PDA

View Full Version : Back on the bike... 50/34 or 52/36

PNW
05-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Since I stopped riding, 52/36 has seemed to emerge. I've read good things about it and the versatility. I live in Oregon so want want easy enough gears to climb with but also need some for flats as well. I ran a 50/34 on my last three bikes that I owned but the 52/36 seems attractive.

In regards to the cassette going with either..what is the best versatile cassette ratio? Debating between an 11-27, 12-27, 11-29, and 12-29. I am ordering everything today or tomorrow so want to make sure I get the best all around setup for myself. Remember my other post, I will be getting on the bike and just riding for awhile at first!

eBAUMANN
05-05-2017, 11:59 AM
52/36 and 11-29
best of both worlds

palincss
05-05-2017, 12:05 PM
The "best" cassette and chain ring combination is the one that gives you the range of gears you need: the low you need, the high you need, the "right" sized steps (for you) between gears, and puts your base cruising gear on level terrain in the middle of the cassette.

aki
05-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Since I stopped riding, 52/36 has seemed to emerge. I've read good things about it and the versatility. I live in Oregon so want want easy enough gears to climb with but also need some for flats as well. I ran a 50/34 on my last three bikes that I owned but the 52/36 seems attractive.

In regards to the cassette going with either..what is the best versatile cassette ratio? Debating between an 11-27, 12-27, 11-29, and 12-29. I am ordering everything today or tomorrow so want to make sure I get the best all around setup for myself. Remember my other post, I will be getting on the bike and just riding for awhile at first!
how often did you use 11 cog with 50?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
05-05-2017, 12:33 PM
depends imo. Super hilly, compact. hilly with rollers, mid compact. Flat, standard. That said I do love mid compact.

back I like 28t on shimano or 29t on campy cassette.

enr1co
05-05-2017, 12:35 PM
50 /34, 11-29 rear. No need to bust your knees.
Even as your fitness returns, 50x11 is plenty to mash or spin out unless you find yourself hanging out in CAT 1-2 crits.

Bostic
05-05-2017, 12:48 PM
I just swapped chain rings on my Sagan Camoflauge Venge from 52/36 to 50/34 and it feels like a brand new bike after owning it a year and a half. There is just something about the lower gear inches of the 34 ring I prefer on the climbs where I live in San Jose.

vqdriver
05-05-2017, 12:49 PM
when i think of the times i wanted a gear i didn't have, i don't hardly ever thinking about that time i spun out my top gear. 52/36 or 50/34 will give you the same 16t jump, so if you're good with that, the choice is if you'd prefer the 52 or the 34.

as for cassettes, it'll depend on what crankset you pick since changing (or having mulitple) cassettes is far cheaper than the other way around.

oldpotatoe
05-05-2017, 01:14 PM
The "best" cassette and chain ring combination is the one that gives you the range of gears you need: the low you need, the high you need, the "right" sized steps (for you) between gears, and puts your base cruising gear on level terrain in the middle of the cassette.

What he said plus remember when you add a cog on the outside of the cogset(11-27 vs 12-27), you lose an interior cog, like a 16t, that you will use WAY more than the 11t. A 52/11 is a YUGE gear also.

Here in Colorado, I am very happy with a 48/36 and 12-25 11s but gearing is the ultimate 'YMMV'.

bigbill
05-05-2017, 01:15 PM
I live in a flat to rolling area and one of my bikes has a 50/34 with a 12-27. Unless I'm pushing a headwind for a long time, I'm in the big ring all the time. I'm a little ambivalent about my foray into compact, the 34 seems a little low unless I go with a different cassette.

Mzilliox
05-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Only you know the answer man
i have a 50-34 on the bike that gets gravel duty, i run a 52-36 on the bike that sees not so much gravel. i need the lower gears for climbing loose stuff, not as much for climbing pavement, but i like to climb.

if you have no plans to race, stick with a 50-34, plenty there to go fast, and like other said, paired with an 11 small cog, its a lot of gear

Ralph
05-05-2017, 01:24 PM
I will give up a super tall gear for a useful middle gear any day.

Erik_A
05-05-2017, 01:30 PM
I don't think that anyone needs a 52, unless they race. Also 34, isn't needed (unless you are doing loaded touring) now that 11-32t cassettes are usable with a road derailleur. So I would say 36/50 or better yet 38/48 which is what I like. 11 and 48 will give you over 20mph ay 60 rpm cadence:
http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Gummee
05-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Sigh

Gone are the days of 42/52 and corncob freewheels.

