PDA

View Full Version : Inline Barrel Adjusters: any that aren't cheap & ugly?

gpendergast
05-12-2017, 09:05 PM
On my spare-parts bike I have two shorter sections of Yokozuna housing connected with an Avid inline barrel adjuster. While functionally it does the job, it looks... like everything I don't like about modern component manufacturing.

Does anyone make a brass version? I'm thinking something that looks like these Kirk (http://kirkframeworks.com/models-and-accessories/brass-derailleur-adjusters/) downtube cable stops; classy, less likely to seize up, etc.

I figure with the level of precision on most of the builds around here, someone will have at least considered this idea before. I've been looking for a number of years but never encountered anything I liked the quality of.

Thanks!

DavidC
05-13-2017, 01:00 AM
I'm afraid I don't have a solution, but rather a broadening of the question: I have used a lot of sram and jagwire inline adjusters, and none seem to work well at all. They get stuck rather easily, and don't adjust! Anybody have any to recommend, regardless of price, that just work?

aki
05-13-2017, 03:00 AM
I use Dia-Compe Flexie. It comes with a flexible noodle, but you can throw away that part and just use the adjuster as an inline adjuster.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2017, 03:47 AM
On my spare-parts bike I have two shorter sections of Yokozuna housing connected with an Avid inline barrel adjuster. While functionally it does the job, it looks... like everything I don't like about modern component manufacturing.

Does anyone make a brass version? I'm thinking something that looks like these Kirk (http://kirkframeworks.com/models-and-accessories/brass-derailleur-adjusters/) downtube cable stops; classy, less likely to seize up, etc.

I figure with the level of precision on most of the builds around here, someone will have at least considered this idea before. I've been looking for a number of years but never encountered anything I liked the quality of.

Thanks!

That bike with bar end shifter for the front der? Don't need it..make the cable tight, go ride. About the only front der/shifter that really needs an adjuster is 11s shimano and not even then with the new front der.

aki
05-13-2017, 03:57 AM
Somehow I thought that is for the brake cable. Sorry for the misinformation.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jc031699
05-13-2017, 08:02 AM

Thanks!

AICAN Light Bike Inline Barrel Index Adjuster Shift Vs Jagwire Shimano (Gray) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016LQA9W0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gpWfzbFMW3K9V

ultraman6970
05-13-2017, 08:17 AM
I do agree with potato, I do not think you need those things.

kingpin75s
05-13-2017, 08:51 AM
I have been down this rabbit hole as I was unhappy with the commercial ones available.

I have been using these for the past 5 years and have them on a number of bikes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inline-Cable-Adjuster-Indexed-Great-for-Touring-Cyclocross-GravelGrinder-NEW-/112383822114?hash=item1a2a990922:g:6L4AAOSwTA9X6EV X

They seem to work well. This seller has them much of the time, but not always available.

Ralph
05-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Don't use them on double or triple road bike. Have a barrel adjuster on RD, and for FD, put derailleur cage against chain, pull cable tight with fingers, then back cage away from chain....presto....tight front cable.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Don't use them on double or triple road bike. Have a barrel adjuster on RD, and for FD, put derailleur cage against chain, pull cable tight with fingers, then back cage away from chain....presto....tight front cable.

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!

Tony T
05-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Not brass, but classy!:
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server4400/ox79uhj/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/37476/94402/campagnolo_inline_cable_adjuster__63760.1477327271 .JPG?c=2

gpendergast
05-13-2017, 09:41 AM
That bike with bar end shifter for the front der? Don't need it..make the cable tight, go ride. About the only front der/shifter that really needs an adjuster is 11s shimano and not even then with the new front der.

Yup you are 100% right and normally I'd run without. I got these short lengths of Yokozuna on closeout from Merry Sales way back when and am too cheap to buy a whole kit just to fix one housing run ;)

DavidC
05-13-2017, 09:46 AM

Do you "put derailleur cage against chain" by changing limit screw, then "back cage away from chain" by changing limit screw back?

dgauthier
05-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Yup you are 100% right and normally I'd run without. I got these short lengths of Yokozuna on closeout from Merry Sales way back when and am too cheap to buy a whole kit just to fix one housing run ;)

So wait...are you saying you're using a barrel adjuster to connect two short pieces of housing because you don't want to buy some derailleur housing that's long enough? And you're annoyed because it looks cheap and ugly?

The solution, dear gpendergast, is obvious.

gpendergast
05-13-2017, 10:05 AM
So wait...are you saying you're using a barrel adjuster to connect two short pieces of housing because you don't want to buy some derailleur housing that's long enough? And you're annoyed because it looks cheap and ugly?

The solution, dear gpendergast, is obvious.

Haha, fair enough good sir!

cinema
05-13-2017, 10:09 AM
hehe... ive done it before cause i didn't want to unwrap, recable, and rewrap potentially having to buy new tape.
it's a suitable solution for non-princess bikes. I actually just used an avid adjuster that was already broken! just needed the housing extension.

CiclistiCliff
05-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Get housing couplers. They come in 4 and 5mm

Ralph
05-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Do you "put derailleur cage against chain" by changing limit screw, then "back cage away from chain" by changing limit screw back?

Yes

Black Dog
05-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Get housing couplers. They come in 4 and 5mm

And there you go. Good idea.

gpendergast
05-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Great idea, thanks CiclistiCliff!