PDA

View Full Version : Replacement hub cartridge bearings

NHAero
05-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Whose products are recommended, and where do you buy them?
Thanks!

MagicHour
05-13-2017, 11:57 AM
I put Phil Woods in my Wheels at the end of last season - bought on eBay from a reputable seller. But they sell them everywhere online. Perfect so far.

Also WheelsMFG sells them, and various tools and drifts for pressing bearings too.
http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bearings/hub-bearings.html

El Chaba
05-13-2017, 12:07 PM
I usually search for whomever sells genuine SKF bearings in the size in question....That usually prevents them from ever having to be replaced again....

NHAero
05-13-2017, 03:47 PM
SKF seem to be offered mostly be overseas sellers.
Are the ubiquitous Enduro bearings to be avoided?

moobikes
05-13-2017, 04:56 PM
In my experience, the SKF bearings that MAVIC uses for their wheels are the best/ smoothest, most durable. I don't know if MAVIC still use SKF, but if you can find those, in the sizes you need, go for it.
Otherwise, genuine SKF high grade bearings are my choice.

Durability also depends on how well your hub shields its bearings from water and grit, and how well everything is aligned. In a poorly made hub, that exposes bearings to water and grit, even the best bearings will quickly die.

Peter P.
05-13-2017, 04:57 PM
I think most any cartridge bearing would be fine, although I second a vote for Phil Wood.

If you can't get Phil Wood's, at least take the bearings you get and gently pry the shield off one side, and completely fill the bearing with grease. Minimal greasing is the greatest shortcoming of most bearings. Use the sharpened end of a paperclip and you should be fine without damaging the seal.

NHAero
05-13-2017, 05:19 PM
I have read elsewhere that WI uses shielded rather than sealed cartridge bearings, to minimize the seal drag. The hubs I just bought used on eBay look fine but the front bearings are rough and the rear is much better but certainly not as smooth as the hubs on my Anderson. I'm thinking to swap out on both hubs with new and to make sure they are sealed rather than shielded.

That's good advice about the grease, thanks!

I think most any cartridge bearing would be fine, although I second a vote for Phil Wood.

If you can't get Phil Wood's, at least take the bearings you get and gently pry the shield off one side, and completely fill the bearing with grease. Minimal greasing is the greatest shortcoming of most bearings. Use the sharpened end of a paperclip and you should be fine without damaging the seal.

shovelhd
05-14-2017, 07:06 AM
I usually look for ABEC-5 rated bearings. I recently got the replacement bearings and freehub for my Novatec hubs from BDop in Taiwan. I've also used Boca Bearings and VXB, which are in the USA. It all depends who has what in stock at what price. Boca makes a simple, inexpensive bearing press.

oldpotatoe
05-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Whose products are recommended, and where do you buy them?
Thanks!

Wheels Manufacturing

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bearings.html

NHAero
05-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Please say more about choosing ABEC-5 vs. ABEC-3. At 20 mph, a 700C wheel is rotating at about 250 rpm. Does the bearing precision make a measurable difference at those speeds?

I usually look for ABEC-5 rated bearings. I recently got the replacement bearings and freehub for my Novatec hubs from BDop in Taiwan. I've also used Boca Bearings and VXB, which are in the USA. It all depends who has what in stock at what price. Boca makes a simple, inexpensive bearing press.

Fatty
05-14-2017, 10:37 AM
I put Phil Woods in my Wheels at the end of last season - bought on eBay from a reputable seller. But they sell them everywhere online. Perfect so far.

Also WheelsMFG sells them, and various tools and drifts for pressing bearings too.
http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bearings/hub-bearings.html

Second for wheels for bearings and the correct drifts. They also staff an 800 number if you feel like talking to a real person.

NHAero
05-14-2017, 11:06 AM
In the past on non-bike projects I've made up my own bearing tools from sockets and threaded rod. Any reason to not continue that approach? It may take a bit longer but I'm not aiming for production quantities ;)

shovelhd
05-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Please say more about choosing ABEC-5 vs. ABEC-3. At 20 mph, a 700C wheel is rotating at about 250 rpm. Does the bearing precision make a measurable difference at those speeds?

It' not the precision, it's the materials. The cheaper bearings use chrome plated balls and races. The corrosive winter road treatments used here in the Northeast will kill them off. It attacks the plating, the chrome detaches, and the bearing is junk. ABEC-5 bearings are generally stainless throughout. They don't roll as fast, but they last longer.

shovelhd
05-14-2017, 12:36 PM
In the past on non-bike projects I've made up my own bearing tools from sockets and threaded rod. Any reason to not continue that approach? It may take a bit longer but I'm not aiming for production quantities ;)

That can work just fine. Just realize that hub bearings can be small, and metric. The OD of your mandrel needs to be just big enough to avoid pressing on the seal, but small enough to fit inside the OD of the bearing. On front hubs, there may be 1mm to play with. I chose not to mess around with that and buy a cheap bearing press that has calibrated mandrels.

Mark McM
05-15-2017, 10:32 AM
It' not the precision, it's the materials. The cheaper bearings use chrome plated balls and races. The corrosive winter road treatments used here in the Northeast will kill them off. It attacks the plating, the chrome detaches, and the bearing is junk. ABEC-5 bearings are generally stainless throughout. They don't roll as fast, but they last longer.

I don't think any bearings are chrome plated. I think you are confusing chrome plating with chromium alloy steel. Chromium steel if very hard and long wearing - but as you imply, it is prone to corrosion. On the other hand, stainless steel is more corrosion resistant, but it is not has hard, and therefore it has a lower load rating.

ABEC tolerances and material (chromium steel vs. stainless steel) are independent. For example, but Enduro and Wheels Manufacturing sell ABEC-3 stainless steel bearings, and there are plenty of ABEC-5 chromium steel bearings available.

shovelhd
05-15-2017, 11:44 AM
I don't think any bearings are chrome plated. I think you are confusing chrome plating with chromium alloy steel. Chromium steel if very hard and long wearing - but as you imply, it is prone to corrosion. On the other hand, stainless steel is more corrosion resistant, but it is not has hard, and therefore it has a lower load rating.

ABEC tolerances and material (chromium steel vs. stainless steel) are independent. For example, but Enduro and Wheels Manufacturing sell ABEC-3 stainless steel bearings, and there are plenty of ABEC-5 chromium steel bearings available.

There's plenty of bearings available in any combination of materials. I was referring to the small subset of bearings generally used in bicycle hubs. And I've seen bearings with chrome plated balls and races. I've taken them apart, and that's what I found. Cheap junk.