Listen to y'all! 32t cogs? 34t chainrings?! What's next? Pedal assist?!

The times they are a changin

(yes, that's a joke)

To the OP: I have some of each size: std, compact, and mid-compact. Std and mid-compact are pretty close to each other. A 36 x 23 is going to feel like a 39 x 25 (ish)

There's an extra shift in the back when going from big ring to small ring in the compact if you want to maintain the same (ish) gear. Some folks think that's a big deal, some don't

M

fogrider
05-05-2017, 03:12 PM
so I have come to really like the mid compact, but I'm really liking the compact too! I know gearing is gearing, but for some reason I really like climbing in the big ring. for some reason it just feels like the power transfer is better. I know it's just in my head...

eBAUMANN
05-05-2017, 03:23 PM
so I have come to really like the mid compact, but I'm really liking the compact too! I know gearing is gearing, but for some reason I really like climbing in the big ring. for some reason it just feels like the power transfer is better. I know it's just in my head...

not necessarily...a big/big ring/cog combo will turn smoother with less binding compared to a small/small or even a small/big combo. its why a lot of guys will run gearing like 52/17 or something on the track instead of 48x13, or whatever.

shovelhd
05-05-2017, 03:30 PM
I raced for years on a standard 39/53. When I retired, I switched to a 36/52 mid-compact and never looked back. I have a little more low and a little less high gear but the overall effect is better gearing where I want it. I like it so much I put it on my travel bike as well.

OtayBW
05-05-2017, 03:46 PM
A lot of good points here, but I have to admit that I don't really understand how anyone can get an idea of what is the 'best cassette ratio/chain ring combination' for their style of riding, or fitness level, or local topography, or anything like that. The 'heavy lifting' is figuring out for yourself what works for you, and then perhaps dialing it in based on the good recommendations here.

eBAUMANN
05-05-2017, 03:49 PM
A lot of good points here, but I have to admit that I don't really understand how anyone can get an idea of what is the 'best cassette ratio/chain ring combination' for their style of riding, or fitness level, or local topography, or anything like that. The 'heavy lifting' is figuring out for yourself what works for you, and then perhaps dialing it in based on the good recommendations here.

agreed, best way to go is to just get one and try it out. i tried a compact for one ride, hated it. and that was that!

PNW
05-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions! I am going to roll a 52/36 for now and if I don't care for it I will figure it out. In regards to a cassette I'm still figuring that out! I'll be rolling a Campy Chorus cassette for my everyday wheel set.

CliffordK
05-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Sigh

Gone are the days of 42/52 and corncob freewheels.

Listen to y'all! 32t cogs? 34t chainrings?! What's next? Pedal assist?!

The times they are a changin

(yes, that's a joke)

To the OP: I have some of each size: std, compact, and mid-compact. Std and mid-compact are pretty close to each other. A 36 x 23 is going to feel like a 39 x 25 (ish)

There's an extra shift in the back when going from big ring to small ring in the compact if you want to maintain the same (ish) gear. Some folks think that's a big deal, some don't

M
My old bike, I thought I'd go really "compact" by installing a 41T :rolleyes:

I will admit that last year I struggled on a hill ride up in Portland, bottoming out at 39-23.
http://www.rondepdx.com/

There are a LOT of steep climbs :eek:

This year I went back with the 34-23, and still struggled, but did much better. I don't think I'll go to easier gears, just yet. Maybe try for 10 pounds less before the next hill ride.

One thought, though, is that it depends on where a person is riding. There is a LOT of flat riding to the North between Eugene and Portland. And, of course, some hills to the East, West, and South.

Most of my typical rides have short hills that I can just power up.

The nice thing about the "mid" is that I believe it uses the standard 110/112 crankset for the not quite new cranksets, so sprockets can be easily changed as needed.

stephenmarklay
05-08-2017, 09:43 PM
I have been running 52/36 with an 11-28 for a couple years. I really like it but honesty I could use a 32 in the rear.

The only time I would like it as the tail end of 3+ hour rides that have steep climbs >10% on the last portion of the ride. But then I really want it. If the pace is fast I have to stand and grind.