PDA

View Full Version : OT: mechanical keyboards

AngryScientist
05-11-2017, 01:44 PM
well, sorta OT i guess - i have to type on my keyboard to communicate here...

my grubby old kensington keyboard is shot on my home personal computer. i'm thinking i might want the satisfying feeling of typing on something a little more tactile. anyone have a favorite mechanical keyboard.

looking for more of the VW Golf model vs the Merc AMG here...

cp43
05-11-2017, 01:57 PM
At work, I use a WASD keyboard: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

I've been happy with it, no issues in ~2 years of use.

They have a bunch of info on their website about how to configure it for the key feel that you want, and how to make it louder or quieter.

I don't have a lot of experience in keyboard shopping, I got mine used, from a friend. So, I don't know where it falls on the car price analogy.

Chris

MaraudingWalrus
05-11-2017, 02:06 PM
There's a subreddit, /r/mechanicalkeyboards (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/index#wiki_.22what_keyboard.2Fswitch_do_i_buy.3F.2 2), that has a ton of information. I've been musing about one myself, as I the keyboard on my laptop is a bit small, and lacks a number pad, a secondary keypad would be very useful now that I'm taking more classes again.

benb
05-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Heh.. I can probably hook you up with something used cheap if you want.

I've had, and still have some of these:

3 x Das Keyboard models
1 x WASD
A "TEK" ergonomic mechanical keyboard
A Kinesis (really crazy looking thing)

I am not really using any of them anymore, cause at this point after close to 10 years using them I am not sure I believe they are actually good for your hands. They are fun to type on and feel good initially but they make it easy to get into bad habits if you use them for huge amounts of time professionally. I've had plenty of issues with my hands from typing and it kind of corresponded with the time period I started using these. They are expensive and cool and there is kind of an internet echo chamber that involves a lot of people who are trying to justify their expensive keyboards but objectively they aren't necessarily better and it's not necessarily true that there was a great conspiracy by all the PC companies to give us crappy keyboards.

There aren't that many studies on what makes for the safest keyboard but what has been done has kind of pointed to there being no speed or accuracy advantage to the mechanical keyboards and also points to them causing more fatigue, mostly because you push the keys further.

I've found the low travel stuff with scissor switches (apple is shipping them, so is MS) to be better personally in terms of reducing fatigue. They actually seem to give a little better feedback as to when you are typing too hard. I type about 90-100wpm when I get going, and on the mechanical keyboard I have found it easy to end up in the habit of hitting the keys harder as I type faster.. leading to fatigue/pain as the day goes on.

I don't have the WASD or the Kinesis anymore.. IME the Das boards have had the best feel.. just cause these keyboards often have the same switches doesn't mean they all feel the same. How they mount the switches and what keycaps they use seems to affect the feel. The Das ones have been the most comfy for me. The Kinesis was pretty bad, the TEK is pretty bad which is too bad cause I love the ergonomic layout.

So if you go down this road try some of the low travel scissor switch stuff too, they feel better than the rubber domes too, and are a lot cheaper than the mechanicals with Cherry MX switches. If you're on a PC the MS Sculpt is really quite good, and the Apple keyboards are pretty good if you're on Mac.. although I don't think any of the Apple desktop keyboards feel the same as the MacBook Pro keyboard.

fuzzalow
05-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Keyboards, maybe like saddles? No, no where near that personal and idiosyncratic.

My preference, short of the all-time classic Sun Microsystems Type 5C keyboard, is the keyboard I replaced the Sun with: a Keyed Up Labs (KUL) ES-87. (https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=keyed_up_labs,tenkeyless&pid=es87u_cg_bbb_al)

Look around the Elite Keyboards site, you'll find something that'll work.

Charles M
05-11-2017, 02:15 PM

my grubby old kensington keyboard is shot on my home personal computer. i'm thinking i might want the satisfying feeling of typing on something a little more tactile. anyone have a favorite mechanical keyboard.

Look for Keyboards with CHERRY MX KEYS... There are loads of options and not all are expensive

And read this... It will tell you what you really want so you can be sure, based on the feedback level you're hunting...

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

BSBD
05-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Ooh something I know a little bit about. You can truly go down the rabbit hole on MKs. Like the comparison to saddles, there can be a lot of personal preference. My home keyboard is custom a built tenkey-less job utilizing a PCB from Korea, carbon fiber top plate and bottom, a glass fiber middle, and Gateron Zealios keys in 62gram weight. My work board uses Topre switches via CM Novatouch.

