple life just perspective. I know folks who think their life is too simple and won't be happy until they have more. The funny part is they already have more than anyone, but themselves, could ever hope for!

Personally, I've found that the less I have the more time I have for living. And that's something a lot of people forget to do while they work to acquire more.

54ny77
05-15-2017, 06:06 PM
gotcha. no offense intended!

the cool thing about this thread is the varied responses as to what "simplifying" means.

some are specifically geared towards how to deal with physical items.

others take a more holistic approach.

all of it good advice--yours too!

05-15-2017, 06:08 PM
I find it's easier to get rid of sentimental things by taking a photo of them and then getting rid of them

ceolwulf
05-15-2017, 06:21 PM

This reminds me of the article I read a while back making the argument that minimalism is essentially a lifestyle for the wealthy. If you can easily afford to replace anything you got rid of whenever you happened to actually need it again, you're all good.

jlwdm
05-15-2017, 07:38 PM
So do I. I sell real estate. I will still answer my phone and respond to txt as needed but I am using some ideas to lower that rate as well.

The most successful agent I know around here has always answered her calls etc at 2 strategic times in the day. Otherwise she could not get her work done.

I sell real estate also, at the higher end of the market, and my clients expect a high level of service and accessibility. I provide that.

Jeff

jlwdm
05-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Not really. Denver's hot, but, they never bubbled. Don't even mention Manhattan. That's not an American market, it's a place to launder foreign money and home to our great, immoral financial industry. Miami bounced back with South American and Euro money. Maybe there's a few more, but, overall, it's still a pretty warped market when about ten percent of "homeowners" are still underwater.

How about Dallas and Seattle.

My wife and her sister sold their house in Bellevue just about two years ago, and made a really nice profit. Thought they were selling at the peak of the market with Chinese buyers. 80% of the buyers that looked at their house were Chinese. They talked to their agent recently and she said now the house would sell for $1m more.

Average priced homes in lots of areas around me in DFW have 15 plus offers over full price in the first few days on the market. These are homes in the $200,000s though. Not as crazy as prices go up.

The US is a country of people living beyond their means and not saving. Spending money on all kinds of things they do not need. I wonder about this 10% of people under water. Are they people that would be under water no matter what the economy? They probably did not have adequate money down or money in the bank to cover financial problems.

Jeff

Ken Robb
05-15-2017, 08:02 PM
I find it's easier to get rid of sentimental things by taking a photo of them and then getting rid of them

That must be why so many of have photos of ex-spouses. :D

05-15-2017, 08:05 PM
That must be why so many of have photos of ex-spouses. :D

:rolleyes: hahaha

jlwdm
05-15-2017, 08:06 PM

I'm not suggesting everyone become a pack rat. But I do think that if you buy quality stuff to begin with, and it lasts a long time, there is no reason get rid of it...

..But clothes, that are still wearable, and that fit you, why? Reminds me of that rent your clothes thread from a while ago.

Sure it would be better not to acquire stuff you don't need in the first place. You don't always know how well you are going to like something until you have it for a while. It becomes even more difficult when you are buying items on the internet and don't get to touch them.

Even if you buy quality stuff some of it will have no value after a while.

I am always going to get rid of clothes that fit and are wearable if I don't feel great in them. Even if you have room there is no use having things around that you are not going to use as they take up energy even if you are not using them.

Jeff

stephenmarklay
05-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Isn't the idea of a simple life just perspective. I know folks who think their life is too simple and won't be happy until they have more. The funny part is they already have more than anyone, but themselves, could ever hope for!

Personally, I've found that the less I have the more time I have for living. And that's something a lot of people forget to do while they work to acquire more.

This is a big part of it. The other part is having less I am buying freedom. That is I get to spend my limited resources on doing not having.

stephenmarklay
05-15-2017, 08:58 PM

I get what you are saying. I am looking really big picture. I am 48 tomorrow and by 58 I want to be able to pack my bag and leave for a month or two or three. Not “retire” but be more mobile.

