PDA

View Full Version : New centaur group

icepick_trotsky
05-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Did this get mentioned yet? New Centaur group to replace Veloce. Bummer about the Powershift, but I think it looks pretty nice.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/222159-first-ride-campagnolo-relaunches-centaur-11-speed-groupset

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/centaur-2017-2.jpg?itok=Q-Q5wQMV

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/centaur-2017-2-7.jpg?itok=ruWjqqrq

paredown
05-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Makes me want to continue hoarding the old stuff--the new levers are nice (although I just sold my only set), but those cranks are fugly!

(Are those cracks at the end of the spider, or are those mold marks?:banana:)

maximus
05-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Will be grabbing one of the 32t cassettes...

Hopefully a bit cheaper than Potenza.

The chain (literally) looks pretty nice too.

EDIT: I am probably just missing it, but does it say when the group will be coming to the market?

stephenmarklay
05-09-2017, 11:26 AM
How does this differ from Potenza?

R3awak3n
05-09-2017, 11:49 AM

cheaper. and looks cheaper. that said I think it looks fine and I like that is getting introduced. I kind of like the matte look and I am sure it will work very well.

Bostic
05-09-2017, 11:52 AM
What are the cogs in the 12-32 ? They followed SRAM for the 11-32.

Anarchist
05-09-2017, 11:52 AM
I remember when Centaur was a beautiful and elegant product.

Those days are certainly gone.

merckx
05-09-2017, 11:56 AM
I remember when Campagnolo was a beautiful and elegant product.

R3awak3n
05-09-2017, 12:00 PM
whats the beef? this is 1 groupset, you now have 5 different groups to choose from.

ok I know people are still bitching about the crank, which looks fine and actually looks better on modern bikes than the old one. But I understand, chance is hard...

still tons of the old crankset for sale so buy a new group, buy the old crank, everyone is happy

ColonelJLloyd
05-09-2017, 12:04 PM
whats the beef? this is 1 groupset, you now have 5 different groups to choose from.

ok I know people are still bitching about the crank, which looks fine and actually looks better on modern bikes than the old one. But I understand, chance is hard...

still tons of the old crankset for sale so buy a new group, buy the old crank, everyone is happy

You didn't get the email from the mods? Today is a special day for even more belly aching than usual with bonus points for sharing lots of personal information your fellow forumites wish they'd not read. Aren't you going to join in?

Anarchist
05-09-2017, 12:14 PM
I remember when Campagnolo was a beautiful and elegant product.

??????????????

thirdgenbird
05-09-2017, 12:17 PM

It appears to have a cheaper matte finish, lower spec rd, and lower spec brakes. Fortunately, the finish looks fine by me. I may even like it better than potenza. It also marks the return of alloy ultra-torque.

I think this group is a big win. No, it won't look the same as old centaur on vintage steel, but it should look right at home in about any modern frame.

Silver is apparently coming. I speculate that it may be a matte silver. Could be cool...

AngryScientist
05-09-2017, 12:22 PM
i like it.

i cant wait to see the silver.

Ultra-torque too, good stuff.

as i mentioned in the other thread, i predict powertorque cranks will go away next year.

merckx
05-09-2017, 12:37 PM
In the event that perspective has been misplaced.

thwart
05-09-2017, 01:25 PM
All this talk about aesthetics and progress...

Ironic that I spent a couple of hrs yesterday pulling off 11 spd stuff and installing this instead.

I'd have to agree with the opinion that the appearance of those flat black 4 spoke cranks works well with modern carbon bikes. Ugly looks OK in the same company.

;)

Black Dog
05-09-2017, 01:34 PM
i like it.

i cant wait to see the silver.

Ultra-torque too, good stuff.

as i mentioned in the other thread, i predict powertorque cranks will go away next year.

This may happen but with a self extracting bolt on PT campy should go with it for the lower cost.

ColonelJLloyd
05-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Is the disc group going to come in this finish? I kind of like the look of a flat black nondescript group.

saab2000
05-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Ironic that I spent a couple of hrs yesterday pulling off 11 spd stuff and installing this instead.

I'd have to agree with the opinion that the appearance of those flat black 4 spoke cranks works well with modern carbon bikes. Ugly looks OK in the same company.

;)

I've thought about going back to those too. I honestly think I prefer that lever shape.

54ny77
05-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Preaching. To. The. Choir. Sir!

I'm hopeful in this lifetime Campy will make an all-alloy top shelf group.

