PDA

View Full Version : Ot: New vw atlas

alancw3
05-10-2017, 03:33 AM
anyone seen one yet? supposedly vw's almost full size suv. available early may. per website looks like vw is offering launch pricing on a couple of models. featured on latest episode of motor week on pbs.

http://www.vw.com/models/atlas/?ssem=ssem_O9NIhD3y_154648658129_c&gclid=CL_ws5z05NMCFYtXDQod7rgBPw&mkwid=sO9NIhD3y_154648658129_vw%20atlas_e_c&mtid=901kjf6786&slid=&product_id=

pjm
05-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Typical VW, advertising the hell out of something that's not even at the dealerships yet. 6 year, 72,000 mile warranty is nice. Supposedly, new Tiguan will have it, too.

AngryScientist
05-10-2017, 07:12 AM
i'm sure it meets or exceeds all emissions regulations too :D

superbowlpats
05-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Havent seen one in person yet but online and TV looks really nice and is priced reasonably. Definitely fills a hole in their lineup but they should have come out with a 7 passenger SUV years ago.

echelon_john
05-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Two word review: "Atlas? Shrug."

batman1425
05-10-2017, 07:49 AM
There's been buzz about it on vwvortex for a while. It doesn't really do it for me and I think it will feel dramatically underpowered unless you get the V6. The 2.0T is going to be anemic - 235hp with a 4300lb curb weight.

The safety stuff and gadgets are cool (I have all of it but the glass cockpit in my R and its nice and well executed) but the competition in this space is fierce. Personally I don't see VW doing anything unique with this offering that the other more well established players aren't already doing well.

AngryScientist
05-10-2017, 07:55 AM
i guess i just dont get the big SUV thing. It just seems that a mini van is so much more convenient to haul lots of people around, and i doubt any of these will see any "off road" duty. is it still an image thing to not want to drive a mini van?

charliedid
05-10-2017, 07:57 AM

haha

batman1425
05-10-2017, 08:07 AM
i guess i just dont get the big SUV thing. It just seems that a mini van is so much more convenient to haul lots of people around, and i doubt any of these will see any "off road" duty. is it still an image thing to not want to drive a mini van?

^^^This. I'd say 70% of the SUV drivers out there would be better suited with a mini-van of some kind. Unless you are towing heavy things regularly, I can't see a justification beyond image.

old fat man
05-10-2017, 08:32 AM
^^^This. I'd say 70% of the SUV drivers out there would be better suited with a mini-van of some kind. Unless you are towing heavy things regularly, I can't see a justification beyond image.

You gave the reason why large SUV's continue to be popular. I drove a Dodge Grand Caravan as a teenager instead of my older sister's POS Chevy Blazer cuz I didn't care about the image. Now, my wife drives a Honda Pilot and absolutely refuses to go smaller or to a minivan despite us being a family of 4 that uses the 3rd row at most, twice a year. I bought a wagon to avoid the need to take the gas guzzling SUV so often.

This VW will appeal to people who want an X5 or Q7 or whatever Mercedes calls their largest SUV but are stuck on a Honda Pilot/Toyota Highlander budget

batman1425
05-10-2017, 08:48 AM
This VW will appeal to people who want an X5 or Q7 or whatever Mercedes calls their largest SUV but are stuck on a Honda Pilot/Toyota Highlander budget

Exactly this. Though if given the choice I would still take a Pilot, Highlander, or even and Explorer, over the Atlas despite being a current VW and former Audi owner.

tv_vt
05-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Ha ha. Well played. And I'm with you on this. Could care less about a monster SUV from VW.

Now if they made a wagon 6mt GTI, I'd be all, all over it.:crap:

54ny77
05-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Yes.

Sure, they're easy to drive, comfortable, plenty quick for what they are, and can hold a metric s&^! ton of stuff. I recently spent an unfortunate week in a perfectly nice one during family vaca.

But man, there just ain't nothin' more demoralizing a vehicle if you're a car guy. It means you've surrendered. You've been neutered. A night out at Chili's followed by shopping at Bed Bath & Beyond will seem like fun.

In other words, it's game over.

:banana:

GregL
05-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Yes.

Sure, they're easy to drive, comfortable, plenty quick for what they are, and can hold a metric s&^! ton of stuff. I recently spent an unfortunate week in a perfectly nice one during family vaca.

But man, there just ain't nothin' more demoralizing a vehicle if you're a car guy. It means you've surrendered. You've been neutered. A night out at Chili's followed by shopping at Bed Bath & Beyond will seem like fun.

In other words, it's game over.

