PDA

View Full Version : Proofide and other saddles

Dave B
08-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I have a Brooks B-17 on my mountain bike and I love it. Proofided the heck out of it.

My question is on other saddles (if it is real leather) will proofide help to break them in as well?

I am looking at a specialized toupe' saddle and was curious if the proofide would make any difference?

zap
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
No.

Gothard
08-21-2006, 10:35 AM
While it can not hurt the leather, it will likely not help with breaking in, as the structure and stiffness of the saddle comes not from the leather but from the (likely plastic) shell and foam padding.

dave thompson
08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
I have a Brooks B-17 on my mountain bike and I love it. Proofided the heck out of it.

My question is on other saddles (if it is real leather) will proofide help to break them in as well?

I am looking at a specialized toupe' saddle and was curious if the proofide would make any difference?
I believe that Proofide is more of a protector (beeswax, conditioner etc.) than anything else. Using it on the Toupe couldn't hurt (it may change the color slightly if the saddle is white) the leather is only a cover over thin padding and a shell.

(Gothard is much faster on the keyboard than I am! :o: )

swoop
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
in theory, plastic and carbon saddles don't break-in. they do break down. the break down means it's replacement time (this if you ride a lot).
so the correct answer is no.