PDA

View Full Version : OK, Next Brooks Saddle question then!

Dave B
08-21-2006, 12:36 PM
OK, got the answer I needed and thus am posed with a new one. I love the feel of my Brooks B-17, but the look of it on a road bike is not particularly to my liking.

What model is more road oriented. I have read on other forums that people have cut the leather on the sides so that it does not look so bulky. Has anyone ever tried or seen some one do that? I would be afraid that it would lead to some sort of failure.

Thanks everyone!

Mr. T
08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Granted the B17 can look a little bulky on some bikes, but it's such a great seat. The swift is a racier looking saddle though not as wide as a B17. Cutting the leather isn't going to hurt squat. Just be sure to make it look pretty. Check out http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html for some butchering ideas...

Gothard
08-21-2006, 01:11 PM
The Swift and team professional look more modern (less prehistoric?).
Some say the team pro takes longer to tame. I have one of each and like them both.

H1449-6
08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
I have an Ideale 90 (similar to but narrower than the B17) on my roadie and it looks fine. Same large flaps on the side, exposed adjustment nut, etc.

Ray
08-21-2006, 01:21 PM
The Swift, Pro, and (particularly) Swallow look less bulky and somewhat more racey, if that's what you're after.

BUT...

These saddles also feel VERY different than a B-17. I'm OK with the Pro, can't stand the Swift, and can't afford to find out about the Swallow. If you really like the feel of the B-17, don't assume you'll like these other ones. The leather and the break in are important parts of the Brooks experience, but never underestimate the importance of the shape.

-Ray

SoCalSteve
08-21-2006, 01:29 PM
The Swift, Pro, and (particularly) Swallow look less bulky and somewhat more racey, if that's what you're after.

BUT...

These saddles also feel VERY different than a B-17. I'm OK with the Pro, can't stand the Swift, and can't afford to find out about the Swallow. If you really like the feel of the B-17, don't assume you'll like these other ones. The leather and the break in are important parts of the Brooks experience, but never underestimate the importance of the shape.

-Ray

So true, so true...

I felt the same way about the way they looked (bulky) and tried all the different models. I eventually returned to the B-17 and now own 4 of them.

I have learned to love them as they truly have changed the way I feel about cycling. I can now go for a very long time without feeling the discomfort that I used to feel with the more "modern-plastic" saddles.

Who cares how they look!

Just one mans opinion,

Steve

Ken Robb
08-21-2006, 01:29 PM
when the shape is right you don't need any break-in to be comfy. I like B-17 and my Pro is ok too (though it lacks bag loops). The skinnier Brooks didn't work as well for me. Maybe those would require a break-in for me to love them, I don't know. Interestingly I have several bikes with Ariones that are fine too (not as comfy as B17 but better than Swallow/Swift) and they weigh a lot less.

Dave B
08-21-2006, 01:36 PM
when the shape is right you don't need any break-in to be comfy. I like B-17 and my Pro is ok too (though it lacks bag loops). The skinnier Brooks didn't work as well for me. Maybe those would require a break-in for me to love them, I don't know. Interestingly I have several bikes with Ariones that are fine too (not as comfy as B17 but better than Swallow/Swift) and they weigh a lot less.

That is what I have now and it is no way as comfortable as my B-17. The link I got earlier has some interesting stuff to the B-17. Not sure I want to purchase tools, but maybe smething to cut it and a dremel would work.

Ray
08-21-2006, 01:50 PM
That is what I have now and it is no way as comfortable as my B-17. The link I got earlier has some interesting stuff to the B-17. Not sure I want to purchase tools, but maybe smething to cut it and a dremel would work.
Most of the opinions I've seen is that people who love the Arione aren't crazy about the Aliante and visa-versa. I personally love the B-17, like the Pro a lot, and am totally passionately in love with the Aliante (ok, this is not literally true in any sense, but you get the point). So, if you want to spend a lot of money to try a skinny plastic saddle that a lot of people seem to really dig, you might want to give the Aliante a try before going to only B-17s.

-Ray

Ken Robb
08-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I have heard but don't KNOW that the Arione may/will break down with use as the the plastic, which is designed to flex, weakens and cracks. I have so many bikes and weak legs so I haven't put enough miles on any one saddle to experience this.

It's obvious that a Brooks that is given reasonable care will last many 1,000s of miles and at about $60 it's got to be a bargain.

I also like and frequently use the bag loops.

Serpico
08-21-2006, 02:17 PM
I have heard but don't KNOW that the Arione may/will break down with use as the the plastic, which is designed to flex, weakens and cracks.

I thought this was interesting, RE: the cracks

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione.shtml

I liked both the Arione and the Aliante, I'm on an Aliante right now

Dave B
08-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Well, maybe I need more time to "break the Saddle" so that it will be more comfortable! :beer: