PDA

View Full Version : "BIG MEAT" wedges??? or CX-6's?

CarlosContreros
04-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Hey Y'all!
Are any of you using the "Big Meat" wedges that are placed between
your cleat and your pedal?
I draped my feet off of a table one day and noticed that one of my feet
actually hangs with the foot angled to one direction.
I'm considering the "Big Meat" wedges to help angle my shoe as the same
direction my foot hangs....and I'm also considering using the new Look CX-6
pedal where you can add shims that actually angle your foot as well.
Anyone using these alternatives?
Thanks!
CC

Kurt
04-12-2004, 01:22 PM
are great - I know Paul, the guy that makes them and lots of other fitting stuff that bike shops use - he is the bomb. I have been using them for years, much more power and comfort - I use them with Nike and speedplays.

va rider
04-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Somebody should make bikes with the name, Big Meat.

As to the wedges, Dr. Arnie Baker states:

"A study this year showed that wedges on the inside of the cleat may help front-of-the-knee pain. (Caution: Medial wedges may worsen other problems.) Before you go buy those “Big Meat” wedges, consider that the same study showed that simply raising saddle height helps as much, if not more. "

Here is the link
http://www.arniebakercycling.com/free_pdf_articles/fa_bms_1997.pdf

zap
04-12-2004, 01:41 PM
If you plan on going the Look route, the CX-7 are the pedals you need. CX-6 pedals only have adjustable Q.

Blastinbob
04-12-2004, 02:05 PM
I use them as well. I had Paul's understudy set me up ,and I could feel the difference right away. Lemond bought the rights and they now call them "Le Wedge" . The pgk. comes with enough wedges to do at least 3 pairs of shoes.

Bob

Bill Bove
04-12-2004, 03:16 PM
I have been using them for years too. First on Carnac's with Look pedals, now on Nike's and Campy Record Pro fit. They work great for me, no knee pain. An interesting thing though, two weeks ago I put new cleats on my shoes. As I was tightening the last screw I noticed that I now had the wedges reversed, thicker on the outside. I rode them anyway (with a screwdriver in my pocket) now it feels like I'm getting more power out of the ball of my foot and still no pain. Go figure :rolleyes:

CarlosContreros
04-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies bike "peers"!!
You're right Zap....it is CX-7's!..duly noted.
Bill Bove...You've got me scratching my head on that!! What the heck??
that's very odd isn't it?
va rider...once again some interesting point counter-point out there for us to consider!
I'm still going to "ponder" before I make move..I currenly have orthotics which put my foot in an almost "angled" position anyway..and I want to be cautious before making ny moves because I don't want to possibly start a problem!
CC

Dr. Doofus
04-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Carlos --

Orthodics and Big Meat/Lewedge can cancel each other out.... The orthodic is molded to the profile of your foot. Let's say you pronate. The *top* of the orthodic follows the foot profile, so it has a flattish arch, *that is still built up* so that when you look at it from the rear, you can see the *high* arch side (a "flat" arch isn't really flat, its just lower than normal). The bottom of the orthodic, however, *is* flat, contoured to the sole of the shoe, stabilizing the foot so that it doesn't pronate as you pedal.

Probelm solved.

Now, you wedge your shoes to compensate for your varus (pronation)...thanks to the wedges on the arch side, *now* your foot is supinating a little, and now it wants to pronate again, because the whole shoe has been canted....

Usually, either the orthodic fixes the problem, or the wedge does. Only if a rider has very unusual feet with extreme pronation and weak arches *and* knees with a long history of chondomalacia, would a combination of wedge/orthodic be used...the Doc is in this group, and it took an orthopedist with a great deal of cycling experience to set up his shoe/wedge combination...which beat his old 80s solution of affixing foreign objects in his clip n strap cleats to "wedge" them up (don't try this at home)....

Find an ortho who knows what he or she is doing and knows cycling, or find a fitter who really knows about orthopedics...until then, leave it be...you can do a lot more harm than good by dicking around with it yourself.

