PDA

View Full Version : Campy pointy hoods for Jan

KJMUNC
05-12-2017, 08:55 AM
I never noticed this before but saw a pic on Instagram today that surprised me: in the 2003 TdF, Ullrich was riding pointy hood Record shifters with carbon blades! Assume this is because he was so used to the old shape, as 10spd came out in 2000 IIRC. Anybody else remember that??

File that under "learned more useless cycling trivia today" :banana:

oldpotatoe
05-12-2017, 08:57 AM
I never noticed this before but saw a pic on Instagram today that surprised me: in the 2003 TdF, Ullrich was riding pointy hood Record shifters with carbon blades! Assume this is because he was so used to the old shape, as 10spd came out in 2000 IIRC. Anybody else remember that??

File that under "learned more useless cycling trivia today" :banana:

Yup, he preferred pointy hood ERGO so even tho the rest of thw world had rounded top starting in 1998, Jan had Campag make him some pointy top ones, even 10s. No it's not hard, just have to machine the 'flats' of the shift disc to accept the pointy top thru bolt..

AngryScientist
05-12-2017, 08:57 AM
it almost looks like there is a black handled downtube shifter on that bike, but that must be the bottle cage?

sure those levers are carbon and not painted alloy?

ColonelJLloyd
05-12-2017, 08:59 AM
Aren't those Modolo Morphos?

oldpotatoe
05-12-2017, 09:00 AM
it almost looks like there is a black handled downtube shifter on that bike, but that must be the bottle cage?

sure those levers are carbon and not painted alloy?

Might have been, more than a few used the LH DT shifter..like Pantani and even LA-7.

Pic from Pro's Closet..no, they don't have a pair, just a pic.

keevon
05-12-2017, 09:15 AM
I remember a VN article from waaaaay back:
http://www.velonews.com/2001/07/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech-talk-ullrichs-superlight-ride-updated-text_1272

Like Armstrong, Ullrich uses a down-tube front shifter to save 100 grams in parts and cable length in the mountains. He not only does not have a shifter in his left brake lever, but both levers are also completely unique. Both brake levers have Campagnolo Record carbon lever blades made for 10-speed ErgoPower, but the lever bodies are the older 8-speed ErgoPower style. The Olympic road champion prefers the shape of the 8-speed levers, the hoods of which come to a sharp point on top as opposed to the rounded knob atop the 9- and 10-speed levers. The carbon lever blades have a reverse curve near the top instead of the single continuous curve of the 8-speed blade, so they look a little odd and don’t fit quite flush against the body at their top edge. The left Ergopower shifter blade and its mechanism have been removed, while 10-speed guts have been installed in the right lever.

Dave B
05-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Not relevant, but I always wanted one of those record sets with the red logo and stiffer spring.

thirdgenbird
05-12-2017, 09:17 AM
I ride pointy 10spd levers. I went with silver levers to match the group. Carbon brake blades takes a bit of trimming.

KJMUNC
05-12-2017, 11:14 AM
I knew OP would have this one nailed.

Funny thing is I swapped my pointy hoods for rounded hood 9spd on my Lemond and now I kind of miss them. The rounded hoods are so much smaller, but I do like being able to put my palms over the tops and not have to deal with that point.

on a related topic: if I ever get my hands on a Tkom bike I'm building it with pointy-hood carbon shifters.

FlashUNC
05-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Ballers gonna ball.

thwart
05-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Not relevant, but I always wanted one of those record sets with the red logo and stiffer spring.

Not relevant to this discussion either. But having just installed a set this week... yes, they're very 'clicky' and have what seems like instantaneous shifting. Electronic can't be much faster.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697939583&stc=1&d=1494354114

A funny thing, though... the 'race' G springs are, from what I understand, absolutely impossible to find. And so I've found myself shifting less.

Which is probably a good thing. ;)

foggypeake
05-13-2017, 09:54 AM
I would love to find a "how to" on converting the pointy 9 speed levers to 10 speed. I always liked the way the pointy lever felt as compared to the newer rounded shape.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I would love to find a "how to" on converting the pointy 9 speed levers to 10 speed. I always liked the way the pointy lever felt as compared to the newer rounded shape.

Pictures of 10s disc and 8s disc..make the 10s one inside 'flats' the same as 8s one..and install.

Dave B
05-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Not relevant to this discussion either. But having just installed a set this week... yes, they're very 'clicky' and have what seems like instantaneous shifting. Electronic can't be much faster.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697939583&stc=1&d=1494354114

A funny thing, though... the 'race' G springs are, from what I understand, absolutely impossible to find. And so I've found myself shifting less.

Which is probably a good thing. ;)

yes I love those! I'll find a pair one day.

KJMUNC
05-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Pictures of 10s disc and 8s disc..make the 10s one inside 'flats' the same as 8s one..and install.

So what's the best method? that disc is pretty small so are you just using a cutting tool to roughly cut out the shape? Aesthetics aren't really a concern so I guess as long as you can get the shape roughed out enough to fit it should work right?

what about the levers? 10spd and 8spd are shaped differently no?

oldpotatoe
05-13-2017, 05:57 PM
So what's the best method? that disc is pretty small so are you just using a cutting tool to roughly cut out the shape? Aesthetics aren't really a concern so I guess as long as you can get the shape roughed out enough to fit it should work right?

what about the levers? 10spd and 8spd are shaped differently no?

I've never done it so don't know. But that's the only difference.

The brake levers will work although not a great fit. Shift lever different tho, not sure about that one.