PDA

View Full Version : Carbon stems at Roubaix

zap
04-12-2004, 10:31 AM
I think the Quick Step boys used Time's carbon stem for yesterdays race. Is this the first time carbon stems were used at this event?

Watching F1 races this year I've noticed that carbon composite suspension components are able to take far more abuse than in previous years.

It appears that more and more engineers have a better understanding of composite technology. Good for us.

saab2000
04-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Carbon costs A LOT more than other things and in the case of bars, it is as yet an unproven technology. Also, it is not lighter in many applications, including stems. The Time stem is no lightweight.

I am not saying that it will not be great, but the costs are really high. I purchased a set of Modolo carbon bars which are still waiting to be installed on my new Strong. The cost was outrageous, but the shape is very desirable.

I do believe that the technology may become truly viable, but I am very fearful of the day when $300-$500 bar/stem combos are the norm and adjustability will suffer.

Carbon is cool, but I remain cautious and wary in my optimism.

Having said that, I would like an Ottrott and a C-50 and a Parlee hanging in my garage!!

Andreu
04-12-2004, 12:06 PM
I have seen a couple of references on "bikes being left in cars + heat" is potentially a bad thing. Is this just erring on the safe or...does anybody have any thoughts, experience of bike bits (carbon or otherwise) actually "melting" in a car?
A

vaxn8r
04-14-2004, 01:46 PM
I would think it would be a bad thing for lubrication. My primary concern would be hubs, BB, headset.

I've heard that heat/cold cycles can stress a welded joint....maybe carbon joints too. Have people heard that you should hose down a bike in cold water on a hot day? I can't believe this is a huge concern...I've never seen a bike lug/joint come unwelded or unglued. I've heard CF and ti have similar expansion properties,whatever that means, so they may be less susceptible to damage. CF and aluminum is supposedly a terrible match so the carbon and alum interface has to be isolated. Any other experiences or thoughts?

I'd actually be curious what Ben might have to say regarding CF and the CF/ti bonds regarding heat stress.