PDA

View Full Version : RIP -- Jack Brunk

Keith A
05-10-2017, 11:34 AM
I just found out that one of our forum members, Jack Brunk, recently passed away. He is a long time member and I've had the privilege of being a guest at his house and riding one of his road bikes while we where visiting California. I even purchased my C-50 from him several years ago. He hasn't been very active on the PL as of late, but he used to be a regular contributor -- and famous for the high quality rides he owned (and sold).

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

http://rosefamilyfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/778/Jack-Brunk/obituary.html#content-start

weisan
05-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Thanks for letting us know, Keith pal.

Jack pal, you will be missed.

rePhil
05-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Sad news. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

54ny77
05-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Crushing. So sad to hear that.

His stable was incredible, his enthusiasm infectious, and those perfectly staged bike photos of his--weren't they always in the same spot for the most part, right under a street sign (or something along those lines)?

Condolences to friends & family. A loss for all.

tuscanyswe
05-10-2017, 11:49 AM
Sad news idd. I dident know Jack v well but he always seemed very very nice the little contact i had with him. RIP Tailwinds!

+ He built some awesome bikes for us to droll over! I will not forget that lamppost down his street.

72gmc
05-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Thank you for sharing this, Keith. I hadn't thought of Jack in a while but enjoyed his posts. Wonder if it was his idea to say it's ok to wear jeans to the memorial.

sandyrs
05-10-2017, 11:52 AM
That's really sad. Seems like a life well-lived.

KJMUNC
05-10-2017, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=54ny77;2170678]....those perfectly staged bike photos of his--weren't they always in the same spot for the most part, right under a street sign (or something along those lines)?QUOTE]

yep, all against that street sign in his neighborhood. Wow, that sucks to hear....he had some pretty amazing bikes. He was always the one who seemed to have the high-zoot stuff first.

Happy trails and RIP.

Mr Cabletwitch
05-10-2017, 11:53 AM
What a great member of this Forum, he will certainly be missed.

Dave B
05-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Holy crap!

I loved Jack. He and I would talk often here and i bought a few bikes from him. Man this is sad news indeed.

He was a heck of a guy and had a huge giving heart. Not to mention his impeccable taste in bikes.

Man this just ruined my day.

tv_vt
05-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Jeez. That is very sad news.

Thanks for letting us know.

rallizes
05-10-2017, 11:58 AM
we used to talk pegorettis

great guy with some great bikes

i remember telling him i was going to go by international bikes in boston to see craig about a pegoretti

'tell them you know me. they'll treat you right."

RIP

happycampyer
05-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Godspeed, Jack. As Jack would say, fight the good fight.

AngryScientist
05-10-2017, 12:05 PM
aww man.

Never met him, but shared some conversations with his as well. sad news indeed.

i have a sweet set of track tubulars he sold me that i'll ride this weekend in memory!

rnhood
05-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Very sad news indeed. Jack was a cycling aficionado and he knew how a bike should look and ride. He leaves us way to early.

RudAwkning
05-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Met him at NAHBS (Portland I think, maybe Indy) and shared many miles with he and his team "Prairie Falcon" on the 508. Always a gentleman. R.I.P.

Keith A
05-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Met him at NAHBS (Portland I think, maybe Indy) and shared many miles with he and his team "Prairie Falcon" on the 508. Always a gentleman. R.I.P.http://www.the508.com/hof/brunkjack.html

gasman
05-10-2017, 12:40 PM
So sad to hear. Thanks for letting us know Keith. He was very active here but that was years ago. I had dinner with him and other PL's at the NAHMBS in San Jose. He was a really nice guy who had great tastes in bikes.

onsight512
05-10-2017, 12:44 PM
wow. that's sad. he sold me his fixed gear CdA six years ago, when
i was a new member here. i still think of how glad i
am that he did almost every time i throw a leg over it.
my condolences to his family and friends.

azrider
05-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Rip

john903
05-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Wow, that is sad news. He really seemed like a wonderful, caring person and one who had a passion for life. He will be missed.
My prayers, thoughts, and condolences to his family.

