PDA

View Full Version : Serotta tubing question

farmallguy
05-09-2017, 01:51 PM
I saw two Serotta tubing decals on EBay today. One was CC tubing, presumably Colorado Concept. The other was CCL tubing. What does CCL stand for? Just curious.

Jack

Black Dog
05-09-2017, 01:54 PM
I saw two Serotta tubing decals on EBay today. One was CC tubing, presumably Colorado Concept. The other was CCL tubing. What does CCL stand for? Just curious.

Jack

I think that CCL is Colorado Concept Light. A thinner walled version of the tube set. I am not 100% certain of this. Smarter folks than me will confirm or reject this.

oliver1850
05-09-2017, 02:43 PM
In 1994 CO Concept Light was used on the CRL and the TTR, while the TG and the CR got the CO Concept tubing. The early CSI also used CCL. In 1999 the CSI's tubing began to be designated C4S. I wonder if the tubing changed, or just the name.

farmallguy
05-10-2017, 06:26 AM
In 1994 CO Concept Light was used on the CRL and the TTR, while the TG and the CR got the CO Concept tubing. The early CSI also used CCL. In 1999 the CSI's tubing began to be designated C4S. I wonder if the tubing changed, or just the name.

Okay, I see the progression over time now. I too wonder what changed about the tubing, maybe what Serotta did to the tubing, swaging and butting techniques. And the C4S is steel and C4Ti is of course titanium, so what does the C4 actually represent?

Hilltopperny
05-10-2017, 06:43 AM
The C4S designation bikes have ovalized top tubes vs C3S which the top tubes were not ovalized. I could be wrong as this is going on memory.

AngryScientist
05-10-2017, 07:10 AM
i'm not sure how much would be spelled out, but dont forget that we have the catalog section here and many of the old S catalogs are archived there. might be worth a perusal if you're interested.

Black Dog
05-10-2017, 08:16 AM
The C4S designation bikes have ovalized top tubes vs C3S which the top tubes were not ovalized. I could be wrong as this is going on memory.

My 91 colorado II has an ovalized top tube; long before the C4 designation came to be. FWIW.

Hilltopperny
05-10-2017, 09:17 AM
My 91 colorado II has an ovalized top tube; long before the C4 designation came to be. FWIW.

Yes my tg did as well, but my concours and Atlanta didn't and they were both c3s. My old csi was also c4s with an ovalized top tube :beer:

rayms
01-02-2021, 06:36 PM
What is the tubing thickness for the CCL?

oliver1850
01-02-2021, 10:10 PM
That's a question that you need to run by Dave Kirk or Kelly Bedford. My guess is that the Colorado tubes of the CR/CRL era had wall thicknesses that were comparable to the best Columbus tubes at the time. EL-OS would have been in production at that time, not sure if the "named" tubesets like Genius and Brain had been introduced. EL-OS was .7/.4 for the top and down tubes.

http://equusbicycle.com/bike/columbus/columbuschart.htm