PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite gumwall clincher tires?

dgauthier
05-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Rather than interlope upon the wonderful gumwall photo thread, I thought I'd start this one:

What are your favorite gumwall clincher tires? I love gumwalls, but my favorite tire, Veloflex, is too delicate as a gumwall. The gum sidewalls scuff and fray in no time, while the black goop Veloflex uses to make their blackwalls also seems to make the sidewalls considerably tougher.

What are your favorite gumwall clincher tires that are both very robust and ride as nicely as a Veloflex?

Cicli
05-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Compass.

exapkib
05-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Vittoria Corsa g+ (so far).

thwart
05-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Challenge Strada Bianca, in the 260 tpi version.

Robust... check.

Ride as nicely as a Veloflex... check.

tuscanyswe
05-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Vittoria Corsa g+ (so far).

Id take the older corsa cs over the new ones in a heartbeat.

Steve in SLO
05-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Veloflex Masters here. I haven't had the problems you're describing.

bicycletricycle
05-06-2017, 01:23 PM
I have not ridden any veloflex tires but I can attest the supple ride and durability of the compass tires, the lightweight versions are super supple and still pretty durable.

maximus
05-06-2017, 01:48 PM
Challenge Strada Bianca, in the 260 tpi version.

Robust... check.

Ride as nicely as a Veloflex... check.

This. If you want some wider tires at least.

If you want something in am ore traditional size (23c/25c) I have always liked Vittoria Vittoria Open Corsa SC's. I can only imagine the newer Vittoria Corsa G+'s are every bit as nice or nicer. Veloflex Masters are almost indistinguishable in my experience from the original Open Corsas.

If you are looking to go wider, look into Soma. The Supple Vitesse look nice and they have a couple tires that are almost identical to to Panaracer Paselas (also made by Panaracer) that lack some of the puncture protection with the goal of being lighter and potentially more supple available in a wide range of sizes.

Also, Continental recently-ish released some Gravel king tires that are more "brown"...

Edit: P.S. I have a pair of Challenge Strada Bianca with low milelage (roughly 200 tops) on em if someone wants em for cheap. The walls arent clean, but thats sorta the charm of gumwalls, no? ;) PM me.

Cicli
05-06-2017, 01:54 PM
This. If you want some wider tires at least.

If you want something in am ore traditional size (23c/25c) I have always liked Vittoria Vittoria Open Corsa SC's. I can only imagine the newer Vittoria Corsa G+'s are every bit as nice or nicer. Veloflex Masters are almost indistinguishable in my experience from the original Open Corsas.

If you are looking to go wider, look into Soma. The Supple Vitesse look nice and they have a couple tires that are almost identical to to Panaracer Paselas (also made by Panaracer) that lack some of the puncture protection with the goal of being lighter and potentially more supple available in a wide range of sizes.

Also, Continental recently-ish released some Gravel king tires that are more "brown"...
Panaracer?

thwart
05-06-2017, 01:54 PM
If you want something in a more traditional size (23c/25c) I have always liked Vittoria Open Corsa SC's.

Agreed. And in the tubular version, the 25c Corsa SC's are probably the best riding tires I've ever experienced.

R3awak3n
05-06-2017, 02:05 PM
compass tires are excellent, all the ones I have tried.

for a road bike, I am really digging the corsa G plus,

mktng
05-06-2017, 02:25 PM
compass>corsa G

had less punctures with the compass :P

but they are both phenomenal tires. if i needed to pick up a set, it purely be down to price for me.

etu
05-06-2017, 02:38 PM
compass!

FlashUNC
05-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Vittoria Corsa G+.

Never Challenge.

AJosiahK
05-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Most Challenge open tubular tires, all gunwall and great riding tires.

Vittoria are amazing too, less tough VS some challenge tho....

Challenge for cx, Vittoria for road

exapkib
05-06-2017, 02:51 PM
. . . but how could I have forgotten my beloved Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road tires?

I also love Veloflex Masters. Skinny, but they don't feel skinny on the road.

Hilltopperny
05-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Just got back from a ride on my compass chinook pass mated to my Mxxxxxo. They aren't the gum wall version, but they ride great. I have gum walled barlow pass on my duende and they might be my favorite tire of all time.

The corsa g+ are great tires as well, but I prefer the compass tires to them. All roll nice and smooth while still feeling fast.

kingpin75s
05-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Challenge 260tpi and above open tubulars are a small step above in performance IMHO after the last 5 years running PRs and pre-prod Eroica (no protection strip) tires on my primary city ride. That said, other aspects of these tires can be a "challenge". If you can make peace with them they are fantastic. YMMV yadda yadda.

That said, I am a big fan of Compass tires and find them the best balance all around.

I have a set of each on my wheel sets for my Eriksen RCR. I generally ride the Compass tires early in season when there is still a lot of grit on the trails and then switch over to the Challenge tires.

54ny77
05-06-2017, 06:01 PM
I have a wheelset with Veloflex Masters. They're very nice riding tires. Or rather, when paired with good wheels, they ride great. Importantly, they also look great.

Vamoots58
05-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Have three sets of Tubular wheels. For the last two or so years had run nothing but FMB. Have had great success with the Comp CX, Paris Roubaix, and Paris Roubaix Pro (blue sidewall). Put a pair of the new Vittoria Corsa G+ last autumn and have about 1000 miles on them. Very nice tires. Just installed a new pair of the FMB Service Course (they don't do the Comp CX anymore, tread infringement or something) tonight. Have a pair of Veloflex Roubaix's on the stretching rims, and as I mounted the Service Course tires tonight, just ordered a pair of Dugast Strada. Tried the Dugast Roubaix's but they were too wide for my frame. If I could only have one tire moving forward, it would be the FMB Paris Roubaix Pro 25's.

Vamoots58
05-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Have three sets of Tubular wheels. For the last two or so years had run nothing but FMB. Have had great success with the Comp CX, Paris Roubaix, and Paris Roubaix Pro (blue sidewall). Put a pair of the new Vittoria Corsa G+ last autumn and have about 1000 miles on them. Very nice tires. Just installed a new pair of the FMB Service Course (they don't do the Comp CX anymore, tread infringement or something) tonight, well-aged, about 10 months. Have a pair of Veloflex Roubaix's on the stretching rims, and as I mounted the Service Course tires tonight, just ordered a pair of Dugast Strada. Tried the Dugast Roubaix's but they were too wide for my frame. If I could only have one tire moving forward, it would be the FMB Paris Roubaix Pro 25's.

KSCycling
05-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Specialized S-Works Turbo Cottons. I love them for crits, the grip is on point! I have total confidence in these tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vamoots58
05-06-2017, 09:27 PM
got all excited when I mis-read the original post. Please excuse the unrequested Tubular content

dgauthier
05-06-2017, 09:54 PM
got all excited when I mis-read the original post. Please excuse the unrequested Tubular content

Heh heh. It's all useful information anyway, a lot of people on this forum only ride tubulars. Better to have it shared here than not! :beer:

Spdntrxi
05-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Turbo cottons for the win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk