PDA

View Full Version : flying your bike/box

deechee
08-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi,

My gf is going to Switzerland with her bike in two weeks, and she wanted to send it by mail (she has a number of stopovers and then a train ride to Lausanne). But we've been looking around and the fees are ridiculous... any suggestions? any services you know of that specifically send bikes for competitions overseas? (we're in Montreal)

Also, we're pretty set on packing the bike in a cardboard bike box (navigating bags and that trico hard case was a major pain) but anyone strongly opposed?

thanks,
deechee

A.L.Breguet
08-21-2006, 05:52 PM
I've gone back and forth to Switzerland a couple times with my bike in a Bike Pro bag. I flew Swiss and they let me take it for no extra charge(business class) until my last flight back to the U.S. when I was charged chf150.
I saw several bikes in cardboard boxes that looked to have made the trip safely, but I think it is a crap shoot. I think the only really safe container is one of those dedicated hard cases. Good luck fitting a box of any kind into a cab, though. :rolleyes:

stevep
08-21-2006, 06:29 PM
ive always used a regular cardboard bike box with never any problems.
you can flatten it at the end and fit it into a car...and retape it when you want to leave.
sometimes they seem to charge and sometimes they dont. but they are supposed to ..i am sure of that.

Johnnyg
08-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Deechee, I fly to Europe quite often and use a soft case by Bike Pro with no problems. They are easy to move around and fold down when not in use. I would not use a cardboard box but that's just me. I've never been charged extra but some friends have? Good luck and ride safe. JohnnyG

scottie
08-22-2006, 03:01 AM
I travel at least twice a month with work and generally take my legend with me. I usually cram everything into a profile design bike box which cost me barely anything and I've never once had an issue with anything other than a scratch due to my poor packing skills. Carboard boxes are fine for a single flight but:
*no taxi will take them unless they are a minivan
*they are pretty much worthless after the flight and quite often they throw them quite badly and destroy them
*they are a complate PITA to drag around, and I really stress this point, it's horrible, no wheels, no love!

Get a cheap hardcase like the profile one and save the stress!!!!
Enjoy the trip!
Cheers,
Scottie.

deechee
08-22-2006, 10:24 AM
thanks for all the replies - I told my gf to try to borrow a trico case from some friends of ours. She's now wondering if she can rent any decent bikes in Switzerland... I'll start another thread... thanks again! I'm so happy I don't have to fly my bike anywhere :P

Gothard
08-22-2006, 10:47 AM
For reference, I am flying home in september, and British Airways wants 100 Can$ per bike as extra luggage.

sg8357
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
I have traveled half boxless a couple times. Flown over on a European line, they don't charge for the bike. Build the bike at the airport, toss the box.
On the way back you can often fly without the box, I do remove the chain (sram), rear derailer, computers etc. Bike got back both times with only one
scratch. Boxless is very easy for the luggage guys to handle, plus the bike doesn't stack well without the box. Bike was a Riv Atlantis, a pretty stout ride.

Scott G.

deechee
08-22-2006, 01:07 PM
you're not joking? you just hand them the bike - unpacked/unprotected? wow...

sg8357
08-22-2006, 01:40 PM
you're not joking? you just hand them the bike - unpacked/unprotected? wow...

Yup, the baggage guy wheeled the bike away, watched them walk the bike up the baggage conveyor into the hold. The boxes and luggage were tossed on the conveyor.

Scott G.