So getting the mechanics down will help me.

stephenmarklay
05-15-2017, 09:03 PM
I sell real estate also, at the higher end of the market, and my clients expect a high level of service and accessibility. I provide that.

Jeff

I get it. Although, I would argue the lower end of the market requires more attention.

Real estate is hands on for sure. That is why I am going work on some “other” things so real estate is not my only source of income and preferably not the dominant source. It is a great business. My wife is a loan officer and we do more a lot of our deals together which is great.

Having said that I don’t want to be as hands on at some point.

pdmtong
05-15-2017, 10:32 PM
Material things. Stuff. Ok...here it is.

Everything you own can fit into these categories.

1) initial acquisition.
you never had one/it before. so you bought it. first time. congrats.

2) upgrade.
you want a better one. so you replace your old one.

3) replicate.
one is not enough. so now you get more. as in a custom seven for each vacation home you own. and the LBS delivers it for you. (true story)

if you can control each of these three phases, you will end up with a lot less stuff.

pdmtong
05-15-2017, 10:35 PM

I feel differently. There is no point in keeping something you MIGHT use if you can donate it to someone who WILL use it.

That frees your place from clutter, and prevents the new owner form buying something when they could re-purpose something. it's better all around IMHO

cat6
05-16-2017, 12:07 AM
Cut cable to save money but more importantly time.

Pay off debt especially credit cards.

Once debt is paid off keep it that way. Try and save regularly once you're debt free.

Do these things and you'll have a lot more time and money.

Ride your bike.

stephenmarklay
05-16-2017, 06:11 AM
One thing I am going to do moving forward is to buy higher quality things.

In the long run spending more money up front on something that lasts longer or is rebuildable (better yet) makes sense to me.

05-16-2017, 08:09 AM

In the long run spending more money up front on something that lasts longer or is rebuildable (better yet) makes sense to me.
So true! Buying a higher quality thing not only out lasts and saves money, but ensures you have a possession that brings you joy

SoCalSteve
05-16-2017, 09:44 AM

In 1999 I bought a Rolex Submariner for about $3k ( much more than a Timex ). I still own this watch and still get great joy in wearing it. Oh, it's worth much more now as well. I didn't buy it as an investment, but it's a nice perk.

Drmojo
05-16-2017, 10:29 AM

If someone liked a shirt I was wearing, wold give it to them. It frees you from attachment to things---you don't own stuff--it OWNS you!

BobO
05-16-2017, 12:04 PM

The other thing is that if you're honest with yourself, who you are, how you live you can make major purchases more wisely. I have had the same car for eighteen years because I like the car, I like driving it, I like owning it. I see no need for having another car because this one is what I need and want. The same is true with homes, bikes, furniture, etc.

d_douglas
05-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Here's a bike related conundrum: I own a special Speedvagen that was entirely built by Sacha (so I guess its a Vanilla?) It is a 2010 model that was fillet-brazed as a special request.

Like many people here, I constantly lust for new bikes. I dream about owning a disc'd Crumpton or Calfee or Kirk. However, every time I ride my Speedvagen, I cannot imagine why I would need a better bike and it is a constant source of questioning for me. If I were to buy one of my dream bikes, I would have to sell this bike and I wonder whether it is worth it. For now, the simpler route is to not do anything (well, that AND the fact that I would need to shell out another $5k minimum to acquire any one of those bikes).

My point is that doing nothing and accepting what I have (which is very nice at any rate) frees me from the wasted energy thinking about my 'next bike' and spend more time just riding my bike. As my wife reminds me, if I spend less time on the Paceline and more time pedalling, I wouldn't post questions about how to lose 20lbs - and she is completely correct.

All hail simplicity!

d_douglas
05-16-2017, 01:10 PM
The other thing is that if you're honest with yourself, who you are, how you live you can make major purchases more wisely. I have had the same car for eighteen years because I like the car, I like driving it, I like owning it. I see no need for having another car because this one is what I need and want. The same is true with homes, bikes, furniture, etc.