A good intro could be to buy a switch tester. I have a couple floating around, one done by Cooler Master that has 6 different switches (can probably still find these on Amazon) and one done by NovelKeys https://www.novelkeys.xyz/shop/ . The owner of NK, Mike, is easy to work with and responds quickly, reach out and he should be able to give some good ideas as to what would give a good variety. For not much money you can get a handful of varying switch types (linear, clicky, tactile) in different weightings and feels (the tactiles for instance can have very different bump feels).

Once you find a switch, should be able to find a prebuilt easily enough. I've tried running as small as a 60% board but still like having dedicated arrows/page/home/end keys, hence the TKL boards. The recommendation for the subreddit is top notch as is the market place mechmarket.

aki
05-11-2017, 07:29 PM
I own MX Red and Brown switches and like Red the most. I like how smooth it is.

zzy
05-11-2017, 07:35 PM
I grew up using a IBM Model M and love clicky keyboards. I can definitely type faster with them. Everyone in my office hated them tho. I'm currently using a Corsair kb with Cherry Blue switches, which I got for only $45 on sale, because I really like the media buttons in WinKey lock. Don't think you'll find a cheaper one with Cherry switches. The really hardcore coders and typers I know swear by the Microsoft ergo boards with split L/R sides and a large hump in the middle.

gasman
05-11-2017, 07:43 PM
I know this sounds a bit silly and a step down from the intelligent solutions offered above but my wife went to Goodwill last month for that very reason. She found 3 very lightly used keyboards for about $20 total. She is still trying out which one she likes best.

GScot
05-11-2017, 09:43 PM
I have a Das Keyboard that I really like, it was my first mechanical since an IBM I had way back in college at my research assistant job. Recently added some copy from Newegg that uses Cherry switches and cost half as much as the Das Keyboard. It is 90% as good with the shortcoming being I don't like the height of the risers as they are a bit longer than the Das.

R3awak3n
05-11-2017, 09:56 PM
WASD. I love mine, have had it for like 4 or 5 years now. Looks new, performs amazing.

Yes, its pricey but its excellent

Bostic
05-11-2017, 10:41 PM
I peruse that reddit every day. I have five so far and plan to add more. My favorite though is the Unicomp 103 key with buckling springs that is the modern day IBM Model M. Not sure if my coworkers approve but too bad. N+1.

scho74
05-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Here's something cheap to get you started. You might really enjoy the feel of it or you might just think, meh whatever. I say get a budget model to see if you really like it, then you can go all out and get the high end stuff....it's like kinda like bikes!

In any case, be sure to get a palm rest as well! It makes all the difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Pictek-PPC023B-PTUS-Water-Resistant-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01EAFSTCQ/

https://www.amazon.com/Grifiti-Standard-Keyboards-Mechanical-Materials/dp/B004D8PYE2/

Gurpil23
05-11-2017, 11:18 PM
This may be more like the Fit Uno of keyboards but it has worked well for me https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0173QNVT0/ref=pd_aw_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=13KTS3WJE44PPHPX29S8&dpPl=1&dpID=71KO1JiXMpL

martl
05-12-2017, 02:23 AM

IBM Model M. Nothing ever came within shouting distance qualitywise. (At a weight of ~2kg, it also is handy if you need to drive a large nail in a wooden beam, or you need to fight back the zombie apocalypse)

If you can't grab one, Unicomp makes a replica. It's not quite as bulletproof, but a reasonable imitation.

AngryScientist
05-12-2017, 06:29 AM
thanks all, sounds like i should go to my local computer place and at least try a few to see what they feel like and what typed mechanism i prefer. i know the place close to me has a decent selection of mechanical keyboards to try.

AngryScientist
05-15-2017, 07:29 PM
picked up a keyboard locally, after trying a couple dozen with MX blue switches. clicky click click. typing on it now.

going to take a bit of getting used to, but i liked the feel of this one the best.

thanks for the tips folks.

ColonelJLloyd
05-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Funny that this thread started on Thursday and I glanced at it and then I walked into a colleague's office that afternoon and noticed his new keyboard. Turns out it's a mechanical one so we got to talking about the pros.