OperaLover
05-09-2017, 01:40 PM

That shiny silver stuff was so hard to keep clean . . .

(Ducking . . .)

:banana:

AngryScientist
05-09-2017, 01:42 PM
I'm hopeful in this lifetime Campy will make an all-alloy top shelf group.

very unlikely. top shelf groups get hung on race bikes. race bikes that are actually raced in 2017 are carbon fiber, and so are the groups that get hung on them.

54ny77
05-09-2017, 01:46 PM
i am resigned to that.

that's why god invented silver alloy-looking spray paint....:banana:

very unlikely. top shelf groups get hung on race bikes. race bikes that are actually raced in 2017 are carbon fiber, and so are the groups that get hung on them.

dbh
05-09-2017, 02:53 PM
So are they still making new 10 speed groups or is everything now 11?

oldpotatoe
05-09-2017, 03:07 PM
cheaper. and looks cheaper. that said I think it looks fine and I like that is getting introduced. I kind of like the matte look and I am sure it will work very well.

105 competitor..Cheaper than Potenza. UT crank.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2017, 03:09 PM
So are they still making new 10 speed groups or is everything now 11?

Centaur will replace Veloce..10s..but not for a while. Probably more for 2018.

BUT they still make 8 and 9s cogsets so I wouldn't get too sweated up yet.

merckx
05-09-2017, 03:21 PM

;)

Campy 10v was the finest Ergopower iteration. They were the best hand-holds without being frumpy.

Ralph
05-09-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm still using Centaur 10 shifters....one Ultra Tq and one Power Tq. Will move up when they wear out.

The only reason I don't change now is I have no need for cassettes starting with 11 or 12. Still use a 52 big ring. And my favorite 10 cassette is a 13-26, and there is no 11 cassette with 13-19 straight. Just haven't felt the need to move up. I'm not a retro grouch, and don't fight technology, so will move up when I need to. With 11's cassette, would probably want to use a crank with 48 big ring.

Anarchist
05-09-2017, 04:22 PM

I have at least one of each of those either on a bike, or in a box waiting to go on a bike.

maximus
05-09-2017, 04:26 PM
@oldpotatoe

Not to divert the thread, but since the subject of pretty silver Campy parts has come up....

I have a pair of the newer shape Centaur 10s Ultrashift levers (multiple shifts in either direction) that they made for a brief time - is it possible to "upgrade" the indexing to 11s?

I don't have a burning desire to do this, but I am curious.

---

Honestly, I think we should all be grateful Campagnolo has bothered to release multiple silver groupsets. I agree, the aesthetics of the current cranks have nothing on the "hidden arm" designs of past, but the crank is the most easily swappable piece of the puzzle if you wanted to use something older. The benefit of the new design is the relatively easy ability to swap chainrings - though it looks like there is a new disc-specific ring design if you're drinking that koolaid...

ultraman6970
05-09-2017, 05:01 PM
11 speed? why in the world do I need that??? Man if veloce is going gonzo :(

Bostic
05-09-2017, 05:01 PM
I still have my old Alloy 1st generation Gumby style Centaur levers that had the notorious soft clicks. I took them apart some years ago and they have been lying in a box.

So... Can the Alloy brake blades and inner alloy paddles from those old Centaur shifters be put on perfectly good new Chorus shifters? I realize how ridiculous that sounds, all in the name of silver.

rwsaunders
05-09-2017, 08:01 PM
I have a pair of Powershift Centaur 10-speed Ergos on one bike and while I miss the multiple shifts, I like the newer shape of the hoods and the shifting is very precise.

Ralph
05-09-2017, 08:05 PM
I have the newer hood style 10 speed Ultra Shift on one bike, and Power Shift on another. I don't prefer one over another for just riding. Sure the Ultra Shift dumps, but I think the Power Shift shifts better in some ways. Has a lighter feel when shifting....easier on my thumbs.

Ronsonic
05-09-2017, 08:24 PM

That's all true. :fight: But, high quality bikes with a classic aesthetic, both old and new, would be a significant niche that Campy could easily own. Of course that's the view from where I sit without real market numbers. It's probably a niche withing a segment within a corner of the market.

I do like where they're going with this new group. Centaur/Daytona was pretty much THE minimum wage racing group in the day and that's what it looks like Campagnolo is going for here.

thirdgenbird
05-09-2017, 09:27 PM
I still have my old Alloy 1st generation Gumby style Centaur levers that had the notorious soft clicks. I took them apart some years ago and they have been lying in a box.