William
05-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Aw man, sad indeed. Thanks for sharing Keith.

Rest in peace Jack.

William

MattTuck
05-10-2017, 03:33 PM
I really only knew him by the reputation of having and selling lots of very nice bikes. I remember I posted a thread about something and he either replied to it, or sent me a PM with some very helpful advice.

Was one of the good guys. World is worse off without him.

Matthew
05-10-2017, 03:34 PM
RIP Jack. I remember seeing him post often on the forum. Seemed like a great guy. Fitting his memorial service was at a bike shop. Godspeed. Matt

johnmdesigner
05-10-2017, 03:36 PM
When I first came to this place many years ago the "grand old men" were Serotta Pete and Jack Brunk.
I always studied with envy the pictures of Jack's bikes.
I didn't know him personally but he responded to some of my questions here as a gentlemen with kindness and dignity, willing to share his knowledge.
The cycling world (and the world in general) needs more gentlemen like Jack and Pete.

Clydesdale
05-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Always loved Jack's bikes and I have an IF cross bike in my stable that belonged to him at one point. Blessings to the family.

Keith A
05-10-2017, 03:50 PM
One of his classic "pole pictures", and there were many...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=77338&stc=1&d=1294531263

Keith A
05-10-2017, 03:53 PM
The man himself...he was also quite the chef, and I've had the privilege of being on the receiving end of these skills at his house.

mavic1010
05-10-2017, 03:57 PM
I rode with him many moons ago...he was fit and fast but most of all very kind and generous....

RIP ole friend.....

Bruce K
05-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Very nice guy

So sad

BK

rwsaunders
05-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Whoa...I knew that his wife was fighting an illness a while back and Jack was cool enough to share the details with a stranger and focus on the positive. I didn't know that he was ill as well. RIP Jack.

saab2000
05-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Jack once sent me a derailleur for free. I was looking for one. He asked for my address and it showed up. I tried to pay and he wouldn't accept payment.

That sticks with me.

Keith A
05-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Whoa...I knew that his wife was fighting an illness a while back and Jack was cool enough to share the details with a stranger and focus on the positive. I didn't know that he was ill as well. RIP Jack.His wife has overcome her illness and is better, and Jack's death was an accident...not illness.

rwsaunders
05-10-2017, 04:43 PM
His wife has overcome her illness and is better, and Jack's death was an accident...not illness.

Thanks for the update Keith.

Climb01742
05-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Such sad news. Over the years, Jack and I exchanged emails about various bike things. He seemed like a genuinely swell guy, very generous and his passion for bikes was a joy to behold. He will be missed greatly.

SoCalSteve
05-10-2017, 05:32 PM
I heard about his passing awhile ago on Facebook. Made me very sad. Jack was truly a gentleman.

When this place was The Serotta Forum, Tom Byrnes, Jack and I had a Serotta ride and then a party after in Tom's backyard. Some very fond memories of that day and riding and spending time with Jack.

He will be missed.

Steve

cowgirl
05-10-2017, 05:32 PM
"Fight the good fight, every minute of every day."
-Jack Brunk

ORMojo
05-10-2017, 06:04 PM
So sad. I never met him in person, but I bought one of his bikes and had many electronic exchanges with him. Several times I would ask him about details of one of his bikes that had inspired me, and he always took the time to respond in full. One time I was considering a new bike purchase, and had it down to two models. Knowing that Jack had owned both, I sent him a cold-call PM asking for advice, and it turned into a multi-PM exchange as he walked me through the choice in detail.

Jack once sent me a derailleur for free. I was looking for one. He asked for my address and it showed up. I tried to pay and he wouldn't accept payment.

Jack did this to me in reverse. He was looking for a part I had, and I sent it to him for free - made it clear I was insisting that it was free to him. Since he already had my PayPal info from when I bought one of his bikes, next thing I knew, he had deposited money in my account.

jumphigher
05-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hear this gentleman has passed.