Today I walked by his office and before I got to the door the audible noise from his typing was apparent. I like the idea of one and may try one when and if my trusty MX Revolution craps out. I sure hope my MX Revolution mouse hangs in for a while because it seems they discontinued that model and NOS ones go for a lot.

05-15-2017, 07:51 PM
I love my KBtalking keyboard! Would highly reccomend!

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 08:00 PM
I think I have MX browns and have some orings so its not so loud. I know there are a bunch more switches now.

I was really into it about 5/6 years ago but haven't kept up with it. I mean when you get a good keyboard (like the WASD), it will last a long time.

I started on a DAS Keyboard, was great too.

AngryScientist
05-15-2017, 08:13 PM
I mean when you get a good keyboard (like the WASD), it will last a long time.

yea, i'm also not too interested, i did an hours worth of net research, tried a few at the store and bought one. probably will last for a long time. cant see myself really needing to buy another keyboard for years now.

05-15-2017, 08:14 PM
I think I have MX browns and have some orings so its not so loud. I know there are a bunch more switches now.

I was really into it about 5/6 years ago but haven't kept up with it. I mean when you get a good keyboard (like the WASD), it will last a long time.

I started on a DAS Keyboard, was great too.

I've also put some o-rings onto my switches, my loud loud cherry reds. Didn't find they did much at all on them. You can't swap out switches, can you?

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 08:17 PM
I've also put some o-rings onto my switches, my loud loud cherry reds. Didn't find they did much at all on them. You can't swap out switches, can you?

you totally can, I think.. hmmm.

edit - yes you can

05-15-2017, 08:21 PM
you totally can, I think.. hmmm.

edit - yes you can

Might as well buy a new keyboard for the cost of doing that though, I'd imagine. My neighbors must hate me :P

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Might as well buy a new keyboard for the cost of doing that though, I'd imagine. My neighbors must hate me :P

my wife hates me

05-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Keep an eye out for the size of the keyboard too. I have one without a numpad (can't recall nickname for that type, mini?) and it saves desk space and feels neat and tidy

ColonelJLloyd
05-16-2017, 08:30 AM
numpad (can't recall nickname for that type, mini?)

10 key

hobbanero
05-31-2017, 09:17 PM
you are entering a whole subculture...http://gizmodo.com/key-crazy-inside-the-wonderful-world-of-keyboard-fanat-1794380835

Ronsonic
05-31-2017, 10:10 PM
This thread dropped me down an internet rabbit-hole. Having gone nostalgic over the old IBM Selectric feel keyboards, but never done anything about it, this thread caught my interest. Looks like some decent and affordable options out there.

Thanks for the info's.

Bostic
06-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Well, I had my Silca pump moment. I pre-ordered a Model F keyboard from the person that is driven to bring them back in a modern format (USB, Win key, etc)

I love my Unicomp 103 key buckling spring, but this sound.. gotta have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbt1EjDcCHU

MattTuck
07-12-2017, 01:08 PM
well, you guys have screwed me again.

Had bookmarked one of the links in this thread and finally gotten around to reading it, and perusing the relevant subreddit... holy hell, there are some nice looking keyboards that people are building. And down the rabbit hole, I go.

Bostic
07-12-2017, 01:16 PM
I'm right there with you. I still love buckling springs the best so I bought a 104 keyboard with the Mac layout for my OS X needs and the big bludgeoning device for my Win 10 box.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/BLKpc122Front600.jpg

I'm researching on what 75% to get next with custom keycaps. N+1. click!

unterhausen
07-12-2017, 02:10 PM
I always had a model M, because the university had tons of them at one point. Turns out there was more than one model M, and the ones I got were not the good ones. Still liked them though. It had a really satisfying click when typing.

Amazon had a mechanical keyboard on lighting deal last night, so I got one. I have been using a logitech wireless, and it drives me nuts. Although mostly because it runs out of power at the wrong time, and not so much because the keys are horrible, which they are.

MaraudingWalrus
10-06-2017, 06:53 PM
yep...you people made me do it eventually. with the prospect of several many dozens of page long papers looming in the next few months (and years) I just got the box in with a WASD mechanical keyboard. I'd not quite say this is my "silca moment" as the above said.....but it's darn close!

