PDA

View Full Version : Don't fly with a pedal wrench

PeregrineA1
05-05-2017, 12:44 PM
The length limit on tools is 7" for carry on.

I just donated one to TSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hollowgram5
05-05-2017, 12:47 PM
I almost donated 10mm and 8mm allen wrenches. Luckily I had time, and was able to recall one of my bags and stash all of them in that bag..

It's a bit obnoxious they claim 'club-like' as the description, but it's the rules or something like that.

David Tollefson
05-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Yep, I lost my 25 year old Park pedal wrench last summer on a trip to Alaska. The kicker is that I was borrowing a bike in Anchorage, and we had to cut the trip short due to child care issue back home... I only got 2 rides in.

benb
05-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Funny.. having Shimano pedals it is seeming that less and less of them accept a normal pedal wrench, all the latest pedals I've gotten they machined away the flat spots for the pedal wrench to save a couple grams and you're forced to use an inferior little allen wrench instead.

I haven't gotten to use my Park pedal wrench in a while, it's a hell of a lot nicer to use!

MaraudingWalrus
05-05-2017, 12:58 PM
a couple of people make 8mm allen wrenches that are extra long and/or have a handle for removing pedals if you do it frequently. I know park and lezyne both do.

I like 'em.

AngryScientist
05-05-2017, 01:04 PM
i got some interesting questions about my alloy SPD-SLs last time i flew with them. they let me on the plane with them though, once i explained what they were.

Drmojo
05-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Funny.. having Shimano pedals it is seeming that less and less of them accept a normal pedal wrench, all the latest pedals I've gotten they machined away the flat spots for the pedal wrench to save a couple grams and you're forced to use an inferior little allen wrench instead.

I haven't gotten to use my Park pedal wrench in a while, it's a hell of a lot nicer to use!

bring back normal pedals!!

Mzilliox
05-05-2017, 01:09 PM
i lost a 8mm allen out of a set, they only took the 8mm because it was one cm over 7 inches or some crap. Im like wait, that guy has a golf club, theres a fishing rod tube strapped to my bag, that lady has who knows what kind of crap for her kids including a stroller, but most i could turn into a deadly weapon, and you are making me leave this 7inch blunt allen wrench behind?

TSA a joke, like a huge biggly joke. love being in the international terminals where all the international folks are weirded out by our procedures for "safety" here. haha.

KJMUNC
05-05-2017, 01:12 PM
TSA a joke, like a huge biggly joke. love being in the international terminals where all the international folks are weirded out by our procedures for "safety" here. haha.

this +1million. Just a jobs program at this point. If it were a business that survived on effectiveness of service it would be out of business in a month.

William
05-05-2017, 01:31 PM
And yet you can carry a steel ball point pen onboard. :rolleyes:

William

chiasticon
05-05-2017, 01:36 PM

I haven't gotten to use my Park pedal wrench in a while, it's a hell of a lot nicer to use!I use Shimano for road and Time for cx. used to use Crank Brothers. haven't used a pedal wrench in forever. I don't really miss it. I actually kinda prefer the 8mm interface to the pedal spanner one. OK, occasionally I need more leverage to remove them. but that's usually easy to find.

need one of these. lots of leverage, plus it'll work with any pedal you might run into:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/1018/products/PedalWrench_MainImage_1024x1024.jpg?v=1483502917

Mzilliox
05-05-2017, 02:00 PM
I use Shimano for road and Time for cx. used to use Crank Brothers. haven't used a pedal wrench in forever. I don't really miss it. I actually kinda prefer the 8mm interface to the pedal spanner one. OK, occasionally I need more leverage to remove them. but that's usually easy to find.

need one of these. lots of leverage, plus it'll work with any pedal you might run into:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/1018/products/PedalWrench_MainImage_1024x1024.jpg?v=1483502917

no way are they letting you take that on a plane, looks like a samurai sword could be in there

witcombusa
05-05-2017, 02:11 PM
I just put it in my BreakAway case with the bike! No worries!

AngryScientist
05-05-2017, 02:11 PM
yea, and losing a tool is bad enough, losing a super expensive bespoke tool is much worse.

R3awak3n
05-05-2017, 02:15 PM
I thought I was going to get a bunch of questions last time I flew. Had a crap load of tools on me, a porteur bike rack, tires, so much stuff. The bag was so heavy. Nothing, they let me through, all good.

jruhlen1980
05-05-2017, 02:15 PM
I tried flying with a pedal wrench but I couldn't generate enough lift.

Llewellyn
05-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why would you want to put bike tools in your carry on bag? :confused:

OtayBW
05-05-2017, 02:38 PM
And yet you can carry a steel ball point pen onboard. :rolleyes:

William
Steel ball point pen... forget that! Granny can carry her 10-in knitting needles right on there with you! [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

David Tollefson
05-05-2017, 02:46 PM
i got some interesting questions about my alloy SPD-SLs last time i flew with them. they let me on the plane with them though, once i explained what they were.

Oh, they searched my bag pretty extensively wondering what my SPDs were (stuffed into my shoes). And they wouldn't let me touch the bag to show them...

saab2000
05-05-2017, 02:58 PM
I'm not normally one to defend TSA, but the information on tools is on their website.

Want to bring something like this along? Check it in as baggage.

benb
05-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why would you want to put bike tools in your carry on bag? :confused:

Cause you're not checking a bag at all? Probably cause you're trying to save money since you're probably getting gouged to send your bike on the plane? And maybe you just don't have enough stuff to check a bag?

pdmtong
05-05-2017, 04:04 PM
A bit off topic but in the early years when the A's first came to Oakland they had all kinds of promotions. On Bat day - they actually gave away full size baseball bats. And painted kelly green.