I agree. A friend of mine just bought a nice Hyundai Elantra as her first new car. Soon after she bought it, she said she regretted not spending $10k more and buying the Volvo she really wanted because then she would drive it for an 20 years vs wanting to replace her Hyundai in 10 years.

I agree with her, and while I will likely never own a new car, I will always prefer to drive 'better quality' cars due to the fact that I want to keep them longer. The investment pays off up front and simplifies your life, I think.

Mind you, I drive an old beaten Toyota Highlander, but it works great and I paid for it in cash!

BobO
05-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Mind you, I drive an old beaten Toyota Highlander, but it works great and I paid for it in cash!

There can be a lot of satisfaction to be found in maintaining your own stuff with your own hands. :) It's not always about that initial quality, it's about the qualities that each individual values.

d_douglas
05-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Thank you, but I know nothing about cars! A shop maintains it.

I also think about buying a new car (likely a Toyota minivan to support our child-centric lifestyle) but my wife reminds me that we should just drive the Highlander until it doesn't drive no more. It has several bumps and scratches and lots of muddy boot prints inside that will never come out, so what is the point in trying to sell off a reliable car for $4k only to buy something worth $15k and have it beaten up as well?

One reason is for the joy of owning something new, but I have succeeded in defeating that urge thus far.

our neighbour across the street has four cars and two motorcycles for himself and his wife - all high end stuff. I don't get it. They have two small kids like us and he pulls out his Porsche every few weeks for a spin, then covers it up. Cars are too expensive and maintenance-heavy to use as a hobby in my opinion.

pdmtong
05-16-2017, 01:39 PM

this would be true for most things but definitely not true for electronics. the only reason to pay top dollar for top end electronics is if you have extra cash to burn.

way back when I knew a guy with TWO 40" plasmas...when they were $10k each. of course those are now $300 at Best Buy....

stephenmarklay
05-16-2017, 01:52 PM

Agreed. I think we spend more time wondering what other people think of our choices rather than how WE feel about them.

stephenmarklay
05-16-2017, 01:53 PM
this would be true for most things but definitely not true for electronics. the only reason to pay top dollar for top end electronics is if you have extra cash to burn.

way back when I knew a guy with TWO 40" plasmas...when they were $10k each. of course those are now $300 at Best Buy....

True. They are all equivalently disposable.

jlwdm
05-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Or if you really enjoy high end audio (or video).

Jeff

kppolich
05-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Simplifying can mean different things to different people. To me it meant reducing clutter in my home and figuring out what I really wanted to do in life on a daily basis. I started by writing down 10 goals with time completion estimates on a piece of paper and carried it around daily to remind myself what I classified as important. With that came more effective budgeting, selling of excess bike stuff, cleaning out closets and donating clothes and finally deleting PayPal and eBay. Over spending or hoarding had never been a problem of mine by the sheer convenience of PayPal and eBay were always too tempting. I also changed my bookmarks for this site to go to the general forum instead of the classifieds. Now- I'm saving a little more, riding bikes appropriate to my ability and riding goals and focusing on my career more in terms of what I really want to do everyday. I'm doing this now at 29 so I don't look back and regret a job oven kept because it was easy for 20 years. The goal setting has helped keep my ambitions fresh and motivation high. All of that and living in a 400sq ft studio apartment has really made life easy. No chores, easy clean up, debt free, cheap living with more time to run and ride bikes instead of constantly upgrading bike parts.

BobO
05-16-2017, 03:57 PM

I also think about buying a new car (likely a Toyota minivan to support our child-centric lifestyle) but my wife reminds me that we should just drive the Highlander until it doesn't drive no more. It has several bumps and scratches and lots of muddy boot prints inside that will never come out, so what is the point in trying to sell off a reliable car for $4k only to buy something worth $15k and have it beaten up as well?

One reason is for the joy of owning something new, but I have succeeded in defeating that urge thus far.

our neighbour across the street has four cars and two motorcycles for himself and his wife - all high end stuff. I don't get it. They have two small kids like us and he pulls out his Porsche every few weeks for a spin, then covers it up. Cars are too expensive and maintenance-heavy to use as a hobby in my opinion.