CarlosContreros
04-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks Dr. Dufus!
That's a very wise and sensible suggestion!
Actually..I have very big feet(14) and very high arches and
if I remember correctly the podiatrist who did my orthotic fitting
said my feet "supinate"....I know that the outer part of my heel is where
all the wear shows up on my shoes after a certain amount of time and I think my feet take that intial "ground strike" and then roll along the outer
edge of foot through the walking/running movement.
I'm really hoping that sometime in the near future to be able to see Andy
Pruitt at the Boulder Center.
Hopefully this will be part of his program to ensure that everything is ideally situated in regard to cycling!
CC

va rider
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Well said, Doc.

quattro
04-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Does any one have any advise for a cure to Morton's Neuroma? Will the wedge help? I already use custom orthodics in my regular and cycling shoes but still have the Neuroma problem. Thanks for any advice for helping to solve this pain in the foot.

OldDog
04-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Quattro - I have been nursing a neuroma for three years now...just about cured. Summer 2001, July, wedged my foot into some rocks while hiking, compressing my left foot, pinching the digital nerve in my third metatarsal space. The pain came up real quick :eek: . My Doc had me soaking my foot, taking Advil, advising it would go away shortly. Did not work at all. Over the next few months the pain became unbearable, I was hurting from my knee to my toes. I had a sharp zinging with every step, every pedal stroke. Felt like my nerve was being ripped from my foot. Could not ride a bike more than a half hour. :crap: Lesson #1: see a podiatrist ASAP. I finally went in November 2001 - went through the traditional treatments, four cortizone shots, phys therapy, including ultrasound treatments. Nothing was working :( .

I read of making a foot bed and cutting it at the end of the ball of the foot, leaving the toes hang, with a pad under the neuroma. Got some comfort. Requested my podiatrist to make me orthotics, he refused citing I needed to cure the neuroma before making orthotics, so as not to screw up my gait and cause other problems. I went back and insisted, he agreed, and they gave me yet more relief, but the basic problem was still there and not getting better. However, the combination of orthotics, wider shoes (Sidi Mega's) and moving my cleats back (pushing my foot forward on the pedal) gave enough relief to keep me pedaling for an hour at a time (Spring 2002). Surgery was discussed, but I opted out - my research showed that proceedure caused more harm than good.

Fast forward to April 2003 - new treatment: My podiatrist was following results of a new proceedure. Ultrasound is again utilized. His partner applied the ultrasound "wand" to the bottom of my foot while squeezing it. He would then see the neuroma on a computer screen. Took a picture: 92mm x 88mm. A biggie. As this doctor located pinpointed the location of the neuroma, the first doctor inserted his needle right to the nerve, following his progress on the computer screen. :eek: Egads it smarted! He injected a solution of alchol and saline: alcohal to shrink the neuroma, salene to "score" the nerve exterior, making it less sensitive. Shots continued every 6 - 8 weeks.

Had my 9th shot this past Monday. I am nearly pain free, :banana: can ride as long as my legs hold out :banana: :banana: about two hours at this point in time. After this ordeal, I lost my fitness, gained 25 pounds, will be an effort to get back to where I was in the summer of 2001. But I am riding :D and will get back to 50+ rides on week ends and hopefully a century or three by late summer/early fall.

An irony of this whole trip was, my wife and I were married 25 years in October 2001, pretty much the beginning of my problem. She surprised me with a gift of a Richard Sachs bicycle. I went in November for my fitting, received my Signature bike in May 2002. Really could not ride it then, other than a few miles. Last Saturday did 39 miles :hello: I am starting to slowly move my cleats back into position, so far so good. I have seriously considered Rocket 7's, my podietrist has contacted them and has agreed to do my casting, incorporating orthotics with the metetarsal pad if needed, when I am ready. For now I am holding off to see just how completly cured I can be. I discussed Rocket 7's on the phone with e-RICHIE. They have his endorsement, when the time comes I will try them.

I feel your pain, brother. I would recommend to anyone with this condition to inquire as to the ultrasound/alchohal treatment and forget about surgury.

Good luck - S

OldDog
04-14-2004, 09:11 PM
I have been set up with a fitter, who measured the angle's of my feet and inserted Big Meats. One left and two right. I'm very happey with them.