Keith A
05-10-2017, 06:42 PM
-Jack BrunkThanks for reminding me of is tagline.

He also used to have a website www.ultraendure.com that he posted some of his exploits. Unfortunately, this is gone and there are only a few posts on his new site http://ultraendure.blogspot.com/

Elefantino
05-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Jack, you will definitely be missed.

Endless rides forever.

ergott
05-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Wow, very sad news indeed!

RIP
:beer:

quattro
05-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Very sad news. Always looked forward to seeing Jack's latest and greatest. In fact, my IF SSR was inspired by Jack's IF SSR that he posted on the forum, I had it painted the same color with the same color decals, he will be missed.

rounder
05-10-2017, 07:38 PM
When I first came to this place many years ago the "grand old men" were Serotta Pete and Jack Brunk.
I always studied with envy the pictures of Jack's bikes.
I didn't know him personally but he responded to some of my questions here as a gentlemen with kindness and dignity, willing to share his knowledge.
The cycling world (and the world in general) needs more gentlemen like Jack and Pete.

Yeah. He treated everyone here with kindness and dignity.

RIP Jack.

Keith A
05-10-2017, 08:01 PM
I've been in contact with Jack's daughter, Lindsay, and she wanted to let you guys know that you are welcome to contact her on Facebook if you had any questions or comments. Her Facebook page is here https://www.facebook.com/lindsay.brunk

CaptStash
05-10-2017, 08:17 PM
We all knew Jack was special, and so did all his buds at his LBS They closed it early on Sunday to have a celebration of his life. Now I know where to go if I ever need a shop in Newbury Park!

You're already deeply missed Jack.

CaptStash....

kgreene10
05-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Jack was an extremely generous forumite who seemed to delight in moving his many treasures on to other members.

I'm also reminded that people lead complicated lives.

akelman
05-10-2017, 08:48 PM
I've been in contact with Jack's daughter, Lindsay, and she wanted to let you guys know that you are welcome to contact her on Facebook if you had any questions or comments. Her Facebook page is here https://www.facebook.com/lindsay.brunk

Thanks, Keith. Thanks for everything you do around here and especially for this. Jack was an exceptionally generous man. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

jghall
05-10-2017, 08:54 PM
So sorry to hear. Sad, sad news.

As others have mentioned, Jack was a such good dude. RIP

Peter B
05-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Thanks for letting us know Keith. We all admired the rotation of beauties that graced his neighborhood signpost. I bought my 595 and a slew of hand-me-down parts over the years from Jack. Crossed paths with him on several CTC doubles and the 508. A passionate and generous cyclist.

RIP Jack.

roguedog
05-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Ah... sad to hear. I was just thinking the other day, where were some of the old Serotta forumites.

Jack was definitely a character and gave us all dreams of rides and bikes. He was always courteous, open and knowledgeable. And if you happen to ride his size.. wow, was that torture. It was torture even when it was 7 sizes too big!

Thanks for the dreams, the knowledge, the laughs and showing us courage and grace, Jack.

Tailwinds and smooth roads, dude.

rustychisel
05-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Sad news... a gentleman.

Thank you for letting us know.

AngryScientist
05-11-2017, 06:10 AM
He's probably having a glass of RED with Pete up in that big velodrome in the sky.

both had a life well lived and the kind words expressed here are just one testament to that.

zap
05-11-2017, 07:49 AM
He's probably having a glass of RED with Pete up in that big velodrome in the sky.

+1

I enjoyed Jacks posts and his enthusiasm for cycling.

RIP.

LegendRider
05-11-2017, 07:58 AM
Very sad. I enjoyed pictures of his bikes - his builds were always first rate.

happycampyer
05-11-2017, 07:59 AM

both had a life well lived and the kind words expressed here are just one testament to that.Speaking of which, I was searching the archives for some of the older conversations with Jack. Many here will remember this thread from a little over 6 years ago. The warmth of Jack's heart really shines through.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78505

RIP Jack. My sincere condolences to Robin and the rest of the Brunk family.

