PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody biked in the Dolomites?

Mr. Pink
05-05-2017, 09:43 PM
I may very well be staying in Verona for a month in the fall. Definitely going up into the mountains directly north for hiking and, you know, scenic recreation. Probably using Arraba as a base. Anybody bike those roads?

donevwil
05-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Yes, my wife and I spent four days in the Dolomites on a Cinghiale tour in '13 with Andy. Easily some of the most awesome riding and drop dead beautiful scenery of our lives. We stayed in Alleghe and enjoyed some epic and awesome climbs. I actually went hiking on the last day of the tour (instead of riding) to get deeper into the mountains.

What are you looking (hoping) for ?

Hindmost
05-05-2017, 10:51 PM
From Arraba any road any direction will be spectacular. Gotta like climbing though.

Elefantino
05-06-2017, 12:35 AM
Check back with me in three weeks. We are going to the final week of the Giro. :hello:

homagesilkhope
05-06-2017, 03:12 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but "fall" begins to sound like October and by then you'll have to prepare for quite chilly temps in Arraba - your base, not to mention on passes (and long descents!) in the Dolomites. Plus, Arraba's a pretty good hump from Verona (3+ hours by car). The Dolomites are beyond spectacular, yes, and I do make at least one foray up there every year. But even in mid-summer, staying warm on the descents can be a challenge and - anyway - a few days of up-n-down at a time'll do you. Meanwhile, there's boatloads of outstanding riding and climbing right out your door in Verona. See all those contours on the map everywhere north of the A4? There you go! And whenever you've had your fill of that, it's flat all the way to Bologna. Buona pedalata!

christian
05-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Yeah, agree, October weather could be a challenge. But riding out of Arabia is great.

1st day Sella Ronde clockwise
2nd day 48 West to Canazei then east over the Fedaia, see the Sottoguda, to Saviner de Laste, then the old road (SP563) back up to SR48
3rd day ride up to Villa Stern and then make a right and take SP24 to Pian Falzarego and go over the Falzarego pass back toward Arabba.
4th day drive to Cernadoi, ride SR48 east toward Cortina then turn right on 638, go over the Passo Giau and take SR203 back to Cernadoi.
5th day drive to Lake Misurina and ride up to the Tre Croci
6th day Sella Ronde anti-clockwise
7th day rest

woodworker
05-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Took a trip there last year with some buddies. Sole purpose was cycling. Our base was Bormio, and we rode Stelvio, Gavia, and Motirolo. All great rides. But we went in late May. There was still some snow at the upper elevations, but nothing that prevented us from doing all three within a week. All three climbs are within riding distance of a hotel in downtown Bormio. Highly recommend it, weather permitting. Greg.

merckxman
05-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Single day, tough ride: the gran fondo (long) route of the Maratona dles Dolomites, http://www.maratona.it/en/

poff
05-06-2017, 06:02 PM
I may very well be staying in Verona for a month in the fall. Definitely going up into the mountains directly north for hiking and, you know, scenic recreation. Probably using Arraba as a base. Anybody bike those roads?

I have ridden there several times. Staying in Alleghe will be more central to Arabba + Alleghe is on the shores of a beautiful lake. From Alleghe you can take SR203 to SP347 and climb Passo Duran (8% average grade) then Forcella Staulanza and then Passo Giau and get back to Alleghe for a good day of 120km/3,300m of super fun. Sella Ronda is also very close as well as Fedaia. I will be there in August for 2 weeks riding in Piedmont and Lombardy.
Cheers.

thunderworks
05-06-2017, 06:42 PM
I've not had a huge amount of experience riding in exotic places, but I have ridden both in Tuscany and the Dolemites. It's hard to imagine a better place to ride a bike than Italy. It's all spectacular.

Mr. Pink
05-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Thanks all. Yeah, October may be pushing it. Tough call. I may be happy just hiking up there, and biking down by Verona, which isn't a horrible option.

Ha, Velotel posts an Italian TR. Cool.