So... Can the Alloy brake blades and inner alloy paddles from those old Centaur shifters be put on perfectly good new Chorus shifters? I realize how ridiculous that sounds, all in the name of silver.

Yes, it should work just fine. I've seen several combos like this.

Elefantino
05-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Anything Campagnolo is beautiful.

PNW
05-09-2017, 10:23 PM
And here I am just deciding on going with Super Record 11 speed on my bike..i'd roll this over 105 any day!

Charles M
05-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Centaur will come silver as well as Potenza

Ah and this is Potenza with some polish work...

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/ef035e_623a0a77dc544342ab17885c7d6539c1~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_960,h_720,al_c,q_90/ef035e_623a0a77dc544342ab17885c7d6539c1~mv2.webp

But I think this is now just a b!tch about looks thing so I'll go away...

after saying I like the Potenza and Centaur... The function is very good, the prices are competitive with Ultegra and 105 and the weights are where they should be.

Not sure who else has used both groups...

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18342621_10210737686652307_1862783531262605009_n.j pg?oh=36e074e4860774d265b89741eacc90c5&oe=597CDAC9

Elefantino
05-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Sad to see the Veloce name go away, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
05-10-2017, 04:11 AM
@oldpotatoe

Not to divert the thread, but since the subject of pretty silver Campy parts has come up....

I have a pair of the newer shape Centaur 10s Ultrashift levers (multiple shifts in either direction) that they made for a brief time - is it possible to "upgrade" the indexing to 11s?

I don't have a burning desire to do this, but I am curious.

---

Honestly, I think we should all be grateful Campagnolo has bothered to release multiple silver groupsets. I agree, the aesthetics of the current cranks have nothing on the "hidden arm" designs of past, but the crank is the most easily swappable piece of the puzzle if you wanted to use something older. The benefit of the new design is the relatively easy ability to swap chainrings - though it looks like there is a new disc-specific ring design if you're drinking that koolaid...

Yup, pretty easy too..about $65 plus some labor for 2 parts..one in the front of the lever and the rear 11s 'disc'..I have the parts.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2017, 04:12 AM

YUP..easy..I can do it for $25 labor per lever. Have to take it completely apart..for shift lever blade.

thirdgenbird
05-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Sad to see the Veloce name go away, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my only (minor) complaint. Centaur looks fine by me but I would rather see the veloce name.

More importantly, I want that Campagnolo jersey.

Charles M
05-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Lovin the kit... I've worn it 3 times in 5 days :)

Anarchist
05-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Lovin the kit... I've worn it 3 times in 5 days :)

The important question is, where did you get that ?

Bostic
05-10-2017, 09:51 AM
YUP..easy..I can do it for $25 labor per lever. Have to take it completely apart..for shift lever blade.

Thank you, that is good to know. Still deciding on what to do for my Steve Rex. It's been running 5800 105 for more than a year and, well, it does deserve better if nothing more than aesthetically.

maximus
05-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Yup, pretty easy too..about $65 plus some labor for 2 parts..one in the front of the lever and the rear 11s 'disc'..I have the parts.

Thanks for the reply. You may be getting a PM from me sometime in the future!

colker
05-10-2017, 10:37 AM
I remember when Centaur was a beautiful and elegant product.

I have the old centaur and the cranks looked always cheap against record.

colker
05-10-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm still using Centaur 10 shifters....one Ultra Tq and one Power Tq. Will move up when they wear out.

The only reason I don't change now is I have no need for cassettes starting with 11 or 12. Still use a 52 big ring. And my favorite 10 cassette is a 13-26, and there is no 11 cassette with 13-19 straight. Just haven't felt the need to move up. I'm not a retro grouch, and don't fight technology, so will move up when I need to. With 11's cassette, would probably want to use a crank with 48 big ring.

What he said:beer:

colker
05-10-2017, 10:45 AM
More importantly, I want that Campagnolo jersey.

That´s all folks!!:beer:

Charles M
05-10-2017, 11:04 AM
The important question is, where did you get that ?