Ah, but if you're a bike guy, the minivan is awesome. When I was the primary driver of the family minivan, I could easily take myself plus three teammates to races with four bikes, spare wheels, and all our gear INSIDE the van. Comfortably. When I went to local races by myself, I could bring multiple bikes and wheels and still have the entire mid-section of the van available as a dressing room/staging area.

If you can separate your ego from your vehicle, minivans are great!

Greg

54ny77
05-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Oh, not disagreeing with you whatsoever. :beer:

Totally get the practical nature of them. I recently drove several hundred miles in one, it was the equivalent of a 6 cyl. barcalounger with enough seating for a football team, cubic storage of a freightliner trailer, and just about as many cupholders needed to accommodate every bar-goer in key west. And then some.

My 12 year old nephew summed it up perfectly: "This car is not cool."

Ah, but if you're a bike guy, the minivan is awesome. When I was the primary driver of the family minivan, I could easily take myself plus three teammates to races with four bikes, spare wheels, and all our gear INSIDE the van. Comfortably. When I went to local races by myself, I could bring multiple bikes and wheels and still have the entire mid-section of the van available as a dressing room/staging area.

If you can separate your ego from your vehicle, minivans are great!

Greg

GregL
05-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Clearly the young man is wise beyond his years. A minivan is very uncool. It's great to have when there's a new teenage driver in your house:

New driver: "Can I borrow a car?"
Parent: "Sure, take the minivan."
New driver: "I guess I'll just walk."

As a stereotypical engineer, I am forced to go totally practical and admit that a minivan is the best combination people/bike moving vehicle ever invented. And when I'm traveling to cycling events, I secretly miss driving the minivan.

Greg

54ny77
05-10-2017, 10:21 AM
They also, unfortunately, have enough space to comfortably accommodate in-laws. That alone disqualifies me from ever owning one.

:bike:

Clearly the young man is wise beyond his years. A minivan is very uncool. It's great to have when there's a new teenage driver in your house:

New driver: "Can I borrow a car?"
Parent: "Sure, take the minivan."
New driver: "I guess I'll just walk."

As a stereotypical engineer, I am forced to go totally practical and admit that a minivan is the best combination people/bike moving vehicle ever invented. And when I'm traveling to cycling events, I secretly miss driving the minivan.

Greg

benb
05-10-2017, 10:45 AM
I'd almost argue the Honda and Toyota Minivans w/V6 are more fun to drive than a lot of the SUVs on the market.

Lower ride height, often less weight, lower center of gravity. Less weird engine/ECU tuning to try and make up for the huge weight by aggressively upshifting to try and make the EPA numbers.

AngryScientist
05-10-2017, 10:50 AM
i would rather drive my honda minivan on a long trip any day of the week over a large SUV.

of course ripping down the road in a sport tuned coupe would be more enjoyable, but modern minivans drive very well. Conversely, many of these honking big SUVs that utilize a FWD based platform dont drive well at all, and many are quite underpowered for their weight.

vans rule.

bigman
05-10-2017, 11:49 AM
I saw one at the NY auto show - thought it looked to be very well made like most VW products. Only sat in front seat which was fine, all cars to day are truly improved.

alancw3
05-10-2017, 12:37 PM
i would agree with those that think a minivan is the most utliarian vehicle out there. i still have a 2007 dodge grand caravan that i love. so practical and can accommodate a 4X8 piece of plywood. oh and you can just throw a bike in the back without removing the front wheel.

ColonelJLloyd
05-10-2017, 12:47 PM
i would rather drive my honda minivan on a long trip any day of the week over a large SUV.

of course ripping down the road in a sport tuned coupe would be more enjoyable, but modern minivans drive very well. Conversely, many of these honking big SUVs that utilize a FWD based platform dont drive well at all, and many are quite underpowered for their weight.

vans rule.

I don't disagree, but in the interest of full disclosure you shouldn't omit the fact that you were, I assume, paid to be in that 2011 Odyssey commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0obCX2puVBI).

gasman
05-10-2017, 01:00 PM
This was an interesting comparison between a Honda Odyssey, a porch 356 and my all time favorite design a Jaguar XKE.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/soccer-moms-revenge/

The Honda beat both of them on the autocross course. Who says modern vans don't handle well ?

donevwil
05-10-2017, 01:18 PM

My nephew calls my '01 grand Caravan ES "the Sports Van". I like my nephew.

My wife took it on a trip to Seattle with her bike, six upholstered formal dining room chairs, a rocking chair, two cases of wine and all her luggage. I'm left with her Focus (ugh!).

The question is what to get when it dies, minivans today are so bloated with tech, hiding seats, etc. that if you don't have kids or haul people it's a waste. My van's back seats are in the attic, no need for them in the van. Commercial vans are at the other extreme.