Maybe six years ago I was visiting my brother who moved to new hampshire and there in his basement is my bat. I need this back! The reggie Jackson and dick green are long gone. This is dagoberto "campy" campaneris.

So I enter security at Logan for my BOS-SFO flight and TSA is about to confiscate my bat. Oh duh idiot. can't take a bat on an airplane. Luckily they realized it was a sentiment and not a weapon, allowed me to get it packed and checked.

So no pedal wrenches and no baseball bats.

josephr
05-05-2017, 07:16 PM
yea, and losing a tool is bad enough, losing a super expensive bespoke tool is much worse.

where you see a problem, I see an opportunity....someone needs to make a pedal wrench in a 6.5" length. :rolleyes:

Peter P.
05-05-2017, 07:28 PM
i lost a 8mm allen out of a set, they only took the 8mm because it was one cm over 7 inches or some crap. Im like wait, that guy has a golf club, theres a fishing rod tube strapped to my bag, that lady has who knows what kind of crap for her kids including a stroller, but most i could turn into a deadly weapon, and you are making me leave this 7inch blunt allen wrench behind?

Reminds me of the John Wick movies. In the first (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soAofAWEpGU), he's said to "have killed 3 men, WITH A PENCIL.

In the sequel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJZTNVdJCv0), he demonstrates.

No word on whether the pencil was over 7 inches long, however.

jlwdm
05-05-2017, 08:39 PM

Golf clubs not allowed any more. For a while we're allowing 2.

Jeff

dustyrider
05-05-2017, 09:19 PM
:hello:

i tried flying with a pedal wrench but i couldn't generate enough lift.

weisan
05-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Was on my way to D2R2 through the airport, forgot I had the Leatherman in my carry-on, got singled out by the X-ray machine, looked like it's heading for the dumpster, begged and begged, told the gentleman I needed this tool when I get over the other side to put my bike together, he finally relented, asked me to follow him to the side, offered me an "option" which I promptly agreed to, he pulled out the drawer, took out a plier, broke the blade at its hinge and returned the rest of the tool back to me.

Happy customer.

:hello:

tuscanyswe
05-06-2017, 02:53 AM

Rules for the sake of rules gotta love that .)
Here (stockholm) when i deliver stuff to the US embassy i get to turn around and show the soles of my shoes to be let in the cubical boot and leave whatever im delivering. The fact that im wearing a 70L backpack is not a concearn however. They dont even want to look whats inside. Protocols can be great im sure but sometimes they seem to miss the mark

54ny77
05-06-2017, 09:12 AM
What we most certainly don't hear in the media are the TSA successes in screenings.

I wonder if there are any.

Because they sure as hell have done nothing positive in my experience. I have countless stories of them ham-fisting my bike & gear, especially when using a bike box. On flight a couple of weeks ago had an agent sifting thru all my carry-on bike gear, asking me what this is, what that is (all in that power tripping rent-a-cop attitude, as if they were hoping I'd say something of interest). The agent literally had no idea. I so wanted to be a smart ass about it, "That's called a bike hel-met. Can you say hel-met?" But I refrained...

Elefantino
05-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Flew with Speedplays in my carry-on once and the TSA at SFO pulled me and my bag aside for inspection. The agent had apparently never seen them before and inspected them very closely. I said "those are bike pedals" and he didn't respond. Then he did the thing where he swabbed with the white disc and put it in the gizmo that checks for explosives. Satisfied, he politely returned my bag and said thanks.

RFC
05-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Reminds me of the John Wick movies. In the first (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soAofAWEpGU), he's said to "have killed 3 men, WITH A PENCIL.

In the sequel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJZTNVdJCv0), he demonstrates.

No word on whether the pencil was over 7 inches long, however.

And then there is Malcom McDowel in Firestarter 2.

Anarchist
05-06-2017, 12:04 PM
I was pulled to the side on a quick overnight flight about a year ago.

I was getting the stink eye while they made a great show of having me and my bag in a little room, they opened the bag, rooted around and came out with my shaving kit, opened it ....

The look of triumph on th guy's face when he pulled my razor out of the bag "very carefully" holding it by two fingers, was laughable.

I was informed that I could not take this on the plane. I thought he was kidding. An inch and half long double sided razor blade is seemingly a forbidden dangerous weapon primed for world domination.

They actually contemplated seizing the whole razor, rather than simply agreeing to my taking the blade out of it.

Just laughable.

bikinchris
05-06-2017, 08:04 PM
I used to love my street cuffs. it was a bike lock by Master Lock that looked like an oversized hand cuff. Well, when coming back from Paris after watching the TdF, if forgot to pack it and it was in my carry on. Their version of TSA took me aside and asked what it was. I didn't give him the keys to go with my lock.
On the other hand, they never twitch a whisker at my monopod. WHat's up with that?

pdonk
05-06-2017, 08:32 PM
My best one was a pencil sharpener. The little blade and lead dust caused a frenzy.

This is followed closely by the steel sharks in my Alden Indy boots and finally hidden rivets in jeans were I basically mooned the security guard.

bikinchris
05-06-2017, 08:40 PM
where you see a problem, I see an opportunity....someone needs to make a pedal wrench in a 6.5" length. :rolleyes:

The pedal wrench on my S&S coupler tool is shorter than that. Probably 5 inches. Frankly, that's all you need.

You aughta see what they do to a coupled bike at my local airport. Pisses me off every time.

PeregrineA1
05-07-2017, 09:18 AM
My better half works in Nor Cal and we live in So Cal. We just down sized our Nor Cal apartment, so no room for a third bike. This, i needed to disassemble a BikeFlight one home. For the quick weekend flight I never check a bag.

I bought a new one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk