PDA

View Full Version : Cool Breeze in Ventura, CA

CaliFly
08-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Did anybody else ride in this event this past Saturday (8/19)? Just curious.

This was my first organized ride after getting my first roadie (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18977&highlight=colorado) a couple months ago. I'd been riding 40 miles a week recently as I was planning to do the mini-metric.

My group started at about 7:00 in the morning, and I was just amazed at the number of people who had already arrived for this events...all different shapes, sizes, colors and persuasions. The marine layer kept all riders at a cool 65 degrees most of the morning. Everyone felt good, and I think we ended up riding at a faster pace than we were used to. The 23 miles to the first rest stop was pretty flat and uneventful. The fruits and breads were a welcome site, and the overall mood was cheerful. At this point, riders doing the mini-metric were to return to the start in order to complete the 38 mile loop.

One of the guys in my group suggested that we keep going. Having failed at coming up with a decent argument the rest of us agreed. We continued up the coast a little then followed the route inland. We didn't have the slips for any of the other rides, so we just followed the other riders. This section of the route had a wee bit of climbing. Still, I felt pretty good and kept on trucking.

We turned around near the Santa Barbara polo grounds, and the feelings of fatigue started to set in. Again, the climbs came, and, again, I slogged through it. We soon returned to the rest stop at Rincon Point for one last energy boost and the famed popsicles.

I spent 10 of the last 15 miles drafting anyone I could latch onto. Part of my group was miles ahead...but I took solace in the fact that others were still behind. My thighs were burning and my shoulders ached, but I was determined to finish while still on my bike. I caught my second wind (thankfully) with just a few miles to go, and I relished in the thought of finishing my longest ride ever in my short riding career. I finished with about 61 miles on my computer, a bit of saddle soreness and a smile on my face.

Fun stuff. I'll probably do the century next year. But I'll definitely train for it.

Serpico
08-21-2006, 02:18 PM
congrats :)

shoe
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
great job califly- it is fun to reach new goals. be careful though - because then you want to keep going further and further. there are some double centuries out your way....maybe two years from now....dave

CaliFly
08-21-2006, 02:36 PM
there are some double centuries out your way....maybe two years from now....dave

My butt hurts just thinking about that!

Blastinbob
08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Great job! :beer: :beer:
I rode the century on my new Sachs. The bike performed perfectly on the mostly scenic the 101 mile 4500 vertical ft. course. Even though it was overcast the temps were perfect for riding. Now you need to set another goal....tour de poway in Oct.? keep on bikin'!!!