Certainly the "first time riding an awesome wheel/tire combo" moment.

eippo1
10-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Have a Corsair with some cherry keys. My wife is a writer and was kinda like *** at first. Now I'm banished to the laptop all the time because she won't give up the desktop keyboard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

coffeecake
10-06-2017, 08:16 PM
well, you guys have screwed me again.

Had bookmarked one of the links in this thread and finally gotten around to reading it, and perusing the relevant subreddit... holy hell, there are some nice looking keyboards that people are building. And down the rabbit hole, I go.

My god, that one above the NASA manual is incredible.

I went down the rabbit hole and now own four. My favorite is the V60 mini.

scrubadub
10-07-2017, 12:03 AM
I went down the rabbit hole too a few years back. The biggest change was going tenkeyless.

My “work” keyboards are Realforce Topres. Pricy but worth it for long typing days. I like Cherry MXs of all sorts but I find the Topres less fatiguing for me.

rustychisel
10-07-2017, 03:10 AM
Ooh something I know a little bit about. You can truly go down the rabbit hole on MKs. Like the comparison to saddles, there can be a lot of personal preference. My home keyboard is custom a built tenkey-less job utilizing a PCB from Korea, carbon fiber top plate and bottom, a glass fiber middle, and Gateron Zealios keys in 62gram weight. My work board uses Topre switches via CM Novatouch.

A good intro could be to buy a switch tester. I have a couple floating around, one done by Cooler Master that has 6 different switches (can probably still find these on Amazon) and one done by NovelKeys https://www.novelkeys.xyz/shop/ . The owner of NK, Mike, is easy to work with and responds quickly, reach out and he should be able to give some good ideas as to what would give a good variety. For not much money you can get a handful of varying switch types (linear, clicky, tactile) in different weightings and feels (the tactiles for instance can have very different bump feels).

Once you find a switch, should be able to find a prebuilt easily enough. I've tried running as small as a 60% board but still like having dedicated arrows/page/home/end keys, hence the TKL boards. The recommendation for the subreddit is top notch as is the market place mechmarket.

Really? I mean, really?

Is any of this actually written in English?

Bostic
10-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Really? I mean, really?

Is any of this actually written in English?

I LOL while eating my bowl of cereal and reading your reply rustychisel. It took me a fair amount of reading to get up to speed on mechanical keyboards. BSBD's keyboard is very much the equivalent of say a Firefly, Vanilla or Richard Sachs. A tenkey-less keyboard omits the number pad cluster on the right side to make it smaller, more ergonomic, get the mouse closer and take up less room on a desk.

It probably looks similar to this carbon fiber top plate and bottom with glass fiber middle.
https://1upkeyboards.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/image/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/d/s/dsc05283-t.jpg

Gateron Zealios is the type of switch used for each key on the custom build and the 62 gram weight is how much force you have to use to push down the keys. A lower gram weight is easier to push and vice versa.

The Topre switches keyboard is less expensive and mass-produced by CM (Cooler Master, think Cannondale or Trek). Topre switches themselves are different from Gateron or the industry standard Cherry MX.

This is where the switch tester comes in. Since keyboards are not cheap (well not for me at least) you buy the switch tester before hand to get a good idea of what the different types of switches feel like before you commit to buying all of them for a custom build or buying a mass produced keyboard with that type of switch included. Do you want a smooth linear, or a tactile bump, or a louder clack? That's totally up to the switch. You can add o rings to the switch to lessen the travel and reduce volume.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61j74M5YETL._SL1200_.jpg

The term "Endgame" is often used which is ridiculous. There is no Endgame, it's N+1 just like with Bikes. Even if you get your Halo-equivalent keyboard, there is always that elusive one just around the corner...

A 60% keyboard has even few keys as the cursor keys, home, end, etc are omitted. To make up for the lost keys, there are layers activated so the keys you do have do double or triple duty depending on how you set the programming.

http://www.keyboardco.com/product-images/kb_paradise_v60_matias_keyboard_large.jpg

And finally there are the key caps themselves that you have to decide on that go on top of your switches that you have painstakingly pondered over. Key caps can get expensive real fast. Think of the cost in getting a bike under that 15lb weight magic number.

What would be really slick for cyclists is a shift lever tester. A big fancy board with every type of shifter on it. You wanna know what Super Record feels like? It's one of the included testers. Same for Sram Red or Etap and Dura-Ace, down tube, bar-end, etc. The inner cable wires on the mechanical ones would be a clever problem to work around.