I got it in the Canary Islands at Campagnolo's Disc/Centaur product Launch :)

Robbos
05-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Some forumites seem to be irked when others express their distaste for Campy changes. Well, I'll exercise my right to complain on the forum.
The new Centaur marks a new low for Campy. I never wanted to get to hung up on asthetics, hell I'm still coming to terms with my 5800 cranks. But this stuff...
The brakes look like generic/low end Tetros. The rear derailleur and cranks, well, I don't know what to say other than ugh. As I've said before, I say this as 1) A Campy fan, and 2) the value of having strong competition. I don't expect Campy to go back in time and revive any old groupsets. I hope this works for them, but I sure cannot see myself hanging this stuff on any bike.

Charles M
05-11-2017, 02:07 PM
That's one way to look at it...

When I have the parts in hand and I'm using them, I don't have the same take.

in another forum folks are bitching about the looks as "to modern" and "not a big change"...

Of all the critical points out there, I think the least worthy are about "looks"... It's the lazy troll's (not that you're a lazy troll at all) go-to comment.

thirdgenbird
05-12-2017, 10:04 AM
It looks like my matte silver speculation was wrong.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites/default/files/styles/colorbox_popup/public/images/article/gallery/CEderagliaSaldSILVER-2018%20copy.jpg?itok=AibarhTg

Good price, silver finish, and ultra torque. It won't be for everyone, but I dig it.

I think it would be really cool if they added a mechanical disc that used the same discs and pads as the hydraulic group. I doubt they would, but it would be a cool option, especially silver.

oldpotatoe
05-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Some forumites seem to be irked when others express their distaste for Campy changes. Well, I'll exercise my right to complain on the forum.
The new Centaur marks a new low for Campy. I never wanted to get to hung up on asthetics, hell I'm still coming to terms with my 5800 cranks. But this stuff...
The brakes look like generic/low end Tetros. The rear derailleur and cranks, well, I don't know what to say other than ugh. As I've said before, I say this as 1) A Campy fan, and 2) the value of having strong competition. I don't expect Campy to go back in time and revive any old groupsets. I hope this works for them, but I sure cannot see myself hanging this stuff on any bike.

Ya 'might' want to remember which shimano and sram group this will compete with 5800 and apex(yuk) win no awards for looking like the ones above it..imho, of course. Function counts.

ColonelJLloyd
05-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Ya 'might' want to remember which shimano and sram group this will compete with 5800 and apex(yuk) win no awards for looking like the ones above it..imho, of course. Function counts.

FWIW, I think Rival (not Apex) is the direct competitor to 105.

Robbos
05-12-2017, 10:33 AM

Fair enough. I think 5800 is very tough competition. For Apex, yuk indeed. Maybe looks better than new Centaur, but other than brakes, not a nice groupset. Front Apex derailleur is Junk IMO.

R3awak3n
05-12-2017, 10:50 AM
I have to say, the close up pic of the brakes and the RD are not so great. That finish really does look cheap but I guess that is what they are going for. There are so many choices.

On the other end, the silver thirdgenbird posted looks great.

thirdgenbird
05-12-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking the matte black would look killer on a raw alloy frame. Add some 50mm carbon hoops and you could have a budget crit monster.

Edit: any raw alloy or to really. I can picture some cool cross and gravel rigs. It may put great with Yokozuna discs.

Alan
05-12-2017, 11:19 AM
I am definitely interested in trying this as more bang for the buck than Potenza.

This should be a great value even with US prices.

Alan

brockd15
05-12-2017, 01:22 PM
It looks low end to me, but then again, I guess it is (at least in Campy hierarchy). There's a place for everything so I don't have a problem with it, as if that would matter.

When the four arm cranks came out I thought they were *hideous*. They've grown on me since then to the point that on most bikes they would be my choice over the five arm, but it depends on the frame.

Ralph
05-12-2017, 03:14 PM
It looks fine to me.....especially for it's price point. If you want performance at a reasonable price in the Campy lineup, this works fine. Or for a bike that might get crashed or ridden hard....or tossed in back of van with a bunch of other race bikes.

If you were looking to buy "bike jewelry" for your dream frame, you wouldn't be looking at the bottom group anyway.

Ronsonic
05-12-2017, 08:42 PM
It looks fine to me.....especially for it's price point. If you want performance at a reasonable price in the Campy lineup, this works fine. Or for a bike that might get crashed or ridden hard....or tossed in back of van with a bunch of other race bikes.

If you were looking to buy "bike jewelry" for your dream frame, you wouldn't be looking at the bottom group anyway.

This looks like a perfect visual and functional fit with a generic carbon frame for a young or broke racer. That's where Centaur has been, the group for racers who have to pay for their own gear.