Mikej
05-11-2017, 08:21 AM
Never met him, but I could tell he was a great guy -Sorry to hear about this. I always just missed his screaming deals in the classifieds -

roguedog
05-11-2017, 08:30 AM
+1

I had this same thought as I was typing. :)

both had a life well lived and the kind words expressed here are just one testament to that.

93legendti
05-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Oh no! I talked to him a few times on the phone. Such a nice, helpful man. A big loss...

thwart
05-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Bought a bike from Jack back in the day. As someone mentioned above I had the 'misfortune' to be approximately his size.

Ah... those pics of gorgeous bikes leaned against the street sign in his neighborhood...

A great person to deal with. RIP Jack.

SpeedyChix
05-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Huge loss. Jack had a big heart and will be missed. Had a number of written "conversations" with him. Please send condolences to the family.

VTCaraco
05-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Sad news.

texbike
05-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Ah, hell. This really sucks. :( I'd talked with Jack numerous times over the years. A few years ago, we just happened to be in Denver at the same time and managed to get together for an in-person conversation. Really nice guy and he looked completely different than I expected. I'm really sorry to hear of his passing.

-Jack Brunk

Indeed! The song that Jack quoted so many times on Ultraendure. He had gone through cancer as well at on point. Never Surrender Jack! I'll be blasting the song in your honor today.

Texbike

wooly
05-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Oh man, just saw this. I met up with jack a couple of times when I bought his bikes. Very nice guy. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

The man had epic taste in bikes and I was lucky enough to fit them. I'll always remember the standard light post bike shot he used to post.

Louis
05-11-2017, 09:28 PM
His wife has overcome her illness and is better, and Jack's death was an accident...not illness.

Keith, was it a cycling-related accident?

KJMUNC
05-11-2017, 09:51 PM
I keep coming back to this thread and reading all the posts about how many lives he touched.....we should all aspire to have such reach and impact. Also perusing some of his posts and man he had some good ones.....he knew how to do it right!

His bikes pics were also great.....his Pegorettis, Colnagos (even a fixed gear C40 with a carbon crank!), Zanks, Fireflys, Pinarellos, and all those Lightweight wheels.....man he had some good taste.

But to me he was always "that dude with the Clavicula cranks"!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cure for a effin nasty sore throat, in order

Don Julio 1942 tequila,

Complete recordings, Humble Pie Fillmore East 1971 4 cd high def.

Ripping through my computer, X Sabre Dac, Woo Audio WA6 to my Beyer T70 Tesla cans cabled with custom Zues 22 cables.

Marriott and Frampton where all world pros.

Don't really care how I feel tomorrow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Such a loss but such great memories. Pouring one out for you fella....:beer:

jtakeda
05-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Super sad. Such a generous member. RIP

krhea
05-11-2017, 10:13 PM
This guy had a HUGE heart and throughout the years sold so many incredible bikes for so little money it was crazy. Jack was always one to step up and help a fellow forum member, offer an even better deal, payment plans etc simply to help a fellow forum member get a ride they really wanted. I spoke electronically with Jack a number of times through the years and he had no problem asking tons of questions about stuff he wasn't familiar with or answering tons of questions to help me choose a new bike, new part or just to get his ride impression before a purchase. I think we both purchased a number of bikes based on each other's opinion and information. We're lucky to have had Jack as a member of our forum "family".

KRhea

pdmtong
05-11-2017, 11:35 PM
It is so sad and shocking to hear of Jack's passing. Along with Pete and Noise, that's three too many in my time here.

Yes, the incredible bikes. The Clavicula cranks. What about the Vanilla track bike? The builds were beyond anyone's imagination at the time.

That pole touched more great bikes than a handful of us combined will in our lifetimes. You can have the garage door. Nothing like a JB pole shot. And, when he got tired of road, the mountain bikes were as superb.

Always a good word and positive attitude for anyone.

