PDA

View Full Version : Kid's Bike suggestions

Mr Cabletwitch
05-12-2017, 06:55 AM
I have an almost 8 year old son and he loves going biking with me but tends to shy away from any type of real trail. Part of that I think might be his bike. He currently rides a trek pre caliber full rigid bike that I did some modifications to give him more gear range and lighter weight. My thoughts are that I want to get him at least a hardtail with a decent front fork for his next bike. I was thinking 26 or 27.5" inch with a super small frame. I don't mind building a bike but for value sake I'd prefer a full bike. I have an old schwinn (1996) aluminium frame in 13" size I've been holding onto for just this purpose but I keep stalling because I think there might be something better out there. My latest idea was to make it a 69er rigid for him. I'm looking for thoughts and ideas of what to do for him, I don't mind spending around 1000 bucks since his little brother will eventually get to use it to, but I also want something that will last him at least two summers until he is ready to step up to an adult bike. I'm thinking this bike will be for next season but I want to get a jump on either finding a used bike or looking for a good deal. I couldn't think of a better place to ask for advice because I know there are plenty of bike geeks like me around here that want there kids to ride quality.

Side Note: He is the tallest kid in his class and so even though he is not yet 8 he is the size of most 9 year olds. 4'4" last month so by next season he should be around 4'8"