That's the thing, we're all different in our own ways. I like working on cars, you do not, both are equally valid points of view. Which is why I say that it's important to be introspective and honest with yourself. That is where happiness lies.

jlwdm
05-16-2017, 04:55 PM
That's the thing, we're all different in our own ways. I like working on cars, you do not, both are equally valid points of view. Which is why I say that it's important to be introspective and honest with yourself. That is where happiness lies.

In the items I just moved from AZ was a tool box with multiple socket sets. Something I will probably never use again (don't work on cars) - time to find someone who will use them.

Jeff

jlwdm
05-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Simplifying can mean different things to different people. To me it meant reducing clutter in my home and figuring out what I really wanted to do in life on a daily basis....

... All of that and living in a 400sq ft studio apartment has really made life easy. No chores, easy clean up, debt free, cheap living with more time to run and ride bikes instead of constantly upgrading bike parts.

After I moved to TX I had hefty housing expenses in AZ and my wife stayed in AZ so for over two years I lived in 228 sq ft weekly extended stay location with utilities included. I had not saved enough for retirement so I worked obscene hours (for myself so it was fine) and rode my bike primarily at night. I rode 5000-6000 miles a year for those two years and saved an obscene amount of money. I was totally focused on work and riding. No distractions. Life was so simple as I did not have to worry about paying utilities, cleaning house or watching TV - there was only about a 16 inch screen.

Jeff

stephenmarklay
05-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Or if you really enjoy high end audio (or video).

Jeff

Funny enough I have in the past had high end audio and I still have some little speakers I love.

Having said that I think part of the enjoyment if not most of it was the stuff rather than the listening.

Now I think I will just get a stream unit and the speakers

Mr. Pink
05-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Good bet he/they have zero saved for retirement, like most Americans. Soon to be that sad guy driving the old beat up Porsche with a bad exhaust, which screams, glory days long past.
Autos are the new sub prime housing. Almost anybody can walk into a dealer and drive out the same day, and, you can tell, that's happening a lot. I just drove across the country this winter on a very long ski trip, and the amount of brand new and factory tricked up big pickup trucks I saw was stunning. Those things are now in the 50-60000 dollar range! A pickup truck! And, most are really clean and shiny, so, you know they aren't being used for much else than driving back and forth to cube jobs in suburbia and shopping on the weekend. Meanwhile, half of Boomers will only have SS to live on. What a country.

ceolwulf
05-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Good bet he/they have zero saved for retirement, like most Americans. Soon to be that sad guy driving the old beat up Porsche with a bad exhaust, which screams, glory days long past.
Autos are the new sub prime housing. Almost anybody can walk into a dealer and drive out the same day, and, you can tell, that's happening a lot. I just drove across the country this winter on a very long ski trip, and the amount of brand new and factory tricked up big pickup trucks I saw was stunning. Those things are now in the 50-60000 dollar range! A pickup truck! And, most are really clean and shiny, so, you know they aren't being used for much else than driving back and forth to cube jobs in suburbia and shopping on the weekend. Meanwhile, half of Boomers will only have SS to live on. What a country.

A $60k pickup here means you're only moderately successful.

The fully fully fully loaded F-150 (and I don't mean with cargo, they never see a speck of dust in the box) is the biggest status symbol you can get around here.

You're allowed to swap it for a Corvette (convertible, automatic, apparently with 30km/h speed limiter) if you're retired though. (And managed not to spend everything on your pickup.)

Mr. Pink
05-17-2017, 03:20 PM

You'll have to explain to me how spending that sort of money on such a thing signifies "success".

Anarchist
05-17-2017, 04:21 PM

The fully fully fully loaded F-150 (and I don't mean with cargo, they never see a speck of dust in the box) is the biggest status symbol you can get around here.

You're allowed to swap it for a Corvette (convertible, automatic, apparently with 30km/h speed limiter) if you're retired though. (And managed not to spend everything on your pickup.)