RIP Jack and condolences to your family.

tiretrax
05-12-2017, 11:07 AM
What sad news. RIP.

mgm777
05-12-2017, 12:32 PM
RIP Jack.
You touched many lives, mine included, in a very positive way.

I though I remember reading a thread that said his wife had accepted a new job in Colorado and he was moving out here. Apparently, that didn't happen.

MRB
05-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Sad news indeed. He and I had plans to "someday" ride the Solvang Double Century together (I'm of Danish decent so based on that, he recommended the Solvang DC over others (Davis Double, etc)

I guess that someday will never come to be.

Thoughts and Prayers go out to his family. He was such a nice guy, and a very enthusiastic rider.

Sad

jimcav
05-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Such great guy. I was lucky to get two bikes from him and he was the 1st to offer me the ability to pay in installments. I'd hoped to meet him in person. I didn't realize ultraendure was gone, I enjoyed reading his posts there. He gave us a lot of cycling passion and of course bike lust. My thoughts are with his family.

uno-speedo
05-13-2017, 04:09 AM
That is very sad indeed. I bought a Seven frameset from him and he was a complete gentleman to deal with. RIP Jack.

Ray
05-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Oh man. As a very occasional lurker/contributor around here anymore, this is the second time I've checked in for the first time in a while and learned of a great forum-pal's death. First time was Pete, who I met and hung out with a few times. Jack I never met but felt like I knew him just from time spent together online. That guy always had the best gear and always passed it in and was a great and generous guy. RIP Jack - I know you're riding somewhere...

-Ray

chris7ed
05-13-2017, 07:51 AM
I'd like to see more of his bikes. He seemed to like sharing photos and I think it would be a nice way to remember him.

Raffy
05-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Oh wow, sad news. I remember selling him my Russian River Brewing jersey; he seemed like a nice guy.

RIP Jack.

makoti
05-13-2017, 09:46 AM
I don't think my path crossed with Jack's, and clearly that was my loss. It sounds like he was a wonderful person. RIP, Jack Brunk.

19wisconsin64
05-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Jack took the time to respond to some of my early forum questions on steel vintage bikes. Great guy! RIP

weisan
05-13-2017, 02:14 PM
As I read pals' responses, the common theme that keeps popping up, is how Jack pal took the time to respond to personal inquiries, share his knowledge, extend hospitality and show generosity. The best way, I think, we can honor this man, is to let a bit his glow and kindness rub off on our shoulders and continue to carry them into our conversations and interactions here.

Matthew
05-13-2017, 02:18 PM
You are right weisan pal. I wish the same would happen on all internet sites, topics, etc.!! Wishful thinking for sure, but so glad to hang out in this place everyday. Cyclists are great folks.

Keith A
05-13-2017, 02:18 PM
As I read pals' responses, the common theme that keeps popping up, is how Jack pal took the time to respond to personal inquiries, share his knowledge, extend hospitality and show generosity. The best way, I think, we can honor this man, is to let a bit his glow and kindness rub off on our shoulders and continue to carry them into our conversations and interactions here.Excellent point...weisan pal.

SoCalSteve
05-13-2017, 03:38 PM
As I read pals' responses, the common theme that keeps popping up, is how Jack pal took the time to respond to personal inquiries, share his knowledge, extend hospitality and show generosity. The best way, I think, we can honor this man, is to let a bit his glow and kindness rub off on our shoulders and continue to carry them into our conversations and interactions here.

Well said, sir!

Pay it forward in Jacks honor. I'm all over that!!! :beer:

gemship
05-14-2017, 10:10 AM
RIP, Jack Brunk.

His pics as well as others of high end bikes in combo with the old Serotta forum were what got me inspired enough register and to spend time on what is now this forum. This is kinda saying a lot since being a bike geek for me is well, I am not nearly as involved with it as others here my age and much older. I am amazed at the collections and passion some of you have. Regarding Jack I always sensed there was a drive behind him, as if he were completing a bucket list of bikes to own and ride.

oldguy00
05-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Keith, was it a cycling-related accident?

