PDA

View Full Version : Steel frame repair needed - Bay Area

Freddy Merckx
05-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know of a shop/builder that could take care of the following issue? Bay Area, and I will take care of paint. Any help or direction is appreciated. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/DwKtiU1l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uYQ8enFl.jpg

jtakeda
05-11-2017, 07:05 PM
You bought that landshark on Craigslist for $150?

Thought about it but I think you're going to have to replace the front triangle.

In any case I'd tak to Bernie Mikkelsen, Joshua Muir or Smith from rat king

ultraman6970
05-11-2017, 07:26 PM
replace the front triangle??? nope at all.

Anybody with the skills of MR yamagushi (to me the master of lugless brazing here in the US) can fix that w/o any problem. I could recommend one of his students... Aaron Dykstra but he is not in california. He fixed a really tricky lugless bike for me long time ago, I even told him... nobody wants to touch it.. he said... Bring it... he took it like a challenge. My deceased master builder at my country would have fixed you that for free...

Aaron (the forumite) is in california I believe...

jtakeda
05-11-2017, 07:31 PM
replace the front triangle??? nope at all.

Anybody with the skills of MR yamagushi (to me the master of lugless brazing here in the US) can fix that w/o any problem. I could recommend one of his students... Aaron Dykstra but he is not in california. He fixed a really tricky lugless bike for me long time ago, I even told him... nobody wants to touch it.. he said... Bring it... he took it like a challenge. My deceased master builder at my country would have fixed you that for free...

Aaron (the forumite) is in california I believe...

It's highly likely that crack is from front end damage. Why wouldn't you also replace the downtube and top tube? Look at the bulge in the head tube above the crack

Duende
05-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Sycip Good folks. Worth talking to at least.

zennmotion
05-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Paul Sadoff/Rock Lobster, Santa Cruz could do it if he's willing, Bruce Gordon in Petaluma is in process of closing up shop and retiring, but might be willing or give you some other possibilities

ultraman6970
05-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Well could be a stress fracture and not due an accident, s...t like that happens and between you and me I rather see big brazing than super thin one...

OP the frame looks deformed???

BTW in one of the pictures looks like the top tube has a wrinkle?? in that case well... hope the op wants to learn frame building.

It's highly likely that crack is from front end damage. Why wouldn't you also replace the downtube and top tube? Look at the bulge in the head tube above the crack

fishwhisperer
05-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Would second Mikkelsen in Alameda. Does great work for a fair price. He had a friend's old Salsa Vaya back up and running in no time. Believe he can also arrange paint.

Freddy Merckx
05-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the many recommendations guys. I'll look into them.

Freddy Merckx
05-11-2017, 08:20 PM
_

jtakeda
05-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Would second Mikkelsen in Alameda. Does great work for a fair price. He had a friend's old Salsa Vaya back up and running in no time. Believe he can also arrange paint.

I think Bernie Mikkelsen does an extremely high quality repair and his personality/shop is worth the visit alone

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/735/33200224955_280424f93e_z.jpg

roguedog
05-11-2017, 11:14 PM
the obvious ones have already been suggested. is ed litton doing work anymore is the only add.

i know he's not in the bay area but i've heard wanta does a good job as well.

fogrider
05-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Paul Sadoff/Rock Lobster, Santa Cruz could do it if he's willing, Bruce Gordon in Petaluma is in process of closing up shop and retiring, but might be willing or give you some other possibilities

+1 for Paul. he usually has some interesting stuff in his shop.

bikingshearer
05-12-2017, 03:09 AM
the obvious ones have already been suggested. is ed litton doing work anymore is the only add.

i know he's not in the bay area but i've heard wanta does a good job as well.

+1 on Ed Litton. He's just off 580 in Richmond (Pt. Richmond area). Honest, does good work, tons of experience, reasonable price. Be sure to get a firm commitment on when it will be done.

BTW, this is not a knock on any of the others mentioned, but I've had good results dealing with Ed and he should be on your list of people top check out.

Cicli
05-12-2017, 03:57 AM
+1 on Ed Litton. He's just off 580 in Richmond (Pt. Richmond area). Honest, does good work, tons of experience, reasonable price. Be sure to get a firm commitment on when it will be done.

BTW, this is not a knock on any of the others mentioned, but I've had good results dealing with Ed and he should be on your list of people top check out.

Search Litton.

Word on the street around here is the guy is a tool. :eek:

nicrump
05-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Just my opinion. That frame needs further evaluation based on those pics.

I'd wager If that was sold as a Landshark, its a fake. That's not the brass or style brazing John did. That is some minimalist underdone silver(I'd bet 45%) there hence the crack.

Freddy Merckx
05-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Just my opinion. That frame needs further evaluation based on those pics.

I'd wager If that was sold as a Landshark, its a fake. That's not the brass or style brazing John did. That is some minimalist underdone silver(I'd bet 45%) there hence the crack.

Thank you for the info. The silver brazing looked weak indeed. Odd that someone would put the effort of a shark paintjob on a fake. Shame.

bikingshearer
05-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Search Litton.

Word on the street around here is the guy is a tool. :eek:

Based on my personal experience over the past ten or so years of dealing with him, the word on that street is incorrect.

jtakeda
05-14-2017, 03:34 PM
I saw what appears to be this fork on eBay. Did the frame builder say frame is junk?