F150?

Geezus, you're nothing around here unless it's the F350 King Ranch, Full crew cab, Power stroke diesel and jacked up the stars.

At least you can hear them coming. Unlike those damn Prius thingies.

fuzzalow
05-17-2017, 04:40 PM

You'll have to explain to me how spending that sort of money on such a thing signifies "success".

Gotta laugh, "success" embodied in the purchasing power to procure a truck! YeeHaaaw!

In fairness, that truck may well signify success in some degree if it was purchased by writing a check for the full amount and stopping by in a day or two to drive away in a new truck. Any social climber taking on debt to buy a motor vehicle is a nobody.

Mr. Pink
05-17-2017, 04:51 PM
Spending 60 grand on a gussied up pickup truck is not social climbing in my hood, even if it's cash. Maybe, especially if it's cash. I mean, what a silly thing to do with that chunk of change. All in on an asset that will eventually go to zero. Much smarter to buy a very capable machine for 25 grand or even less on credit at today's very low interest rates, and put the rest in a low cost mix of stocks and bonds, indexed. I know today was a bad day, but, history proves over the long run that you'll be much better off in ten years than pickup cowboy.

AngryScientist
05-17-2017, 04:54 PM
haha. expensive cars are absolutely no longer status symbols as far as i'm concerned.

around these NYC suburb parts, its definitely NOT uncommon to find "kids" well into their 30's who drive 60+ thousand dollar mercedes and BMWs and live in mommy's basement.

it's easy to make a car payment on a 60k lease if it's your only bill.

well, that and the cell phone. gotta have those insta pics of said BMW!

fuzzalow
05-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Spending 60 grand on a gussied up pickup truck is not social climbing in my hood, even if it's cash. Maybe, especially if it's cash. I mean, what a silly thing to do with that chunk of change. All in on an asset that will eventually go to zero. Much smarter to buy a very capable machine for 25 grand or even less on credit at today's very low interest rates, and put the rest in a low cost mix of stocks and bonds, indexed. I know today was a bad day, but, history proves over the long run that you'll be much better off in ten years than pickup cowboy.

I agree with you but I was viewing "success" within the context of how it might play out to some boob who actually thinks there's status to be attained in driving a fancy truck.

You're talkin' like an adult here and in the vast wasteland of consumerism what you're sayin' falls on deaf ears. The marketing guys come up with more flattering self imagery for a consumer to buy into and the public seems to go along with it. For example the car companies sell performance that is great but the average boob hasn't a clue of what they're doing behind the wheel anyway. But if they can sell you a car, it's all fair game.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ww2Q/infiniti-spring-event-driving-test. The commercial ends with a positive stroke saying "Nicely done". Yeah, in your dreams. But give 'em the fantasy and they'll do whatever you want. That's not upward mobility. That is not simplifying your life. That's getting played for a sucker.

jlwdm
05-17-2017, 05:13 PM

I have no problem with people spending money on things they enjoy. Everything does not need to be an investment. No reason to look at everything as an investment and not enjoy life and then die with a lot of money. There needs to be a balance.

Jeff

ceolwulf
05-17-2017, 05:52 PM
We humans are indeed a fortunate species. The peacock can't just go buy a new tail :) (and especially not on credit)

Mr. Pink
05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
I agree with you but I was viewing "success" within the context of how it might play out to some boob who actually thinks there's status to be attained in driving a fancy truck.

You're talkin' like an adult here and in the vast wasteland of consumerism what you're sayin' falls on deaf ears. The marketing guys come up with more flattering self imagery for a consumer to buy into and the public seems to go along with it. For example the car companies sell performance that is great but the average boob hasn't a clue of what they're doing behind the wheel anyway. But if they can sell you a car, it's all fair game.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ww2Q/infiniti-spring-event-driving-test. The commercial ends with a positive stroke saying "Nicely done". Yeah, in your dreams. But give 'em the fantasy and they'll do whatever you want. That's not upward mobility. That is not simplifying your life. That's getting played for a sucker.

