PDA

View Full Version : Wheel building --supplies and spoke calculations?ets?

paredown
05-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Got some new rims coming, got a couple of backlogged projects, and need some spokes.

Interested in where folks are getting their stuff and/or their preferred spoke length calculator.

Brand suggestions about spokes also welcome.:)

R3awak3n
05-10-2017, 02:07 PM
I always use this

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

And always use sapin laser.

cachagua
05-10-2017, 02:16 PM
I've gotten spokes from Yojimbo's Garage (www.yojimbosgarage.com) for my last few builds. He cuts to any length you want, he's got nipples and other supplies, and gives the best price I've seen anywhere on Sapim Lasers. Doubtless he's got other kinds too. Here's his eBay listing (www.ebay.com/itm/262655043497) for Lasers.

Because, yes, why would you want any other spoke?

And, I've used the freespoke (http://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/fullcalc) calculator and it seems about as good as anything.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Got some new rims coming, got a couple of backlogged projects, and need some spokes.

Interested in where folks are getting their stuff and/or their preferred spoke length calculator.

Brand suggestions about spokes also welcome.:)

Third hand and bicycle research both have online spoke calc. They use measured ERD(I have Wheelsmith rods)...and actual hub measurements. I prefer that as some web site info isn't accurate.

Yojimbo is a great place for spokes and rims..Marcus Moore

I prefer Sapim. Race almost exclusively. SecureLock nipples too, 'mechanical' lock vs DT chemical type plus these fit a little better, seat better than DT in small spoke holes(like Record and DA as examples)..

oldpotatoe
05-10-2017, 02:19 PM
I've gotten spokes from Yojimbo's Garage (www.yojimbosgarage.com) for my last few builds. He cuts to any length you want, he's got nipples and other supplies, and gives the best price I've seen anywhere on Sapim Lasers. Doubtless he's got other kinds too. Here's his eBay listing (www.ebay.com/itm/262655043497) for Lasers.

Yes and also some somewhat obscure models like Force and Strong spokes.

Big plus 1 for cut to length...I pretty much insist on proper length, whether it be an odd or even number.

Wheels Manufacturing also sells cut to length Sapim Race and CX-Ray plus nippleage.

cycledogg
05-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Third hand and bicycle research both have online spoke calc. They use measured ERD(I have Wheelsmith rods)...and actual hub measurements. I prefer that as some web site info isn't accurate.

Yojimbo is a great place for spokes and rims..Marcus Moore

I prefer Sapim. Race almost exclusively. SecureLock nipples too, 'mechanical' lock vs DT chemical type plus these fit a little better, seat better than DT in small spoke holes(like Record and DA as examples)..

Why Race instead of CX-Ray? :confused:

Mark McM
05-10-2017, 03:10 PM

Less expensive?

Easier to build with (because they wind-up less)?

Makes a less flexible (stiffer) wheel?

cadence90
05-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Cost/Weight ratio must be one factor.

Race....= $1.40 per (~5.67 g per)
CX-Ray = $3.00 per (~4.25g per)

For a 32-spoke wheel:
Race....= $44.80 (~181.5g)
CX-Ray = $96.00 (~136.0g)

A ~45g weight savings at double the cost is a pretty steep price.

ColonelJLloyd
05-10-2017, 03:18 PM
FWIW, I pay like $.46 or something for Sapim Race cut to order on a Phil Wood cutter. I just email Lee Kilpatrick (http://www.ebay.com/usr/childhood_dreams?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754) and just email him directly with my order. He's been my go-to for years.

belopsky
05-10-2017, 03:18 PM
FWIW, I pay like $.46 or something for Sapim Race cut to order on a Phil Wood cutter. I just email Lee Kilpatrick (http://www.ebay.com/usr/childhood_dreams?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754) and just email him directly with my order. He's been my go-to for years.

This.

gdw
05-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Danscomp.com sells silver Sapim Race spokes for .40 and black for .50, brass spokes included. CX-Rays are $2.80.

paredown
05-10-2017, 04:29 PM
You guys are awesome--thanks!:beer:

oldpotatoe
05-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Apples and oranges. CX-Ray starts life as a very thin spoke(Laser), then ovalized. Not for wheels for bigger boys, particularly low spoke count, light rims. Plus they are 3 times the $ of Race(same as DT Comp).

oldpotatoe
05-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Danscomp.com sells silver Sapim Race spokes for .40 and black for .50, brass spokes included. CX-Rays are $2.80.

A note about Dan...they gooned up 2 of my spoke orders...and when I called, had no idea what my issue was(ordered Race, 2mm/1.8mm/2mm and they cut them to be 2mm/1.8mm thru threads...then supplied 2mm nipples)...no thanks.

rccardr
05-10-2017, 07:27 PM
On a different note, I've had nothing but good experiences with Dans Comp.
Fast, friendly, and no issues with correct items, length, etc.

gdw
05-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Me too. I've built 5 wheelsets with their spokes and never had problems. The spokes were the correct length and the threads were clean.

smontanaro
05-11-2017, 06:40 AM
I've gotten spokes from Yojimbo's Garage (www.yojimbosgarage.com) for my last few builds.

^ This. I stopped by his shop, expecting Marcus to tell me they've be ready next Tuesday. He cut them for me while we chatted.