I was wondring as well. Hope that isn't considered bad taste. He was pretty young still! Very sad.

Keith A
05-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Keith, was it a cycling-related accident?No, he fell on some stairs and landed such that the impact to his head was fatal :(

Louis
05-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Keith, thanks for the reply - that's terribly sad.

There are so many stories of cycling accidents out there, that's the first thing you think about on this sort of forum, but of course stuff can happen at any time or place in your life. Bummer.

pdmtong
05-14-2017, 10:25 PM
Jack's BLE

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=71446&stc=1&d=1277851159

Lionel
05-15-2017, 12:41 AM
Very sad news. Never met Jack but he sure had perfect bike taste. The pole pictures of all his bikes were very impressive. RIP.

nobuseri
05-15-2017, 05:08 AM
Late to the party, but wanted to express my condolences. Long time viewer on this board and always enjoyed seeing his posts and rides. Outstanding gentleman, and will be missed. Thoughts and prayers out him him and his family.

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 07:48 AM
No, he fell on some stairs and landed such that the impact to his head was fatal :(

Wow, that is so scary and so sad. I don't know Jack but read through this thread and man, he seemed like he impacted a whole lot of people which means he was hell of a guy. May he RIP.

54ny77
05-15-2017, 08:54 AM
Keith oh man, that hits home. Hard. My wife fell down basement steps a couple years ago. Was a fluke of an accident. Most gut wrenching scream I ever heard.

Fortunately, there was only some bruising and rattled nerves for awhile, and the worst of it was a broken arm.

Man, I am so, so sorry to hear that. Again, our condolences for your lost friend, and same for all of Jack's friends and family. So sad.

For what it's worth, for those of you who have basements in your home and doors that don't automatically close, PLEASE install spring hinges and set the spring with enough tension to close it shut. The minor inconvenience of having to always open an automatically closed door is a small price to pay. I had always intended to install them on our basement door but never got around to it. Had they been there, my wife would have walked into a door and bonked her nose, not fallen down the full flight of steps. This is what I'm referring to.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-in-Satin-Brass-Adjustable-Spring-Door-Hinge-15535/202033836

No, he fell on some stairs and landed such that the impact to his head was fatal :(

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 09:10 AM
it hits home too, I fell like 6 months ago in the bathroom. Don't remember a thing, woke up in my couch and had blood all over my head. I was fine after a couple of weeks, definitely had a concussion but it could have been much worst.

My thoughts are with Jacks family.

Louis
05-15-2017, 11:09 AM
^ really?

A forum member falls, hits his head, and dies. And your response is "bummer".

Yes it was. My profuse apologies if it doesn't meet your standards for internet condolences.

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 11:59 AM
guys, please quit this while you are at it. THis is not the thread for this kind of stuff.

Keith A
05-15-2017, 12:06 PM
guys, please quit this while you are at it. THis is not the thread for this kind of stuff.Thanks...was just getting ready to post the same message.
:no:

AngryScientist
05-15-2017, 12:13 PM
in loving memory:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697869388&stc=1&d=1382226830

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=98482&stc=1&d=1341540935

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=40964&stc=1&d=1205292611

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=86214&stc=1&d=1318108807

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=77336&stc=1&d=1294531229

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=67977&stc=1&d=1268680196

tuscanyswe
05-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Hot damn. There should be an orange peg in there to somewhere and many others ofc but that orange was the first time i saw that paint, loved it!

Edit:

Here it is
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=48292&stc=1&d=1221958424

i remember thinking the text would be very fitting for a courier.

Pegoready
05-15-2017, 12:23 PM
These are amazing as well:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=35370&stc=1&d=1199056069

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33721&stc=1&d=1196637465

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=31040&stc=1&d=1193361936

d_douglas
05-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Jeez - I forgot about how many amazing bikes Jack owned over the years.

Sad to hear about anyone passing away too early.