I know that this is a delicate subject, but, this is a big reason we have such an awful person as our leader. He's actually considered a good businessman by millions. Sad.

Yeah, I'm always offended by this type of advertising that you bring up. That commercial running now just makes me wanna shout, ***? It sends so many bad messages in such a short time. Besides, imagine actually doing that in a drivers test. Please. Who is the target market in that ad? Kids? They aren't buying cars, anyway, especially overpriced and over marketed bloated Japanese sedans.
I live and bike in a very upscale place in America. I am passed by very exotic machinery all the time. I always wonder, what's the point? Are you actually going to use those 600 hp? Hell, I was driving across Ohio a few months ago and got nailed for 78 in a 70 zone in a Subaru Forester! Imagine trying to stretch out a BMW M3 or any Porsche. Especially if it's red and you put a stupid loud exhaust on it. So much money wasted in a silly way. I guess it's cool if you're a billionaire, but, c'mon, most aren't. Hardly.

Pastashop
05-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Marie Kondo: The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. It's a bit overboard at times, but the techniques and main message I found very useful.

Then again, there was this paper published recently that talked about the rise of stoicism being correlated with the decline of a society...

jlwdm
05-17-2017, 08:14 PM
I know that this is a delicate subject, but, this is a big reason we have such an awful person as our leader. He's actually considered a good businessman by millions. Sad.

Yeah, I'm always offended by this type of advertising that you bring up. That commercial running now just makes me wanna shout, ***? It sends so many bad messages in such a short time. Besides, imagine actually doing that in a drivers test. Please. Who is the target market in that ad? Kids? They aren't buying cars, anyway, especially overpriced and over marketed bloated Japanese sedans.
I live and bike in a very upscale place in America. I am passed by very exotic machinery all the time. I always wonder, what's the point? Are you actually going to use those 600 hp? Hell, I was driving across Ohio a few months ago and got nailed for 78 in a 70 zone in a Subaru Forester! Imagine trying to stretch out a BMW M3 or any Porsche. Especially if it's red and you put a stupid loud exhaust on it. So much money wasted in a silly way. I guess it's cool if you're a billionaire, but, c'mon, most aren't. Hardly.

No politics please!

Same analogy with bikes then? Why do so many members on the forum need expensive frames, groups and wheels?

Jeff

Mr. Pink
05-17-2017, 08:37 PM
No politics please!

Same analogy with bikes then? Why do so many members on the forum need expensive frames, groups and wheels?

Jeff

Pretty much. I was fortunate enough to be introduced to road riding by a very strong and experienced rider that was always quite skeptical of new, expensive stuff. Kinda ridiculous to see older, overweight people on super expensive bikes. Now, that's what took Serotta down, right? The average schlub could no longer borrow on the house for a high teens cabon fiber super duper machine. Now they settle for middle of the road, and, you know, they're probably having a good time, right?

54ny77
05-17-2017, 10:31 PM
Oh yeah, totally.

Kinda ridiculous to see older, overweight people on super expensive bikes.

stephenmarklay
05-18-2017, 06:54 AM
Oh yeah, totally.

When I see this, along with the specialized team kit or whatever, I know it is less about the experience and more about the statement. That is fine just not for me.

54ny77
05-18-2017, 07:34 AM
I was being facetious. :beer:

Mr. Pink is just enthusiastic about his demonstably superior abilities. To ride skinny-tired bikes. And wear skin tight lycra clothing. Outside, amongst the public. But clearly not on the pro circuit, where guys who actually are very good, get paid to do that sort of thing. :banana:

I used to be skinny, broke, 1 bike, and getting thru college.

Now I'm old, fat, and have more bikes than makes sense.

It gives me pleasure to tinker with them, and get 'em out on the road when I can.

And if I saw Mr. Pink on the road, I'd wave hi if going the opposite direction. But he'd be laughing at me so I guess I won't get a wave back.

When I see this, along with the specialized team kit or whatever, I know it is less about the experience and more about the statement. That is fine just not for me.