54ny77
05-15-2017, 12:33 PM
the street sign bike collection pics.

superb. thank you for posting them.

best tribute. :beer:

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 12:37 PM
wow, you guys weren't kidding. All his bikes are on another level.

The vanilla and the sachs track bikes oh my

AngryScientist
05-15-2017, 12:51 PM
the hampsten fixed makes my knees weak.

katematt
05-15-2017, 01:19 PM
He was a prolific poster when I first joined and likely one of the reasons I now own 4 very nice road bikes and am happier for it.

RIP

gemship
05-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Hot damn. There should be an orange peg in there to somewhere and many others ofc but that orange was the first time i saw that paint, loved it!

Edit:

Here it is
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=48292&stc=1&d=1221958424

i remember thinking the text would be very fitting for a courier.

Is this a Big Leg Emma? Not much I can't say I don't like about it.

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 02:14 PM
the hampsten fixed makes my knees weak.

oh dude, didnt even see that. indeed amazing as well.

SoCalSteve
05-15-2017, 03:03 PM
For all to see and marvel at...3 pages of Jack Brunk cycling wonders ( every last one of them ). Enjoy!!! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3242007)

William
05-15-2017, 03:05 PM
For all to see and marvel at...3 pages of Jack Brunk cycling wonders ( every last one of them ). Enjoy!!! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3242007)

THAT is a drool worthy list of JB's eye for detail... :cool:

William

Keith A
05-15-2017, 03:23 PM
This one now resides in my home...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33730&stc=1&d=1196637975

William
05-15-2017, 03:29 PM
this one now resides in my home...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33730&stc=1&d=1196637975

:)

Miller76
05-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately I didn't know Jack but given the wonderful comments, dont you think that someone who did know him should forward this link to the bike shop that had the memorial? I'm sure his family would be very touched to read what the paceline community have been saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54ny77
05-15-2017, 03:38 PM
Holy. Toledo.

That man had the passion. :beer:

Climb01742
05-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Jack sure didn't skimp on wheels, either!:beer::D The man rolled in style.;)

Keith A
05-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately I didn't know Jack but given the wonderful comments, dont you think that someone who did know him should forward this link to the bike shop that had the memorial? I'm sure his family would be very touched to read what the paceline community have been saying?
I've been in touch with one of his daughters and have shared this link with her.

Llewellyn
05-15-2017, 05:43 PM

This is the message I get:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Am I doing something wrong?

Keith A
05-15-2017, 05:45 PM

Am I doing something wrong?Not sure, it worked earlier. Try this one...
https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3242211

R3awak3n
05-15-2017, 05:45 PM

Am I doing something wrong?

no, I got that too but earlier on it worked and showed 3 pages with all his bikes. I went trough all of them, crazy good taste.

edit - New one Keith just posted works again.

Llewellyn
05-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Not sure, it worked earlier. Try this one...
https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3242211

Thanks. It's going to take a while to get through all those!!

Keith A
10-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Just received a message from a friend that lives out in the area that Jack's was from, and he shared with me a Facebook post about a bike repair stand that was built in the parking lot of a LBS. This was dedicated to Jack and here's the link if you do Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/jack.nosco/posts/10214889788466091

soulspinner
10-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Class act with great taste in bikes. Roll on Jack.

roguedog
10-23-2017, 07:53 AM
That is very cool. What an awesome thought.

Blastinbob
10-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Just received a message from a friend that lives out in the area that Jack's was from, and he shared with me a Facebook post about a bike repair stand that was built in the parking lot of a LBS. This was dedicated to Jack and here's the link if you do Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/jack.nosco/posts/10214889788466091
Very cool indeed.

onekgguy
10-23-2017, 10:19 AM
I don't get here often enough and just learned through this thread of Jack's passing. Our world lost some of its luster. Truly sad. RIP, Jack.

Kevin g

Dave Ferris
01-17-2018, 12:53 AM
I've been away from the forum for a year and was looking for some of Jack's posts here but didn't see any for a long time. And then I found his obituary on line and now this thread. I'm shocked and saddened beyond words.

We had many conversations on the phone before I purchased my Potts 29er. I was torn between 29er/650b, as well as the Potts Type II vs shock. He would literally spend 45 minutes, at least, on the phone for each conversation we had. I literally would take notes because he had so much information and was so experienced in all facets of mountain bikes.

Jack offered to come all the way out here to Glendale from his home in TO to let me demo his Mootry that he had just turned rigid. Problem was, it was a ss and I didn't have the chops to get up my trail that climbs 2000' in 3 miles on it. But he was the consummate definition of "nice guy".

He went into great detail on why he loved his Firefly 29er so much. That was his baby. He was also an avid runner and we did a few races together, although we didn't know each other at that time.

Deepest belated condolences to his family , close friends and extended family here.

Mattbotak
02-24-2018, 06:37 PM
RIP Jack.

Have been looking for a bike and thought of Jack this past week for inspiration and realized I have not seen a post from Jack for sometime and came across this thread. He had a wonderful eye for builds and aesthetics.

This bike stand is a wonderful memorial to Jack.

Spinner
07-18-2018, 03:57 PM
i had the pleasure to meet and ride with Jack at the Tour de Bozeman. He was everything that others have said.

10 weeks ago, at the age of 64, I feel half way down a flight of stairs in my home. 11 fractured ribs, a fractured humorous and a punctured lung later, I'm on the mend and have ridden 9 times since my stumble.

Homes can be very dangerous. Be careful out there.

pbarry
07-18-2018, 09:25 PM
i had the pleasure to meet and ride with Jack at the Tour de Bozeman. He was everything that others have said.

10 weeks ago, at the age of 64, I feel half way down a flight of stairs in my home. 11 fractured ribs, a fractured humorous and a punctured lung later, I'm on the mend and have ridden 9 times since my stumble.

Homes can be very dangerous. Be careful out there.

Thanks for posting this. JB must have been quite a person. Wish I'd met him. :)

Glad to here you survived the fall and you are back out there!

We had a loss here, late spring. https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/30/mount-everest-survivor-dies-in-fall-at-colorado-home/

Be mindful, dear people.

Keith A
05-08-2020, 07:47 AM
Remembering Jack on his birthday. Gone too soon from this world.

mnoble485
05-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reminder.

Mike

tv_vt
05-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Never met him, but he is missed. RIP.

happycampyer
05-08-2020, 11:08 AM
Indeed, Jack was an inspiration to many of us, in so many ways. As Jack would say, we need to fight the good fight.

soulspinner
05-08-2020, 11:11 AM
He was a cool guy with great bikes.

pdmtong
05-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Everyone else uses a garage door but not JB...that pole on his street corner was Serotta Forum iconic

SoCalSteve
05-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Never met him, but he is missed. RIP.

Met him once when Tom Byrnes and I threw a Serotta ( when this was still the Serotta forum ) ride/party. We met at Tom’s, did about a 35 mile ride and then back to Tom’s backyard where Tom had about 20 of his amazing bikes on display and deli sandwiches from a very well known Italian deli.

Funny story, but my wife at the time was riding an Exogrid Titus that was once owned by Jack. He complimented her on how great she looked on the bike.

Super nice guy, super generous with his knowledge, experience and time.

ORMojo
05-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Super nice guy, super generous with his knowledge, experience and time. and bikes!

He helped me several times with his knowledge of bikes, forks, etc., that he had experience with and I was exploring. Missed.

wooly
05-08-2020, 02:57 PM
Bought a killer IF from him. Met up for the handoff and ended chatting for a while. Great guy with great tastes in bikes. One of the originals of this forum.

Dave Ferris
05-08-2020, 04:38 PM
So tragic, so sad. Such a great guy. Thanks for Memorial bump.

robgrace
05-23-2020, 07:18 AM
Great loss to the bike cognoscenti
he had an eye for the highest quality ride
and always generous with his time and observations
hopefully he is rolling on his dream bike somewhere.
Vale Jack